What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Well that just looks killer. :biggrin:

Where did you find those tiny flush cleat sockets? I must have them!

R

ratsidecar

Well that just looks killer. :biggrin:

Where did you find those tiny flush cleat sockets? I must have them!

Screwfix in the UK or amazon sell them. They are just a standard straight batten bulb holder. 45 degree angled versions are available too.

Powerful jelly!

Powerful jelly!

For even more low profile...

http://a.co/09EItap

I have these, I love them.

Ah yes i see lovely potential!
Have i mentioned i ADORE these bulbs/set_ups?
I am gonna build a veg board with those to help with these!

Btw ......can hermie pollen be used? Or does hermie pollen just create problems? Sorry to ask here! Ive tried in other spots but some folks just wanna post pics and leave i guess idk really! Any help thx!

Attachments

• 0517170810.jpg
    0517170810.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 0517170810a.jpg
    0517170810a.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 0517170811.jpg
    0517170811.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 0517170811a.jpg
    0517170811a.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 22
  • 0517170811b.jpg
    0517170811b.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 17
M

Mr. Sparkle

Btw ......can hermie pollen be used? Or does hermie pollen just create problems? Sorry to ask here! Ive tried in other spots but some folks just wanna post pics and leave i guess idk really! Any help thx!

It can be used but any seeds from it will be more prone to being hermies themselves, so if you don't care about unstable genetics than will potentially throw pollen out mid flower then sure, but usually it will just create more problems in the long run.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Continuing the penetration test of the 16w bulbs on the 7 foot tall Ace Seeds Mauritius x Ethiopian. We're at 5 weeks and theres very little difference in bud development up to about 36" off the bulbs:
picture.php

Flower detail:
picture.php

igrowone

Veteran
^^^ a very useful and amazing sativa test
wondering what the ratio of grower's usage these days of hps to led
taking over? that might be a little premature, but from the results i've seen leds could take over

i notice trichome maturity/oxidization, you might wanna keep an eye on that too, for a long flower sativa that might matter?

maybe 1% use led bulbs, but that doesnt mean anything, the preferred choice for small space is hands down led, there is NO point in a 150/250 hps, unless you live in like africa..

argo430

Veteran
I am still loving my LED supplementation to the 315 3000K in the tent the plants are not disliking them. ISSx Grass Monkey 60 days flowering from 3 nodes at ten days from seed. a few more weeks to go maybe more!

Attachments

• twotnt522.jpg
    twotnt522.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 24
  • one.jpg
    one.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 26
  • t523.jpg
    t523.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 19
  • ts523.jpg
    ts523.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 17
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 20

argo430

Veteran
i notice trichome maturity/oxidization, you might wanna keep an eye on that too, for a long flower sativa that might matter?

maybe 1% use led bulbs, but that doesnt mean anything, the preferred choice for small space is hands down led, there is NO point in a 150/250 hps, unless you live in like africa..

I have seen this as well with my 315 plant looks done but the heads are still clear

argo430

Veteran
you have more led's running than mh in wattage? :D
ugh 250ish i had two first gen burple ufo and mars they were drawing 300 plus the 315 so i put in 250ish to 300 ish W and spread that shit around everywhere. Photons a plenty.

The police had got in the house for a welfare check last week when i was working out of town in seattle and my Mum passed. I am in a bit of hot water. It's a good thing there is some large grey area at the moment . I was a tad over the three in veg and the three in flower. I had to take down the bulk of the tent to 3 plants Or it would have been a personal tent record, now i have to do three large plants so i am scrogging some veg monsters as we type. These were started from seed in hugos and were flowered at ten days veg. going on 60 days now.

The photos were from two weeks ago.

Attachments

• uh shit.jpg
    uh shit.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 23
  • umm what happened.jpg
    umm what happened.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 23
  • clst512.jpg
    clst512.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 26
  • bu bye.jpg
    bu bye.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 23
  • um hash maybe.jpg
    um hash maybe.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 22
  • more tissue please.jpg
    more tissue please.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 21
  • back430.jpg
    back430.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Tombsy

Any suggestions on a 3'x3' build?

Was thinking 9 sockets, 9 3 way socket splitters, 27 14w LED bulbs.

378w total.

Overkill?

El Tigre

Continuing the penetration test of the 16w bulbs on the 7 foot tall Ace Seeds Mauritius x Ethiopian. We're at 5 weeks and theres very little difference in bud development up to about 36" off the bulbs:
View Image

Flower detail:
View Image

Thx Terpene, very interesting test.
It's clear that led bulbs work well, but even if measurations could give an idea, i'm still not sure about real penetration and the optimal distance from the canopy...

argo430

Veteran
Any suggestions on a 3'x3' build?

Was thinking 9 sockets, 9 3 way socket splitters, 27 14w LED bulbs.

378w total.

Overkill?

i dont think so. i would put a grid of metal tomato stakes or dowells up in you tents ceiling in a one foot grid over your table just buy em long and cut to fit then lay them out in a one sq foot pattern and lash them in two directions this will also stiffen a cheap tent . hang the stadium lights with some rope cleats so you can adjust them to the plant canopy and enjoy the event

then cobble up 30 watt clusters and hang them every sq foot you can always change the wattage and lamp color by simply replacing lamps no soldering required but you have to understand a screw gun and driver and been shocked a time or two fixing extension cords.If thats so then this is easy.

I have nothing against cobs but I am lazy and I am an avionics tech but not everyone is ... plus the luxury of vertical adjustment. you could easily do this with some pine board and some washers to aim the cleats so you get a good spread or cone depending on your needs with a vert adjustable grid gives you options man..

I will finish the prototype this afternoon and post it up.

the first build will cost upwards of a dollar a watt with 10 w at 1.25 each and i bet this weekend lower than a dollar a bulb will spring up the cost is in cleats and cords and copper so what... after that replacement bulbs

Attachments

• ghetto box closer.jpg
    ghetto box closer.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 19
  • gbfront.jpg
    gbfront.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 19
  • sketch.jpg
    sketch.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited: