What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Hen

I recently got some 15W cobs for my chilies. Warm white and red. Damn cheap from AliExpress.
zGQS4QR

Virtually no heat, even at this distance.
yfKlwiF

98s4E8A

MdNewgrower

Ok, so you fuc..., er, um, guys/folks have really made my grow light decision making very hard. I would like to get the best yield that I can, but as efficiently as i can. So, here goes...

Starting with a usable space(DxW)of between 1.6 and 1.75sq* feet. Maybe 2.5 feet of height.*

My original thought had been to use 276ish+ watts of CFLS(12x23w, total of $28).* I had no expectations of 1GPW. .3gpw(maybe 3 oz total) would have been doing a lot. I originally planned on 4 up top, then 2 in each corner as side lighting. I forsaw a looootttt of light adjustment happening in my future.

Then I start really reading this thread.* OMG. A lot of different potential iterations for my grow. Now, I am thinking about 14 total 9w LEDs, with 12 being 2700k(at $.50 each), and 2 5000k(at $4 each for floods, which would be in the center of the array), for 126w total. All would be mounted aiming straight down, and be movable vertically, but I dont see the need anymore.

Thoughts?

TexMex McDirt

Ok, so you fuc..., er, um, guys/folks have really made my grow light decision making very hard. I would like to get the best yield that I can, but as efficiently as i can. So, here goes...

Starting with a usable space(DxW)of between 1.6 and 1.75sq* feet. Maybe 2.5 feet of height.*

My original thought had been to use 276ish+ watts of CFLS(12x23w, total of $28).* I had no expectations of 1GPW. .3gpw(maybe 3 oz total) would have been doing a lot. I originally planned on 4 up top, then 2 in each corner as side lighting. I forsaw a looootttt of light adjustment happening in my future.

Then I start really reading this thread.* OMG. A lot of different potential iterations for my grow. Now, I am thinking about 14 total 9w LEDs, with 12 being 2700k(at $.50 each), and 2 5000k(at $4 each for floods, which would be in the center of the array), for 126w total. All would be mounted aiming straight down, and be movable vertically, but I dont see the need anymore.

Thoughts?

I would definitely go with LED over CFL. I switched to COB LED in my flower cab and the results are way better. If I didn't go COB I would have gone screw in LED. I think most people are finding that 30-50 watts per square foot is pretty good with the screw ins. More than that seems be diminishing returns.

Good luck!

Hen

very cool - where did you get the little wire-keeper things for the socket wires??? I gotta get some of those.

would also appreciate a link to the COB's you got, thanks!!!

Got the white ones here
Got the red ones here

I don't actually know the nm frequency of the red ones, which was quite foolish of me.

As always, I doubt they are actually drawing 15W. There are about 14 on a cob so they must only be rated at about 1W each. This explains why the lumens drop suddenly as you pull the light meter away a few more inches. There are many, many led lights on AliExpress. I would recommend at least 3W leds in the cob ---now I know better.

The wire keeper things came with the sockets. They are very handy though. I've also screwed them (with a washer) to the cupboard ceiling in the past through that hole thing you can see at the end. You just adjust the hight as necessary then.

TheScrogFrog

Day 58 12/12 on the 108w screw-in LED tent:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Didn't quite fill it out as much as I had hoped, flipped a little bit early. Either way hoping to get around the same yield as I did with the 150w HPS. I'd be stoked with that.

Won't be long now on these.

MdNewgrower

that what i got as well 6.98 per 2
SYLVANIA Ultra 2-Pack 60W Equivalent Dimmable Soft White A19 LED Light Fixture Light Bulbs
$6.98
---
i just got a 10 pack of 9.5 w leds and i paid 19.68

Sorry guys/gals.... must be a regional thing.

No worries though. I am gonna pay $14 + for 6 5000k utilitech bulbs tomorrow.... gotta veg somewhere, right?:biggrin: