What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Old Uncle Ben

Actually now that I think about it a lot of the cheapest fertilizers I've bought have been bottled.

From the supermarket... :D

Easy to find good ones for veg. Not always so for flowering.
Again, you're falling for the racket. It's not the foods that produce the bud, it's leaves which produce ALL tissue. Support a healthy foliar and root mass and the bud will come on its own. That's just what pot does. Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor has a nice balanced NPK. Pretty damn close to a typical 1-1-1.

Again, no matter what you're growing, get off the high P foods.

UB

Last edited:

goingrey

Again, you're falling for the racket. It's not the foods that produce the bud, it's leaves which produce ALL tissue. Support a healthy foliar and root mass and the bud will come on its own. That's just what pot does. Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor has a nice balanced NPK. Pretty damn close to a typical 10-10-10.

UB
How about high K, saw some 1-2-18 o_O

Old Uncle Ben

How about high K, saw some 1-2-18 o_O

Keep it balanced. High K foods will lock out, "antagonize", N and some micros.

1690634013936.png

I'm curious, who's selling such a weird NPK food and what's their marketing hype on it? Link please.

I can only guess -> "Acme Bloom Serum produces bigger, harder buds."

Uncle Ben

sublingual

Again, you're falling for the racket. It's not the foods that produce the bud, it's leaves which produce ALL tissue. Support a healthy foliar and root mass and the bud will come on its own. That's just what pot does. Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor has a nice balanced NPK. Pretty damn close to a typical 10-10-10.

UB
Sound advice-about the root zone and foliage, that is, if the plant has everything during those crucial periods of building its structure, then obtimal photosynthesis can occur along with the roots providing their part. I would say the stem of the plant also provides immune support for the whole-sorry I don't have attribution for the last contention, still studying it.
Like you say, the buds come from that foundation built in veg.
I've never used osmocote and wouldn't consider it in my situation, but, I'm sure it works fine.

Old Uncle Ben

I've never used osmocote and wouldn't consider it in my situation, but, I'm sure it works fine.

That's cool.

Os is just ONE tool I have in my gardener's tool chess. I'm also into organics and do the best of both worlds - organics plus synthetics. They both have their place, cults, bro science and feelings aside. I'm not a purist and do what best serves my interests. I must have 5 brands of foods around here.

Speaking of organics - for 3 years I planted legumes (Hairy vetch and Madrid yellow sweet clover) plus Elbon rye to improve my (over worked) newly bought farm land. Who in the hell do you know that goes to that expense?

Rye.jpg

If a Chinese manufacturer makes the best heater, then that's what I'll buy for example. In fact, just replaced my old, 2004 John Deere tractor with a Kubota that has an A/C cab, loader, 4 WHD, etc. JD can't compete when it comes to the design, fit and finish of a Japanese Kubota. Same with beer! Just because I don't care for the politics of Budweiser doesn't mean I've stopped drinking Bud. Speaking of which....

Time to smoke a Bud,
Uncle Ben :)

Bio boy

I mix slow release prills only in the last inch of the backfill by plopping them on the top and scratching it in with my fingers.. Nothing wrong with mixing it up in a large batch, I just figure the salts flow downward which will catch all the roots, so why not just treat the last of the backfill.

Same with outdoors.

UB
Thanks ub, but my miss interpretation in my questions , I was refering to the guy said he uses a slow release os but needs a fast acting fertiliser 2times a week on top too apparently he states this is where we all go wrong and need to use osmo as a vitamin and not a full meal ? His words ofc not mine lol

do you do organica in pots canna or just field ? I mainly do organic but I am testing these lines as I want to see what salts do compared to organic I have run for 3years now I used to be a salty feeder , just wanna see if yield and quality comparison is major or not lol and test different recipes being that salt are fast acting and all organic need microbe actions to release them I am curious

so I want to test a maximum and osmo seems top dog in a lot of peeps gardens so I’m adopting that and the dyna foilar to maximize crop was checking if I needed a food for my watering like the dude said ,

this will hopefully set me my max yield under my homemade lights as salt yield higher apparently , one of my best yield was organic But I never tested strain in the same situation so nows the time

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Thanks ub, but my miss interpretation in my questions , I was refering to the guy said he uses a slow release os but needs a fast acting fertiliser 2times a week on top too apparently he states this is where we all go wrong and need to use osmo as a vitamin and not a full meal ? His words ofc not mine lol

do you do organica in pots canna or just field ? I mainly do organic but I am testing these lines as I want to see what salts do compared to organic I have run for 3years now I used to be a salty feeder , just wanna see if yield and quality comparison is major or not lol and test different recipes being that salt are fast acting and all organic need microbe actions to release them I am curious

so I want to test a maximum and osmo seems top dog in a lot of peeps gardens so I’m adopting that and the dyna foilar to maximize crop was checking if I needed a food for my watering like the dude said ,

this will hopefully set me my max yield under my homemade lights as salt yield higher apparently , one of my best yield was organic But I never tested strain in the same situation so nows the time
My custom made soil is about 50/50 organics, the organics being pine bark, peat, compost, meals, alfalfa nuggets....or whatever I have stockpiled. I'm not anal about what goes in it.

Osmocote Indoor-Outdoor, 15-9-12 or Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro will feed cannabis from start to finish. Os is no maintenance, just water. Set it and forget it.

Dyna-Gro can be used at a rate of 1/2 tsp./gal. for light feeding to 1 tsp./gal. when the tissue production is really ramping up, like during the stretch.

No need to over think this but I understand the apprehension with some, especially those coming from all the cannabis specific foods and forum hype.

"Familiarity breeds comfort".

All I can tell you is the pure indicas that I recently did are just as potent as chit and even though the trichomes are very small, hard to see with these old eyes, the bud is very gooey.. Buds smell very fruity and the smoke is pretty smooth. Of course if I/we take too big of a hit off my bong, you're going to cough. It's creeper weed too.

Uncle Ben

Harvest March 9#2.jpg

Last edited:

sublingual

That's cool.

Os is just ONE tool I have in my gardener's tool chess. I'm also into organics and do the best of both worlds - organics plus synthetics. They both have their place, cults, bro science and feelings aside. I'm not a purist and do what best serves my interests. I must have 5 brands of foods around here.

Speaking of organics - for 3 years I planted legumes (Hairy vetch and Madrid yellow sweet clover) plus Elbon rye to improve my (over worked) newly bought farm land. Who in the hell do you know that goes to that expense?

View attachment 18871234

If a Chinese manufacturer makes the best heater, then that's what I'll buy for example. In fact, just replaced my old, 2004 John Deere tractor with a Kubota that has an A/C cab, loader, 4 WHD, etc. JD can't compete when it comes to the design, fit and finish of a Japanese Kubota. Same with beer! Just because I don't care for the politics of Budweiser doesn't mean I've stopped drinking Bud. Speaking of which....

Time to smoke a Bud,
Uncle Ben :)
dude, you drink that? You just said how you buy the best tractors. I'm messing with ya.
Synthetics and organics, at different times and places; I'll agree with you. A little trickier together, if you can do it well, I'd like to see it.

sublingual

Impressive. Some extra work to paint the copper but it seems worth it for plastic pots. Fabric does the same too.
Copper seems sound for plants unlike other metals.
For a farmer like you, do you see the added cost of using a substrate like coco, as an unrecoverable cost? For a farmer with fields maybe a substrate makes no sense? The beauty for me, in hydroponics, is a small root zone and minimal cost, a bag of coco goes a long way and I just toss it in the end. The adoption of coco, a natural product, over rockwool, I see as a sea change for hobby growers. Now they have small pots with big plants.
The cost makes little difference overall with the ease and time savings. Time savings is life you could be spending doing other things.

Old Uncle Ben

Impressive. Some extra work to paint the copper but it seems worth it for plastic pots. Fabric does the same too.
Copper seems sound for plants unlike other metals.
For a farmer like you, do you see the added cost of using a substrate like coco, as an unrecoverable cost? For a farmer with fields maybe a substrate makes no sense? The beauty for me, in hydroponics, is a small root zone and minimal cost, a bag of coco goes a long way and I just toss it in the end. The adoption of coco, a natural product, over rockwool, I see as a sea change for hobby growers. Now they have small pots with big plants.
The cost makes little difference overall with the ease and time savings. Time savings is life you could be spending doing other things.

I use bottomless RootBuilder pots in the greenhouse. It's very productive, talking harvesting 235 Meyer lemons over about 5 months off one tree this year. Avocado and citrus trees 16' tall, etc. Have fabric pots but they require a lot of watering.

The copper ions do not relocate into the plant if they did the plant/tree wouldn't have a root system. I used MicroKote recently. It did a pretty good job creating a profuse root system and eliminating root spin out in most plants. Think topping or tipping but underground. Roots were extreme, lots of mass and when it comes to gardening, anything, it's all about the roots. Once you master that you'll have the foundation to produce good bud.

I don't do coco. Used it for orchids but never pot. I mix large batches of soil with whatever I have on hand.

MicroKote Pots.jpg MicroKote Roots Jan 19#4.jpg Soil Dec 25.jpg

HerbChambers

Has anyone tried the Florikan slow release fertilizer also available on the AM Leonard website? Looks like they have similar formulations.

AM Leonard has a code for free shipping on orders over $150 on the deals page. I’m going to pull the trigger on some slow release fertilizer for the veg and mom plants.

1692797701155.jpeg
1692797701155.jpeg

Old Uncle Ben

Why not have the convo in the thread so we can all learn? It is a message board after all.

Thanks Uncle Ben for starting this thread.

Anyone checked the price on Beanstalk CRF? They want $900 for 50 lbs.

Wow 😮
Well it isn't specifically about osmocote so I thought this isn't the place to put it. I've been growing peppers and tomatoes trying to practice root development as Uncle mentioned here. I'm using 1gal fabric pots atm and can't seem to nail the watering down. I've been doing the finger in the soil up to the second knuckle technique but my pepper seem to be slowing down in growth but they are older than my tomatoes. Tomatoes are doing well so I couldn't figure out why because my technique with watering the two are just the same. Will post pics tomorrow morning as it's already night time here in the tropics.

Latest posts

Latest posts