What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

S

sillyhead123

Costco has 10 packs of 14w LEDs for $30. Here's a picture of said 10 pack and a how to pop the lenses off step by step.

View Image

Installed in a 7'H x 4'W x 2'D armoire:
View Image

If you don't mind spending a couple extra bucks (this ones $13 at home depot) go get cheap bathroom vanity lighting fixtures, wire a plug to the end and you're ready to grow. No real wiring knowledge necessary.
View Image

Thank you! I have a very small veg/flower room. Will 2 bulbs work for veg, 4 for flower? Anything that can mount as flush as possible? Can these led bulbs be mounted from the side?

S

sillyhead123

30xbitf.jpg
For example...need space up top. Of course power supply mounting is bad like this, and I only have access to one plug for my 10 plug powerstrip also.

BruceBanner

Veteran
In such small places unsoldering the plate with LEDs from the bulb base and mounting on a flat aluminium for cooling is the right stuff :)

Dakine

Veteran
GreenMember, Naw I dont think its light burn. When I was vegging with just LEDs and no MH , My LED bulbs where 2inches away almost all the time. The only time I would even get A little burn would be when I didnt check on the girls for 2 days and the tops where pressing against the LEDs. I was using the 15watt and 13/14watt LED Bulbs..

chronosync

It looks more like a nutrient problem, p related, or an o.d. of some kind...

If it's from heat the buds would be crispy too, from too much light you get bleaching. Those leaves look more twanged to me.

S

sillyhead123

Can I mount 3 in veg, 3 in flower through a 3 outlet extension cord? This enough for .8sq feet veg/flower?

igrowone

Veteran
Can I mount 3 in veg, 3 in flower through a 3 outlet extension cord? This enough for .8sq feet veg/flower?

i do 1.2 sq ft with 3 bulbs, still cfl's at the moment, but good results
will be switching to the led's soon
and from what i see here, 3 should do you well
but those more experienced will be better sources

chronosync

Yea the little chips get hot AF and could def set something on fire given a chance, bare "bulb" led will burn holes in your eyes. Especially with micro grows, I'm like IN that little tent and I come out seeing stars

ice-cream

no electricial issues as the voltage is very low.
but like cronosync has posted, temps might be an issue if anything touch the mounting plate

Hen

So I took off a couple of "globes" today and hooked the bulbs up to power. I don't know if it's my imagination, but after being on for about 5 minutes, the housing seemed much hotter than what they had with the globes on!

I would have thought they would end up running cooler as the heat could escape more easily. Has anyone else noticed this or is it somehow my imagination?

Chevy cHaze

Out Of Dankness Cometh Light
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks blynx,
This thread is tres chic! Just read through the whole thing and I'm very tempted to buy a box of Philips 13w 2700k and give it a try!Also thanks to Terp and the rest of the guys dialling this in!
BTW it stuck with me in my mind that the "no name" bulbs are usually quoted with less lumens per watt than let's say the Philips bulbs which are quoted at 1521 lumens in the 13w 2700k version...They're slightly more expensive, but I think I'd go with a name brand...

No name bulbs putting out less light at same wattage, is that something you guys have noticed and / or experienced in your runs ?

cheers
CC

So I took off a couple of "globes" today and hooked the bulbs up to power. I don't know if it's my imagination, but after being on for about 5 minutes, the housing seemed much hotter than what they had with the globes on!

I would have thought they would end up running cooler as the heat could escape more easily. Has anyone else noticed this or is it somehow my imagination?
you have magical lights :tiphat:

when i pulled mine apart i didnt almost burn myself when touching them by accident, i did before

Latest posts

Latest posts