What's new

MotherLode Gardens 2015

milkyjoe

Veteran
Nicely, nicely bro

Edit...what I like is that you don't need any special root ball watering. Obviously your roots took right off and are giving your plants water/nutrients. I would way rather my plants be on the small side going into the final pots. You are going to have a great yr

Polygon

Are you gonna have a mulch/straw layer on the top?

A layer of straw on the top of the pots/mounds could really help with water retention and keep the top layer of the soil from going dead from wet/dry spells.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Nicely, nicely bro

Edit...what I like is that you don't need any special root ball watering. Obviously your roots took right off and are giving your plants water/nutrients. I would way rather my plants be on the small side going into the final pots. You are going to have a great yr
thanks and i agree.

Nice! They are taking off!
hell yah im pretty happy with the garden right now. thanks for sticking around, it will be a good show!

Are you gonna have a mulch/straw layer on the top?
i dont think so. that would be a lot of hill work, with a wheelbarrow and a shovel. i am trying to get past that phase. plus once the plants get big enough they shade their own pot, also i like being able to topdress if i want.

I think the pumice in the soil helps it retain moisture (or maybe it's the peat moss idk)

Calidude

Nicely, nicely bro

What do you mean by root ball watering?

TheSilverMullet

Veteran
What do you mean by root ball watering?

When you have big plants all rooted out in small pots and you plug them into their final spot they will tend to just drink water from the center root ball for a while and if you're not on top of it they can easily get dried out which can cause all sorts of problems.

I've always had better luck plugging in plants that are on the smaller side and not bound up as it seems like the roots just go right into the new dirt and you don't have that core "lock out" effect.

milkyjoe

Veteran
That is exactly what I mean. It is a high stress thing that will hold a big transplant up while the smaller transplant passes it by

Nice dude those look like they are diggin in and lovin the warmer weather finally. Saw you had budgeted 3500 for your drip system why so much? I just set up 3000' and hardlined everything to it. Think it was about 1500. I have a pump already tho

Calidude

When you have big plants all rooted out in small pots and you plug them into their final spot they will tend to just drink water from the center root ball for a while and if you're not on top of it they can easily get dried out which can cause all sorts of problems.

I've always had better luck plugging in plants that are on the smaller side and not bound up as it seems like the roots just go right into the new dirt and you don't have that core "lock out" effect.

Sweet it makes sense.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Nice dude those look like they are diggin in and lovin the warmer weather finally. Saw you had budgeted 3500 for your drip system why so much? I just set up 3000' and hardlined everything to it. Think it was about 1500. I have a pump already tho
drip line -1200
pump- 800
water tank - 1500

those are all rough numbers though, and i could save $ if i use an above-ground pool instead of a water tank, but i would rather spend the xtra and have a nice setup

That HF set up looks legit! I bought a Honda WX15 a couple years back for like 600 bucks and love that thing. It's surprisingly strong and super little so I find I end up using it for other projects on the property. I just plumbed it to a 2800 gal and valved it out so I can fill it from my well/mix itself with the Honda/ hardline out to all my drip lines or use 3 hose bibs for so I can hand water teas or anything else I don't want to pass through the emitters. I can evenly dump that full tank in about an hour

Urbngroz

You could get a Wayne 3/4 HP sprinkler pump to take care of the whole garden at once. They are reliable and about $200 anywhere online. Depending on how many pots are on each zone you may need a pressure reducer to keep the pump from blowing out your drip fittings. As for the irrigation supplies you should go to an irrigation store. You can get Netafim parts for less than the junk at H depot. They will most likely give you contractors pricing if you come in with a list of what you want, if you come in without a clue they will still work with you but charge you retail for their time designing your set up.

Here it is

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 15
That is sweet! I need to build something like this. Right now I just have a flat bottom sump pump in the tank and I lose a lot of velocity from the 9' rise.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Forget the $800 pump. I've had my share of issues with Harbor Freight but my $70 inline pump is still kicking ass. 1000' of drip line (maybe 500') shouldn't be tha much but I'm assuming you're figuring in running solid lines and fittings and such. Still, I'd estimate you could easily get it done for under $1k without tank, probably $1k with pool, even. If I remember correctly a 500' roll was about $200 shipped.

Nice thing about the above-ground pool in your situation is that you could go for a quick swim before watering.

You saw my "IBC tote from hell" last season, right?

View Image

Found sprayer pics BTW:

View Image

Harbor Frizzle setup:

View Image
That tank setup looks complicated, no way i could make that

I was thinkin 100+ft of tubing per pot, i think thats what epic is doing and it looks legit. I still need to get all the drip /water supplies so im tryin to figure it out. Spent 10 hours watering last night. Fun .

Latest posts

Latest posts