What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Bio boy

Yeah she dispels a lot of religiously held beliefs with hard science and people get upset. When it has been scientifically proven that compost tea is a total waste and it does nothing. Using compost teas is like one of the holy commandments for many marijuana growers and she said that you can prove it to people that it doesn’t work with peer reviewed scientific data and it doesn’t matter to believers, they will do it anyway.
I would believe anything she would say because she uses peer reviewed scientific data, over anybody on this or any other marijuana site. Her credentials, her body of work and her experience in the field make her an authority who should be trusted. She doesn’t have beliefs, she has proven facts.
Sad that you won’t listen her because now I would never listen to you.
How doesn’t a compost tea work ? Confused at that I feed my plants microbe teas and compost and alfalfa tea I’ve done side by side and the growth is dramatic I fix deficiency’s with my teas too ?

BuckeyeGreen

Double blind testing went through every scenario of using teas and testing the teas scientifically. All of the test results were peer reviewed and found to be factual and truthful. They found no repeatable results and no effect. In the video she mentions the name of the man who testing was peer reviewed. Perhaps you can look him up and find his test results in detail.
Her recommendation was to use an inch or two of compost on top of your media of choice and use wood chips on top of the compost. She loves compost and highly recommends it. She sees no reason to drastically reduce the overall effectiveness of compost by taking a small amount of compost, heavily dilute it with water and apply it that way. Simply use the compost in it’s concentrated form.

Bio boy

Double blind testing went through every scenario of using teas and testing the teas scientifically. All of the test results were peer reviewed and found to be factual and truthful. They found no repeatable results and no effect. In the video she mentions the name of the man who testing was peer reviewed. Perhaps you can look him up and find his test results in detail.
Her recommendation was to use an inch or two of compost on top of your media of choice and use wood chips on top of the compost. She loves compost and highly recommends it. She sees no reason to drastically reduce the overall effectiveness of compost by taking a small amount of compost, heavily dilute it with water and apply it that way. Simply use the compost in it’s concentrated form.
I do it as a way to remineralise my ro water with some elements and basics and to basicly feed the micros , replace some of what depleted like certain minerals will get used up faster and not be Abundant At the time, but mainly to keep fungi and bacteria topped up and fed @Microbeman tim Wilson did a lot of research into teas posting videos too on results and found out kelp handfuls killed the fungi down where as adding only 0.63% kelp like a pinch stimulated them , he has a massive study on teas and compost too microbeorganics.com and microscope to confirm this finding,

I’ll have a read of your above mentioned person as I’d be a bit of a non scientific dick if I didn’t accept everything and take into account all angles , I find it interesting what you’ve said and without reading to be up to page I don’t think it’s fair for me to say this works that doesn’t , science comes in many angles and isn’t always able to be explained , what science is as you said somthing that can be repeated over and over and get the same results,

so if you have the time I’d apprecieate your views on tim Wilson’s page www.microbeorganics.com as this is kinda his soil thesis and Interpratation of it all I’ve kinda used as gods page lol

Last edited:

BuckeyeGreen

” science comes in many angles and isn’t always able to be explained”
Science is thorough testing in order to try to explain the unexplained. The testing of compost teas was focused on that subject only and the conclusion was clear. They don’t work. No further explanation needed.
Her whole point was that compost is great and there is no need to dilute all of the beneficial microbes etc. with water when the final product is 99% water. Simply use the compost and all of benefits of it being in contact with the media in its undiluted form will be much greater. When you water the leachate will go into the media increasing the benefits. I’ll read Tim’s page and get back to you.
Again she is not saying microbes aren’t important and aren’t very beneficial. Far from it. She’s saying you get much more of the beneficial microbial activity if you don’t dilute it. If you watch the first 35 to 40 minutes of the video she talks about the compost teas in that section and you don’t need to watch the whole four hours. Although if you watch the whole four hours she addresses many subjects.

BuckeyeGreen

This link will take you her page at Washington State University. She breaks down many garden myths one by one and you can pick and choose the link to each topic as you wish. Great and helpful information.

BuckeyeGreen

This is Linda’s educational background:
  • Ph.D., Horticulture (minors in Biochemistry & Botany), Oregon State University (OSU)
  • M.S., Marine Biology, OSU
  • B.S., General Biology, OSU
This is one of the first things Tim stated in the paper you recommended:
I am not an expert in this field of biology, in fact I am a lifelong student and will defer to the far superior overall knowledge of experts. Very humble of him but comparing the two, she is the type of person he is referring to with far superior overall knowledge.
I’ll read the rest of Tim’s work but that initial comment he made stood out.

Ca++

Her whole point was that compost is great and there is no need to dilute all of the beneficial microbes etc. with water when the final product is 99% water. Simply use the compost and all of benefits of it being in contact with the media in its undiluted form will be much greater.
This is another example of her being irrelevant.

She takes perfectly good compost, and says adding more of the same isn't of use. However, who does that? A tea is to replenish or more often to re-balance the compost. People are not doing what she says doesn't work, as a blanket statement. Then she closes saying what? lol That adding more compost is a good idea. Then better still, says wood chipping? That only ever comes up in problem posts.

I don't want you to listen to me. I think blind faith can be very harmful. This one doesn't even need to speak before I know it's coming though. I couldn't drink with her.

dramamine

A good compost tea multiplies the desired microbes. I'm not understanding why she sees it as a dilution of microbes. Also, she seems to say compost tea is useless, but also that it's merely inferior as a tea. There are different methods and minutia to making a compost tea. It seems like it would have to be a long journey before you could say they are straight up useless, across the board.

BuckeyeGreen

She takes perfectly good compost, and says adding more of the same isn't of use. However, who does that? A tea is to replenish or more often to re-balance the compost. People are not doing what she says doesn't work, as a blanket statement. Then she closes saying what? lol That adding more compost is a good idea. Then better still, says wood chipping? That only ever comes up in problem posts.

I don't want you to listen to me. I think blind faith can be very harmful. This one doesn't even need to speak before I know it's coming though. I couldn't drink with her.
Sadly your reading comprehension is very poor, not surprisingly. She didn’t say take perfectly good compost and adding more of the same isn’t of use. She said simply to use compost and there is no need to dilute it and then pour that on the soil. Again but this time read slowly- Add an inch or two of compost on top of your soil and then add the arborist wood chips on top of that.

Oh and compost tea and compost are not the same. One is highly concentrated and the other is very dilute. You are saying a shot of whiskey is the same as that same shot of whiskey poured into a 20 gallon container of water. What Linda is saying is if you want whiskey, drink the shot. Don’t waste your time making a super dilute whiskey and take 5 days to drink it.

Rebalancing compost? More made up nonsense. Good lord.
“ People are not doing what she says doesn’t work?” Double negative nonsense. If they are using compost teas on their soil or in the container they are doing what she says doesn’t work. Let me make this real simple for you. Compost teas don’t work regardless of how they are used. They are a waste of time and money.

You believe science exists right? A man does a long study of compost teas with double blind testing, gets his results then submits them for peer review. His work is approved and he publishes his work. Yes I have faith when PhD’s in a particular subject do a rigorous review of another scientist work and approves it.

I happen to believe people who have spent years studying a particular subject, have numerous degrees in that subject and have done rigorous scientific tests on those subjects. I’m pretty sure they have far more knowledge than I do, so yes when they test their theories and agree on the conclusion, I tend to agree with them. Nothing blind about peer reviewed scientific tests.

Wood chip mulch breaks down and has great benefits for the soil. Arborist wood chip mulch is fantastic. You really are ignorant of proven and tested gardening practices. Read a little bit before you write.

Blind faith is your territory. I actually read and listen to see if it makes sense and if it does, I follow it. You however use a loopy witches brew of a little bit of this, a little bit of that, with some wives tales thrown in type gardening. I’ve been seeing your type of nonsense for years. Your posts are “ the problem “ posts for which you were referring.

I think she’s love to drink with you. She’d laugh her ass off at all your nonsense. She must have really chopped the head off of your sacred cow magic gypsum. Yeah she takes down loopy zealots like you with all of your gardening nonsense everyday.

Go to your local cult meeting and put your unique talents to use.

Here is how she takes down the gypsum myth:

Last edited:
Sadly your reading comprehension is very poor, not surprisingly. She didn’t say take perfectly good compost and adding more of the same isn’t of use. She said simply to use compost and there is no need to dilute it and then pour that on the soil. Again but this time read slowly- Add an inch or two of compost on top of your soil and then add the arborist wood chips on top of that.

Oh and compost tea and compost are not the same. One is highly concentrated and the other is very dilute. You are saying a shot of whiskey is the same as that same shot of whiskey poured into a 20 gallon container of water. What Linda is saying is if you want whiskey, drink the shot. Don’t waste your time making a super dilute whiskey and take 5 days to drink it.

Rebalancing compost? More made up nonsense. Good lord.
“ People are not doing what she says doesn’t work?” Double negative nonsense. If they are using compost teas on their soil or in the container they are doing what she says doesn’t work. Let me make this real simple for you. Compost teas don’t work regardless of how they are used. They are a waste of time and money.

You believe science exists right? A man does a long study of compost teas with double blind testing, gets his results then submits them for peer review. His work is approved and he publishes his work. Yes I have faith when PhD’s in a particular subject do a rigorous review of another scientist work and approves it.

I happen to believe people who have spent years studying a particular subject, have numerous degrees in that subject and have done rigorous scientific tests on those subjects. I’m pretty sure they have far more knowledge than I do, so yes when they test their theories and agree on the conclusion, I tend to agree with them. Nothing blind about peer reviewed scientific tests.

Wood chip mulch breaks down and has great benefits for the soil. Arborist wood chip mulch is fantastic. You really are ignorant of proven and tested gardening practices. Read a little bit before you write.

Blind faith is your territory. I actually read and listen to see if it makes sense and if it does, I follow it. You however use a loopy witches brew of a little bit of this, a little bit of that, with some wives tales thrown in type gardening. I’ve been seeing your type of nonsense for years. Your posts are “ the problem “ posts for which you were referring.

I think she’s love to drink with you. She’d laugh her ass off at all your nonsense. She must have really chopped the head off of your sacred cow magic gypsum. Yeah she takes down loopy zealots like you with all of your gardening nonsense everyday.

Go to your local cult meeting and put your unique talents to use.

Here is how she takes down the gypsum myth:
You got me sold on using compost only instead of teas. My question is:
What would be your go to method for composting? The most efficient way as I am a bit lazy

Bio boy

I’m watching this video but to the end as I do , your putting time into Tim so ,
tim yeas a student And learner as I said it’s his soil thesis kinda , but he has a big ass scope that doesn’t lie too, he doesn’t have a phd maybe but elain Ingram does ? Massively recognised too and she does teas and scoping work for karma owners n farmers , some of her recent shot I seem to think she sold out a lil but they all end up doing that I guess gwt famous and offers come it’s hard to say no to big numbers in your field eh

but her and many other recognised people use teas for the microbes and replenishing , as we brew the tea , I guess that shot of whiskey diluted to be fair would also need a ferment as we don’t use compost alone it’s would be compost fish hydroly kelp molasses and ‘em 1 bubble ferment 48 hrs peak time for microbes to brew to level then add fungi at end , so the whiskey if we do the same malting mashing sugar fermenting for the time it takes but adding whiskey makes blends and I like single malts lol my preference though they add other whiskeys to add flavors etc there base needed fermenting

(I don’t want to be taken the wrong way I am not being offensive ,interested in learning ,and I orders osmo too so lol )

Old Uncle Ben

The most important subforum around these parts would be a myth busting forum.

As I finish up my upcanning, which means adding Osmocote to the last of the backfill, I add a layer of pine bark fines as a topper. If you're growing outdoors you can't beat pine needles as a deep layer mulch.

UB

Ca++

Her whole point was that compost is great and there is no need to dilute all of the beneficial microbes etc. with water when the final product is 99% water. Simply use the compost and all of benefits of it being in contact with the media in its undiluted form will be much greater.
Sadly your reading comprehension is very poor, not surprisingly. She didn’t say

Your no more worth my effort than she is. I'm stopping at that.

BuckeyeGreen

Man I have been so busy rebalancing my compost that I haven’t had time to do anything other than that. Whew man is that hard work.😂
I’ve read a lot of silly nonsense over the years on marijuana sites but that one on rebalancing compost takes the cake. You are at the top of a very, very long list.
Growing good marijuana is very easy and it’s fun. All of these grow gurus take themselves very seriously, seem to be joyless and they make growing seem to be complicated and that it takes special knowledge. I saw a guy go out into his yard, dig a hole, put the yard soil in a pot in order to show people how easy it was. In the end he had a six foot tall, beautiful plant.
Grow, have fun and most importantly REBALANCE THAT COMPOST!🤪

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Man I have been so busy rebalancing my compost that I haven’t had time to do anything other than that. Whew man is that hard work.😂
I’ve read a lot of silly nonsense over the years on marijuana sites but that one on rebalancing compost takes the cake. You are at the top of a very, very long list.
Growing good marijuana is very easy and it’s fun. All of these grow gurus take themselves very seriously, seem to be joyless and they make growing seem to be complicated and that it takes special knowledge. I saw a guy go out into his yard, dig a hole, put the yard soil in a pot in order to show people how easy it was. In the end he had a six foot tall, beautiful plant.
Grow, have fun and most importantly REBALANCE THAT COMPOST!🤪

Crazy isn't. BTW, I've been referring to and quoting Dr. Linda Chalker for many many years in both cannabis forums and other gardening forums - turf, trees, veggies, fruit, etc.

She is a pro's pro, a scientist. Good on ya for using her as a referral to help offset the nonsense, the delusions, so prevalent in cannabis forums.

Here's another good site - https://www.gardenmyths.com/what-is-organic-fertilizer/

Uncle Ben

Old Uncle Ben

One of the easiest ways to grow pot is to drop a 3 gallon pot in a 3" deep hole. The roots will find the drain holes and grow into native soil. The plant gains by growing in high quality potting soil where food and water can be directly applied which ends up in the ground in close proximity to the pot/container.

UB

Rgd

Veteran
One of the easiest ways to grow pot is to drop a 3 gallon pot in a 3" deep hole. The roots will find the drain holes and grow into native soil. The plant gains by growing in high quality potting soil where food and water can be directly applied which ends up in the ground

in close proximity to the pot/container.<-----yes

UB
yes

18” hole with dry ferts mixed with dirt underneath then rootball so they can “find” it..
71182710127__F0E505A2-E4BE-4BE8-849F-481CFEF2ECFE.JPG

Astro1

It's good to see folks like Old Ben come on the forums with genuine real advice. Too often I see people on forums spout complete nonsense when it comes to growing anything. I genuinely cringe every time I see people touting cannabis specific nutrients with pretty labels and unicorn farts. As if these plants are some uber special creation needing something no other plant on earth does. I actually got banned from Rollitup for mentioning that with liquid nutrients they're mostly paying for water. (Yeah seriously..had my posts deleted and then banned). Don't get me started on Advanced Nutrients:ROFLMAO: Have been growing for 20 years. Been using osmocote in all my soil mixes. I've even used it in my indoor coco grows. Its insane how much stoner grower mantra there is out there based on complete verbal regurgitation of previously stated myths. My biggest pet peeve is seeing the "infirmary" posts where people tell you what's wrong with your plant based on the leaf output when more often than not its pure plant torture by the grower playing with 12 bottles of liquid ferts and creating a toxic root zone pretending to be chemists and microbiologists.

Grow on and big my man!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts