What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

brown_thumb

I cancelled the order for the warm white lamps I linked to because I learned the light spread is only 25 degrees. I'm looking for other lamps now with a wider spread and will limit the color to 2700K.

EDIT: I bought THESE to replace them. I'll run them for several days with the domes intact so if there are any immediate failures I can return them. Then I'll pop the domes off for better efficiency.

Last edited:

pANicModE

plants will flower under 2500k/3000k/5000k/6000k some will do a bit better because of the color difference but prob not by much on micro grows :rasta:

I cancelled the order for the warm white lamps I linked to because I learned the light spread is only 25 degrees. I'm looking for other lamps now with a wider spread and will limit the color to 2700K.

EDIT: I bought THESE to replace them. I'll run them for several days with the domes intact so if there are any immediate failures I can return them. Then I'll pop the domes off for better efficiency.
i think those will be better overall
if youre in the us you might find a better deal but not by much
ive never tried those red ones so cant say, but in general their output is too low, but it might be good in flowering to add to the spectrum.. who knows..

BruceBanner

Veteran
If someone wants to unsolder LED-s from the bulb and put them on some aluminium for cooling, here is how it looks, it's all very simple

You can see the white paste that makes the LED base has a better "grip" on that alu ring for cooling properties

jagr36.jpg

4r4a4x.jpg

nffsdh.jpg

11rpxxi.jpg

28md2qv.jpg

And do wear sunglasses, I have only 100W in there, and my eyes hurt afterwards, with 40W no problem, but above that, sunglasses are a must!

Last edited:

BruceBanner

Veteran
Plants are pretty bushy/short internodes with those 6000K

From left to right Oaxaca, SugarLoaf, Queen Mother, Panama, Oaxaca
Beginning of day 25
2j61hzl.jpg

QM, Panama

68vqt5.jpg

Last edited:
good pics but how do you have 100w in there? but youre right about eye protection, thats why i keep my lights as low as possible to avoid looking up and looking into it
with <150w i cant see shit for 10 minutes afterwards if i look up into it for over 15 seconds

BruceBanner

Veteran
good pics but how do you have 100w in there? but youre right about eye protection, thats why i keep my lights as low as possible to avoid looking up and looking into it
with <150w i cant see shit for 10 minutes afterwards if i look up into it for over 15 seconds

Two lanes with five bulbs each :biggrin:

2edtdus.jpg

Last edited:

Tbonegrower

I am running 14 10-watt bulbs in my flower box. These things are no joke. I keep them as close as possible, mostly due to the height of my box, and I get very little larf anymore.

chronosync

Anyone here doing dtw coco?

I just set up a small tent with 6 x 20w 5000k LED

Not sure if that's a lot of light and at what ec I should be at.

under 400w halide and sodium hid I'm at 50w/sqf and around 0.8ec in veg

Bishop916

I subbed just to tell yawls:
I found 24 packs of the EcoSmart 9w / 2700K soft white bulbs at HD for 10 bucks!
So I bought two. This is going to make me re-think my drink on my flowering room.
Can I use a few 2700k's in my veg room as well?

brown_thumb

Damn... I paid $69 delivered for 12 of the 15w Great Value brand. :mad:

EDIT: After researching a bit more, I've discovered the 60w equivalent seem to be the sweet spot on cost per watt output. It seems the 100w equivalent are approximately 6-7x the price per bulb. When I was shopping for bulbs I had no idea there was such a disparity so I never shopped for 60w equivalent bulbs. Oh well... lesson learned.

Last edited:

Tbonegrower

I managed to collect all of mine from Menards. They are all 75 watt equivalent and I picked them up for like $3ish a bulb. Started with two rows of 5, and expanded with an additional 4 a few weeks later. I had grown with a 150 HPS + 75 MH + ~100watt CFL for a couple years and these 14 LEDs are kicking that setups ass. I couldn't believe it at first and now I am just stoked!

Latest posts

Latest posts