What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

MotherLode Gardens 2015

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Im goin to The santa cruz cup today. Didnt enter anything , i just want to See friends and have fun. Feels weird to be off the hill finally

EastBayGrower

Veteran
Im goin to The santa cruz cup today. Didnt enter anything , i just want to See friends and have fun. Feels weird to be off the hill finally

enjoy, wish i knew, i woulda headed down, instead im chopping my last couple bubba kush plants before the rains, would love to see some dry shots/general harvest/pre-chop plant pics when you get a sec, if you took time to take photos that is, im sure you were busy..

and really professional job getting the trim scene completed so early, thats not an easy job...

..you gonna be hitting it hard again next year? the world wonders...

how does pricing effect the info in the books tho? or vice versa. if you mess up watering a few times does the other stuff really even matter?

what i mean is if you have pay x to get y and the numbers/odds come out the same each year and depend mostly on strain and plant count whats the point of reading the books. i never see people that have read the books comparing them like blue dream vs og kush or bubba. they always sell for the same price as people with the same name brand strains usually. which is confusing. plus they never post pics usually or do threads lol just drop info which is irrelevant to people that cant learn from that system :biggrin:

That is kind of like asking: Would a doctor do a better open heart surgery than somebody that just watched you tube video's? I guess it's possible, but knowledge is power. If you understand the plant your growing at the cellular level, you will grow better plants.

reppin2c

Veteran
More importantly with that knowledge would you get more on a shit year then you normally would? The bad years seperate the men from the boys.

Also when you meet someone else who has some knowledge and can converse with them it's golden. All others around you have that deer in the headlights look

That is kind of like asking: Would a doctor do a better open heart surgery than somebody that just watched you tube video's? I guess it's possible, but knowledge is power. If you understand the plant your growing at the cellular level, you will grow better plants.

no its not. you left out the pricing part for both sides. which is what most people on both sides revolve around. comparing youtube videos to books is a slippery slope. for the most part i just see people using those books for the name drop game and not really putting up consistent results or solutions to problems.

no its not. you left out the pricing part for both sides. which is what most people on both sides revolve around. comparing youtube videos to books is a slippery slope. for the most part i just see people using those books for the name drop game and not really putting up consistent results or solutions to problems.

I guess I can only speak for my self. Those books make it so I can formulate my soil to William Albrect ratios, and with the additional ok from Micheal Astrea. I can keep pests at bay with Tuning into Nature, when other growers are spraying pesticides. I can understand proper nutrition, not just read off a label. I can spot deficiencies before most because I have read up on what causes deficiencies, cation/anion balances, and fix them without dumping a bottle of full spectrum nutes on the plant. I would just add what element the plant is lacking.

When getting my soil tests for the next season, I receive soil tests from logan labs, and again dial in my soil to the William Albrect ratios. Instead of just sprinkling a little of this, or a little of that. I know the best time for foliar applications, and how often and what moisture % your soil should be.

I really could go on, forever really. However, when your able to dial in your soil, spot deficiencies, and keep proper mineralization, then your product will come out top notch. Not only that, but since that grow came with knowledge, and not just guessing, you can now repeat the process, and improve in areas you believe need improving.

For me personally, each season I would have a plant or two that looks amazing before I started to study up. Now I have a plant or two that did poorly, and the rest are close to reaching their full potential. More consistent results, with a higher quality average.

Just my two cents.

I can understand proper nutrition, not just read off a label.

logan labs™

you're just reading off a custom label. without the labels you wouldn't have ratio's to mix to.

I can spot deficiencies before most because I have read up on what causes deficiencies, cation/anion balances, and fix them without dumping a bottle of full spectrum nutes on the plant. I would just add what element the plant is lacking.
Instead of just sprinkling a little of this, or a little of that

thats contradicting. read up and learned or know are not the same things.

I know the best time for foliar applications, and how often and what moisture % your soil should be.

but with outdoors you cant really control the timing of that stuff ever. the same amount of water could raise the moisture level higher and for longer or not enough depending on the day. so its like without a range that is matched to temps and humidity soil mix and container size the odds of hitting the perfect levels are low. seems more important to not let them hit the ends of overwatered,underwatered, overfed, underfed, then it does to try and keep them dialed at perfection.

I really could go on, forever really. However, when your able to dial in your soil, spot deficiencies, and keep proper mineralization, then your product will come out top notch. Not only that, but since that grow came with knowledge, and not just guessing, you can now repeat the process, and improve in areas you believe need improving.

indoor hydro is what it sounds like your talking about. weather changes each year and outdoor growers will harvest stuff in sept on a bad year that they let go into November on a good year.

For me personally, each season I would have a plant or two that looks amazing before I started to study up. Now I have a plant or two that did poorly, and the rest are close to reaching their full potential. More consistent results, with a higher quality average.

Just my two cents.

if you treat them all equally why would some come out different. you talking about tester plants or regular strains ? i could understand that happening with untested genetics but not with ones you know already, unless you were adjusting the soil in each pot differently each year which would increase your chances for crop failure imo.

milkyjoe

Veteran
That is an interesting argument...basically talking about the natural variation the elements bring. And from a statistics pov it is valid.

Would you agree though that knowledge would allow you to at least reduce the standard deviation?

with indoor hydro yea. most seem to be just using plant count for that part outdoors to control the pricing and selections. until that parts fixed the other numbers are sorta invalid.

what one person says they do alone with a 14 person crew is different then what a single person does with no crew and doesn't say they do. the end profit numbers can still be the same for both regardless of the hours they work or plant count.

security isn't cheap and paying for it can lower the standard deviation the most but upsets the people that don't pay for it lol. because then they are expected to have it or look like a deer in headlights when they are caught without it. or expect you to look bad for having it and not needing it. or for using it excessively or not enough.

milkyjoe

Veteran
I get the business aspect. It is why blue dream is still my late finisher. I could run better stuff but means less money in my pocket. So yea in that sense quality does not mean everything to me.

And yes...lack of security could cost me more than say PM. That is actually an excellent point

At the same time a little better understanding of how to keep plants healthy can pay off in a little less loss or a little more yield. Comes down to is that time investment worth it

Woodfired pizza, you are quoting and matching different parts of my post to make it look like I am contradicting myself. I don't have time to sit here and point out everything, all I was trying to do, which I stated in the first sentence, was speak for what works for me. That's all.:tiphat:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Thanks guys, very interesting stuff to think about. Im still in vacation mode but soon i hope to be growing plants again
Great grow, Shcrews.
One suggestion. Use some of the money you made to buy a truck.
probably a good idea. I never bought anything like that before, that level of commitment makes me nervous.

Woodfired pizza, you are quoting and matching different parts of my post to make it look like I am contradicting myself. I don't have time to sit here and point out everything, all I was trying to do, which I stated in the first sentence, was speak for what works for me. That's all.:tiphat:

context & syntax.

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
If you're gonna get a farm truck buy a cheap used one that's A) not a big commitment and B) not a big red flag. Remember, the tax man will most likely see what you pay for the truck initially; they won't see any money you put in for new brakes, new suspension, etc. Buy cheap and fix it up.

jd123

If you're gonna get a farm truck buy a cheap used one that's A) not a big commitment and B) not a big red flag. Remember, the tax man will most likely see what you pay for the truck initially; they won't see any money you put in for new brakes, new suspension, etc. Buy cheap and fix it up.

I wholeheartedly disagree.

I've bought two over 20k. Paid in full with cash both times. I know lots of people that have done the same. Never heard a peep. I'm sure it could happen if he went down and blew his whole years income on a 2016 diesel off the showroom floor, but obviously that isnt happening....More importantly, he doesnt have anybody to help him work on stuff. Working on fixer uppers requires mechanical knowledge and a decent amount of tools.

Spend 8k on a nice little pick-up you could hop in and take on a road trip while not worrying its gonna break down. Theres nothing worse than buying a vehicle your constantly worried about/working on. You end up spending more time/money.

Dude wheres your kid? I know your a father these days. I want an update on the baby shcrews!

DuskrayTroubador

Veteran
I wholeheartedly disagree.

I've bought two over 20k. Paid in full with cash both times. I know lots of people that have done the same. Never heard a peep. I'm sure it could happen if he went down and blew his whole years income on a 2016 diesel off the showroom floor, but obviously that isnt happening....More importantly, he doesnt have anybody to help him work on stuff. Working on fixer uppers requires mechanical knowledge and a decent amount of tools.

Spend 8k on a nice little pick-up you could hop in and take on a road trip while not worrying its gonna break down. Theres nothing worse than buying a vehicle your constantly worried about/working on. You end up spending more time/money.

Dude wheres your kid? I know your a father these days. I want an update on the baby shcrews!

Purchases in cash that big (20k, but even less) are by law reported, so whether or not the tax man acts, they still have the knowledge. We don't know other things he buys that have a paper trail such as a transfer. Some might get lucky, others get fucked sideways by the long dick of the law. I prefer not to take bigger risks as opposed to smaller ones.

He doesn't need someone to help him fix up a truck, he just has to drop it off at a garage to get all the essentials (brakes, suspension, maintenance, etc.) done. He can easily pay in cash without a reported paper trail.

Besides, he doesn't need a truck that will take him cross-country in the dead of winter, he needs a beater to haul shit up to the hill from maybe 100 miles away, if that.

He knows what's best most likely, but I'm gonna assume that large, reported cash purchases are better allocated elsewhere. Get the beater rather than a noce, pricier option that will be a beater after a couple years.

Latest posts

Latest posts