What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

MotherLode Gardens 2015

EastBayGrower

Veteran
you know schrews is busy as shit lately, so im guessing updates will be few and far between for the next couple weeks while real world shit gets taken care of...

harvest is definitely a marathon of work, little sleep and then back at it again, same shit, TRIM TRIM TRIM....

i second pulling those triple potted plants ASAP, you won, now get rid of the evidence ASAP :)

would LOVE to see more dry shots/general harvest madness pics when time permits

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
That heaven mountain looks like it could hit 20, or am I trippin?

we're starting chop on it today, i'll let you know. i'm expectin closer to 15

been busy here, lots of ppl coming and going. Everythin goin prety smoothly. quality is AAA, weed is flying off the shelves as soon as its trimmed. I'll post more when i get a minute free

theJointedOne

Veteran
yo Schrews you should yank those tripple potted carcasses, just something for them to come back to see

This

I would have you or your workers clean up each pot right after you harvest it. Pull up all support, rinse out and tie up drip lines, and make a spot for the bonfire when it rains and burn all plant matter not needed. Pick up and roll up the hortinova trellis, stack everything neatly and organized, maybe on the side of your house or under a porch or in a barn. (Stuff lasts longer if you take good care of it)

Leave no trace! grower style

Do all of this right away while you have help, it will make starting again in the spring a joy! Instead of being unmotivated BC your looking at the giant mess you never cleaned up.

Happy harvest

Edit: darn it sounds like I'm telling you what to do, but its truly just some advice. Enjoy the fall!

picture.php

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
so true TJO, cleanup is one of the hardest things to get done after a season with all the trimming, brokering, taking more time off because its finally done.

cleaning up is always a solid week of work in the spring that i always wish we had done before xmas.

I'm thinking of buying a woodchopper for all the stalks, might make a good mulch to add to the compost piles.

I would love to add planting cover crops as soon as possible helps as well. I normally get two cover crops in over the winter. One c4 for mycorrhizae, and then a mixture of c4 and c3 for green manure to up my organic matter.

milkyjoe

Veteran
What c4 do you use? Soil stays warm enough to keep Myco viable? It get cold here so fast I have trouble even establishing winter rye.

But hell...that is the way to do it

sorghum-sudangrass, bahiagrass and Winter Rye are what I use. I think Winter Rye is a c3. Sorghum and Bahiagrass are both warm weather grasses, and will die off at first frost. When the plant dies at frost, it will produce mycorrhizal fungi in the soil. Those spores will stay dormant till roots hit them in the spring. I don't think freezing temps effect the spores, however they will cause live mycorrhizal fungi to become dormant.

I don't get the worst winters here, and I can keep the greenhouses above 32F all year with the plastic closed up

Here are some great PDF's on the subject.

Attachments

• Methods for large-scale production of AM fungi - past%2C present%2C and future.pdf
    708.3 KB · Views: 75
  • On-farm Production and Utilization of AM Fungus Inoculum.pdf
    669.3 KB · Views: 67

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
thieves in the garden last night.. they chopped a few tops off the plant that was closest to the edge of the property, Heaven mountain, which would probably have yielded 15+ but now will be less. Im stepping up security, probably will camp out on the hill with my dog and my shotgun until we finish chopping. fortunately we are almost done. Or i might start sleeping days and staying up nights to patrol. This is the first time this happened at this property. I can only imagine it is some local kids who smelled the plants... definitely not the work of a professional.

R

Robrites

I have lost a few plants to rippers before and it is never a good feeling. If it is kids, they will be back because they didn't get caught red handed. Stay vigilant and best of luck on finishing your season.

Also, you could invest in a cougar....

thieves in the garden last night.. they chopped a few tops off the plant that was closest to the edge of the property, Heaven mountain, which would probably have yielded 15+ but now will be less. Im stepping up security, probably will camp out on the hill with my dog and my shotgun until we finish chopping. fortunately we are almost done. Or i might start sleeping days and staying up nights to patrol. This is the first time this happened at this property. I can only imagine it is some local kids who smelled the plants... definitely not the work of a professional.

Right after you had the well guys out? Not sure who you used, but several companies around here have their sons working for them. 18-22 years old.......

Hope you get this taken care of. I know I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night for a month. Get some force multipliers on the property.

ponolove

I've been in a tent for over two months now with some bulldogs but I have that "welcome any mother fucker attitude", be safe brah you've worked too hard to lose now
picture.php

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Right after you had the well guys out? Not sure who you used, but several companies around here have their sons working for them. 18-22 years old.......

Hope you get this taken care of. I know I haven't slept more than 4 hours a night for a month. Get some force multipliers on the property.
Just set up a few cameras on the hill. Should have been up already but we took them down after last season and i didnt think i needed them this year.

Wasnt the well guys, they were two brothers in their forties.

I have plenty of force multipliers in various calibers

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Get yourself motion sensor alarms off amazon. Loud, cheap and effective, and they run off cheap batteries.

My swann camera system has built in motion detection and night vision. It has an alarm and also sends an email to my phone if theres motion. I highly recommend swann. This could have been avoided if i had all my cameras up, which i do now

sho

Veteran
That makes two of us bud. Someone got me this past Friday. Paying two guys $100 a night to make rounds for me, don't forget about the dry house that's just as likely to get hit and the damage is far worse.

I considered mine a few elbow lesson that security can never be too much. Two guys, one goes every 15 minutes to walk the mile around the property. When one gets back the other goes for a walk. Green and red night lamps so the neighbors don't keep seeing flashlights bouncing in the night.

To boot, the fucker that got me used MY ladder to top MY plants. No way he could have reached over the top of 8' sheets of remesh to get them out, hell I have a hard enough time in the morning getting them down at around 20 minutes a piece fishing branches through...

Fuckers.