What's new

MotherLode Gardens 2015

C

CheifnBud2

Depends on the seeds. are they f1? f2? f3? s1? bx1? bx2? so on so forth... Start a lot of the same strain and find similar attributes and keep those plants if you are going for uniformity.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
How consistant are seeds? Lets say I run 24 of the same seed...would the buyer recognize a brand? Or maybe the better question at what generation can they be that stable

Don't think its necessarily what generation but what combination of parents...You can have stability and relative uniformity in one cross with carefully paired parents. You can also do one cross and come up with progeny that has a wide array of phenotypes. It's all about testing parents for their crossing value.

grow nerd

Veteran
The key with a dispensary being like "Can you promise is 500 units" is replying with "Are you going to 1. Prepay them and 2. can you guarantee your door will still be open in the Fall?" Watch how many of them switch up their tune.

When it comes time to negotiate consignment deals, every dispensary will tell you the greatest, biggest, most enthusiastic "yes" to all questions (except "will you prepay?").

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
When it comes time to negotiate consignment deals, every dispensary will tell you the greatest, biggest, most enthusiastic "yes" to all questions (except "will you prepay?").

EXACTLY Why you should throw that question at them after all those Yes answers!!

Turns all the previous Yes in to No real quick.

MountZionCollec

BYF

You replied to my post. I replied to your post. Seems normal. On the point about replying to schrews question I apologize if people feel I was swinging my dick around, I wasnt trying too, even tho BYF was speaking to schrews he was saying people would only know him as the small lot guy by growing from variety from seeds..exactly what I say I do just a couple posts before him saying that, which I took as a passive aggressive comment towards me, if that's not the case I also apologize to you BYF. I was simply trying to communicate and show u can run a successful and professional operation running the right seeds.

BYF: you are obviously intelligent and the fact that u offer advice to people means you must care in some way, so why is every single post you make tinged with aggression, harshness, sarcasm or arrogance? I'm sure that's not the message you are trying to communicate but from seeing your name and old names all over this thread it's the message u get across...can't we just calm it down a little bit?

Also I grow 99, not 40.

Milky: on the can the dispensaries tell a difference between phenos it depends on the strains your growing which obviously takes a lot of experimentation and risk to find ones that "majoritively" meet your expectations.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Is there a commercial seed company anyone would trust their brand to? I would not at this point but I don't know them all either.

MountZionCollec

just as much as I trust genetics from anybody else, and they don't bring pests. I really like it because it's much easier for me to ensure a stress free environment if I only have to baby them for 7 months instead of 12. I grow out 3 times the amount of seeds I need and choose the healthiest looking ladies. With how much experimentation I am doing I have ended up with just around 99 beautiful vibrant girls this year. Some more vigorous then others, but that is why I use a range of pot sizes (25-600s, 18- 300s, 28-200s, 28-100s) which makes me much more open to experimentation, if I had ALL 600 gallons their is NO way I would take some of them risks...but in a 100 as long as a plant is healthy and grows decent and nugs out decent it's going to pull 3+ at my location, either way it makes the year that much more exciting. If I was doing all 8by8 in the ground like BYF I would not do it how I'm doing it.

Calidude

just as much as I trust genetics from anybody else, and they don't bring pests. I really like it because it's much easier for me to ensure a stress free environment if I only have to baby them for 7 months instead of 12. I grow out 3 times the amount of seeds I need and choose the healthiest looking ladies. With how much experimentation I am doing I have ended up with just around 99 beautiful vibrant girls this year. Some more vigorous then others, but that is why I use a range of pot sizes (25-600s, 18- 300s, 28-200s, 28-100s) which makes me much more open to experimentation, if I had ALL 600 gallons their is NO way I would take some of them risks...but in a 100 as long as a plant is healthy and grows decent and nugs out decent it's going to pull 3+ at my location, either way it makes the year that much more exciting. If I was doing all 8by8 in the ground like BYF I would not do it how I'm doing it.

It's good to have another experienced contributor on here. Mind sharing photos with us ?

milkyjoe

Veteran
MZ...you ever get rootbound in the smaller pots. Do they finish before they are totally mature when that happens?

April through Oct with seed?

MountZionCollec

Calidude I still haven't learned how to post pictures on here but I have some pics in my albums. 2014 I didn't have any 600s, just 100-300, I also have added some pictures of some of the plants I'm growing this year in my 2015 album. I'll be adding to it as the year goes on

Milky: what do u mean do they finish before they fully mature? I didn't notice a big difference honestly, but it's hard to 100% compare because each seed is an individual, usually all phenos will pretty much finish up around the same time. I harvest incrementally (tops, middles, smalls).

Root bound: I try to take care to place plants in pots according to their vigorousness that that really isn't much of a problem. They will def fill that shit up and will need watering each day of about 3.5% water to volume of soil.

April-October does work nice, I started mine April 10, I germinate in soil using the technique in tom hills germination thread. I start in 1 liter air pots for 12 days ensuring no stress of any kind. Then I transplant into 5 gallon air pots where they will stay until HOPEFULLY late May, I don't like risking snow at my elevation.

MountZionCollec

Calidude I still haven't learned how to post pictures on here but I have some pics in my albums. 2014 I didn't have any 600s, just 100-300, I also have added some pictures of some of the plants I'm growing this year in my 2015 album. I'll be adding to it as the year goes on

Milky: what do u mean do they finish before they fully mature? I didn't notice a big difference honestly, but it's hard to 100% compare because each seed is an individual, usually all phenos will pretty much finish up around the same time. I harvest incrementally (tops, middles, smalls).

Root bound: I try to take care to place plants in pots according to their vigorousness that that really isn't much of a problem. They will def fill that shit up and will need watering each day of about 3.5% water to volume of soil.

April-October does work nice, I started mine April 10, I germinate in soil using the technique in tom hills germination thread. I start in 1 liter air pots for 12 days ensuring no stress of any kind. Then I transplant into 5 gallon air pots where they will stay until HOPEFULLY late May, I don't like risking snow at my elevation.

Backyard Farmer

Veteran
Is there a commercial seed company anyone would trust their brand to? I would not at this point but I don't know them all either.

What if one turned their private seeds in to a public brand and used those?

Just finished transplanting the last of my DOG clone plants in to 7s .. Doing DOG clones and DOG x chemdog from seed full term and SFV og x Chemdog from seed in blackout

wow mount Zion that's barely any water usage... In peak im using 75-100 gal per day per plant

bobblehead

Veteran
not going to have time to test this and adjust it, but this mix seems like it should work

I'm missing the time consuming part of throwing some soil in a ziplock, filling in a few boxes on a piece of paper, and dropping it off at the post office. The part about going to the post office was the most time consuming for me. 1 extra unit would pay for at least 12 tests.

Do the test! Find out what you're low on, and supplement with foliar sprays. These plants are going to be around until October, right? 5 months to go sounds like plenty of time to me.

Here's the link to the chain of custody form. Mailing address to the corporate lab is at the bottom.
http://www.fglinc.com/documents/FGL_COC-Ag-20141218.pdf

MountZionCollec

Once a week I give a heavy watering (7-8 %) and occasionally Some 5-6% but 3.5% large majority of the time (My pots are on a hill so pots aren't totally filled with soil so what is my 3.5% May be another's 4% if it is filled to the brim.

Yes which is why you scare me away from going in the ground!

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
I'm missing the time consuming part of throwing some soil in a ziplock, filling in a few boxes on a piece of paper, and dropping it off at the post office. The part about going to the post office was the most time consuming for me. 1 extra unit would pay for at least 12 tests.

Do the test! Find out what you're low on, and supplement with foliar sprays. These plants are going to be around until October, right? 5 months to go sounds like plenty of time to me.

Here's the link to the chain of custody form. Mailing address to the corporate lab is at the bottom.
http://www.fglinc.com/documents/FGL_COC-Ag-20141218.pdf
Haha thanks man. Didnt mean to sound lazy just dont think the new dirt will arrive soon enough for me to get it mailed in before planting time. I can get analysis done after that but wont be able to amend , just topdress.

I am taking samples of our old dirt today for FGL

milkyjoe

Veteran
Do the new dirt to. I will bet you high K which limits Ca and Mg uptake. Knowing that for sure lets you confidently foliar.

Good microbe activity will transmute things and next yr will be a better story. Seent it happen meownself

milkyjoe

Veteran
What if one turned their private seeds in to a public brand and used those?

Just finished transplanting the last of my DOG clone plants in to 7s .. Doing DOG clones and DOG x chemdog from seed full term and SFV og x Chemdog from seed in blackout

wow mount Zion that's barely any water usage... In peak im using 75-100 gal per day per plant

Send some to me and I will give you an opinion:tiphat:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
You're living in the middle of the sticks and hating it, because it's fun?
Im not hating it this week, those girls came out to visit for a few days and wer having fun.

good point though.. but i still dont think growing dif varieties will hurt the yield very much. i'm picking the best females out of 100+ plants. ANd since the Ancient OG did help my average last year, i'm going to run a few of them even though i want to try new things.
Do the new dirt to. I will bet you high K which limits Ca and Mg uptake. Knowing that for sure lets you confidently foliar.
ok i wasn't sure on that but it makes sense