What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2023 -ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking really great! Very bushy with lots of branches, going to yield well. Welcome back to outdoor growing, enjoy watching them grow to their potential! :smoke:

Sounds like some great crosses, Mitsuharu. You want some quick flowering genetics for the corn grow. Got full sun though, so the plants should move along well and stack quickly. Hope you get some rain on them! :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sweet getting another good storm popping up right over the garden! Should see this trend continue over the next month.

1688180644976.png

1688180669293.png

therevverend

Veteran
I don’t know about any of you other growers,But it’s been nothing but overcast really crappy outside to be honest with you it’s a miracle anything is vegging at all but they seem to be vegging I hate when it’s like this I want to sunshine for goodness sake!

I think we're all going to be living with smoke for a long time now. You're very lucky it's in veg, not the 2nd half of flowering like we've had the last few years in my part of the world. Last year wasn't bad but the two years before that were a mold nightmare. The smoke blocks the UV light and doesn't allow the flowers to dry out between rains.

Big plants planted late getting thirsty.

That's a problem, I like to at least get my plants in by late June so I don't have to water every day. My problem is worse, it's kind of baffling. I have newly transplanted plants that are wilting despite having plenty of water. The more I water the worse the wilting gets. Here's an example, a plant I put in 5 or 6 days ago.

View media item 18711438
And this is the soil underneath, to show there is water down there.

View media item 18711437
Before a lack of mulching is pointed out as the problem. I don't like extensively mulching because it gets wet where I live. I need the ground to dry out quickly and the mulch will often start to rot. I like to let my roots dry out between waterings. It's not heat but moisture that's my problem. Might be the problem I'm having here. Even though it's hot dry weather the roots might not be getting enough oxygen.

It's not fusarium, hasn't been in the ground long enough to contract a disease. Lots of healthy roots in it's original rootball. As soon as the hot sun is no longer hitting the plant the wilt goes away and it looks fine. This goes on for a week or two until the plant grows out of it. Although I've had plants take a month to grow out of it causing me problems.

Here's a look at a purple Hopar Valley landrace cultivar. Seeds from @Landrace Warden . It took a long time to kick in, now that it has it's growing vigorously and smells wonderful. The stalk is very crooked. It's bent in at least 3 places, including underground where it emerged from the soil.

View media item 18711436

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is that Indiana Bubblegum a 40 year old clone? I guess you meant the line is 40 years old? Who has the the best Indiana Bubblegum for sale? I have some bubblegum in my cultivar, Sour Bubble, and bubblegum. Looks like a keeper! :smoke:

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Is that Indiana Bubblegum a 40 year old clone? I guess you meant the line is 40 years old? Who has the the best Indiana Bubblegum for sale? I have some bubblegum in my cultivar, Sour Bubble, and bubblegum. Looks like a keeper! :smoke:
Amazing to think that mother plants are kept for decades like that. They must look like Bonsai trees by the first few years, all gnarly and woody-stemmed.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I doubt the mothers are that old, I didnt think they'd last that long, especially considering what Reverend was sharing about mothers losing vigor over time even just after 2-3 years..

Indiana bubblegum was the original bubblegum as far as I know and has been the starting point for the bubblegum we now have today. The White Label Bubblegum which BOG used has the Indiana Bubblegum I think.

seedfinder.eu

Crazy Chester

Man that’s a surprise ! do you any shots of the whole plant?

I've got two of them going outdoors right now - they're growing in the middle of a bunch of others, but I'll see if I can pull them out to get some full plant photos today.

Curious - what did you find surprising about the pic?

Swamp Thang

Veteran
It's more convenient to renew the moms taking a new cut every so often and throwing the mom away
Ah, I see. This sounds like a more feasible explanation of how genetics are preserved for so long. I did a little reading up on mother plants and learned that they have to have their roots pruned regularly, which would become quite a chore after several years for sure.

Crazy Chester

Are you harvesting that outdoors? Is it an auto bubblegum I assume? Who is the breeder? Please share some more pics with us!

I'd love to know who bred it - but I don't. I didn't pop it from seed - I just acquired the clone.

It's a not an auto - it has to be just a regular photo-period plant because I've kept a mother plant of her for years.

My understanding is that this is the original Indiana Bubblegum clone popped from seed probably 4+ decades ago that various seed makers have used to create bubblegum seeds. I think BOG used it to create Bogbubble. Serious Seeds used it to create its bubblegum strain also.

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
Ah, I see. This sounds like a more feasible explanation of how genetics are preserved for so long. I did a little reading up on mother plants and learned that they have to have their roots pruned regularly, which would become quite a chore after several years for sure.

There is some debate around what's the better method.

There is this cool bonsai mom method on another forum, that I don't think I'm allowed to link you to. But if you search for oldtimer1 bonsai mom, you will find it. He does keep his mini moms for years even though they are in small pots.
0f92f60adfdcd16adfad1ab247050aa8fb82be24.jpg

I never keep a mom more than 6-7 months myself. I like moms to be as small as possible. The main benefits are saving space, and limiting the risk of pests building up. I have had great success with this as far as bugs go. My mom propagator is in my office, away from my growing space, and never saw a single bug in it. Fingers crossed. Fluorescents like T5 help keep the plants small and growing slowly, if that's what you want.

The benefit of a bigger mom is you know she'lle give you however many clones every 2-3 weeks, if you grow in that style. Others just use a mini moms as a way to keep the genetics around.

Some people will argue that taking cuts from cuts leads to loss of quality (genetic drift they call it) but I have not experienced this. As long as you make sure the cut you take is perfectly healthy, I believe it's the same exact plant although I have no proof. I usually take 3-4 cuts, and keep the best looking one.

Crazy Chester

Amazing to think that mother plants are kept for decades like that. They must look like Bonsai trees by the first few years, all gnarly and woody-stemmed.

Exactly!

I've found this one to be especially difficult to keep as a mother plant for very long.

Although I think old clones become more and more difficult to keep the longer they are in veg - this one I have to replace my mom with a new clone off her every couple months due to how she responds to topping and my limited vertical space.

Her plant structure weakens considerably the more she is topped.

flower-power wanted a full plant shot - I'll get one in the next hour or so because I've got two flowering right now - one was topped only once I think and the other was a mother plant for at least six months and was topped a lot. The one that was topped only once has grown fairly normal and needed no support. But, the one that was topped a lot needed a lot of support and grew in a very interesting circuitous way, lol! But, I'll post a pic later so you can see for your self.

Crazy Chester

I do believe the clone is 40 years old. In other words, this plant was popped from seed back then. But, mine is a clone of a clone of a clone, etc. - I got it from somebody who got it from somebody, etc., who got it from the mysterious person who actually popped the seed way back then. But, I did not get a clone from someone 40 years ago and keep that particular cutting alive as a mom for four decades, lol. My cut is the same plant as the original plant that popped from seed - it's just been cloned and cloned by who knows how many growers for decades and I intend to continue doing that indefinitely to keep her around indefinitely. She's one of my favorite plants that I don't ever want to lose.

Crazy Chester

There is some debate around what's the better method.

There is this cool bonsai mom method on another forum, that I don't think I'm allowed to link you to. But if you search for oldtimer1 bonsai mom, you will find it. He does keep his mini moms for years even though they are in small pots.
View attachment 18860231

I never keep a mom more than 6-7 months myself. I like moms to be as small as possible. The main benefits are saving space, and limiting the risk of pests building up. I have had great success with this as far as bugs go. My mom propagator is in my office, away from my growing space, and never saw a single bug in it. Fingers crossed. Fluorescents like T5 help keep the plants small and growing slowly, if that's what you want.

The benefit of a bigger mom is you know she'lle give you however many clones every 2-3 weeks, if you grow in that style. Others just use a mini moms as a way to keep the genetics around.

Some people will argue that taking cuts from cuts leads to loss of quality (genetic drift they call it) but I have not experienced this. As long as you make sure the cut you take is perfectly healthy, I believe it's the same exact plant although I have no proof. I usually take 3-4 cuts, and keep the best looking one.
That's a beautiful bonsai mom! Very difficult keeping a mom that long without replacing her with one of her clones. Yet, your pic proves it can be done.

Crazy Chester

Who has the the best Indiana Bubblegum for sale? :smoke:
I'm not sure what seeds are the best to get. But, Serious Seeds has pictures posted that look very much like this clone. I recently acquired an older Serious Seeds Bubblegum F1 that I haven't flowered out yet. I definitely see the Indiana Bubblegum clone in her leaf shape and plant structure in veg. I've heard that the Bubblegum terps on the Serious Seeds version has a bit of Strawberry in it - like she has a "Bubblelicious" thing going on. That's slightly different than the Indiana Bubblegum clone. The Indiana Bubblegum clone's terps are more like plain bubblegum - like the bubblegum you get with baseball cards - and it's very sweet.

Crazy Chester

Here's the Indiana Bubblegum clone full plant photo - heavily topped on the left and topped once or twice on the right.

IB full plant.jpg

The buds on these are a little different than normal - less dense - due to the fact that they've been outdoors since Valentine's Day. I think the fact that they went through steadily increasing daylight hours - straight through the solstice - created a slight re-veg effect that lessened the density of the buds. But, it's more pronounced on other plants I put outdoors at the same time. In a normal outdoor grow where flowering is naturally happening in the late summer and fall, or, in an indoor grow, she's a pretty fast flowerer - done by day 60, IMO. But, these have flowered for over four months! The increasing daylight hours slowed the flower maturation big time.

Last edited: