What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Old School Arizona

Madjag

Veteran
picture.php

Madjag

Veteran
Don't forget us cat lovers my 14 yr old
Maine coone got munched in Payson.by cyotes in Feb
Still miss that 25 # cat something fierce

I feel for your loss too......I have had many cats over the years as well. The last one was "Asia", bob tail that could climb a 2 x 4 faster than you could see. Still, somehow the coyotes got her in our neighborhood. She made it 11 years and had a great life.

Madjag

Veteran
Time to head to one of my favorite places on earth - Sycamore Canyon near where it meets with the Verde River outside of Clarkdale.

When was the last time you jumped naked off a cliff into beautiful, cool water in a remote place that takes one hour of dirt road driving and 45 minutes of hiking to reach? Never you say? Unbelievable!

picture.php

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
I just got back from a san juan river trip. One raft and 5 duckys. It's not in az. But close, and it emptys into lake powell. Saw a nice 5 6 room ruin,bighorns,deer and a mountain lion cruised our camp before dawn. We didn'nt see him but his tracks were in camp.

Last edited:

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Great Post Mad, about the Sycamore Canyon.

I have always been a high diver, (pun intended). I learned to dive in Acapulco Mexico when I was about 13. We have family there.

Never done it naked tho. At 65 feet and jumping in I hope your legs are crossed.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
Nice pic of sycamore canyon. A friend and I were hiking along the creek back in the 70's. We had indulged in some pychadelics. We heard the rumblings of a rock slde and before we knew it a cascade of debris rained down on us. A boulder the size of a volkswagon bounced off the cliff wall and landed in the river. The funniest part was when my friend turned around to run, his eyes his eyes were as big as silver dollars. He ran right over me. Could have been a cartoon. We think a pot hunter was up there and set it loose. We could see him but he was not friendly.

Madjag

Veteran
Where were you exactly....as if you can remember? Anyway, were you past the swimming hole? were you up the canyon beyond the hole where it's narrow, the area just before it goes dry after the last spring?

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
Where were you exactly....as if you can remember? Anyway, were you past the swimming hole? were you up the canyon beyond the hole where it's narrow, the area just before it goes dry after the last spring?
Well.. it was sunny out...very bright as I remember....the water was making happy sounds...like a low hum of people murmering amongst themselves kind of humm...cicadas filled inthe rest of the din and a slight breeze blew the perspiration off us in astral wiffs of cotton candy. We could feel the temperature change as we filtered in and out of tight canyon walls or walked freely into an opening...the flowing water lulled us into a dope fiends ecstacy but the crack of rock hitting rock...seared a red line through our placid minds. We were above the swimming hole but I can't tell you where. LOL...I can feel a very fine thread connecting me to that memory, barely anchored to then and now. Peace out.

Last edited:

Apache Kush

Hey wasn't there a story in this thread about a shooting star, coming down at night, right in front of some people Then hitting the water in the creek or something like that??? crazy hah

PDX Dopesmoker

I thought I should add my testimony to this thread even though I live in Oregon now:
For most of the 1990s I was a UofA student, I arrived on campus from the southeast USA with an appetite for bud & no contacts, but that didn’t last long and eventually I knew a guy who knew a guy who delivered compressed bricks of seedy Mexican for $60/pound. Later one of my academic cohorts said he was interested in making brownies so I took advantage of the internet to find out how (thank you, Usenet). In the process I saw a recipe for something called green dragon which sounded pretty badass so we made some of that too. Soon we were chasing the dragon and decided that it would be easier to just evaporate the alcohol away beforehand & that is how we invented hash oil. Now we had something that was actually worth smoking and soon after we had a lot of new friends and even some money. We experimented with a lot of different solvents because Everclear was so expensive, but we always went back to our foodsafe friend because cheaper alternatives tasted funny & gave us the heebie jeebies. I had my one lab accident in Tucson making oil in a friends kitchen, one brief but beautiful fire than was quenched without incident, my lab partner never even found out. Tried some growing in locations stupidly close to town (not Sabino Canyon, but almost as bad) & I lost a grow which had me paranoid for weeks after & the stuff I did harvest in other spots wasn’t worth the effort over the imported stuff (I didn’t know about ordering decent seeds back them, I just used bagseed & didn’t even get rid of the male plants). If anyone here worked in the head shop on 6th ave then I probably met you.
Also did any of you ever have an encounter with Joseph Bonanao or his associates? He was supposedly retired & living in Tucson at the time.

Sforza

Veteran
Soon we were chasing the dragon and decided that it would be easier to just evaporate the alcohol away beforehand & that is how we invented hash oil.

I think you reinvented hash oil, since I was smoking some excellent hash oil made from hash called honey oil, back in 1974.

And we were bringing spearguns full of ganja oil from Jamaica in 1975.

PDX Dopesmoker

I think you reinvented hash oil, since I was smoking some excellent hash oil made from hash called honey oil, back in 1974.

And we were bringing spearguns full of ganja oil from Jamaica in 1975.

Yeah sorry about that. My autobiography was kind of boring so I guess I felt I had to add some impressive elements. How were people making honey oil in the 70s? Most of the stuff we made in Tucson was black oil more like RSO than anything good. Still was 10x more potent than anything anyone else was selling, but I didn't learn any better techniques until right before I moved from Tucson.

Madjag

Veteran
My first honey oil experience was in 1969. I hitchhiked from Denver to Chicago and in the middle of a snow storm in Iowa some cool hippies picked me up and gave me their living room floor for the night. Damn...they put a few drops on a Blanco Negro paper, added some crushed up mint, and two tokes and I was hallucinating aurally from their crazy parrot in the kitchen. All night, the parrot would talk suddenly and as I awoke from a dead sleep, I thought people were in the next room calling me.....

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
In the middle late 70s someone I know showed up with some hash oil that was clear. All I remember was heating a spoon on the stove and dropping drops on the spoon and sucking up the smoke with a paper towel tube. It was cannabis, I know this for sure, and it was potent, but I think I have had stronger. I cannot remember how viscus or thick it was. I just remember really liking it though. I have never seen or heard of clear hash oil since. I do not know how it is made or anything. I have never made or seen another clear hash oil. I have made lots of hash, many kinds of ways, but never anything even close to clear.

Sforza

Veteran
How were people making honey oil in the 70s?

I was just smoking it, not making it, so I really don't know how they made it.

I was told they made it where they got the hashish, i.e., Pakistan and/or Afghanistan. They dissolved the hashish in solvent, probably an alcohol of one type or another, then ran it through filters, including an activated charcoal filter, while it was in solution. They they evaporated the solvent leaving honey oil.

Supposedly it was easier to smuggle the oil back the States than solid hashish and once it was here, it was more valuable, pound for pound than hashish, so it was worth the extra steps required to produce it.

We smoked it in glass pipes or painted rolling papers with the oil and rolled joints, which we called oilers.

Madjag

Veteran
Well today, Tuesday 16.Aug.16, is a big day in Arizona...... Judge Gentry give her ruling on the legality of Proposition 205. The Forces of Evil, are trying desperately to stop the proposition from making its way to the ballot this November 2016.

Though the Proposition is far from perfect, it takes the heat off of weed and makes it legal to own and smoke cannabis. Safer Arizona's version is a much better proposal, however it didn't get enough valid signatures to be considered for the November ballot.

I've waited since 1969 and don't want to wait any longer. Safer Arizona acknowledges that in 2018 this law, should it pass, can be modified to truly make cannabis more legal. The present Prop 205, in regards to penalties, merely removes some penalties and lessens others. But sometimes you have to get your foot in the door in order to force change.....

from Modern Times magazine

Marijuana Legalization May Or May Not Be Coming To Arizona In The Near Future,
But Both Opponents And Proponents Can’t Help But To Blunder Their Way Into The Debate

By John Guzzon
Modern Times Magazine

Aug. 15, 2016 — The guests in the courtroom where attorneys on Friday battled over whether the “Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol” initiative should appear on Arizona ballots in November likely wouldn’t have gasped if the ghost of Rod Serling appeared.

It was that surreal of an experience.

“You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the signpost up ahead—your next stop, the Twilight Zone!” wrote Rod Serling.

On one side were those against legalizing marijuana, better known as the plaintiffs. Attorney Brett Johnson did the litigating, but the man who sat next to Arizona Republic and azcentral.com reporter Yvonne Sanchez is the real power player: Glenn Hamer, CEO of the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry. Hamer, a former head of the Arizona Republican Party, has been designated to lead to this effort by the forces against legalization, better known as nearly every prosecutor and deep-pocketed business owner in the state.

The other side — those who drafted and supported the initiative, and better known as the defendants — was litigated by attorney Roy Herrera. Herrera really works for medical marijuana dispensary owners who hope to maintain their hegemony over the legal marijuana trade in this state.Last Thursday, Secretary of State Michele Reagan validated the signatures of Arizona residents — more than 177,000 of them — and has slated the initiative for the November ballot. Johnson and the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry are trying to get Judge Jo Lynn Gentry to disqualify it. Their argument is the 100-word summary that described the initiative did not accurately describe what the initiative would establish.

And here is where Rod Serling’s ghost comes in. Johnson and others were arguing that they were defending signers of the petition to get the measure on the ballot. They claim because the summary did not mention that the initiative states that marijuana use by itself could be grounds for DUIs or as negative evidence in child custody cases, for example, many of the signers were duped.

“If you omit principal provisions (of the initiative) as decided by the court, it cannot be placed on the ballot,” Johnson argued.He later called the tactic a classic example of the old, “bait and switch.”

Firstly, the initiative says DUIs and child custody matters can be based “solely” on marijuana possession or use. Nothing in the initiative says an impaired driver or a pothead who falls asleep on the couch while his baby drowns in a pool or walks into traffic is not responsible. On the contrary, it seems to be designed to stop prejudicing legal and other opinions on marijuana use.
Read full text of proposed initiative here.

To be sure, the initiative — which will be known as Prop. 205 if Judge Gentry or another judge does not disqualify it — is very complicated. It sets up a state department with enforcement officers and allows medical marijuana dispensaries first crack at legalized sales to adults 21 and older, among many other things.Read full text of proposed initiative here.

Johnson was basically arguing that the 177,000 people that signed the petition were duped. The initiative, though, generally does what is says it will in the summary. Marijuana will be legal to buy and grow for anyone older than 21 and can be grown or sold by licensed businesses.

Has there been anyone who actually signed the petition who, after learning about some details they may not have read when they signed, were so taken aback that they felt duped?

No one knows, but surely Glenn Hamer and the folks at the Arizona Chamber of Commerce and Industry aren’t among them.

But in an effort to stop marijuana legalization, Johnson and those he represents are arguing that initiatives must be so simple that if they cannot be FULLY described in 100 words, they can’t qualify for a ballot.

“If they cannot put all of the substantial provisions (in the summary), they shouldn’t be filing,” Johnson said.

The Twilight Zone strikes again. Where else but in the Twilight Zone would an attorney argue that potential legislation should not be sufficiently complicated?

Further, why would it be a good thing for the residents of the state — except those that pay good money to influence the state legislature — to inherit an eroded initiative process? Likely because it forced Clean Elections, Medical Marijuana, term limits and more upon the legislature.

In all fairness, the details are where the proponents of the initiative also entered the Twilight Zone. They want marijuana legal, but only for sale by medical marijuana dispensary applicants at first. And, they get first crack at the new licenses. In perpetuity, the initiative calls for the number of authorized locations to be capped at 10 percent of series nine liquor licenses. Series 9 are “liquor stores” that allow to-go purchases. There are approximately 1,470 series 9 in Arizona. That means a maximum of 147 locations as of now.

Further into the Twilight, the initiative creates an, “investigative unit,” and “compliance officers,” that will enforce marijuana laws. It seems a bit heavy-handed to legalize something while at the same time creating a new group of “peace officers.

”For her part, Gentry seemed rightfully on the fence and that she was adjudicating without respect to her personal stance on the issue. While she did question Herrera’s statement that she had no authority to rule whether something was “fraudulent,” she also asked Johnson how he would suggest writing a summary, intimating that she feels initiatives can, at times, be so detailed as to render the 100-word summary requirement as an effort in style over substance.

Friday’s show in Gentry’s courtroom showed just how political this fight is. And, while admittedly Rod Serling did not make an appearance, the attempts to get the initiative thrown off the ballot is an effort, specifically on Johnson’s part to take, “A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination.”

Surely he and his backers’ political stance against legalized marijuana is better fought in the court of public opinion.

Let it go to the ballot.

Spend time and capital addressing possible flaws in the legislation and let the best political stance win. If it passes, there’s plenty of time for attorneys.

It’s the American way.

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
I was just smoking it, not making it, so I really don't know how they made it.

We smoked it in glass pipes or painted rolling papers with the oil and rolled joints, which we called oilers.

I made some oil in my kitchen in 1981 or '82.

The close buddy of a close buddy, (I knew the guy) had a glass, 300 mm Graham Condenser and the glass piece that went under it to hold the vegetative matter..
It had come from a lab, and I was told it's purpose was to extract the oils from organic matter...

I had to scrounge up a 1000ml. Erlenmeyer flask and build a rack to hold it all up..

I used an electric skillet, filled with water, to set the flask in as a double boiler for the 190 proof Everclear alcohol that I used as the solvent...
I used tin foil over the skillet and around the neck of the flask, to condense the boiling water, so I wouldn't have to watch and refill it all day.
The Everclear was in a closed system, so I didn't have to worry about it evaporating..
The whole thing was almost 3 feet tall..

I put a bunch of trimmings, from another friend, in it, and let each batch recirculate for about 24 hours...
When it was all done, I took the quart of now black Everclear and carefully evaporated it off until I was left with about 5 oz. of dark-honey colored hash oil.

My friends, who had all given me shit about my project, were now all extremely happy to help me smoke the stuff!:biggrin:. and it lasted us a long time!
I have a photo of it somewhere, I need to find it and put it in the scanner and post it here!

Sforza

Veteran
I made some oil in my kitchen in 1981 or '82.

The close buddy of a close buddy, (I knew the guy) had a glass, 300 mm Graham Condenser and the glass piece that went under it to hold the vegetative matter..
It had come from a lab, and I was told it's purpose was to extract the oils from organic matter...

I had to scrounge up a 1000ml. Erlenmeyer flask and build a rack to hold it all up..

I used an electric skillet, filled with water, to set the flask in as a double boiler for the 190 proof Everclear alcohol that I used as the solvent...
I used tin foil over the skillet and around the neck of the flask, to condense the boiling water, so I wouldn't have to watch and refill it all day.
The Everclear was in a closed system, so I didn't have to worry about it evaporating..
The whole thing was almost 3 feet tall..

I put a bunch of trimmings, from another friend, in it, and let each batch recirculate for about 24 hours...
When it was all done, I took the quart of now black Everclear and carefully evaporated it off until I was left with about 5 oz. of dark-honey colored hash oil.

My friends, who had all given me shit about my project, were now all extremely happy to help me smoke the stuff!:biggrin:. and it lasted us a long time!
I have a photo of it somewhere, I need to find it and put it in the scanner and post it here!

I didn't know how to make it in the 1970s, but do know how to make it now.

I use 190 proof Everclear and the method Gray Wolf explains in this thread:

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=200660

Instead of soaking the trim for a long time, GW suggests just soaking the trim for three minutes using very cold ethanol, so that you get a cleaner oil.

I have some pictures of my homemade rig in that thread.

I have some trim and Everclear chilling in my freezer right now, just waiting for the weather to get a little cooler before doing a run, since I run the still in the garage, because I like to have good ventilation, not wanting to blow up the house or catch it on fire.