What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Hen

Would anyone mind explaining how or pointing me in the direction of a good thread on how to build and wire socket fixtures like you guys have made? I've been able to find videos on YouTube of how to wire a single socket but none go in depth on how to safely wire multiple sockets into a single fixture.

I like this one...

[YOUTUBEIF]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2iMFPiltf0[/YOUTUBEIF]

mrplow

Wow! I've been reading this thread the last couple days. Impressive to day the least.

I've been checking my local hardware stores for some led bulbs. I went to wallyworld today and they had GE bright sticks,16W 2 pack for $22 CAD or a 3 pack of 10W for $13, both 5000k and 2850k.

I wonder how a sog DrBud style would do.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Costco has 10 packs of 14w LEDs for $30. Here's a picture of said 10 pack and a how to pop the lenses off step by step.

picture.php

Installed in a 7'H x 4'W x 2'D armoire:
picture.php

If you don't mind spending a couple extra bucks (this ones $13 at home depot) go get cheap bathroom vanity lighting fixtures, wire a plug to the end and you're ready to grow. No real wiring knowledge necessary.
f8addf2a-fbdc-4f58-8d01-df9899eb31fd_1000.jpg

doams

Costco has 10 packs of 14w LEDs for $30. Here's a picture of said 10 pack and a how to pop the lenses off step by step.

View Image

Installed in a 7'H x 4'W x 2'D armoire:
View Image

If you don't mind spending a couple extra bucks (this ones $13 at home depot) go get cheap bathroom vanity lighting fixtures, wire a plug to the end and you're ready to grow. No real wiring knowledge necessary.
View Image

I usually hit the bulb really! hard with a hammer after like 3-4 hits it just fells off
biggrin.gif

Will try the crewdriver method soon..
thx!

Dakine

Veteran

Lol I actually have multiple new fixtures. But there kinda from old stock. Just bought to many for renovations on A house.

Im planning on using 2 of these to use in a flowering chamber for males or to leave a male and female in, so they can do the dirty..

M

Mr. Sparkle

Nerp.... not even worth it.

I'd just use the bulb unless you have spares, worst possible thing would be the led would just fry and short out, but it wouldn't really do anything, and it could already be damaged, kinda have two situation, either the bulb is made in parallel and all the other chips will still run, just at a slightly higher amperage which they should be able to "11% higher if its all one circuit", or if its made in some full or partial series configuration then some to none of the other chips will work. But you wont know till you throw some power to it.

Or you didn't nick the internal section of the led, and it would run perfectly fine.

Dakine

Veteran
how would you do this? run a wire bypassing the broken diode?

Well think about running bulbs parallel with each other... if the middle bulb burns out Or fries, it won't effect the other bulbs and they will still work. But that is because each bulb is connected to the power source, and not wired/connected to the other bulbs..

If the diodes aren't parallel, That would mean they are wired in series.You basically wire the diodes/leds end to end. The negative end of the first diode is wired to the positive end of the 2nd diode.. You basically just keep airing them up like that .. If I remember correctly doing it this way distributes the power source evenly throughout how ever many your using...

But you also gotta think about the resistors.. say you have 4 Diodes in series, and you wanted to run 4 resistors, so 1 for each diode. For example let's say each resistor is 50ohm and you wire them in series with each other, now you have 1-200ohm resistor..
Wiring the resistors in parallel will distribute the amount of ohm of 1 resistor evenly through the amount of resistors there is... For example, 4-200ohm resistors wired in parallel, will be 200ohm divided by the 4-Resistors, which would turn out to be 4-50ohm resistors...

It can be seen and used as a safety precaution, just make sure to run the same ohm resistors , and what ever power supply your using can supply enough power to each diode..
^Please if I'm wrong let me know, I haven't dons this in so many years, I might've mixed them up or something haha!!

So when you think about the 2-ways of wiring.. You first need to find out how they are wired.. You have to do what Mr PufferFish said and run power to them.. If they work then it's gonna be parallel so every diode is basically wired to A power source...If they don't then they have to be wired directly to each other which would be in series..

I think this should explain how to wire it/bypass A bulb if it isn't working and you still want to run the other lights/diodes..

Please don't bring up certain xmas tree lights lol.. Idk what it is exactly but I think they use some kind of wire to bypass the current so it would be able run through each bulb even if the filament is burned/not connected even though they are wired in series.. Imagine how much wired there would be if it was wired in parallel lol...

well i do agree that if you need to ask, you shouldnt do it ;)

its soldering a wire from one lead of the diode to the other side, so you connect the power output to the power the led, to eatother, bypassing the broken led

but its few $ for a new bulb soooo

dboi87

I was less concerned with fixing it and more worried that maybe it's toxic. It seems like the soldered metal is still intact, it just the white border and orangish-yellow top layer of the diode that was scratched off.

The walmart over here sells 4 bulb packs for $4 so I can just toss it but any waste makes me squirmy lol