What's new
  • As of today ICMag has his own Discord server. In this Discord server you can chat, talk with eachother, listen to music, share stories and pictures...and much more. Join now and let's grow together! Join ICMag Discord here! More details in this thread here: here.
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Osmocote, my favorite plant food - easy peasy, complete

Brother Nature

Experimentation is great. You can see I like watching peoples experiments.
Is it for edibles though? My concern the the npk of a general garden feed, and the use of urea, which further guides my concerns. Here, a lot of urea comes from slaughter house byproducts, and can't be used for edibles. Them tanks under the floor are a breeding ground. Getting very ill is quite possible, from urea containing products, that are not listed for food.
Nah it won’t be, I’m not a big fan of edibles to be honest. Here in nz all our urea products are derived from natural gasses. All urea produced here is used here or shipped over to Australia. We have pretty strict agricultural regulations and for the most part our ag industry here is pretty sustainable. Our government tends to legislate towards the safety of the consumer over the profits of businesses.

There are other osmocote products that don’t contain urea, but as this was just a trial I wasn’t as concerned with its addition, plus didn’t want to buy a large bag if I didn’t find it useful for what I wanted.

Old Uncle Ben

I'm a Registered Respiratory Therapist and ordinarily, I'm all over frontiersin.org articles and right now, I don't have time to plow through all of that massive info, but luckily, I'm a speed reader and a great scanner of scientific articles. All I had to see was this picture:

View attachment 18910362

With this caption:

Early symptoms of NH4 toxicity in medical cannabis...

To know this article wasn't worth wasting a _nanosecond_ of my time. Just because you quote a highly technical and scientific paper doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. Those of us who actually do know what they're talking about, and have the education and experienced it back it up, get angered when people like you quote scientific papers to try to prove an invalid point.

Let me guess, you're a big organic supporter who believes in flushing the fuck out of cannabis plants plants before harvest, so the buds will _taste_ better, amirite?

I hate to demonstrate my ancient age, but let me quote from an old movie, that's not black and white... Beverly Hills Cop. Victor Maitland says to Axel Foley, " ... you have no earthly idea who you're fucking with" .

Like me, Uncle Ben has been around for a while, I knew him when he was _young_ Uncle Ben.

Speaking of that UB, since this is your thread, weren't you also known as Uncle Ben Dover at one time? <vbseg>

Guess I should switch to all organic and chase after whatever Blueberry Bloom Buster Bullshit that is marketed these days... but come to think of it, nah... I'm happy with this:
View attachment 18910371

UB, I know you believe in showing pictures or it didn't happen but please tell me you have shit canned the GPS data of the pics you are posting.

Funny post, with lots of rational thought. You are the man!

Was told by Uncle Ben Dover that my way (which is normal to anyone of merit in the commercial field) is not correct. That's how fucked up some of this stuff is. The more out of the norm it is and, the higher the stupidity level the higher the High Fives, as reflected by your attached photo of the burned up cola that got god smacked by a dozen cannabis specifics crap. Priceless!

No I haven't shit canned the GPS. For starts the server I use is miles from my actual home. Thanks for the heads up.

UB

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Glad I happened onto this thread, I tried a product by fox farm, that I believe is similar and I had the greenest plants I've ever grown. It's a dry nutrient and very cheap, slow release if I understand it correctly. I've moved to liquid nutrients, mainly to follow a feed chart, but I sometimes wonder if I could go back to dry nutrients, they seem to work very well.

Is this similar to osmocote? 15 bucks and I have enough to last me a lifetime. (no joke)..

24-14-11

https://foxfarm.com/product/cultivation-nation-veggie

Not the same. That's a 2 part, not a long lasting prill like Osmocote.

UB

Old Uncle Ben

Objective criticism is a conversation, but just making stuff up about someone is some psycho drama protection method, that logic is wasted upon.

Right, like one of your childish personal attacks directed at me.

I have a friend who's the same. He knows everything that happened up to about 10 years ago, but can't take in anything new. It's there for a moment, then gone. It's a form of epilepsy that treatment is helping with, but not as much as we would like.

Can you remember what you ate yesterday? I'm seeing genuine signs that you can't remember what's going on.

If a mod could remove all this, I would be grateful. My whole purpose here was to stop derailment, but it's just caused more. UB really won't remember anyway.

Just a thought, you need to stick to what you know which based on your abstract and aberrant posts may not be much more than what you ate for breakfast.

You say urea comes from slaughter houses? Again, got backup on that one too? Correction - Urea is a manufactured product as CharlesU Farley explained. Blood meal is the dried blood from slaughter houses. In the old days it was my only source for N and what I used in my avatar Positronics Jack Herer plant. https://kellogggarden.com/blog/gardening/blood-meal-vs-bone-meal/

Urea is prepared commercially in vast amounts from liquid ammonia and liquid carbon dioxide. These two materials are combined under high pressures and elevated temperatures to form ammonium carbamate, which then decomposes at much lower pressures to yield urea and water.

UB

Old Uncle Ben

ICL is a great source in the states. Check out the analysis. https://icl-growingsolutions.com/en-us/ornamental-horticulture/products/60796-15-9-12-8-9-m/

Osmocote.jpg

Uncle Ben

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

Nah it won’t be, I’m not a big fan of edibles to be honest. Here in nz all our urea products are derived from natural gasses. All urea produced here is used here or shipped over to Australia. We have pretty strict agricultural regulations and for the most part our ag industry here is pretty sustainable. Our government tends to legislate towards the safety of the consumer over the profits of businesses.

There are other osmocote products that don’t contain urea, but as this was just a trial I wasn’t as concerned with its addition, plus didn’t want to buy a large bag if I didn’t find it useful for what I wanted.

Someone want to tell me what's wrong with using urea? Or is this just another stupid rumor drill manufactured by the cannabis mill or misgiven "elitist"? Not that I care but the formulas I use don't contain urea.

The foods contain a good ratio of ammonical N to nitrate N. So does Peters and a few others like Dyna-Gro.

singlecoiled

You're over thinking this.

Cannabis specific foods are a scam, Jack's is not.

If you're into liquids and can get it, Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro is a great value and packs 16 elements. Used it for decades on everything including orchids and as a foliar spray on my vineyard. The 9-3-6 is all you need for cannabis from start to finish. You DON'T need bloom foods, don't fall fall for the hoax. All vendors will sell you anything they think you're willing to buy. Capitalism is about making money. FWIW, Dyna Gro didn't do the "cannabis" label thing until a few years ago.

UB

One of the reasons I'm a big fan of Uncle Ben's advice is that he made me question the community's useage of Bloom Nutrients. As a new grower, I was listening to everyone and dumping bloom nutrients as well as bloom boosters into my feed. (cha ching, Beastie Bloomz, and Open sesame on top of Bloom feed...). My plants did not do well in flower at all. Sadly, I was new and just following what others said would work...

So, after hearing what Uncle Ben had to say, I found articles from Dave Neal (Dynagrow) that stated that the only reason they make bloom nutrients is because customers think they need them. Its a business, your sell what you customer asks for (even if its wrong)

Link below to Dave Neal (Dynagrow)...Notice that he does not mention the need for bloom nutrients at all. He explains that Foliage Pro was designed specifically for cannabis and works well for the life of the plant. Anyway, watch my future grows using mainly Foliage Pro only to see how this works for us "mislead" newbies....

Sorry if Ive gotten off track a little bit, this thread is about Osmocote. I thought I'd toss this in from a newbies perspective. A lot of you guys are advanced growers, not me. Its not easy figuring out which way to go with all the contradicting advise !

Using bloom nutrients (per user advice, forums, and feed charts. Terrible ! (my first grow)

12_28.JPG

Last edited:

Old Uncle Ben

One of the reasons I'm a big fan of Uncle Ben's advice is that he made me question the community's useage of Bloom Nutrients. As a new grower, I was listening to everyone and dumping bloom nutrients as well as bloom boosters into my feed. (cha ching, Beastie Bloomz, and Open sesame on top of Bloom feed...). My plants did not do well in flower at all. Sadly, I was new and just following what others said would work...

So, after hearing what Uncle Ben had to say, I found articles from Dave Neal (Dynagrow) that stated that the only reason they make bloom nutrients is because customers think they need them. Its a business, you sell what you customer asks for (even if its wrong)

Link below to Dave Neal (Dynagrow)...Notice that he does not mention the need for bloom nutrients at all. He explains that Foliage Pro was designed specifically for cannabis and works well for the life of the plant. Anyway, watch my future grows using mainly Foliage Pro only to see how this works for us "mislead" newbies....

Sorry if Ive gotten off track a little bit, this thread is about Osmocote. I thought I'd toss this in from a newbies perspective. A lot of you guys are advanced growers, not me. Its not easy figuring out which way to go with all the contradicting advise !

Using bloom nutrients (per user advice, forums, and feed charts. Terrible ! (my first grow)

View attachment 18910919

Yep, glad you got It, good on ya. Those nasty looking plants are typical of forum advice practices. They take label hype as gospel. Those remaining stressed leaves are not capable of supporting optimum yields, what could have been. Plus, that kind of weed smokes harsh, which is probably where the myth of flushing came from. It's a vicious cycle, eh!

"I found articles from Dave Neal (Dynagrow) that stated that the only reason they make bloom nutrients is because customers think they need them. Its a business, you sell what your customer asks for (even if its wrong)"

Bingo! ^

Oldie but a goodie. https://www.rollitup.org/t/uncle-bens-gardening-tweeks-and-pointers.267989/page-12

Happy gardening,
Uncle Ben

Last edited:
ICL is a great source in the states. Check out the analysis. https://icl-growingsolutions.com/en-us/ornamental-horticulture/products/60796-15-9-12-8-9-m/

View attachment 18910712

Uncle Ben
I recently bought me 15-9-12 to try out but I think they sent a 14-14-14 instead. Will it still work?

goingrey

Someone want to tell me what's wrong with using urea? Or is this just another stupid rumor drill manufactured by the cannabis mill or misgiven "elitist"? Not that I care but the formulas I use don't contain urea.

The foods contain a good ratio of ammonical N to nitrate N. So does Peters and a few others like Dyna-Gro.
Don't think there is anything "wrong" with it but the move towards it has been motivated by governmental regulation of ammonium nitrate, not some advantage it has as a fertilizer.

Slaughterhouse sourced urea risks seem small if even real at all but I can see why vegans would not want to use it, for example.

I recently bought me 15-9-12 to try out but I think they sent a 14-14-14 instead. Will it still work?
That's getting close to bloom nute numbers. If Ben's genuinely about the contents not the label he will surely say that this is a scam product. :D

Last edited:
Don't think there is anything "wrong" with it but the move towards it has been motivated by governmental regulation of ammonium nitrate, not some advantage it has as a fertilizer.

Slaughterhouse sourced urea risks seem small if even real at all but I can see why vegans would not want to use it, for example.

That's getting close to bloom nute numbers. If Ben's genuinely about the contents of the label he will surely say that this is a scam product. :D
well if it's really slow release then I figured it won't make much of a difference?

Brother Nature

I’ve never actually heard that before either. The only argument I hear against it here is that farmers over apply it and it can wash out to the local waterways, which makes fishermen unhappy. Nearly every dairy, beef, and sheep farm here will use it to regrow their fields. We produce some of the most desirable lamb in the world so I can't imagine we're also poisoning people with it. All I know is my plants are looking and smelling a shitload better than the last few runs and the proof is in the pudding, or as Bill Cosby says, the pills are in the pudding.

Just trying to perk up this bitter thread with a silly joke. It's fine. If you end up with nasty looking and harsh burning plants, it is unlikely to have been caused by the relative increase in P and K.
I'm using backyard soil only atm and I find that they aggregate a lot. Should I add something else to make it more airy? I'm thinking of shredded coconut husks to keep things costs friendly. What do you think?

I’ve never actually heard that before either. The only argument I hear against it here is that farmers over apply it and it can wash out to the local waterways, which makes fishermen unhappy. Nearly every dairy, beef, and sheep farm here will use it to regrow their fields. We produce some of the most desirable lamb in the world so I can't imagine we're also poisoning people with it. All I know is my plants are looking and smelling a shitload better than the last few runs and the proof is in the pudding, or as Bill Cosby says, the pills are in the pudding.

Urea is not Omri. Most Cannabis nute trends come from unskilled business people trying to redefine shit to gain some pull, like the Clean Green guys.

Brother Nature

Few updates on my osmocote tests.

First plant had osmocote applied a couple weeks into flower as she was showing deficiencies...

Zkittles Week 4 - Osmocote top coat @ week 2 of flower
full

full

full

Same plant with the same soil mix, in the same tent, but no osmocote. She has also only been fed water since flower.

full

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts