What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Off the shelf retail store screw-in LED and CFL bulb comparisons

Grats, i think you have the only LEGIT burple ebay light then

although burple lights might draw more attention... even when i open my veg box (actual veggies, chilis etc) i sure do close my curtains, because a light inside a box, closet, whatever is odd, no matter what

this might be the right spot for it:
what about custom containers, i just need half an inch to fit regular ones, so fuck me that wont fit, so what materials/trick would be good for diy micro pots, i rather go for something sturdy like wood or plastic, not cloth

ganjic

Trucking along 3 weeks into flower, a little stunted because cold weather but on track now.

picture.php

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Hey Terpene, actually I'm counting on my totes to look like "junk" so as to not get any eyes batted at them, any holes or modifications are all on one side so when it's against a wall with an outlet there'd be no way to tell that it's any thing other then a storage tote storing "junk" especially when placed amongst actually junk in a climate controlled garage or basement. Also if I have to move them it'll look like I'm just moving "junk".
I would really love to grow in cabinets instead but I want it to be as stealthy and portable as possible. Cabinets are definitely much nicer though I agree. I may do one or two very small cabinets though to mix things up.

brown_thumb

Regarding the LED lights I described in post #756. Still so far, so good. The tallest plant was situated where part of if was approximately 150mm from the nearest lamp but the fan would blow it to approximately 60mm from the lamp. The leaves nearest the lamp appear to be burnt. So I guess 150mm is the absolute closest these lights should be placed to plants. Is that in indicator of how bright and effective they are? I don't know but I hope so.

uffda

anyone have issues with leaves drooping and drying out under LEDs? my temps have been 70 (at night) to 84 with RH 40-60% but my plants are getting yellow/dry leaves. Just as a test I put some jade house plants in the box as well and the jades were getting the same symptoms (dried leaves)

It's been unusually warm lately so i brought the plants outside for about 8 hours and they perked up significantly, leaves rising and getting more green color back.

I keep moving the lights farther away, they're about 8-10 inches from the lights now. I started with 8 14w 5000k LED screw-ins and right now I'm only running two, without much improvement.

I've got 110 CFM axial fan with 9.1 mm static pressure blowing through my filter, there is blow back on it but you can feel air entering the passive intakes. I also added a small computer fan pointing at the plants yesterday.

I really can't seem to pinpoint the problem, and it's confused me even more that they sprung back so quickly being outside.

anyone have issues with leaves drooping and drying out under LEDs? my temps have been 70 (at night) to 84 with RH 40-60% but my plants are getting yellow/dry leaves. Just as a test I put some jade house plants in the box as well and the jades were getting the same symptoms (dried leaves)

It's been unusually warm lately so i brought the plants outside for about 8 hours and they perked up significantly, leaves rising and getting more green color back.

I keep moving the lights farther away, they're about 8-10 inches from the lights now. I started with 8 14w 5000k LED screw-ins and right now I'm only running two, without much improvement.

I've got 110 CFM axial fan with 9.1 mm static pressure blowing through my filter, there is blow back on it but you can feel air entering the passive intakes. I also added a small computer fan pointing at the plants yesterday.

I really can't seem to pinpoint the problem, and it's confused me even more that they sprung back so quickly being outside.
dont push tru filters, to begin with, pull instead

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Beautiful scrog job John Dough, really nice looking plant.

I can't wait to have buds to show but it'll be a while, this is where I'm at right now.

picture.php

Gnz

this might be the right spot for it:
what about custom containers, i just need half an inch to fit regular ones, so fuck me that wont fit, so what materials/trick would be good for diy micro pots, i rather go for something sturdy like wood or plastic, not cloth

I'd just spend a while looking at packaging with an open mind next time you get groceries. Do people still grow in plastic bags?

Short length of 4-8" PVC pipe with an end cap?

I hand-laid some small carbon fibre parts recently, that or fibreglass could work but full of chemicals.. plus a massive waste of time and $$$ for pots.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Very very cool sadida. Have you run hso blue dream or any other strains by them before? I just put a popped hso green crack seed in a cup. If it's anything like their description I'll be really happy.

sadida

Very very cool sadida. Have you run hso blue dream or any other strains by them before? I just put a popped hso green crack seed in a cup. If it's anything like their description I'll be really happy.

:tiphat: scrogmonster
yes in may-june i grew 3 chemdawg (regular)
smell and taste was not great
high was good

i read a lot of green crack report (hso), It should be a good strains

cheers

Dakine

Veteran
Hey Blynx, this is a little off topic but I was wondering if you could give me some advice?

I really like the way you grow your plants as like small bushes. These 2 plants I have are getting a little to tall in veg and I wanted to shorten them/make them into a bush.

I've crushed there stems a few times to try and promote lower growth but it still doesn't seem to stop them. You can see in the pic that I just crushed a couple of them at the very tops..

I can't train them because they seem to just start tearing when I barely start to even bend the branches. The one on the left starts to tear where I topped her down at the bottom where she goes from 1-main branch to 2. The girl on the right starts to tear/break where it turns from 1-main branch to 3 branches..

So any advice on what I should do? Should I be crushing the stems a lot lower then where I currently am crushing them at the top? Any help would be appreciated, I just think I have a lot of lower space that should be used instead of letting her grow tall..

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 32

Gnz

So any advice on what I should do? Should I be crushing the stems a lot lower then where I currently am crushing them at the top? Any help would be appreciated, I just think I have a lot of lower space that should be used instead of letting her grow tall..

Thanks everyone!

There's some great information about training and a step by step diagram on how to LST like this here: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=115377

The idea with using all the space and growing the plant horizontally is you get more of the plants mass into the "sweet spot" of light, so drop your lights or lift your plants once you've got them on their sides.

Crush them near the bottom, hard (pliers wrapped in duct tape work well), then tie the tops down so they're below the bend for at least a week or two.

Since your plants are already quite large, you might have more success crushing them two or three times 3-4" apart and bending gradually to avoid snapping the stem.

I crushed and bent this one twice in late veg and it worked really well, I left about a week between bends.

attachment.php

blynx

WALSTIB
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey Blynx, this is a little off topic but I was wondering if you could give me some advice?

I really like the way you grow your plants as like small bushes. These 2 plants I have are getting a little to tall in veg and I wanted to shorten them/make them into a bush.

I've crushed there stems a few times to try and promote lower growth but it still doesn't seem to stop them. You can see in the pic that I just crushed a couple of them at the very tops..

I can't train them because they seem to just start tearing when I barely start to even bend the branches. The one on the left starts to tear where I topped her down at the bottom where she goes from 1-main branch to 2. The girl on the right starts to tear/break where it turns from 1-main branch to 3 branches..

Thanks everyone!

I've found there are a couple types of stems.

Some crush and bend nicely. You crush the stem, bend the top horizontal and it stays there and usually straighten up fairly quick. With this type I re-crush and/or re-bend the tops a couple hours later or maybe the next day.

Some stems don't like to bend, they just snap. These need to be crushed fairly hard, but the problem is they pretty much hang down after you do this. For this type of stem, I usually crush it and use another branch/stem/leaf to help hold it horizontal until it can mend itself.

A lot of the times I bend/crush stems, I re-visit them later in the day or the next day to do more training, re-bend/crush.

You can bend the tops where you did it and/or down lower. All depends on what the plant looks like and what the space is like that it is growing in.

I bend the stems while the plant veg's and during the first couple weeks of flowering (until the stretch stops).

Occasionally I will bend a top late in flower, but that's more for moving a top away from the light that might have slowly over time grown too close.

Last edited:

Dakine

Veteran
GNZ- So Basically instead of just trying to train the branches, Since they rip/break where I topped them. I should bend/crush the stems above that spot and then Tie them down?

Blynx- These stems crush really well. Its just that the way they grew from 1 branch-multiple branches was very weird lol. Damn I didnt know that you only bent in flower. I swear I read your whole thread haha. So should I tie them down after I crush the stems?

Im gonna try to crush the stems lower then I currently am, but above the areas that I topped . So it wont do any harm If I crush multiple different spots at one time?

Thanks for chiming in and giving some advice you guys.. I never really did this method before. I always only topped and trained branches.. Before I thought the only reason to crush a stem was so it heal itself and make a stronger notch to hold branches up.. haha well was I wrong..

Dakine

Veteran
1st plant that I topped with 2 main branches now. You can see where I crushed the left branch yesterday right before the newest growth..

This is where I topped her.

This is the girl with 3 main branches from an attempted fim method lol. I crushed the far left and middle branches right before newest growth.

this is where I topped her

Latest posts

Latest posts