What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

OUTDOOR GROWS 2023 -ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE-

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
I don't smoke often either and I use one of these
pipa-red-eye-amazed-cromada.jpg

The design of it is quite interesting I think, the smoke goes through a zig zaagging path to make it as long as possible which I guess cools the smoke somewhat.

In the mornings when I'm working I can't get too high or everything goes wrong lol. This just gives you 2-3 hits which is practical for just a little mid morning sativa kick in the butt.

And speaking of butt it does look like something one would stick up there 😂

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
So what do you guys do for medicating? Do you vape more or use that olive oil or other concentrate?

I love smoking because it helps me select the most potent plants and dial in my choices for seed selection in planting.

I always smoke about 1-3 hits and go do my thing. I really don't like getting too medicated most of the time, usually smoke more when just when hanging around friends for the most part.

Thats a cool pipe, kind of similar to this one Shiva showed me. He has a reusable vaporizer, which looks similar, but the coils always go out and have to be replaced.

Glass is the best. I always use a zippo ligher. Smoking is an artform, you almost have to play the thing like a wind instrument to get the right toke, breathe in a good amount of air with the smoke is the secret. Takes lots of practice I guess, but from what I can tell th best way to deliver the medicine in the system is smoking as cool as possible with a zippo and pipe.

Take relatively small tokes, clear with lots of air and have long exhales. Turns good flower into expando bud and you keep exhaling smoke and getting more effect. Try it and taste the difference!

I don't really like waterpipes or the vapor brothers, just let me have my pipe. :smoke:

full

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
I like everything. At night I will use a bong or roll a joint. Sometimes edibles. The rest of the time I vape. I used to smoke a lot of cigarettes for a long time, this is why I partially switched to vaping. I feel better when I smoke less. But I like the high better with combustion. Every form of consumption will give you different aspects to the effect.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah its neat how certain terpines vaporize at different temperatures, which stratifies the effect. You want to try to catch it all, don't lose any smoke! :smoke:

And don't get me wrong I like smoking about anything, but the one I really can't stand is the wax concentrate vape pens, way too strong. Guess I need to take one home and do some experimenting.

We are not legal to sell vape pens here, but I have been finding the empty boxes on the side of the road. Have found Dabwoods, Zeus, and Crave brand. Wish I could buy one to try it out, but from what I have tried, they are too strong for me since I do well with light doses. Heavy doses are good at certain times, but still unless I'm in pain those concentrates hit too hard!

Flower is better because it mixes air in with the terpenes which helps, but live resin has advantages in preservation of the full profile I would assume. There are breeders working on breeding for concentrate extraction efficient breeds of cannabis according to The Potcast.

Out to plant veggies, got a half inch of rain this morning, but should be dry enough now late afternoon, going to knock out some transplants before the next batch of rain. Could show up at any minute really.

revegeta666

Not ICMag Donor
Yeah its neat how certain terpines vaporize at different temperatures, which stratifies the effect. You want to try to catch it all, don't lose any smoke! :smoke:

And don't get me wrong I like smoking about anything, but the one I really can't stand is the wax concentrate vape pens, way too strong. Guess I need to take one home and do some experimenting.

We are not legal to sell vape pens here, but I have been finding the empty boxes on the side of the road. Have found Dabwoods, Zeus, and Crave brand. Wish I could buy one to try it out, but from what I have tried, they are too strong for me since I do well with light doses. Heavy doses are good at certain times, but still unless I'm in pain those concentrates hit too hard!

Flower is better because it mixes air in with the terpenes which helps, but live resin has advantages in preservation of the full profile I would assume. There are breeders working on breeding for concentrate extraction efficient breeds of cannabis according to The Potcast.

Out to plant veggies, got a half inch of rain this morning, but should be dry enough now late afternoon, going to knock out some transplants before e next batch of rain. Could show up at any minute really.
Yeah I meant vaping flower. Not a fan of rosin at all. Too strong for me to enjoy it as well.

Hashislife

Hello friends,
I don't post so much this year, I don't have time, for making hash too hahaha 🤣
But when I can like today I go to post some pics of my 2023 grow (when I have time for making hash I show it too).
For the moment I have four strains

Diet Durban thcv
IMG_20230508_200439.jpg

Jamaican dream

IMG_20230508_203309.jpg
IMG_20230508_203313.jpg

Himalaya gold
IMG_20230508_203305.jpg

Og Kush sfv, two very different phenotype, the sativa phenotype surprised me with this genetic (og Kush x afghan)
Sativa phenotype
IMG_20230508_200423.jpg

Classic phenotype
IMG_20230508_200310.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looking great guys! Starting to see some growth here. Plants don't want to move until they see some warm weather. Looks like you're on your way to a good harvest!

What are you using for growing media?

40degsouth

Hey everyone, l hope you’re all well.
I’ve been trying to update the thread for a while but there was something going on with the server. Anyway the Ancient Og f5 only made it to just under six feet; unlike the seed mother the clone slowed right down early and didn’t get to ten feet. This is a bit of a rookie mistake and something l should of forseen but it really doesn’t matter. So not to self, probably put the clone in at 300mm, or one foot, on the 27th November (May) in order to get to the ten foot mark not 150mm🤣🤣
A45D7619-4541-4353-BFDE-05EACB896014.jpeg
8BA44477-0DB3-45F1-B71D-FE438C8343AF.jpeg
And here’s a shot of the third and final pick of my beautiful Blackdog girl. This one’s been through frosts and a little bit of snow. If you can find them…..get ’em in.
759D5C29-E133-48C5-8FD8-B61AD28B29DB.jpeg
I’m really enjoying everyone’s pictures and looking forward to seeing how they turn out.
Cheers,

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah that looks like a plant I want to grow!

Thanks for the tips, i tried to get them a good start this year, but I had a few things to learn I guess.

One of my germination flats has bigger leaves than the other, and I found out why. One of my 3-light lamps I put a LED and a CFL bulb, the other lamp only has incandescent bulbs, so one of the flats was getting a total of 1500 Lumens more than the other flat!

Learning a lot this year about starting early, incandescents don't cut it looks like. It works, but the plants eat up the light! Temperatures are essential when young seedlings, keep them in the upper 60's or above.

Found a volunteer seedling in the grass out by the vegetable garden! Got it planted up, and its perked up trying to grow. The volunteers in the garden are pretty stunted from the cold nights. Will see how they look when its time to plant. Will probably be weekend after this when they get planted out. Want to give them a chance to get some momentum.

Looking forward to more fresh medicine. Jars are cured out and are smoking just right at this point! Cheers! :smoke:

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Recent batch of seedlings have caught the wave. They are ready to go in this weekend! They're have fat leaves about 3/4 inch to an inch long and are growing fast!

The 2nd round seedlings a few are good, but many will be scrapped due to fertilizer burn.

If you use dry composted chicken manure make sure to only use 1-1.5 cups per cubic foot growing media!

Got rain this weekend, supposed to cool down and dry out a bit after that. I think these need to go in as soon as possible because the weather here may flip hot and they may have to be watered.

Its go time! Got a passing thunderstorm this morning. Will get a shot up soon!:smoke:

Funkalicious

Hi folks!

Starting the guerilla season here, getting those Weed Muscles working. We prepared the soil and structure of the terraces for planting. We are growing at approx 1000m altitude so it's too cold to plant now, we will wait until early June.

Here are a couple terraces.
IMG-20230512-WA0023~2.jpg

IMG-20230513-WA0000~2.jpg

The babies are back inside under lights.
We will do our best to make clones from them today, and we will likely source other clones from people we know :)

In the tent
Thai Chi (ACE)
ErdPurt (ACE)
ErdbeerX (Austrian breeder)
Cheese 🧀
Cheese Gelato (bagseed)

IMG_20230512_231344.jpg

St. Phatty

Today is the first day of seriously HOT sun.

I will be lucky to get everything watered, let alone add nutes.

BUT I'M WONDERING - Is it good to give the plants more nutes when they get more light ?

I have a feeling that's the way photosynthesis works.

Though of course maybe the roots like to have some TIME to work on things.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
They only need so much, but yea once they start growing and seeing sun at about 4-6 weeks they start needing fertilizer, and also every month or so after that if top dressing.

Plants only need about 3-4 lbs nitrogen I think. Need to check with Purdue Hemp Research Project to see how much N is recommended for cannabis.

Don't burn them though! Easy does it! :smoke:

Nice terraces! Thats really slick! Going to yield heavy with all the drainage. Looks like a nice sunny spot. Thanks for sharing! :smoke:

Planted the garden yesterday with the round 3 seedlings since they were growing. Going to grade though the second round of starts which got N burn from overfertilized seedling mix, then transplanted to stage 2 containers. They look like they want to grow, so going to squeeze them in!

Maybe the Deep Chunk will want to grow.

Right now everything is pretty close to originally planned:

Sativa Candy Chunk cultivar F12 (my cultivar)

Pine Tar Kush

Deep Chunk x Blueberry

Deep Chunk x Las Vegas Purple Kush x Hindu Kush

Sterling Skunk IBL

Early Skunk V2 x Lebanese

Uzbekistani IBL

X-Mas Bud IBL

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran

Hemp Growth and Development​

• Hemp is a short-day plant. Short-day plants develop flowers only when the day length is less than 14-12 hours depending on the cultivar. For best results in Indiana, earlier planting will promote greater vegetative growth resulting in more robust plants for seed, and taller plants with higher fiber yields. However, extremely early planting for grain-specific hemp may make harvest difficult depending on how high your combine head can go. Very early planting can also be problematic for cannabinoid producers. Plants may become too large to easily manage and stalk splitting or lodging is more likely. Days begin to get shorter after June 21st, and approximately four to five weeks after this date, vegetative growth slows and flower development is triggered. We have seen flowering begin much early though, sometimes two to three weeks after June 21st. Just like we have soybeans for specific latitudes, we will also need to see hemp for specific latitudes to maximize yields. In addition to these photoperiod-dependent plants, there are also day-neutral plants, often referred to as “autoflower” hemp. These genetics do not rely on the change in light duration to trigger flowering.

• Hemp is dioecious, meaning plants can be male or female. Differences between male and female plants in growth rate and development are large (Van der Werf and Van den Berg, 1995). Male plants tend to flower and senesce (die) earlier. To minimize the impact of this on production, many cultivars are bred to be monoecious, resulting in plants that are mostly females with male flowers (a small percentage of males plants are included for pollination), to harvest more seed (since male plants do not set seed) and for greater fiber production (since male plants die after flowering). In a cannabinoid system, there is a selection for only females.

• Soil: One common myth is that hemp can be grown anywhere and have maximum performance. Hemp grows best on a loose, well-aerated loam soil with high fertility and abundant organic matter, with a pH of 6.0-7.5. Well-drained or tiled clay soils can be used, but poorly-drained clay or poorly structured soils often results in establishment failures, as seedlings and young plants are prone to damping-off. Sandy soils can grow good hemp with adequate irrigation and fertilization but these additional costs often make production more expensive.

• Fertility: Another myth regarding hemp production is that it doesn’t require additional nitrogen or potash inputs: Hemp production requires inputs of up to 100- 130 lb of nitrogen/ acre, 45-70 lb/acre phosphorus, and 35-80 lb/acre of potash, as well as 10-15 lb/acre of sulfur. Canadian researchers have found hemp can pull a lot of nutrients out of the soil, specifically, 178 lb/ac N, 42 lb/ac P, 188 lb/ac K, and 12 lb/ac S. Phosphorus levels should be medium to high (>40 ppm) and calcium not in excess (<6,000 ppm). In addition to well-aerated, loamy soils, hemp does best when organic matter is greater than 3.5%. To provide perspective–hemp requires about the same fertility inputs as a high-yielding crop of wheat. Avoid seed-placed salt-based fertilizer, it can damage the seeds and could delay or prevent emergence. Fertility programs are not well developed for hemp, but growers will still want to consider the 4Rs, right rate, right source, the right placement, and right timing. Some growers opt to get a soil test before and after they produce hemp to better understand how soil fertility changes.

Additional Fertility Resources​

• Wisconsin Fertility Guidelines
  • Planting Date: Although the seedlings will germinate and survive at temperatures just above freezing, soil temperatures of 46°–50°F at a minimum are preferable. Generally, hemp should be planted after danger of hard freezes, and slightly before the planting date of corn. With increasingly wet springs, timing is challenging. Good soil moisture is necessary for seed germination, and rainfall is needed for good growth, especially during the first six weeks, for establishment. Rainfall should be about 25-30 inches per year. This does not mean hemp seeds and seedlings can tolerate torrential downpours. This crop does not like wet feet. Excessive rainfall in the spring can mean a delay in emergence, higher seedling mortality, and a greater chance for weed competition.
  • Planting Depth: Seedbed preparation requires considerable effort. Fall plowing is recommended, followed by careful preparation of a seedbed in the spring. The seedbed should be fine, level, and firm. Seed is best planted at 0.50-1.00 in (although deeper plantings may be tolerated, they are more susceptible to damping-off). Some may opt to plant at a depth of 0.25 in. Planting depth should be based on soil type.
  • ________________________________________________

Fertility Guidelines for Hemp in Wisconsin​

May 2, 2018 |

No research has been conducted on the nutritional needs of hemp grown in Wisconsin in 75 years. In order to develop nutrient application guidelines for hemp, available peer reviewed literature as well as conference abstracts/proceedings/posters, research station reports, and extension bulletins from the United States, Canada, and Europe were reviewed and evaluated for their applicability to Wisconsin soils and climate.
Hemp can be grown on soils that are productive for corn. Poorly drained or poorly structured soils are not ideal because it may be difficult to establish a stand. Sandy soils may require irrigation to maximize yield (Purdue Univ.).
None of the research reviewed evaluated the effect of soil pH on yield. Because hemp is a non-leguminous oilseed, assume that the minimum soil pH for good growth is 6.0, similar to flax.
Phosphorus and K fertilizer application should be based on soil test results. Application rates are provided in Table 1. Research in Manitoba demonstrates that relatively small quantities of K are removed in the seed or with field retted fiber, but more than 185 lb K2O/a is taken up by the crop (Heard et al., 2007).
HempPKrec.jpg

In past North American research, hemp N need has varied from 0 to 175 lb N/a (Aubin et al., 2015; Purdue Univ., 2018; Vera et al., 2010). Various research reports have noted that too much N may delay seed maturation or negatively affect fiber quality. With this in mind, growers should consider using 100 to 140 lb N/a on soils with less than 10% organic matter (OM); 75 lb N/a on soils with 10 to 20% OM; and no N is needed on soils with more than 20% OM.
Hemp is sensitive to fertilizer placed with the seed. If starter fertilizer is used, be sure to place fertilizer at least 2 inches to the side and 2 inches below the seed. Nitrogen fertilizer timing and placement studies have not been conducted. Research in Manitoba demonstrates that N uptake is relatively low until late June then increases substantially through the end of July (Heard et al., 2007).
In Saskatchewan, Vera et al. (2010) did not find any biomass or seed yield response to S applications on fields where canola had been deficient in S in previous years. The authors suggest that hemp may have either a low S need or is efficient at taking up S from the soil. Sulfur applications to hemp grown in Wisconsin may not be profitable. Only consider applying S if growing hemp on a field with a past history of S deficiency. Fields with a recent history of manure application are less likely to be deficient in S. If needed, 10 to 15 lb S/a should be adequate.
Growers should reduce fertilizer application rates to adequately account for manure applications or a previous forage legume crop. At this time, it is unknown if there is a N credit rotation benefit to growing hemp following soybean versus corn.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heat is coming back and it may start getting dry, which is what I had a feeling was going to happen. Get them planted as soon as possible to give the roots time to establish before summer heat arrives.

Forecast is drying out in the midwest. Would be good to put down mulch or compost, but I wait until late july or later when I get the males out to make it easier. Don't want to injure any young plants.

Thanks for the info NOAA Climate Predicton Center!

:smoke:

1684012127117.png

1684012107593.png

1684012144274.png

1684012174274.png

1684012464914.png

Last edited:

OntologicalTurn

Heat is coming back and it may start getting dry, which is what I had a feeling was going to happen. Get them planted as soon as possible to give the roots time to establish before summer heat arrives.

Forecast is drying out in the midwest. Would be good to put down mulch or compost, but I wait until late july or later when I get the males out to make it easier. Don't want to injure any young plants.

Thanks for the info NOAA Climate Predicton Center!

:smoke:

View attachment 18841835

View attachment 18841834

View attachment 18841836

View attachment 18841838

View attachment 18841839
This year is a El Niño year, prolonged drought followed by extremely violent heavy rains, makes it difficult to know when to put the girls outside

Here in the subtropics