What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

M

Mr. Sparkle

@Mr. Sparkle & Terpene
Hey don't give away my identity from those PMs! :D

Here is Lilly I chopped the upper half of the plant, and let the rest ripe more, I taught it's going to be the biggest yielder, but I was wrong, because the thing is that Lilly must be chopped early at about 50 days when the pina-colada smell and effect are on their peak, that's why she isn't fat as other plants...

Still a lovely looking plant :biggrin:

angelgoob

just to let all the people without electrical knowledge.

KNOW THIS.

You can get a power strip/surge protector and there are plug in sockets you can find. So you don't need to build anything. just 3 lights per power surge protector things and you're set. Then build a wooden thing and hang them...

frica

just to let all the people without electrical knowledge.

KNOW THIS.

You can get a power strip/surge protector and there are plug in sockets you can find. So you don't need to build anything. just 3 lights per power surge protector things and you're set. Then build a wooden thing and hang them...

Yea.

I just screwed ceiling sockets into a piece of wood.
Didn't even need a nail, or drill to guide the screw, just pushed the screw into the wood with a screwdriver.

I used a fibreboard, but as long as the wood isn't very hard you can just push screw it in, and even if it's hard you can make a guidance hole with a thin nail.

Besides that you only need wago connectors and some wire.

El Tigre

@Mr. Sparkle & Terpene
Hey don't give away my identity from those PMs! :D

Here is Lilly I chopped the upper half of the plant, and let the rest ripe more, I taught it's going to be the biggest yielder, but I was wrong, because the thing is that Lilly must be chopped early at about 50 days when the pina-colada smell and effect are on their peak, that's why she isn't fat as other plants...

View Image

View Image

View Image

Nice plant!! How big is the pot? soil?

R

ratsidecar

angelgoob I have used both, if your lights are packed close together stick with the 8.5w ones, you can pretty much have buds touching them without burning and they still offer enough penetration to harvest colas close to a foot long. They are usually much cheaper than the 13w versions.

The 13w ones are awesome too but there is much more heat from the bases of them and the philips ones I used all showed cracks on the ceramic base material after a few weeks. However if you have more room between your bulbs they are awesome just watch for signs of heat stress on your plants when they get within 2 inches or so of them. Also they are quite a lot more expensive. A 5 pack of 8.5w bulbs here is £10 whereas one of the philips 13w is usually between £6 and £8 here.

However they are brilliant for raising seedlings with a single bulb above them it is usually bood for the first 3 weeks or so.

S

sillyhead123

angelgoob I have used both, if your lights are packed close together stick with the 8.5w ones, you can pretty much have buds touching them without burning and they still offer enough penetration to harvest colas close to a foot long. They are usually much cheaper than the 13w versions.

The 13w ones are awesome too but there is much more heat from the bases of them and the philips ones I used all showed cracks on the ceramic base material after a few weeks. However if you have more room between your bulbs they are awesome just watch for signs of heat stress on your plants when they get within 2 inches or so of them. Also they are quite a lot more expensive. A 5 pack of 8.5w bulbs here is £10 whereas one of the philips 13w is usually between £6 and £8 here.

However they are brilliant for raising seedlings with a single bulb above them it is usually bood for the first 3 weeks or so.
Yeah the 8w run so much cooler than the 12-14w versions, day and night.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
There's no wrong answer - higher wattage bulbs are better for larger footprints, smaller bulbs are better for micro grows.

The 8w units should run at roughly half the heat that the 16w units do and roughly 60% the heat of a 14w unit - but you have to run two bulbs to produce similar wattage.

On that note, I don't have a scale but here are the dried flowers from 250w of screw in LEDs on that single Alien Orange Cookies x Alien Dawg Ether:
picture.php

@Terpene
Do you cut branches before you dry?

Could you explain your drying process? That's the only thing I haven't read a lot into, your buds look great.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
@Terpene
Do you cut branches before you dry?

Could you explain your drying process? That's the only thing I haven't read a lot into, your buds look great.

:laughing: I do everything wrong according to the purists.

On chop day I pluck all the big leaves off (to speed trimming) and then slice primary branches off the plant. Most of my plants are topped(sometimes multiple times), so there are about 6-10 primary branches and about 6-8 branches on each primary branch. Each branch is sliced off the main branch, trimmed wet and then hung on coat hangers by their nodes.

After about 6-8 days, the buds are tossed into jars. Flowers are smoked from the first day in the jar and whatever isn't consumed "cures" over the coming weeks/months. The uncured buds are about 90% as potent as cured buds - which works out well, as you develop a tolerance, you get progressively stronger flowers. :biggrin:

I've heard people say dry trimming is the only way to preserve smell / taste / whatever. I haven't ever had an issue. I've heard the same about uncured buds being harsh, again - no issue. This might be because I am in soil, or because I tend to go lighter on nutes, or because i like to "flush" with a little molasses in my water for the last 7-10 days or so. I don't know, I just know my process works and requires minimal effort.

Sounds good. Also sounds like i'm worrying about the process for nothing lol.

Basic summary:
Pull big fans.
Chop branches
Wet trim
Hang for 6-8 days
Jar.
flower is now consumable at this stage, curing continues as time passes and buds get more potent.

Sound about right?

Thanks for the advice!

And for all the LED gurus... A question.

I have several screw in LEDs. 20 total, 2 brands. (10 each brand)

How do I figure out how to make a driver say if I didn't want to run the bulb sockets?

For example if i wanted to string 10 together like cob builds I see, how do I figure out what voltage and current I need for a driver?

M

Mr. Sparkle

Sounds good. Also sounds like i'm worrying about the process for nothing lol.

Basic summary:
Pull big fans.
Chop branches
Wet trim
Hang for 6-8 days
Jar.
flower is now consumable at this stage, curing continues as time passes and buds get more potent.

Sound about right?

Thanks for the advice!

More or less the way i do it and works great for me.

And for all the LED gurus... A question.

I have several screw in LEDs. 20 total, 2 brands. (10 each brand)

How do I figure out how to make a driver say if I didn't want to run the bulb sockets?

For example if i wanted to string 10 together like cob builds I see, how do I figure out what voltage and current I need for a driver?

You will need to know how much each unit is pulling as far as current and voltage wise, then you can spec out a compatible driver/drivers , just have to decide if you want to run them in series or parallel or some combination of the two.

Parallel you will want a driver capable of (n)xbase current at base voltage with n being the number of leds units in parallel

Series is (n)x base voltage at the base current, again n being the number of leds.

But you can also make a combination of the both of say 4 groups run in parallel of 5 in series, which in that case you would need a driver capable of 4 times the base current at 5 times the base voltage.

Once you have those base values the rest is easier to figure out.

Mr Sparkle, thank you for the information. I'll figure out how to test/measure voltage and current then I'll try to figure out the rest :)

I have arduino stuff on the way to automate my mini fridge i'm building, thanks to you, and your code. :)

Latest posts

Latest posts