What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Old School Arizona

billycw

Veteran
Looking for info on a strain that was around Phx in the mid to late 90's. Started seeing it around 95ish and was around for a couple years, always just called "Hawaiian". Always was super wet(had to let it sit out a day or two to smoke) and was going around the same time ATF was in the valley. (might of been from the same person as that always seemed a bit wet too)

I remember the smell as being very exotic and had a really good head hit followed by a mellow body. I always assumed it was Sensi's Hawaiian indica because right before it showed up seemed to be sensi stock floating the valley ie silver pearl, early girl, juicy fruit. Only problem is if my memory is right seemed way more sativa in nature.

Have been doing a lot of digging lately and seems like a lot of references to a "Hawaiian" in many gardens around the early 90's, just no specification on which Hawaiian was floating.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Madjag

Veteran
dopeness-for-days-17_zpsvcvydcwz.gif

Madjag

Veteran
some of my favorite drawings by Acid Flo:

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

Madjag

Veteran
In many respects, the Casa Azul, or Blue House, in the Coyoacán area of Mexico City, where Kahlo lived for most of her life, and its garden can be counted as one of her artworks. Bought by her father in 1904 – three years before she was born – it came to her in 1939, when Rivera took over the mortgage.

frida-kahlo-3_3275357b.jpg

Frida-Kahlo-museum-Casa-Azul-Mexico-City-1024x682.jpg

Saguaro

Spent the past four days pruning back mesquite trees……had a branch (with thorns) fall directly on my noggin and scrape my scalp.

boy oh boy does it itch like CRAZYYYYYYYY

Madjag

Veteran
Wouldn't you know it, Paul Kirchner, artist of the Dope Rider comics, is also a Bowie knife expert, author, and collector.....

Amazon.com excerpt:

"In 1827, James Bowie carved his way into American history at the Sandbar Fight, and soon every fighting man of the South and West had to have a knife like his. The bowie knife could cut like a razor, chop like a cleaver, and stab like a sword, and many considered it deadlier than a pistol at close range. So great was the dread it inspired that by 1838 it was banned in several states—a ban that did little to stanch the flow of blood.

Bowie's story is well known, but what of the other cutters and stabbers of his day? Gunfighters have long been celebrated, but those who fought with the bowie knife have been largely ignored—until now. Unearthing accounts from memoirs, court records, regional histories, and newspaper archives, Paul Kirchner, author of the Paladin bestsellers The Deadliest Men and More of the Deadliest Men Who Ever Lived , presents their stories for the first time in Bowie Knife Fights, Fighters, and Fighting Techniques."

SandBar1%5B2%5D.jpg

The moment when Bowie plunged his knife into Major Norris Wright.

Bagwell+1.jpg

5. Hell’s Belle

Weight: 1 pound, 0.4 oz
Blade Type: Hollow ground, clip point with sharpened false edge
Length Overall: 17 inches
Blade Length: 11 inches

The last knife is for you to compare to your Cold Steel Bowies. It's a "Hell's Belle" made to stringent specs by Ontario and no longer in production, carried in a "Southern Comfort" Kydex sheath made by River City Sheaths. The Bowie knives designed by bladesmith Bill Bagwell are meant solely for fighting, based on the research that he did in New Orleans in the archives of old fighting schools from the French tradition of the 18th and 19th centuries in that era when a gentleman was expected to know how to duel. They're not camp or utility Bowies, and they have blades that appear much more slender than most of the commercial designs that one finds turned out these days. But when you see the thickness of the spine you'll appreciate that these knives have great power when wielded strongly, and the tips aren't fragile. The sharpened 'false' or top edge allows you to make the snap cut which is part of the Bagwell Bowie repertoire, and that works, believe me. The hilt allows you to trap an opponent's blade, and if you're really good the Spanish notch allows you to break a blade or wrest it from him. The long haft allows for a sabre grip that can be shifted to place the butt in the base of the wielder's palm to allow a thrust that gives the fighter an extra 2-4 inches of reach when done properly in the classic fencing style. The coffin shape gives a good hold without being abrasive to the hand. It's almost more of a short sword in some ways, but it can be carried concealed quite handily in that sheath by simply slipping it into your waistband, and letting the stud keep it from slipping down too far. I'll be interested to see what you think of it versus the Natchez or Laredo Bowies. I have a shorter 9 1/2 inch "Gambler" Bagwell/Ontario Bowie that's expressly intended for concealment, but I thought you might get more of a kick out of this one.

This is an excellent bowie and the sheath too is top quality. Of the bowies I own, my favorite is the Cold Steel Laredo, but I have to admit this feels livelier in the hand. I’m skeptical about the utility of the hooked quillions, though they might prove of some use in a knife duel. (I’m doing my best to stay out of knife duels.) As far as the Natchez, that's just too heavy for me to wield comfortably. I should have done more weight lifting in my youth.

Sforza

Veteran
Funny that you posted about Bowie Knives, Madjag. I love a good knife. I always carry my Benchmade Leopard Cub designed by Pat Crawford. I have carried it so much that all the red anodized finish has worn off the handle and the screws holding the handle to the liner were stripped. I sent it back to Benchmade and they fixed the screws and sent it back to me razor sharp for no cost, honoring their lifetime guarantee.
KLC08861.jpg

Not only do I have the Leopard Cub that I have carried for years, I have four or five brand new spares that I bought when the line was discontinued so that I would always have a Leopard Cub, even if I managed to lose or damage my every day carry knife.

I have plenty of other nice knives that spend all the their time in my knife collection box, including some switchblades, which are now legal in my state, but I didn't have a Bowie knife, since I thought they were too big and unwieldy. I preferred my Large Benchmade Spike designed by Phil Bogezewski.

Benchmade640BoguszewskiMiniSpike.jpg

But earlier this month I was in Globe and I checked out the flea market there. I found a nice Vietnam War era Western Bowie Knife, made in Boulder, Colorado and it fit my hand real nice. It had a leather sheath, modified to attach to a web belt and rosewood handles. We agreed to a price of $60 and I am now the owner of a really nice made in America, Bowie Knife.

Knife in sheath
picture.php

Knife blade
picture.php

Knife with sheath

picture.php

When I got my Bowie Knife home, I got out the Syderco sharpening system. In addition to the fine and coarse ceramic stones, I also have some diamond stones for the system, which can remove a lot of metal in a short time. In fifteen minutes of work, I had that Bowie sharp enough to shave the hair off my arm.

Sforza

Veteran
I can only post five pictures at a time, so here are a couple bits of information that I found while doing some research on my Western Bowie.

This is ad from the mid 1960s. Back when you could buy a well made knife for less than $15.00. Of course back then, you had to work hard to earn $15.

picture.php

This is a newspaper story about the Special Forces using the Western Bowie Knife.

picture.php

Of course the good Sgt is a Scotsman. As Jim Webb wrote in his great book, "Born Fighting" the Scots-Irish love to fight and hate to submit to authority. They were the original moonshiners and I would not doubt that the Scots are over represented among the illegal ganja growers.

waveguide

Veteran
arizona.. the state with "knife rights" - any blade, any mount. i can rest my chin on mine, if i tilt my head up a bit :) say what you will about politicians, i appreciate anyone who thinks it's okay for me to walk around with a halberd.

fond of an al mar "hawk" folder - body is solid stainless, no screws, blade doesn't wiggle 15 years (25 if the first one wasn't stolen and kept up a magician's butt for two years then returned to me where they took it), good steel (tested on seeds of many varieties). rigorous design (the butt is designed to be used like an awl). sort of brings a tear to my eye when i think about how well designed it is.

AM1002SSa.jpg

just as a fun bit of colour on the brujo's ass story, (it was taken, then returned shortly before they did their "big action" on me) i was sitting around thinknig damn, i have this really nice knife, but it's been up someone's ass for two years, while they concentrate on sending me to hell or whatev, but surely i can wash the juju off or something?

so like i sat it out in the sun to spiritually cleanse, still didn't feel good about it. then one night my neighbor, who at the time spent several hours a day outside my window or door verbally harassing me for la familia, he said to me "put a little bleach on it". (he was about 15 feet away standing next to my front window at 8122 broadway tucson mr. mckinney)

so i figured fuck, i'm out of ideas, even though this guy is my enemy, what have i got to lose? and i stuck it in some bleach.

came back a few hours later and like half the blade had dissolved away. no one ever told me that shit - bleach dissolves carbon steel. no wonder they don't like people to know that shit.

less than a year later the rest of it was stolen with a bunch of other stuff but i'd already got my darlin lil replacement, so i can still stab people anyway :)

McKush

Éirinn go Brách
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I used to strap a Buck Buckmaster 184c to my leg back in the early 80's. Its not a bowie knife but then again it'll go thru a car door or roof easily.

picture.php

here is a picture for size reference

picture.php

glad i never had to use it.

R

rbt

Wow you strapped that to your leg and walked around. How many years did you have that beast on?. It is strange anyone who's has been in a combat situation and lets hope. I quartered a elk with a Swiss army knife. Left the Saw at camp I have been in the wilds and never got that close to anyone where that beast would be effective. I carried a Seko modified 22-250 for close support and a shorter barrel. 4200 fps muzzle velocity with a handmade 72 grain with a jacketed lead core. With all my firearm experience and being a direct descendent of Moses John Browning. I will make this statement GUN CONTROL needs to happen. A police officer can carry only one and no more velocity than 1200fps and no more than 65 grain for a hand gun and nor more than 165 grain for a rifle IMHO.

99 percent of people think they can use a weapon for defense the best defense is awareness. sharpen that, load that, carry that, defend that, clean that, test that, shop for new, show off to others new awareness, Let me say this people who use weapons and feel they need them only increase them. NOBODY wants to become what the US government has trained me and live the reality of that world. Urban warfare??? a 22cal. is the best it is possible to carry 5000 rounds. And then the Moron that thinks his home is defensible in a urban warfare situation I would call it a supply depot being defended till I need it.

waveguide

Veteran
(inculcated/formatted/cultured) americans are all symbols because their memetics are referential, authoritarian/heirarchal. they are unafraid of real threats unless it resembles a depiction of a threat. americans understand and acknowledge symbols. like, they don't give a shit unless you say "motherfucker" like whichever movie they just watched, then that changes everything. you won the fight becuase you said "motherfucker" correctly.

like "this guy is emotionally engaged! i understand emotions!" they just don't get it unless you do the voice.

never a presentation, always a representation.

Madjag

Veteran
I'm partial to throwing knives. I own two Tru-Bal knives......both I purchased in the 1970's from Harry McEvoy.

Harry K. McEvoy

harrykmcevoy.jpg

"Harry McEvoy, considered to be the Father of modern day knife throwing was a long time resident of Grand Rapids, Michigan.

He founded the Tru-Balance Knife Company in 1949 and was one of the primary suppliers of quality throwing knives to professional and sportsman throwers alike.

He had coached and demonstrated knife and tomahawk throwing for more than 40 years and was the founder of The American Knife Throwers Alliance which is still in operation today by knife thrower and knife maker Bobby Branton of Awendaw, South Carolina.

Mr. McEvoy was the author of many books on the subject of knife throwing and a few other topics.

He authored such books as Archery Today, Crusader in the Wilderness, Knife Throwing "A Practical Guide", Knife and Tomahawk Throwing, "The Art Of The Experts", For Knife Lovers Only, and Co Authored, Knife Throwing as a Modern Sport, with Charles Gruzanski.

McEvoy also authored numerous articles for Knife World Magazine, Blade Magazine, Muzzleloading Magazine, Fighting Knives Magazine and many more too numerous to name."

tb02.jpg

Today's offerings:

trubaleastknivesforsale.jpg

Last edited: