What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

MotherLode Gardens 2015

NeDank

These are getting 20 gals per day and they'll be 7-8 #'s...I can only water 10 gals at a time before it goes to waste and runs-off. 10 gals at 4am and another 10 at 4pm. But there also not smart pots. Smart pots i would be doing something different.

Great plants mang

jd123

Thanks.

Shcrews its mid season blues dawgy. I get them too. The month of august is my least favorite for farming. All I think about in august is how i want these big plants i grow in my backyard to be chopped and dried. The minute they are dried and binned up, i won (this part of the process at least) Until then im still rolling the dice.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
watering your grass huh Prop? i water my 'grass' too.

its mostly because i did a bunch of illegal grading and need to keep the terraces grass and other ground cover alive to cover it up lol. but also because im worried about el nino this winter so i want these terraces to be fully grassed up so i dont get mudslides.

my engineer basically said keep them as green as possible to avoid detection by code enforcement...they dont like seeing bare ground that is ready to erode away.

B

bruvio

These are getting 20 gals per day and they'll be 7-8 #'s...I can only water 10 gals at a time before it goes to waste and runs-off. 10 gals at 4am and another 10 at 4pm. But there also not smart pots. Smart pots i would be doing something different.
very nice! this is the best technique!

reppin2c

Veteran
Me and this prop guy think alike. I've been doing about 15 percent every day, if I skip a day I see the signs but my plants are to big for theyre containers.There's not a hard rule that we can use but having a fully saturated container from the beginning is a good start. It's windy and dry here so that's all part of it

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
very nice! this is the best technique!
is that just your opinion or is there some evidence that watering 5% twice a day is better than 10% once per day. And maybe you can answer my question for milkyjoe, why is 10% every other day better than 5% everyday?

i dont like when people are vague or dont explain their logic. might as well not say anything in the first place if you can't elaborate on it.

Last edited:

milkyjoe

Veteran
What I said was that is how tom said he did it. The point being that as water becomes more scarce we need to adapt.

I use jd's method...twice a day. The best grower I personally know lets them dry out in between cause it produces a pH swing. Which is best...fuck if I know.

Again...I was only adressing water use per lb produced not saying one is better

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Which is best...fuck if I know.

Ok fair enough. So what are the added benefits of watering 10% daily, if only half that is necessary? Or are there any.

C

Cep

What I said was that is how tom said he did it. The point being that as water becomes more scarce we need to adapt.

I use jd's method...twice a day. The best grower I personally know lets them dry out in between cause it produces a pH swing. Which is best...fuck if I know.

pH swing down? Seems like the big ag guys are trying to get people to hit 6.3/4, then if you keep it watered evenly it stays there for a while until later in the season you see that drop because of all the organic acids produced. I never had any hard evidence to validate this but I've shot for pH on the high side (6.5/6) to delay the late season soil pH drop and maybe by the time my plants are in bloom it would be around 6.4

Some of my plot is still showing high sap pH (6.5-6.7) though. The biggest plants are at 6.4.

In those small containers that Tom uses, I wonder where his initial pH is.

milkyjoe

Veteran
In 200s with stupid big plants for the containers I have maintained 6.5 all yr so far. Keeping sap pH and energy up with foliars really seems to help the soil maintain...at least in pots

milkyjoe

Veteran
But yea as water goes down so does pH. And, according to conventional wisdom taught in ag schools that dissolves more base cations making them available to the plant when you do water.

I prefer a more biologic approach

S

StanKDanK

whats the trim scene looking like for this season ? getting same girls from last year?

milkyjoe

Veteran
Ok fair enough. So what are the added benefits of watering 10% daily, if only half that is necessary? Or are there any.

I think exact amount depends on environment...that vpd thing. So in CO down in the valley I gotta go 10% a day...100 degrees and less than 10% humidity. Up the hill in gh my buddies can go 5 or even less

Small pots pushed hard though are gonna be better for lbs/gallon in either situation

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
whats the trim scene looking like for this season ? getting same girls from last year?
yah the girls are signed up for sure. I still need a couple more people though. Its always hard for me to find trimmers. not easy to network when i cant leave the farm

S

StanKDanK

yah the girls are signed up for sure. I still need a couple more people though. Its always hard for me to find trimmers. not easy to network when i cant leave the farm

yeah man its a bitch to find reliable trust worthy people to trim especially when you live far from shit in the hills with no cell phone reception and no stores nearby :biggrin:
last year me and my biz partner trimmed most of the harvest and it took months to get done. im hoping we find some help this year but im having my doubts..

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
yeah man its a bitch to find reliable trust worthy people to trim especially when you live far from shit in the hills with no cell phone reception and no stores nearby :biggrin:
the culture in the sierras is different too, im pretty sure folks in the 707 have no problem finding trimmers

last year me and my biz partner trimmed most of the harvest and it took months to get done. im hoping we find some help this year but im having my doubts..
fuuuuk that. i basically refuse to trim weed ever again unless its for me to smoke. Just think about all the shit you could learn/do in those months you spent trimming. Anyway you are going to pull way more this year than last year it looks like

B

BAKED_BEANZ

so trimming from a twister is no good? you guys hand trim. whats the cost factor in end product or does the machine trimmed stuff not sell at all.

i guess you guys are going for max quality. some people have so much ,hand trimmings not an option i guess. there comes a point where its just not possible to hand trim it all. the cost factor too pay all the trimmers and the trust involved. i can't imagine hand trimming for months. omg stuff that

Last edited:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
so trimming from a twister is no good? you guys hand trim. whats the cost factor in end product or does the machine trimmed stuff not sell at all. like 3 people can smash out 50 pound a day.

i guess you guys are going for max quality. some people have so much ,hand trimmings not an option i guess. there comes a point where its just not possible to hand trim it all.

let alone the amount of people you need and the cost to pay them all.then there,s the trust issue
quality over quantity always. hand trimming usually eats up to 10% of total net profit but its worth it to have the job done right.

if somebody grows a lot of weed and they dont want to hand trim it then they should just make it into hash or oil.

jd123

^ This has been brought up countless times. Twisters suck. Why grow big beautiful plants for months and months, only to have rough cut product in the end. Its a no brainer whats better.

B

BAKED_BEANZ

i guess different markets have different demands, i certainly wouldn't be saying twisters suck. and i won't crush this thread with the debate of hand trim vs machine cause we do know hand is better. some people its just not an option.

also the wait to have it have it hand trimmed and sitting around ten times as long with all the extra risk and drama. but guess why its called commercial and connoisseur. a lot of commercial vacuum seal too so guess hand trimming isn't essential . i don't think smoke quality and strength is affected ?? that is concern i guess.
different laws in different places dictate a lot to how the job gets performed i guess

Last edited: