What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2023 -ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

therevverend

Veteran
been giving her 15ml canna a&b with 5ml calmag per gallon. You suggest adding some pk 13/14 for a week or so?

I usually grow 7ft plants in 5 gal buckets outdoor, I went 5x larger this year with the 25gal bag.

Good you're giving her the right stuff. You may not need the pk because the canna a and b is well balanced, you want a ratio around 3-2-2, N still dominate. Big plants re-vegging outdoors eat a lot, she needs a lot of N as well.

Your 25 gallon bag is probably fine, you mentioned that she might be rootbound already. I always stick my plants in the ground, if I have room, because a plant in the ground will always get bigger than one in a container. The downside is being stuck, not able to move the plant around. Even if your soil sucks you can fill your hole with goodies and make sure it drains well.

A 'naturally' grown cannabis plant in the ground outside develops a massive root system, only about a foot deep but 3-6 feet in all directions, basically a carpet of roots. There's just no way a container can replace the space they need. As container growers we make up for that by using rich mixes and feeding much heavier than you would almost any other plant. I've seen re-vegged plants the size of yours get massive when stuck in a hole. Just something to think about, she'll do fine if you leave her in the 25 gal.

At some point I think you're going to need to prune the hell out of her. Re-vegged plants outdoors always produce way, way too many new shoots. I can see it happening already on yours. You'll probably do better waiting a week or two until the re-veg is fully under way but you'll probably need to remove 1/3 of the tops plus a bunch of leaf. You want to direct the new growth into 15-30 main tops. I'm not a big pruner, I don't like leafing unless I have to but sometimes it's necessary.

20 years ago or so a buddy of mine had a plant he called the 'crystal sativa'. It was the best of strains, the parent stock was a purple type with fairly wide leaves. For some reason this particular seeding didn't turn purple and had extremely thin leaves. It produced like crazy and was one of the frostiest plants I've seen. It was always bushy, always wanted to produce lots of tops like a rasta's dreadlocks.

It was the most naturally re-veggable plant I've ever seen. He revegged it indoors a couple times and gave it to me to reveg. I stuck it in a 10 gallon pot, revegged it under a 1000 watt light and it got massive. I removed dozens of tops, leafed it several times, still ended up with 30-40 main colas, huge yield, best smoke ever.

I harvested her indoors in May and gave the frame back to my friend . He stuck it in a huge hole he dug in his back yard. By the time it revegged for the last time it had over a 100 tops, he had to remove half of them plus piles of leaves.

He had to keep it under 6 feet tall so the neighbors couldn't see it. He hung bricks off it to tie it down. It would lift the bricks and still get too tall. It was 6 foot, 10 feet around, weirdest ganja bush you've ever seen, extremely thin sativa leaves, dozens of tops, with all these bricks tied to the branches hanging down. If his neighbors saw it they probably thought he was nuts. He got a few lbs, it was amazing. Your plant could surprise you.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Good you're giving her the right stuff. You may not need the pk because the canna a and b is well balanced, you want a ratio around 3-2-2, N still dominate. Big plants re-vegging outdoors eat a lot, she needs a lot of N as well.

Your 25 gallon bag is probably fine, you mentioned that she might be rootbound already. I always stick my plants in the ground, if I have room, because a plant in the ground will always get bigger than one in a container. The downside is being stuck, not able to move the plant around. Even if your soil sucks you can fill your hole with goodies and make sure it drains well.

A 'naturally' grown cannabis plant in the ground outside develops a massive root system, only about a foot deep but 3-6 feet in all directions, basically a carpet of roots. There's just no way a container can replace the space they need. As container growers we make up for that by using rich mixes and feeding much heavier than you would almost any other plant. I've seen re-vegged plants the size of yours get massive when stuck in a hole. Just something to think about, she'll do fine if you leave her in the 25 gal.

At some point I think you're going to need to prune the hell out of her. Re-vegged plants outdoors always produce way, way too many new shoots. I can see it happening already on yours. You'll probably do better waiting a week or two until the re-veg is fully under way but you'll probably need to remove 1/3 of the tops plus a bunch of leaf. You want to direct the new growth into 15-30 main tops. I'm not a big pruner, I don't like leafing unless I have to but sometimes it's necessary.

20 years ago or so a buddy of mine had a plant he called the 'crystal sativa'. It was the best of strains, the parent stock was a purple type with fairly wide leaves. For some reason this particular seeding didn't turn purple and had extremely thin leaves. It produced like crazy and was one of the frostiest plants I've seen. It was always bushy, always wanted to produce lots of tops like a rasta's dreadlocks.

It was the most naturally re-veggable plant I've ever seen. He revegged it indoors a couple times and gave it to me to reveg. I stuck it in a 10 gallon pot, revegged it under a 1000 watt light and it got massive. I removed dozens of tops, leafed it several times, still ended up with 30-40 main colas, huge yield, best smoke ever.

I harvested her indoors in May and gave the frame back to my friend . He stuck it in a huge hole he dug in his back yard. By the time it revegged for the last time it had over a 100 tops, he had to remove half of them plus piles of leaves.

He had to keep it under 6 feet tall so the neighbors couldn't see it. He hung bricks off it to tie it down. It would lift the bricks and still get too tall. It was 6 foot, 10 feet around, weirdest ganja bush you've ever seen, extremely thin sativa leaves, dozens of tops, with all these bricks tied to the branches hanging down. If his neighbors saw it they probably thought he was nuts. He got a few lbs, it was amazing. Your plant could surprise you.
Thank you for giving me hope man!
I actually give away most of what I get outdoors to my old neighbors that smoke. They try to grow but not much. Indoor is for the clients, outdoor is to give a reason for any smell lol.

This is what the other plants from that strain did indoor
IMG_20230609_050521404_HDR~2.jpg
IMG_20230604_230525079~2.jpg
IMG_20230518_194512618_HDR~2.jpg

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
What animals does the plastic fence protect the plants from ?

I have to use similar fences indoors and outdoors.

and beneath the plants, sometimes.
None really. I just use it as a bit of a wind block as well as something to tie the plants too because the bigger ones will blow over otherwise. Gonna get them into the ground tomorrow then we got a few days of wet weather. Hoping they can spread some roots during that time. Hoping for a great year 😁

St. Phatty

Yes they smell great, and you can smell then from afar. They smell flowery, like jasmine, roses or something like that, but kind of sweet as well.

I looked up how to make perfume, since I got a few rose bushes that have 1000+ flowers each.

Turns out it's a lot like making Hash oil.

Just soak the petals in Ethanol, e.g. cheap vodka.

When the cactus flower starts to wilt, it would be enough to make a tiny ampule of perfume.

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
I looked up how to make perfume, since I got a few rose bushes that have 1000+ flowers each.

Turns out it's a lot like making Hash oil.

Just soak the petals in Ethanol, e.g. cheap vodka.

When the cactus flower starts to wilt, it would be enough to make a tiny ampule of perfume.
I guess you could! I'm not really a perfume guy though, I have enough with my Eau d'Aphide.

If I was to make some perfume, the plants from my garden that I would use would be the night jasmine and the lemon verbena (translated with google, not sure if accurate - "galán de noche" and "hierbaluisa"). If those are available where you live maybe try making perfume with those as well. Sometimes when I walk near the lemon verbena I have to stop and stick my head inside the bush and take deep breaths because the lemon/mint smell is so addictive. Even when it's not in flower.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good news for those who can water! Drought persists or develops through the end of September for much of the midwest USA! :smoke:

1686944501815.png

St. Phatty

It was a 3 foot tall plant that went into re-veg about 1/2 way into flowering.

Now it's a 4 foot tall plant with very elongated buds, that are stretching, showing resin and baby seeds.

I expect at some point there will be some "nodes", places where new branches grow from.

The father was the Trifoliate male, Blueberry Headband cross.

This one, is a Blueberry Headband cross.

Besides Blue HB, the most common grandparent & great grandparent in the family tree is Apollo 11, 2014 vintage.

The smell is piney, like the Lime version of a Fuel Solvent smell.

UPDATE: I took a closer look. There are nodes about every 1/2 inch, like you see on the main stem of some Indicas - except this is on the branches.

It's going to be a funny looking plant !

Now I've upgraded to Full Strength NPK compost tea. Human Urine for Nitrogen and Chicken Manure for NPK. I dilute the urine 1:1 with water, then mix in a compost tea that is a saturated solution of Chicken Poop.
'
To get the Poopwater, I mix the chicken manure by hand in a BLACK bucket, because I want it to heat up.
I vaguely recall that the heat helps the water to absorb as much chicken manure chemicals as it can.

Then I dole it out in 1/2 gallon milk containers. The urine goes in 1 gallon milk containers.

That way I can move quickly at watering time, 3 buckets with 4 gallons in each bucket, to feed 12 apple trees, in that case.

If they die I'll know it was a bad idea !

Attachments

• IMG_20221011_042843-bush.jpg
    IMG_20221011_042843-bush.jpg
    331.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

St. Phatty

This afternoon I moved the little plants outside. Will transplant them to 3L in a few days.
View attachment 18854972
View attachment 18854973

What's that thing in the picture - a bird-house ?

For a minute I thought it was a special construction to dry Pot.

The top of my plants look like yours.

But that group of plants has longer stems ... that have no leaves because they had spider mites and now they are recovering.

Looks like you have avoided that pitfall.

Are you going to cut the growing tip at some point ? ( to persuade the plant to grow more branches. )