What's new

MotherLode Gardens 2015

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Their really aren't any clone mills in the area. Lots of people have been moving in from other areas over the past couple years and bring their dirty clones with them. Every plant in the garden this year is seed grown, but one plant on the outer edge where the wind blows over a hill of other farms caught whatever this was.

I stopped touching the plant, took it out, haven't done anything for a couple weeks but I just got this email so just passing along the info. No other plants have been infected in my garden.

Thanks for the info, this is a good place to post it. Yah theres def something going on, looks like half my plants are in some stages of battling whatever it is

Im sending a cooler full of infected and noninfected branches to a lab on monday. Want to see what is goin on

R

Robrites

Smart Man

Smart Man

Yah theres def something going on, looks like half my plants are in some stages of battling whatever it is

Im sending a cooler full of infected and noninfected branches to a lab on monday. Want to see what is goin on

That is way better than hoping and wondering and thinking and guessing.

Whatever it is I think we should name it Shcrews Disease.

:)

milkyjoe

Veteran
Dude...mo water. Not drown em...but you are not keeping microbes alive. Microbes first...everything else way behind

milkyjoe

Veteran
At this point 10 % evwry day ain't gonna hurt em. Letting microbes die

Edit...don't take my word for it..
.ask epic orchard

TheOutlawTree

Schrews... A friend of myne is having similar issues with the weird twisted leaves. Its only affecting about 5-10% of his garden. Its strange because he's got pots that are also double planted with only 1 of the plants in the pot having the weird growth. I sent in a soil sample for the guy the other day, but I doubt its the soil when multiple pots that are double planted have 1 shitty twisty plant and 1 nice plant. I scoped with him for about an hour and found nothing.

Heres a top from one of the badly infected plants...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 19
R

Robrites

If it was something from the soil/nutrient spectrum, seems like both plants would have it. If it is mites or some other critter, Both plants should suffer from it. The same thing goes for a virus I'd think. The question then is how does it spread and what is its name?

Shcrews - I think all of your plants started from seed but am not sure - Any clones in the patch? If you have both, is there any difference in the infection rate between clones and seed plants?

milkyjoe

Veteran
Another interesting thing to ask would be how are people watering that have this problem? Drip or flooding with big hoses? Maintaining constant water or wet/dry? Is the soul still granular or clumping together? Seems to me americans have been programmed to fear the worst...maybe we should rule out the simplest first

Joe's Garage

Another interesting thing to ask would be how are people watering that have this problem? Drip or flooding with big hoses? Maintaining constant water or wet/dry? Is the soul still granular or clumping together? Seems to me americans have been programmed to fear the worst...maybe we should rule out the simplest first

Drip and flood....same contorted growth on both irrigation methods in our neck of the woods. Found broad mite eggs with 100X scope but no adults... not uncommon from university studies I have read. Miticide rotations have worked wonders but getting to be a little late in the season to apply safely. Found the same damaged growth on both toyon brush and another native plant in close proximity... seems as though general consensus leans toward pest pressure. Visual id or not, treating for tarsenoid mites (broads, Russet, or cyclamen) has benefited the majority of farmers I have encountered with similar damaged growth.

MountZionCollec

Hey milky hold out your hand with our fingers stretched out like giving a high five. Now imagine your fingers curling back and caving in and around your arm and this is what the end stage of the gnarled branch look like. It is happening across the spectrum from seeds to clones, in the ground or in posts nothing seems to matter Except blue dream seems ultrasensitive. I only had 2 blue dream Crosses and one of them is what caught it in my garden. Hearing similar stuff from other farmers...I just don't see how it could be watering unless that led to a soil pathogen but that doesn't seem to be the case.

one farmer sent the gnarled branch tip off to be lab tested. No mites were found and still looking for a virus. Almost no one with these symptoms has seen any actual mites. I put my gnarled branch under the scope microbe man sells for compost teas and saw no mites.

Last edited:

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Schrews... A friend of myne is having similar issues with the weird twisted leaves. Its only affecting about 5-10% of his garden.
take some pictures and send some samples in to a lab for tissue analysis and pest/virus screening, then post the results.

anyone else who is seeing this issue should do the same
Drip and flood....same contorted growth on both irrigation methods in our neck of the woods. Found broad mite eggs with 100X scope but no adults...
yah i recommend take pictures and send off for lab screening.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Schrews... A friend of myne is having similar issues with the weird twisted leaves. Its only affecting about 5-10% of his garden.
take some pictures and send some samples in to a lab for tissue analysis and pest/virus screening, then post the results.

Drip and flood....same contorted growth on both irrigation methods in our neck of the woods. Found broad mite eggs with 100X scope but no adults...

one farmer the gnarled branch tip off to be lab tested. No mites were found and still looking for a virus. Almost no one with these symptoms has seen any actual mites. I put my gnarled branch under the scope microbe man sells for compost teas and saw no mites.
interesting, thanks a lot. keep us posted on that.

I have a couple plants that are stunted for sure, then there are others who seem to have bounced back. And i am noticing still more plants which appear newly infected, or slightly "off".

not sure if i am seeing the symptoms of one or multiple conditions, but there is some leaf-twisting, and also some yellowing/drooping and purpling of the stems which may be related

re: mites; Last night i sprayed the plants down with the firehose on high blast. checked a few leafs with the 100x scope this morning and saw nothing.

epicorchard

interesting, thanks a lot. keep us posted on that.

I have a couple plants that are stunted for sure, then there are others who seem to have bounced back. And i am noticing still more plants which appear newly infected, or slightly "off".

not sure if i am seeing the symptoms of one or multiple conditions, but there is some leaf-twisting, and also some yellowing/drooping and purpling of the stems which may be related

re: mites; Last night i sprayed the plants down with the firehose on high blast. checked a few leafs with the 100x scope this morning and saw nothing.

the toxins seem to linger after the russets have moved up the plant. I usually only find them by locating a top branch with tacoed leafs, then I move up that same branch to the very newest growing tip which will have a slight twist to the new growth. using at least a 200x scope you first will see cloudy/clear eggs with tubercle shapes on them. The adults can move pretty quick and be hard to find. It can take me an hour sometimes to spot them.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Keep your generalizations about Americans to yourself man, we fear nothing.:moon:

How's it going today Schrews? Get all your netting up?
I'm almost done. Should be finished by tomorrow. It's been 100+ lately so can only work on the hill for a couple hours at a time.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran

the toxins seem to linger after the russets have moved up the plant. I usually only find them by locating a top branch with tacoed leafs, then I move up that same branch to the very newest growing tip which will have a slight twist to the new growth. using at least a 200x scope you first will see cloudy/clear eggs with tubercle shapes on them. The adults can move pretty quick and be hard to find. It can take me an hour sometimes to spot them.

my plants symptoms dont seem to be the same as the ones you are describing. Anyway i'm not sure that the problem is mites. sending samples in for lab screening tomorrow

milkyjoe

Veteran
What did that tissue analysis show? I am guessing without it obviously...but cation/anion balance? The secret is to listen to the advise from people that don't have constant problems...outside chance they got it figured out

milkyjoe

Veteran
Is it hotter out there? Have you studied the difference between transpiration and respiration? Do you know what your sap pH is? People that measure are able to rule out a lot of things. Funny how labs never find these mysterious viral/nematode/sap sucker problems don't you think.

But...do send a sample in for hemp canker just in case

epicorchard

Is it hotter out there? Have you studied the difference between transpiration and respiration? Do you know what your sap pH is? People that measure are able to rule out a lot of things. Funny how labs never find these mysterious viral/nematode/sap sucker problems don't you think.

But...do send a sample in for hemp canker just in case

I guess it's a case by case basis, but I personally scoped both russets and broadmites. After a barrage of treatments, continued sprays of PFR-97, and a relea senor predators, my plants have started to explode again.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
What did that tissue analysis show? I am guessing without it obviously...but cation/anion balance? The secret is to listen to the advise from people that don't have constant problems...outside chance they got it figured out
Any particular advice you are referring to?

I didnt get the tissue analysis yet. byf referred me to the UC davis ag lab, but i contacted them and they wont do testing for the public. i found a business in humboldt that does testing and analysis but it is slightly expensive and since funds are low and i foolishly thought the plants were growing out of their funk, i didnt have the tests done yet. Anyway yah excuses excuses, but i am sending in samples tomorrow.

Is it hotter out there?
where?
Have you studied the difference between transpiration and respiration?
care to share? my general botany knowledge is pretty abysmal. I have been reading Teaming with Microbes but the chemistry stuff is pretty tough for me.
Do you know what your sap pH is?
no i dont, that's measured with a refractometer right? I want to order one but probably will use it wrong somehow knowing my luck.
People that measure are able to rule out a lot of things.
theres so much stuff to measure, and i dont know how to do it or what any of it means. gets overwhelming.
Funny how labs never find these mysterious viral/nematode/sap sucker problems don't you think.
I'm not sure what you mean by that?

Latest posts

Latest posts