What's new

MotherLode Gardens 2015

bobblehead

Veteran
It helps to make a reservation and leave a deposit for them to hold on to things like that... otherwise how would they know not to rent it out to someone else?

grow nerd

Veteran
Are you working by yourself this season?

I have to mix and fill 555 bags by myself tomorrow.

I tried a standard wheel barrow, it wasn't very useful in the terrain I have. So looks like I'm carrying 2 1.5cuft bags at a time, about 278 times back and forth from the pile.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
It helps to make a reservation and leave a deposit for them to hold on to things like that... otherwise how would they know not to rent it out to someone else?

i called them last week, they said it was available. then i went in on friday and it was already rented for the weekend, so i gave them my name and number, they told me monday. Isnt that a reservation?

i guess there was a waiting list but they didn't tell me and never asked for deposit. the guy sounded all pissed off on the phone today too.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
No it isn't. usually rental equipment like that requires some kind of agreement, like when you rent a car. giving them your name and number...is like depending on them to rent it to you when people walk in to rent it from them with what matters...cash.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Are you working by yourself this season?

I have to mix and fill 555 bags by myself tomorrow.

I tried a standard wheel barrow, it wasn't very useful in the terrain I have. So looks like I'm carrying 2 1.5cuft bags at a time, about 278 times back and forth from the pile.
yah im alone out here. sounds like you will have a rough day tomorrow. at least when you're done you can smoke a joint and grill some steaks. thats what im about to do. hard boring work makes you appreciate stuff

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss-Poor Performance

Shcrews, I had this post typed up 10 minutes ago and scrapped it. But based on the new posts since then, I think it's fair to share. :)

It's awesome that you've got knowledgable, successful people here who want to see you be the same!

There's also a contingent here watching, I'm sure, that sees the opportunity you have (space/land/state) and wonders, Why half-ass it?

I can't be the only guy following who's not entirely shocked that you're still not able to pick up the skid-steer on Monday despite the last post that said it wasn't available until Monday.

I'll skip the parts that've been beaten to death (greenhouse, irrigation, plant stock, etc), .. But at the very least, my man, you HAVE to work smarter!

I don't bother to go rent a power washer for my fence and driveway without calling to a) make sure it's available and b) make a reservation and a deposit (of actual us currency cash dollars legal tender) if it's not.

What you're describing, beyond just the skid steer (irrigation/greenhouse/plant stock) are the absolute TOOLS for your JOB. The JOB that pays your bills and affords your lifestyle (or not) for the lion's share of a year!

As the say, fortune favors the prepared. :dunno:

It's appreciable, the artsy and expression view, but the truth is, all of that aside, it seems like your life at least sort of depends on this.

But it's like your attitude/preparedness doesn't seem to jive with the reality. :dunno:

Wish I could help, I'd be there digging holes myself.

Like everyone's already said, you've shown you're capable, .. Capability is one thing, prepared is another :dunno:

Anyway - Loving watching, loving learning, hoping the best for you!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
No it isn't. usually rental equipment like that requires some kind of agreement, like when you rent a car. giving them your name and number...is like depending on them to rent it to you when people walk in to rent it from them with what matters...cash.
so i fucked up then by not offering to pay the rental in advance? I went in and talked to them, one would think that if a deposit for reservation were required/desired they would have mentioned it. At least that's how i would run my business if i didn't want confused customers.

i think they already had a waiting list but just didn't tell me...

I don't bother to go rent a power washer for my fence and driveway without calling to a) make sure it's available and b) make a reservation and a deposit if it's not.

What you're describing, beyond just the skid steer (irrigation/greenhouse/plant stock) are the absolute TOOLS for your JOB. The JOB that pays your bills and affords your lifestyle (or not) for the lion's share of a year!

As the say, fortune favors the prepared. :dunno:
I'll say it again, it may be an assumption but based on what the guy said there were already other customers in line for the skid steer so there is nothing i could have done. not sure what you guys are suggesting i should have done anyway other than waving cash in the guys face and this isn't that kind of town. They took my info and number and told me the skid steer would be back on monday, what they forgot to mention was that somebody else already had it booked for then. They still had my name 3rd on the list when i called in today.

i dont see how i failed to prepare. not my fault if the only equipment rental spot in this county only has one skid steer. Even if i offered them a deposit when they didn't ask, i still would have to wait my stupid turn.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
So ya fired everyone and said "all mine" huh?
Why would you assume that? seriously?

the other partners bowed out due to the remote location of this spot, and the new plant limits. I even asked them for help this year but no luck.

milkyjoe

Veteran
For what you are doing...plain ol bobcat works fine. Equipment rental in your area code. Dont give up. And yea...lock it in means credit card or deposit. They run a business...they ain't doing favors for broke ass buddies

bobblehead

Veteran
I've rented many things, from trucks to tools. I've always signed a rental agreement, left a deposit and credit card number in case of damages, all prior to picking up the rental. Customer service isn't necessarily the best at these places, but they also don't get paid much. It's not exactly skilled labor.

I guess you'll know for next time...

grow nerd

Veteran
Why would you assume that? seriously?

the other partners bowed out due to the remote location of this spot, and the new plant limits. I even asked them for help this year but no luck.

I was just kidding, please don't beat me up. :'(

silver hawaiian

Veteran
It's standard procedure when you want to rent a tool (power washer, post puller, heavy machinery) to put a deposit down.

I guess it's a question of, do I want to rent this wet saw so I can do my backsplash this weekend, or do I need this backhoe to dig the holes or move the dirt for the plants that pay for me to exist on this planet [at varying levels of comfort] for another year.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
It's standard procedure when you want to rent a tool (power washer, post puller, heavy machinery) to put a deposit down.

If I want to rent a car i dont need to put advance deposit to reserve it.
i go to dinner i dont need to put a deposit to reserve a table.

besides if they require it, then isn't a deposit something the equipment-rental place should have mentioned when i went in there looking to rent equipment?

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
No they don't expect you to pay in full but at least put a % on it so they know you're serious. That's how every rental yard I've worked with has got down ... Don't get snappy buddy are you hungry and tired and posting ? Not a good combo

silver hawaiian

Veteran
i think most places that rent anything make you leave a deposit. but although i have heard of it, it is not standard practice to make people leave a deposit just for a reservation. If I want to rent a car i dont need to put advance deposit to reserve it.
i go to dinner i dont need to put a deposit to reserve a table.

besides isn't that something the equipment-rental place should have mentioned?

So you're waiting for the rental place to call you to tell you that you're next on the list, can you come make a deposit?

Why wouldn't they just come tell you to pick it up?!

Maybe they shoud've mentioned it, but they're not the ones who need the backhoe to grow the plants to pay for them to exist et cetera

In other words, whose loss is it?! Definitely not theirs, they've clearly got a waiting list..

You, in the meantime, are waiting..

Edit: Let me articulate this in a more constructive way.

After not being able to rent the machine last week, and being told it's not free until Monday, .. And then finding out that it's not, and telling us that you didn't make a deposit..

..and multiple people ask why you didn't make a deposit.

Your attitude remains "Why should I have to make a deposit?! They should have told me!"

You're not making life easier on yourself, my friend.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
In other words, whose loss is it?! Definitely not theirs, they've clearly got a waiting list..

You, in the meantime, are waiting..
you're definitely right, i am the one who got fucked not the rental place.

but just for peace of mind Im gonna go to the spot tomorrow and see if they take deposits in advance for renting skid steers. if not, then there was really nothin i could do.

No they don't expect you to pay in full but at least put a % on it so they know you're serious.
then why didnt they say that? or am i just supposed to know these things. Most businesses would say something like "if you want to reserve that you need to put a deposit down". typical for me i guess

yah i havent eaten all day. barbecue time . peace