What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
HuffnPuff, I am running all 5000k in veg and the results are exactly what you'd expect from CFLs - the leaves are smaller and the nodes are a little bit tighter.

Mule, those are sub-irrigated containers if Im not mistaken. :biggrin: I am a huge fan of SIPs - major increase in output / reduction of soil used / super easy to water.

Self-watering-container.jpg

30gallonSIP.gif

I adapted the design for indoor containers with 3.5 gallon buckets - the upper drain hole becomes a tube that shows when the reservoir is full, the lower tube is a sight gauge. Walk into the grow room, look at where the water is, fill till full. I should note I used to grow in 10 gallon containers, a 3.5 gallon SIP will support the same sized plant as a 10 gallon container will.
picture.php

Lots more here: Ace (and other sats) Indoor Tricks

MdNewgrower

OK I have to ask - why does each plant have a snorkel in the soil???
As Terpene said below, sub irrigation. Personally, I think, so far at least, that it is less likely to over or under water from the bottom up.
HuffnPuff, I am running all 5000k in veg and the results are exactly what you'd expect from CFLs - the leaves are smaller and the nodes are a little bit tighter.

Mule, those are sub-irrigated containers if Im not mistaken. :biggrin: I am a huge fan of SIPs - major increase in output / reduction of soil used / super easy to water.

View Image

View Image

I adapted the design for indoor containers with 3.5 gallon buckets - the upper drain hole becomes a tube that shows when the reservoir is full, the lower tube is a sight gauge. Walk into the grow room, look at where the water is, fill till full. I should note I used to grow in 10 gallon containers, a 3.5 gallon SIP will support the same sized plant as a 10 gallon container will.
View Image

I like the dual tube set up. I might think about that for the next time.

The "more plant in less container" philosophy is what caught my attention on this method.

MdNewgrower

View Image

View Image

View Image

Also meant to say, if when I do this, I would go with a 3 gallon rubbermaid tub, which would fit my space perfectly, and need minimal light proofing.

pANicModE

What do you folks think of THESE for flowering? They're 3000K color temperature.
absolute rip off you can 20 bulbs in lowes/homedepot/walmart for the price of one of them bulbs with the same wattage and lumens ;)
am i right or wrong fellas? those bulbs claim 20watts and 1100lumens.. i have 14 watt bulbs from HD that are 1100lumens for a few dollars each ;)

brown_thumb

^^^ That price is for a package of 20 lamps delivered to my door. They're 20 watt, 38 PAR, 3000K, 1100 lm and are $4 each delivered. So they're that bad? I know that eBay sellers (and others) overrate the wattage of their LED lamps but I figure these are probably about 14 watts each (actual).

There is only one Walmart in my little town and they don't carry the same items as the larger stores in larger cities. If I want to buy what I need locally it'll have to take at least a two hour round trip, not counting actual shopping time. I'm generally not able to handle that. Also, the fuel cost alone will add greatly to the overall cost of the lamps.

pANicModE

oh ok lol i thought that was the price per bulb lmfao not to sure about them bulbs best to wait for blynx or someone else to chime in here :rasta:

brown_thumb

No problem. I do appreciate your input. That eBay listing is a bit confusing. Hopefully, I didn't goof too badly. I already bought them. :)

BTW, here's my little garden under the mixed spectrum (eBay) 16 watt (actual) LEDs for vegging...

DSCN0436_zpsvbskoeij.jpg

guys that par doesnt stand for photo active radiation or whatever..

its PARABOLIC ALUMINUM REFLECTOR, PAR, model 38 !!

im paying
5$ for 15w 1500lm
3$ 10w 1000lm
and 6$ for 6500k ones