What's new

MotherLode Gardens 2015

milkyjoe

Veteran
almost halfway done filling the first pot. only 9.5 left

i'll try a couple other places tomorrow so we'll see how this unfolds

If you do get one and it is your first time operating it...and not implying anything negative...when you go up and down hill go straight up and down and keep the bucket on the downhill side. I.e...if you are going uphill...go backwards.

Do use the seat belt and if you go over keep your hands in the cage. It may be exciting but you will be fine

You will actually have fun running it. Pretty much just like a lawnmower

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Do I have to pay double if I'm ugly? :'(

no but you have to bring a hot friend

anyway you're too late, i already ate all the salad and almost done with the steak and potatoes. its about to be beer time, and maybe a couple dabs before bed

HillBilly1

Veteran
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

Shcrews, I had this post typed up 10 minutes ago and scrapped it. But based on the new posts since then, I think it's fair to share. :)

It's awesome that you've got knowledgable, successful people here who want to see you be the same!

There's also a contingent here watching, I'm sure, that sees the opportunity you have (space/land/state) and wonders, Why half-ass it?

I can't be the only guy following who's not entirely shocked that you're still not able to pick up the skid-steer on Monday despite the last post that said it wasn't available until Monday.

I'll skip the parts that've been beaten to death (greenhouse, irrigation, plant stock, etc), .. But at the very least, my man, you HAVE to work smarter!

I don't bother to go rent a power washer for my fence and driveway without calling to a) make sure it's available and b) make a reservation and a deposit (of actual us currency cash dollars legal tender) if it's not.

What you're describing, beyond just the skid steer (irrigation/greenhouse/plant stock) are the absolute TOOLS for your JOB. The JOB that pays your bills and affords your lifestyle (or not) for the lion's share of a year!

As the say, fortune favors the prepared. :dunno:

It's appreciable, the artsy and expression view, but the truth is, all of that aside, it seems like your life at least sort of depends on this.

But it's like your attitude/preparedness doesn't seem to jive with the reality. :dunno:

Wish I could help, I'd be there digging holes myself.

Like everyone's already said, you've shown you're capable, .. Capability is one thing, prepared is another :dunno:

Anyway - Loving watching, loving learning, hoping the best for you!
Just thought the 7 Ps was funny

Dawg3447

I am trying to make some 300 g pots out of my 150s do you know or know where I can find how long I need to cut my fabric I was going to sew 2 150s together but I realized I it would be closer to 500 and I don't have enough nuts for that I rocked goji last year and had a 5er in the 150s
These DIY pots are half the cost of smarties. I love them, they are gopher-proof and last literally forever. Made of hardware cloth and bailing wire. Lined with replaceable landscape fabric. Really simple. They take about 20-30 minutes each to make.

here is a crappy tutorial i did for 200gal DIY smarties.

To make 400 gallon DIY smarties they need to be 6' diameter x 2ft deep:

Basically buy a bunch of 4-foot rolls of hardware cloth, 1/4" or 1/8" mesh either one is fine. To make the sides of the pot, get some tin snips and cut the roll in half lengthwise, into 2-foot wide strips. for the bottoms just use bailing wire to stitch together a 6x6 foot square of hardware cloth, then attach the side to the bottom using bailing wire.

thats how we made our 400's and 800's last year. saved almost $1000 plus the DIY pots are far better

O

Oakhills

Don't worry I saved 5 ancient og males and I plan on pollinating 2 aog females. Preserving the line.

I'd gladly trade you some seeds for next season for some Ancients... I'm making a few different crosses this season - skylotus x blue dream, pink panther x g13hp (preserve line), ancient OG x ssh, afghan/skunk x blue dream, etc.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
ahhh dealing with the rental places, one of the fun parts of growing. at least they havent asked you to get property liability insurance…the BS I've had to deal with renting equipment is insane. having to pull a 1mil property insurance policy in a town where most of the insurance agents dont know what the fuck you are talking about, having to max out 2-3 credit cards at once to reserve equipment. its like a way more expensive rental car, say your weekly rate is 1k, well their gonna charge another 1k on top of rental for deposit, just the way it works.

usually skid steer are the easiest and dont need property insurance. once you get into the Dozers its another story.

there is ALWAYS a mad rush at the rental spots for bobcats and skid steers from march-may. i have two main places i use often and always make sure to call in advance. then i got another 2-3 backup spots just in case but usually my main spots take care of me, even deliver to my door if my 2500hd can't tow it.

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
one thing i dont understand is why you guys rent equipment when use need it annually. is it not more beneficial to have your own skid steer or a mini digger with a small dumper?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
one thing i dont understand is why you guys rent equipment when use need it annually. is it not more beneficial to have your own skid steer or a mini digger with a small dumper?

I was askin the same question to a buddy who owns a paving company. He leases and rents lots of equipment. After a through debate, I walked away with this. A rental can be used and abused, and if it breaks or whatever, it's no your POS to fix. Still didn't make much sense to me. But to each their own.

Arminius

"I'm not a pezzamist, I am an optometrist"
Veteran
The saying "If it flys, floats, or fucks, rent it, don't buy it", could apply to something you only use a couple weeks out of the year.

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
ye fair enough but a small amount of maintenance is all these machines need.

having things on hand speeds up the process. i have a background in fixing machines so its easy for me to say. if shrews cant put up a hoop house then maybe keep renting.

really enjoying this thread :)

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
It just doesn't make sense to have that kind of money tied up I. Something you use for literally maybe a week or two per year ... If you have big acreage a small backhoe is nice to make chores easier though. I sold my skid steer a while ago and it was a great choice. Been looking for the right Kubota l39 for a while

HillBilly1

Veteran
I had a old hoe here for a bit, let it go when I was able
To work and had 4 teenage boys lol now 1 teenager and
No hoe lol just the boss lol now I always think about
getting a new one of some sort. Need the front loader
For sure and a hoe on the other end would be great
But will take a 46 ford for all I care

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
we looked into buying skid steers and bobcats and they are just very damn expensive, even a decent used one can run over 30k and thats not including all the maintenance and shit.

and sometimes you need more than just a skid steer like a d3 or a d5 and those cost twice as much.

my buddy bought a backhoe and gets some good use out of it though.