What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

MotherLode Gardens 2015

Calidude

Yep, I love walking the garden with the dog and we pee all over too. It helps with deterring other animal.

Thanks for feedback on pfr97....I'm still a bit concern with use during flower. Have you noticed burns on the flowrring pistols?

B

BAKED_BEANZ

walking through the garden at night is one of my favorite things to do at this time of the year. The energy of the plants is more perceptible at night and is extremely potent at this time in the season, the peak of their existence. The days are cooling down a bit and summer is slowly slipping away, harvest is on the horizon and then the short cold days of winter. To me the garden is already dead, chopped dried trimmed and sold. Half of me wishes that were really true.

The next few weeks are mostly a waiting game. Will it be a bumper crop, or will caterpillars, mildew and mold take a hefty toll? Will harvest coincide with what scientists are calling a "Godzilla" El Nino storm? Not much left to do but put up more trellis and clean out the drying room. At this point in the game i surrender to the universe, and ask that my fate be merciful.

In the dog days of summer i like to think about plans for next season. Every day in the year has its own purpose, and each new year builds upon the last. It is important to make improvements with each cycle. I have started to establish a workflow in my garden but random variables make it difficult to formulate a

I've also been researching hash a bit. Not sure if i want to make my own concentrates this year or just contract it out. Due to california legalities i won't run BHO but i know folks who do, and am tempted to just give all my material to them and be done with it. Or.... there are a few methods which seem like they would be fun to try, like dry sift and rosin. Bubble hash seems like more work, but who knows.

Anyway enough rambling. i should be asleep but took a long nap today. My back feels much better now, so i might even try to be social this weekend. Met an icmagger who lives less than a hour away so i can make the drive to check out his grow and shoot the shit. And theres a lady who wants to come visit me i think...
bubble hash is easy on a large scale if you think big. theres ways to do it on a more commercial level and still maintains quality. thought it was a dying breed the bubble hash? people still want it in the states?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
thanks for feedback on pfr97....I'm still a bit concern with use during flower. Have you noticed burns on the flowrring pistols?
None at all. it seems completely harmless.

Do you have any new ideas/ plans / strains for next year?
yah i have a lot of ideas but its too early to say anything yet

That tangerine pheno looks like it is going to fill out nice!

Was def good to see Tom posting again!
I expect the Afkansastan x Snow Lotus tangerine pheno will be the first thing to finish. It already has very loud smell and is stacking big chunky colas.

It is nice to see Tom back around again. He's always on a good one haha

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
thanks for feedback on pfr97....I'm still a bit concern with use during flower. Have you noticed burns on the flowrring pistols?

Do you have any new ideas/ plans / strains for next year?

That tangerine pheno looks like it is going to fill out nice!

Was def good to see Tom posting again!
I expect the Afkansastan x Snow Lotus tangerine pheno will be the first thing to finish. It already has very loud smell and is stacking big chunky colas.

With an interesting theory about growing from seed
no need to be vague, i'm all about open discussion here.
i'd love to grow from seed but some of us ... got to try and make a living.... and let's face it,, only a fool would try to do that from seed.
I'm not so sure about this. I am foolish for sure, and far be it from me to disagree with a veteran like Tom , but i think the only real downside to growing full- season from seed is that seeds don't grow uniformly and most bulk buyers don't want mixed boxes. However IMO there are seed strains now that produce a relatively uniform product from plant to plant

There are pros as well.
- seed vigor.
- no need for supplemental lighting with sensetive strains.
- a large fall harvest is more manageable with multiple strains finishing at staggered times.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Stardawg x Goji OG:
QOxsUdCl.jpg

zWJRsMtl.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Damn that cross sounds tasty. Did u keep clones of ur plants?
no. i was going to but i dont want to worry about keeping moms right now. I might pollinate a few branches though.

I can always pop more seeds. Bodhi never stops making fire

milkyjoe

Veteran

no need to be vague, i'm all about open discussion here.
I'm not so sure about this. I am foolish for sure, and far be it from me to disagree with a veteran like Tom , but i think the only real downside to growing full- season from seed is that seeds don't grow uniformly and most bulk buyers don't want mixed boxes. However IMO there are seed strains now that produce a relatively uniform product from plant to plant

There are pros as well.
- seed vigor.
- no need for supplemental lighting with sensetive strains.
- a large fall harvest is more manageable with multiple strains finishing at staggered times.

Yea...he was definitely harsh. Never been able to see growing seed myself outside...but never thought my deciscion was any better than yours.

Anyways that sd x gogi looks fantastic this early.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
growing seeds outside is all about taking the plunge and risk. I've found them to pay back good dividends, all about the genetics. my animal cookies x plush berry last year, ran 12 seed phenos and 10 of them were so similar i could mix all the bags together. 2 others were still dank phenos too. if your running some random bag seeds or freebies off seed bay might be risky, but I've found homemade genetics to surprise. you can still make a fuckin killin and plenty of money running seed phenos. clones always fucking piss me off, out of 12 glues this year 1 totally runted out on me. every single seed i planted looks to be a monster yield..

I'm growing about 40% seed in my plot this year….i hedged the bets by doing 25% gorilla glue and 25% tangie which are proven so i can afford to do some hunting. also seed phenos that are mediocre are easily converted to hash!

milkyjoe

Veteran
I wish tom would have actually explained his logic rather than be so dissmissive. You know he has given it thought.

And here is the thing. I to have always thought fuck cbd...just never had the balls to say it out loud. So it makes me wonder

MountZionCollec

To me the purpose of growing from seed is strain hunting and/or Pheno hunting. Not everyone has been the industry their whole life, not everyone has connections to the genetics they desire, or they simply do not like the genetics available in clone form. To me growing from seeds is an "investment" in my long term future.

After next year I will have 15 amazing mother plants that no one else is commercially growing in California. How could I do this if I didn't grow from seed? I agree I make less $$ in the short term but I am looking to ensure my survival in the long term. Also, I really do not like what's available, a bunch of different names but not one with the clean effects I am looking for, everything is "muddy" in effect to me. I believe it is a poor combination of terpenes.

I will be fully testing all of my seed plants for terpinoid/cannabinoid content and use them to help me choose mother plants for the effects I desire to create with the strain. How could I do this from cuttings!?

I agree with what Tom is saying and what BYF was saying on it too, but only when someone isn't actively looking for genetics. We still have a couple years where the prices are high enough and the general quality is low enough that it really isn't that "risky" to grow from seeds.

UNLESS you are like me :), I am doing a late flowering bumper crop next year and I'm sure MANY of the phenos will be so "ugly" I won't be able to sell them as flowers, or I will have to sell them at an extremely reduced price so it would be more worth it to just make into concentrates. BUT I do expect to find some true winners. To me that is worth it. Everyone manages there orgizations differently. The key is have a long term vision.

No seeds in the garden this year. I've always had bad luck with seeds getting crap phenos. I do wanna try some bohdi though

I hear you on that one pono. I had some SSH from Mr Nice a few years back and the 6 females were all different phenos. Two of which were completely worthless from a commercial point of view...Not trying to be nostalgic but it seems like I used to get more stable genetics back in the day (which for me is the 90's). But maybe that was just luck of the draw and I remember the success more than the failures over time lol.

I too wanna try some Bodhi stuff now though after seeing Shcrews grow these monsters out.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Credit where it is due...byf talked about building a brand. From a business perspective that is what matters long term

Are you willing to risk it on seed? How much can one fucked up yr set back your rep? Willing to risk it on seed?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
To me the purpose of growing from seed is strain hunting and/or Pheno hunting.
I agree that is a good reason to grow seeds altho maybe not in a large full season garden.

Credit where it is due...byf talked about building a brand. From a business perspective that is what matters long term

Are you willing to risk it on seed? How much can one fucked up yr set back your rep? Willing to risk it on seed?
1. a brand can be anything, doesn't have to mean you only grow one or two strains. There are guys who, for example, have created a brand based on growing out seeds s and blasting whole plants into concentrate.

2. In the spring, with the resources i had available, growing from clone seemed a bigger risk than using seeds from the breeder who crushed it in my garden last year. Like i said, other than a completely uniform crop i just dont see how growing clones would have been helpful to me this year.

Not trying to be nostalgic but it seems like I used to get more stable genetics back in the day (which for me is the 90's). But maybe that was just luck of the draw and I remember the success more than the failures over time lol.

I too wanna try some Bodhi stuff now though after seeing Shcrews grow these monsters out.
do it! Bodhi renewed my faith in the seed game. breeder among breeders.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
growing seeds outside is all about taking the plunge and risk. I've found them to pay back good dividends, all about the genetics.
genetics are key. I might try some new things next year but I'm really loving bodhi's Snow Lotus crosses for the second year in a row.
I'm growing about 40% seed in my plot this year….i hedged the bets by doing 25% gorilla glue and 25% tangie which are proven so i can afford to do some hunting. also seed phenos that are mediocre are easily converted to hash!
i like your style. we have different strategies.. I'm growing 100% from seed but i hedged my bets by triple-planting

-------------------------

I wish tom would have actually explained his logic rather than be so dissmissive. You know he has given it thought.
some people try to start controversy and others try to end it.
And here is the thing. I to have always thought fuck cbd...just never had the balls to say it out loud. So it makes me wonder
I dont have enough experience with CBD to make a judgement, but personally it has never seemed to do anything to me. at all. However i think Tom and Sam's recent polemic against CBD in the genepool is a bit alarmist.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
fucking woodpeckers kept waking me up this morning , pecking the wall outside my bedroom. I was so pissed i almost went and got the saiga12. Instead i got my ladder and hung up a few CD's dangling from a chain on the wall to scare them away. country life.

Sky Lotus:
Mk6oIcJl.jpg

Afkansastan x Snow Lotus:
uvjrQqYl.jpg

new plot:
hzQmRwMl.jpg

Calidude

To me the purpose of growing from seed is strain hunting and/or Pheno hunting. Not everyone has been the industry their whole life, not everyone has connections to the genetics they desire, or they simply do not like the genetics available in clone form. To me growing from seeds is an "investment" in my long term future.

After next year I will have 15 amazing mother plants that no one else is commercially growing in California. How could I do this if I didn't grow from seed? I agree I make less $$ in the short term but I am looking to ensure my survival in the long term. Also, I really do not like what's available, a bunch of different names but not one with the clean effects I am looking for, everything is "muddy" in effect to me. I believe it is a poor combination of terpenes.

I will be fully testing all of my seed plants for terpinoid/cannabinoid content and use them to help me choose mother plants for the effects I desire to create with the strain. How could I do this from cuttings!?

I agree with what Tom is saying and what BYF was saying on it too, but only when someone isn't actively looking for genetics. We still have a couple years where the prices are high enough and the general quality is low enough that it really isn't that "risky" to grow from seeds.

UNLESS you are like me :), I am doing a late flowering bumper crop next year and I'm sure MANY of the phenos will be so "ugly" I won't be able to sell them as flowers, or I will have to sell them at an extremely reduced price so it would be more worth it to just make into concentrates. BUT I do expect to find some true winners. To me that is worth it. Everyone manages there orgizations differently. The key is have a long term vision.

I agree...recognizing that seed results are extremely inconsistent but I am new here and need to build a closet inventory of mothers first.

Of all the plants in the garden, only one is worth saving.....huge stacked and compact nugs with frosty resin like indoor grow. Amazing...already developing a passion for strain hunting.

B

birdman_

^ Do i see Tulips ! ? :D.
Make GOOD Markers they would.. :smoke:
Hope the CD's Worked 4 ya! :)..Hows that Work on em Exactly? ..Curious!