What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Old School Arizona

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
I think I'll leave it to you. Anything old school AZ? I have related a few parts of my history regarding op since coming to az. in '72. That makes me 'old'. I would just like to see people stick to the topic. Sorry if I got some people butt hurt. So spin your cosmic incoherent tales. You might know who you are if you keep up with your meds.
Time out for me.

R

rbt

I think I'll leave it to you. Anything old school AZ? I have related a few parts of my history regarding op since coming to az. in '72. That makes me 'old'. I would just like to see people stick to the topic. Sorry if I got some people butt hurt. So spin your cosmic incoherent tales. You might know who you are if you keep up with your meds.
Time out for me.

Not a problem wont be back don't need whinning bitches to write stories so they can think they have a life

Sforza

Veteran
Thank you all so much for this thread!

It was a hell of a thread but it has kinda petered out. Mad Jag kicked it off with some very inspiring tales of the good old days.

Luckily, not all of his tales were strictly confined to Arizona, so I used his inspiration to reminisce about some of my adventures during the same time frame most of his stories take place in. I sure would like to read some more of his stories. I am sure that he has plenty more. I know that every time I think about one story, another comes to mind. The difficulty comes from having the time and motivation to put the story into writing.

I have not done anything noteworthy or interesting in Arizona, unless working on the old concrete block cabin that my father left me when he died counts. It is a lot of work, but my wife and I have managed to at least make the place livable and we have lots of plans for the place, if we do relocate there when we retire.

With 40 acres and two good wells, if the initiative passes in 2016, I would consider putting my growing skills back to work as a hobby farm.

I first started growing in Connecticut. I got to Connecticut via Campbell, CA.

I spent years down in Negril, JA on the beach. For a while I was working on riverboats from Pittsburgh to Port Arthur, TX for thirty days on then I had thirty days off. On my thirty days off, I would head down to Florida, hanging out in Coconut Grove and Fort Lauderdale. Then a buddy and I went over to Negril, back when it was really small and primitive, around 1972, and we were hooked.

Eventually, we built a shack and lived down there, making a living by our wits. When I look at my earning record in my Social Security account, there is a long string of years with 0 income, but of course we made money, lots of money and had lots of fun doing so.

From Negril, we started going to Colombia, first Santa Marta and later, Cartagena. In Cartagena, in a hotel elevator, I met my Bolivian connection, a fine looking woman. She checked me out in the elevator and I checked her out right back, but we did not say anything to each other on that first meeting, since I was with a couple of Colombian guys heading to a meeting and she was with another person too.

I noticed her riding around town in a VW dune buggy with the owner of the popular beach hamburger spot, Wimpy's. She was obviously a player. The next time we met, we started talking to each other. We did not talk a lot, since she spoke no English and I speak very poor Spanish, but we made ourselves understood. We were going to go out that night and hit the town.

She had a crew and she insisted on paying for everything for everyone, using a big wad of US hundred dollar bills to do so.

We spent the night together in the hotel that night and then she was gone early the next morning before I was awake, but she left her phone number and address in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. It wasn't too long before I went down to visit her, but when I got down there I found out that she was married and had a very jealous husband, so I ended up spending time with her cousin and his wife. He took care of me and showed me a good time.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn, in Santa Cruz the last few days before I left for the states. Given the quality of the product and the cheap price, I ended up with more than I could comfortably transport. I ended up going out of my hotel room about 3:00 AM and finding a empty lot next door to the hotel, where I dug a little hole and stashed the excess. My next trip back it was right where I had left it. I did the same thing on a trip to Jamaica, putting the excess stash into a Milo can and burying it in the sand inland a bit from the beach on Bloody Bay. There is probably a condo at that spot now. Burying and digging up a stash reminded me of the way pirates used to roll.

Back in the US the cops busted my place, but I wasn't there. They left the warrant on the table. I knew if I called my lawyer his advice would be to turn myself in right away. I reasoned that if I turned myself in, they would put me in jail in an attempt to rehabilitate me. I decided to skip town and move to Fort Lauderdale and get out of the business. That way, I would accomplish that which the government wanted, me being rehabilitated, and in the process save the government a lot of money and myself a lot of grief.

It seems to have worked, since the statute of limitations must surely have passed by now and I am a fine upstanding citizen, paying lots of taxes, along with being married for more than thirty years, and having raised a college educated daughter. It was a win/win.

I got a lease on a building just off the beach in Fort Lauderdale and along with a girl born in Hong Kong, who had become a Canadian citizen by marrying a guy in Toronto, who I met in Negril, I went to work converting it into a restaurant. Long story short, I was not a very good at running a restaurant, and lost a lot of money during the off season, so I sold that and moved to California in 1980.

I worked in the semiconductor industry and since I was a chemistry major, I was soon doing pretty well. Every week the guys in my department would pool our money and buy some fine California sinsemilla. After smoking so much Jamaican and Colombian weed, I found the California herb fine, but it sure was expensive.

I got a promotion that entailed a move to Connecticut. In Connecticut, the ganja was not very good and was pretty expensive. That is what led me to trying to grow my own. I started with a couple seeds from some commercial Colombian in a pot on a window sill. That did not work out very well, but it got me reading Ed Rosenthal's book and I learned some basic information.

It must have been about 1981 that I saw an ad in High Times for some seeds from Holland. As I recall, I bought some Skunk #1 and some Northern Lights, but I can't say that I remember for sure. The descriptions of those two strains sounded good. Using the the Dutch seeds made all the difference in the world. The thick heavy Indica buds under metal halide bulbs were a revelation and freed me from spending money every week on commercial Colombian ganja.

Last edited:

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
It wasn't too long before I went down to visit her, but when I got down there I found out that she

Would it kill you to tell more about going down to visit her? This has been known a well known technique that will make a break a gringo who is with a woman from Santa Cruz. Don't hold back on the nitty gritty details. :dance013:

Sforza

Veteran
No, sir, it wouldn't kill me. I must die hard, since I have been through a lot and I am still kicking.

As I recall, to get down to Santa Cruz to I took a plane from Kingston, to Lima, Peru. I stayed at the Granja Azul, a nice hotel/resort outside Lima that I had stayed at before. The air crews from the European airlines stayed at the hotel and the stewardesses would sun bath topless, so it was my go to hotel when I was staying in Lima for a couple days, besides the Sheraton in Lima itself.

I had come down with some sort of tropical disease while staying in Taganga, Colombia on a previous trip, which messed up my system, such that I was subject to severe night sweats and profuse sweating on little exertion at some times and at others I was hit with chills. The profuse sweating with little exertion and the sudden chills gradually went away, but it took many years before the night sweats finally faded away.

While at the Granja Azul, on that trip, I recall that I got real cold and started shivering. I put on all the warm clothes I had in my suitcase, which was not much, and got under the blankets on the bed. Eventually the shivering ended and I went about my business. That was by far the worse case of sudden chills that I ever had. The other times were much less noticeable and the chills went away long before the sweating finally got back to normal.

I was just passing through on this trip and I don't recall meeting or even seeing any women at the Granja on this trip. I am sure that I was looking but the action was hit or miss, depending on the schedules of the flight crews. But on a later trip, the gal from Santa Cruz came up to Negril, with her crew, and visited me. When she was ready to head back to Santa Cruz, at the last minute, she asked me to accompany her back to Santa Cruz. We followed the same Kingston to Lima to Santa Cruz route and had the same layover in Lima. We also stayed in the same Granja Azul hotel. I remember the words she used as she snuggled into the freshly made bed to this day and I use those same words myself when, after a long hard day, getting into the bed feels particularly good. "Que rica the cama!" Which I take it means basically how good the bed feels.

On another trip I met a Brazilian stewardess from Rio de Janeiro who worked for Lufthansa at the Granja Azul. I went down to Rio and spent a week with her there at her apartment. Rio was a nice mixture of beach and urban, sort of like New York City meets Negril. This was back in the day when Studio 54 was big in New York and I rented a limo and brought my stewardess girlfriend and my sister who was a model based in New York City and hit Studio 54. There was another disco big in New York around that time Xenon, if I recall correctly, that we also would go to. The discos in Rio reminded me of the scene in New York City.

Eventually, I met my wife, an Indo who was working for KLM at the Granja Azul. It did not take me long after meeting my future wife to get back to Negril, get to my stash of cash, and get to The Hague to spend some time with her. I got to Holland about the same time she did, since she had a layover in Portugal. It took some time and effort but eventually she became my wife and an American Citizen.

From Lima, it was on to Santa Cruz, although I believe I had to get off the plane at El Alto, in La Paz to go through customs and then get right back on the same plane. Since I was hung over from drinking Pisco Sours at the Granja Azule and the airport is at more than 13,000 feet of elevation, I was a bit light headed. Then on to Santa Cruz. Pass through customs and head to the Holiday Inn.

As far as going down on a woman as a love making technique, it is in my repertoire, among many others, but as far as it being a make or break technique with women from Santa Cruz or anywhere else, I have to say that I agree with Theodis Ealey. To quote, "You can lick it and you can stroke it but you ain't done a dog gone thing unless you stand up in it!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EegO_kvasPM

I hope that helps you out a bit there Mr. Belvedere.

Do you care to share your experiences with the women in Santa Cruz or anything else about your stays in the city? I would like to hear your stories because I certainly enjoyed almost all the time I was in the city, except for one rather harrowing night spent in a hotel near the prison while I was holding a considerable amount of contraband, some portion of which I had consumed. I listened to the sounds coming from the prison all night while imagining that any minute there was going to be a knock on the door to my room, which would lead to my being locked up abroad. Luckily, I never had to spend an entire night in any jail outside of the country.

One thing that I liked in particular about Santa Cruz was the good beer in large brown bottles served by sidewalk cafes on the plaza. There is a sizable German population in Bolivia, the President at the time was a guy called Banzer, and they sure did make some good beer in Bolivia. It had a good thick head and tasted wonderful.

Last edited:

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
Thanks Sforza it sounds like you're an international deal closer- you have much to teach, I will be your humble student... until I can remember some noteworthy capers involving some Cochabamba wild woman that can compare to yours.

Just so we stay on topic- my cousin lives in high altitude Albuquerque NM (practically borders Arizona) and I will tell him the deal closer line "que rica the cama, ima stand up in this!" next time he snuggles with his Italian side piece. Thanks for sharing!

Sforza

Veteran
Cool breeze, MB. You have to admit that Cochabamba is a hell of a cool name. It is fun just to say it. Sort of like that lake that you fly over when you are traveling between La Paz and Lima. You know the one, Lake Titicaca.

Madjag

Veteran
You guys get ready..........I'll talk about today, in Brooklyn, Northern Cali, and of course Sedona Arizona. Last night I had a dream about them all and guess what - my dreams always point the way.

Sforza....your cabin will be a mansion when you are free. I mean, 2 good wells, what more could a homesteader ask for other than a good solar array and solar pump that brings up that liquid gold for free (almost).

Edit: give me a week, no more.

Madjag

Veteran
Thanks Sforza for the wake-up call......I have been languishing uncomfortably in this summer of great wetness. Not so hot, but more like Houston's temps and humidity than I, as an old-time Arizonan, would care for.

To arms!!

waveguide

Veteran
bird (medium bird) keeps telling me "rec weed!" but he's a cheeky bugger so he might be saying "wreck" i don't get too excited

once shit is legal i bet we'll have some more folks with stories too.

Sforza

Veteran
You guys get ready..........I'll talk about today, in Brooklyn, Northern Cali, and of course Sedona Arizona. Last night I had a dream about them all and guess what - my dreams always point the way.

Sforza....your cabin will be a mansion when you are free. I mean, 2 good wells, what more could a homesteader ask for other than a good solar array and solar pump that brings up that liquid gold for free (almost).

Edit: give me a week, no more.

True Madjag. My father was quite proud of his two good wells. Even though his first well always provided plenty of flow over many years, watering cattle and irrigating trees and crops, he still spent some good money to get that second well drilled and have a pump installed. He never used it but it was there if he needed it. He told me water is vital in the desert.

Getting a solar array and solar pump installed is definitely high on the to do list. Not only do I want it, but more importantly, the wife is insistent that we have that backup. So spending the money is not going to result in an argument.

I am considering putting a 275 gallon tote tank up on a covered stand next to the well. Use one small DC submersible pump installed next to the AC submersible pump and have it pump to the surface. Have another DC pump to pump from the surface up 8 feet or so into the tote tank. Plumb the tote tank into the pipe that runs from the well to the cabin so that if the AC fails and the sun is not shining, I can still flush the toilet and get water to the sinks, even though it will be low pressure, using gravity flow.

There is already a large metal tank on the property that holds water. I am planning to use the overflow from the solar pump to fill that tank up as a reserve. The solar pump might was well run while the sun shines. I don't know the exact amount that it can hold, but based on a tank trailer that a semi pulls holding about 5,000 gallons I would estimate somewhere between 10,000 and 20,000 gallons.

I am looking forward to reading your stories, Madjag. It is funny how a dream can bring out details of things that happened a long time ago and make it feel as like the present. Dreams are a trip and one of the things that makes life so interesting.

wolfhoundaddy

Veteran
In the mid 70's we had a gold mine up in the Bradshaws near Crown King. There is a tunnel down the hill a ways that we pumped water for the cabin and mining operations. Also caught water off the galvanized metal roof. Elevation around 6,000' so plenty of pines. I can't believe we took no filtering precautions or treatments. The rainwater was a brown tint...I'm smiling to myself how we blazed headlong into everything, nobody ever got sick. Maybe it was the 'lumbo'.

Madjag

Veteran
My good Sedona street people friends who always kept the drum circle going went out and bought a brand new galvanized garbage can to use cook the giant turkey for that Thanksgiving dinner. They cooked that Tom over a fire in that zinc-coated can and shared it with many other vagabonds. I abstained.

I always wondered if they had any immediate or delayed effects from the massive amount of zinc that they ingested that day. I did my share of headstrong moves, though, and thank my lucky stars I'm here today.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
The folks eating the zinc turkey didn't have a cold all year!

I smoked the trash can game in AZ and I am due for a refund or multi million dollar settlement
:
--------------------------
March 4, 2008 -- If you bought Airborne, the popular herbal and vitamin formula originally touted as a cold preventive, you're due for a refund.

The makers of Airborne have agreed to refund money to consumers as part of a $23.3 million settlement of a class-action lawsuit for false advertising. It does not admit wrongdoing or illegal conduct.

Products included are the Airborne Effervescent Health Formula, Airborne On-the-Go, Airborne Power Pixies, Airborne Nighttime, Airborne Jr., Airborne Gummi, and Airborne Seasonal (formerly sold as Airborne Seasonal Relief).

Airborne: The Road to the Lawsuit
Initially, Airborne ads touted its line of products as a way to prevent and treat colds; Airborne later toned down those claims and now calls the formulas immune boosters.

In February 2006, a report on national television questioned the validity of a clinical trial touted by Airborne as a study that offered proof that its products work. Soon after, the false advertising lawsuit was filed in 2006 by California law firms representing a consumer who protested that the formula did not work as advertised.

"One of their more outrageous claims is that you take it before entering a germy environment and you're instantly protected," David Schardt, senior nutritionist for the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), tells WebMD.

The CSPI, a nonprofit consumer watchdog group, joined the lawsuit in late 2006 when asked to do so by the California law firms representing the plaintiff. "It's just a mixture of vitamins, herbs, and minerals," Schardt says. "There is nothing particularly special about this mixture." The company is also under scrutiny by about 24 state attorneys general and the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), according to The CSPI, although the FTC won't confirm an investigation.

A spokesperson for Airborne, who declined to be quoted by name, says, "Airborne is an immune booster. We are pleased to have reached this settlement." The company refers the media and consumers to the settlement web site, airbornehealthsettlement.com, for more information.\\\\

---------------
PLEASE HELP TELL ME HOW TO CONTACT RAINBOW ELDERS TO GET MY REFUND and /or settlement?? I want to be part of the 23 million dollars in Arizona settlement money. If I remember correctly the BBQ on the Zinz refuse can at the Rainbow Gathering was touted to disappear all colds and flus.

We were innocent and eating our hometown leaf juice and hot dogs but we were incited to try the BBQ pail game after goading from some hotties in short pants :woohoo:

#zincPoisonRainbowDrumCicrcle <please upvote this on instagram or twitter or whatever can make me rich! Right before I took a bite off the pork chop somebody screamed "I'm rich bitch!!!" and to this day I have no idea what they were talking about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts