What's new

MotherLode Gardens 2015

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
reminds me i need to turn off my supplemental lights and flower my seeds :)
better do that then. you have a lot of seed plants yah.

I'm ready to start making 800gal pots but every store near me is sold out of 48" rolls of hardware cloth so i have to either drive far, or use something else. def dont want to spend the money on official smartpots, plus they arent as good anyway

or i guess, if i have too, I can use 36" rolls and cut off the extra foot and then tie everything together.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Just make mounds , you don't need smart pots

its tempting but idk man. i have a crazy amount of gophers up here, my hill looks like swiss cheese. do you think just putting hardware cloth underneath the mounds is enough? they would probably just dig into the mounds. the pots made of hardware cloth help a lot, ive never seen a rodent make it through.

plus if i handwater then mounds would erode, no?

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
its tempting but idk man. i have a crazy amount of gophers up here, my hill looks like swiss cheese. do you think just putting hardware cloth underneath the mounds is enough? they would probably just dig into the mounds. the pots made of hardware cloth help a lot, ive never seen a rodent make it through.

plus if i handwater then mounds would erode, no?

Hopefully your roots would hold the soil together , DO NOT hand water if you want to grow big consistent trees and are doing it with little to no help ... Spend your time pruning and supporting your plants

IGROWMYOWN

Veteran
better do that then. you have a lot of seed plants yah.

I'm ready to start making 800gal pots but every store near me is sold out of 48" rolls of hardware cloth so i have to either drive far, or use something else. def dont want to spend the money on official smartpots, plus they arent as good anyway

or i guess, if i have too, I can use 36" rolls and cut off the extra foot and then tie everything together.
ebay has free shipping on hardware cloth not really though because prices aren't great but not too bad in case you have to drive far with these gas prices it should be close.

gopher cages

gopher cages

make wire baskets out of hardware cloth to keep gophers out. much easier and cheaper and 3 ft wire is what you need to make them. Cut 6 or 7 feet and wrap it in a cylinder, cut the bottom a foot or so up in a few places, fold them in on themselves and bury it in a mound.

redlaser

Veteran
If you're by a Home Depot or similar you can order hardware cloth online and have it delivered to you or the store. A hardware cloth pot half sunk in the ground would be ideal it seems.

grow nerd

Veteran
Baskets? Who's giving out baskets?

Gourmet_Food_Gift_Baskets_Are_Perfect_For_You1.jpg

Shcrews! Think it's all about the mounds. I've been running big smartpot cloth beds on top of pallets because I was worried about drainage (I'm on straight clay) and gophers/voles. I've done decent 6-7lb average but haven't broken threat 10+ mark. Everyone I know who does big mounds crushes and after creepin BYF's insta it kind of sealed the deal for me. My garden is all demo'd and I'm laying out 8'x80' rows of gopher wire right on top of the ground tomorrow and using my old dirt and then like 6" of new mix from the earthworm factory in Chico and running a buttload of those emitter lines which are so easy. (Last year it would take two workers more half the day to water and we always seemed to be behind on leafing/staking) Super pumped to see how big I can get these girls with their roots zone not being constricted and having them much more spaced out

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
We had a few plants over 10 lb last year in 400's and 800's

For 10 lber all you need is all-day intense sunlight, lots of good soil and water, and the right genetics

Im still not convinced the gophers here wouldnt turn dirt mounds into swiss cheese

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
We had a few plants over 10 lb last year in 400's and 800's

For 10 lber all you need is all-day intense sunlight, lots of good soil and water, and the right genetics

Im still not convinced the gophers here wouldnt turn dirt mounds into swiss cheese

Bro you grew 2 out of 24 that hit 10 plus, why are you opposed maxing your potential

Also with the slow even watering of drip line and consistent moisture levels and healthy plants I've never had a gopher take one out

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Bro you grew 2 out of 24 that hit 10 plus, why are you opposed maxing your potential

we had 4 that hit 10 lb, 3 different strains. one was almost 13lb. with a late start, on a north-facing slope. There were a few others that would have been close if not for freak accidents like a tree falling on a plant

def not opposed to maxing.\

10lb ancient
GGTRjBr.jpg

10lb Solo's Stash
ZrKIBcD.jpg

12lb ancient
h1Umg1B.jpg

10lb uncirculated OG x PSA
2yKLXFn.jpg

milkyjoe

Veteran
Just a thought...your grow obviously. Try a single mound and put some emitter hose on it. Just hook the hose to it and time it. A low risk way to see for yourself.

Edit...nice place. One day I would work on companion plants in the space in between. Rejuvenate that soil if it is possible...obviously not a top priority, but one day