What's new

MotherLode Gardens 2015

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Took a look in the garden today and found I lost a pretty good sized plant to the wind.
that happened to me last year cuz we forgot to pin down all the cages with T-posts
I want some free herb passed my way, too.
huh, did i miss something?

no water, dry as fuck ready to burn at any minute, and counties getting super aggressive against MMJ gardens. high rates of power, high rates of taxes, why the fuck do we all decide to grow and live here again? lol…
I'm california born and raised. travelled all over the country and nowhere else compares except hawaii which is a whole different animal. maybe someday i will move but not yet, there is still a lot i want to do here.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I was wondering about people and there gardens near fires, they aren't getting that high bright sun more like hazy. Wondering if that might trigger there plants to flower?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
idk im pretty close to the fire, close enough to get ashes on my plants. hella smoke in the air, and the sun is still bright as fuck. but i guess yah it might trigger flowering. I think those thunderstorms about a week ago might have something to do with it too

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Let's hope things don't get too wild around these hill Schrews... even if it is the Full Moon !

If you checked the actual planetary aspects you'd notice Pluto (IMHO a PLANET) is just bringing more death and regeneration to the scene.

Stay safe, keep the water taks full, the gas tank full, the armageddon bags packed, the animals ready to travel... best be prepared for holocausts.

HatchBrew

Veteran
the moon is full at 3:43 am tomorrow morning, which counts as tonight.

shits about to get wild up here

Night ends at 3am. if 12 am =midnight. than plus and minus three hours puts night being 9 pm to 3 am. Either and or anyway...

Love a full moon and all the energy-good times it brings with.

R

Robrites

Death and Regeneration

Death and Regeneration

Let's hope things don't get too wild around these hill Schrews... even if it is the Full Moon !

If you checked the actual planetary aspects you'd notice Pluto (IMHO a PLANET) is just bringing more death and regeneration to the scene.

Stay safe, keep the water taks full, the gas tank full, the armageddon bags packed, the animals ready to travel... best be prepared for holocausts.

Good advice - Great poetry

mako44

Hey Shcrews ,Thanks for the reply!! O ya i also got a Ancient og plant ,, Out of 28 seeds only got 4 plants 1 is mute & 2 males 1 good female plant ,,It is looking great so far ! I will make seeds from the male & onto female ,, Does this mean they will be same as the original seeds except improved germ rate? If you make your own seeds will they be same if mother & father is from same ? I will find out as i made some seeds last yr ,White Master x white Master,, Also made white master X white fire,, , Yes i found a male wm plant out of og raskals fem wm seeds ,, first time ever had male out of fem seeds & that's out of many fem seeds ! I appreciate your input ,Thanks Oya the plants from the seeds i made look great,, This year i will make few more , i started 4 blueberry hashplants but all 4 were male ! but ssdd was 4 out of 5 are female ,, so i started another 4 BBHP but they are small , just want to see what it turns out like !!

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Im wondering if we have the same Blueberry X Hashplant. My buddy gave me 11 seeds back in March/April 6 were fem. They are Blueberry X Mr. Nice which is G-13/ Hashplant? I guess his friend actually bread it...

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
Power is cheap here thanks to the Columbia River dams. Most of Oregon is under drought conditions but nowhere near as bad as Cal. Wildfires in both Eastern Oregon and Washington are a regular part of summer.

yea i generalized a bit, was talking about PDX and the areas around it, and seattle out to west WA near the banana belt. awesome areas that are lush green and certain valleys have lots of sun and same amounts of rain as CA. tons and tons and tons of water, i can run massive RO systems and not feel bad. in CA i skipped an RO system at my indoor spot because my county is monitoring water use, both public and private its getting very very bad in norcal with current and upcoming regulations.

i would skip eastern oregon altogether since those counties voted to not allow cultivation. eastern WA has some decent spots, but western on the ocean is just insanely beautiful.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
hey guys I think we should start a new outdoor thread, we have kind of hijacked this one lol. I'm sure schrews dont mind but since the TomHill thread closed we have really been missing a good outdoor growers discussion thread.

heres some from my new garden, aka the shitshow, aka the alamo aka the last fucking stand. this was hastily assembled within 2 months from close of escrow. 50 x 400 smarties in vermifire and amended with the usual shit. plants didn't go in until first week of june due to waiting on a court date outcome which was stupid because it got delayed until august 13th. should have went in earlier but oh well….shit looks alrite, not as good as last year by any measure, but things are chugging along. still need to do 2nd layer of caging and finish the drip system which I've been procrastinating major on.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

one of the double planted 400s to see if they can compare to the singles. honestly in my shitty garden the double pots all look great and to have way more yield, but its unfair comparison as the doubles are all seedlings while my runty singles are all clones. and my largest plant in the garden is a single planted clone.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
looking good Yes, i like how you went with the tan colored bags. I see people with the black and it can't do anything but heat up your topsoil even more? Did you thin out the insides it looks pretty constricted on the ins. compared to mine

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
yea last year i did massive interior pruning at 1 garden and can't really say it paid off, because the other garden had zero done and yielded more, there were other factors but i didn't notice huge difference, plus this year used cages which makes getting inside a little harder. only been chopping lower level growth off but havent gotten up and inside them this year. I'm only pruning the deps right now since they are smaller, but now that you mentioned it maybe i will try to get inside those with some scissors over the weekend, thank god the heat wave is tapering off!

epicorchard

Yea I've completely double caged myself from my plants. I figure any extra large is good for BHO, so I probably won't get around to hollowing my plants out this year either.

MountZionCollec

Hey schrews still seeing twisted leaves?

Just received an email from collective patient resources (http://www.collectivepatientresources.org) local patient/cultivator organization in Calaveras. In the article "tri-county" is amadour to tuolumne)

Hey friends,

We're emailing today in an effort to boost awareness of a relatively new pest/pathogen that seems to be hitting the tri-county area pretty hard this season. While there are many unknowns related to this new affliction, CPR feels that there is sufficient consensus in the community, and independent corroboration with plant pathology experts, to where we can make a general Public Service Announcement with relative confidence. In these types of situations information is power, so in an effort to empower the community we've made this email long and detailed. We apologize in advance, but we hope you read it all.

A firm disclaimer: the purpose of this email is simply to report the evidence and opinions that have been shared with CPR by local growers and a few folks who diagnose plant problems for a living, and in no way represent the opinion of CPR itself. We are relating this information as a public service so you can make your own decision, for while we've taken a lot of care to get to the bottom of this problem, the simple truth is CPR is in no position to pass off anything you are about to read as absolute fact.

In addition: please note that CPR CANNOT issue suggestions on specific products for treatment. To do so would not only violate our internal code of ethics, but would come dangerously close to breaching the boundary of the type of activities our organization is legally entitled to engage in (recommendations of particular products could be interpreted as an effort to benefit particular businesses, or could lead to us being implicated in boosting the presence of some unpopular chemicals in the local environment).

Again, Please DO NOT contact us for recommendations on treatment. We know this might sound a little callous, but we are genuinely confident that there is now sufficient awareness in the community to where anyone can develop an effective treatment with a few phone calls to friends and neighbors.

Right. Onto the nitty gritty.

Symptoms (see attached pictures)
The first symptom noted by most is a curling of the leaves within the top 6 inches or so of one or multiple branches, taking place on younger, smaller leaves. The curling progresses until the leaves are turned almost into a cylinder. In most cases, there is very little to no yellowing, browning, or spotting.

As symptoms progress, the curling becomes a twisting/gnarling. Eventually, the growing end of the branch stops growing completely and takes on a gnarled/knotted appearance (all without any significant yellowing.)

As the plant develops multiple branches like these, it may slow or completely stop its growth and uptake of water. The plant then takes on an overall unhealthy look and simply stops growing as the gnarling takes over.

In some cases (seemingly on plants with significant damage) the affected growing tips will begin to flower.

Additionally, many have reported a general mild droopy, unhealthy look to their plants before the above symptoms begin to manifest.

It is important to note that for many of the people sharing their experience with CPR, the first symptom noticed was completely gnarled branch-ends. Often, general mild droopiness and leaf curling as preceding symptoms were noticed only once the grower was on the alert.

Some have reported extremely fast infestation rates through their crops- up to 30% of total plants showing symptoms within 5 days. Factors that are theorized to have contributed to the speed of this infection include extreme temperatures and wind (most growers that reported significant levels of infestation to CPR experienced the outbreak around the time of our most recent heatwave, which included a week of extreme heat followed by 3 days of unusually cool temperatures, and are growing in areas with relatively strong breezes.)

While there are many non-biological causes of curling and/or twisting in Cannabis, none that CPR is aware of do so without also causing yellowing, browning, or spotting, with only the growing tips being affected.

So what is it?

As far as CPR is aware, possible causes of the above symptoms may include:
Viral infection (Tobacco Mosaic Virus and other mosaic viruses are those most often mentioned)

Tarsonemid Mites (including Broad mites, Russet Mites, and Cyclamen mites)

Viral Infection:
Certain viruses are known to infect tobacco and tomatoes and wreak hormonal havoc on the plants that host them, causing damage almost identical to the type of gnarling currently being seen on cannabis plants in Calaveras. These viruses can only enter a plant through damaged tissue, and thus are most often spread by:

pruning multiple plants with one pair of scissors

chewing insects that hop from plant to plant, spreading the virus with their mouth parts

Most of these viruses usually begin with some sort of variegation (leaves mottling or striping in strange isolated patterns, "hooking" left or right as they grow, or blistering). Many of these symptoms are often mild and subdued until the plant is stressed or undergoes a hormonal change (such as flowering), at which point the Virus will manifest itself as the type of gnarling we're currently seeing in Calaveras. However, whether or not these viruses can infect cannabis is a hotly debated topic. Lab-corroborated infection of Cannabis with Tobacco Mosaic Virus, for instance, seems to be something which exists mostly, if not entirely, as an unverifiable claim on online forums, and has not yet been backed with any confidence by any plant pathogen experts we are yet aware of (if anyone reading this knows different please get in contact with us). However, it has also been argued that a lack of evidence for this type of infection may simply be due to the fact that not enough research has been performed, as cannabis is in general poorly researched.

Tarsonemid Mites:
Tarsonemid Mites are microscopic (barely visible under 60X magnification). They spread via wind, surface contact, and most disconcertingly by hitching a ride on the bodies of other flying insects. Pregnant females also hibernate over winter in the soil, giving birth to new generations come spring. They are attracted to, and more readily damage, plants that are already stressed or sick. The life cycle can last up to 21 days in favorable conditions, so any treatment protocols need to be enacted for at least that long. It has been suggested by local growers that the damage done by Tarsonemids may not be only physical damage, but biochemical (i.e. a chemical that the mite injects into the plant as it feeds). The fact that damage done by Tarsonemids retards growth and can produce localized flowering is cited to support this theory. Because of the possible chemical mode of action of these pests, a few unique things can occur during Tarsonemid infection:
It is possible that a very small population of Tarsonemid mites can do extensive damage to a plant.

It has been theorized by local growers (although not corroborated with experts) that it is possible that the bugs may be feeding somewhere on the plant OTHER than where the damage is manifesting, as this toxin may simply be circulating through the plant and accruing at the growing tips

It has been reported to CPR that more often than not Tarsonemid mites are not visibly confirmed during an infection of Tarsonemid mites, presumably due to the extremely small size, low population numbers, and unknown location on the plant,

So which is it?

At this point, most growers that have talked to CPR strongly believe that what we're seeing is a Tarsonemid Mite infestation, specifically Broad Mites. Information here:

http://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/floriculture/images/10-10_Mites.pdf

This opinion seems mostly due to the following factors:

Widespread Viral infection of this type is generally considered to be unlikely

Santa Cruz, Lake, and Nevada counties have apparently experienced wide-spread Tarsonemid Mite outbreaks within the last year (as reported by multiple sources).

So what do we do?

If its mites:

Find and use an effective pesticide(s), and spray for at least 21 days to cover the entire life cycle of the bug on the plant. Additionally, treat the soil to take care of any mites that may be hiding there (multiple types of beneficial nematodes are reported to take care of this). Soil treatment is especially important in the off season, so make sure none of these bugs make it through to next growing season.

Due to the hormonal havoc wreaked by the bugs, CPR has been advised that it is important to add a product to your feeding/foliar feeding regimen that is specifically formulated to bolster your plant's immune system. There are multiple products (organic and chemical) that are sold for this purpose. Additionally, many growers have been cutting all extensively damaged branches out of their plants, on the theory that they are unsalvagable, may contain the bulk of the mite infestation, or may be a "reservoir" for the mite-injected biotoxin that may hurt the plant as a whole at a later date. Growers that do this have reported good success in keeping new damage from manifesting. This method is supported by a couple of research papers on the broad mite that have been sent our way, which state that it hides deep inside the growing end of the branch, where it is difficult to hit with pesticides.

If its a virus:

It has been reported to CPR that there is no known cure for any of the plant viruses that may be causing these symptoms. Apparently, the only treatment is preventative: Keep your plants as happy and as stress-free as possible, and bolster their immune systems via the same methods you would in a Tarsonemid Mite infestation.

Phew, hope you guys are a little less exhausted reading that than I was typing it. If you have any information to add to the body of knowledge here, or any corrections you believe should be made, please don't hesitate to get in touch. Good luck and happy growing!

-CPR

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
yea last year i did massive interior pruning at 1 garden and can't really say it paid off, because the other garden had zero done and yielded more,
thats actually pretty interesting. your garden looks good. you will probably pull more than me even with all the setbacks

You are a midget...aren't you. Fuckin stoners can't remember what order to do things in. Someone should write it down. Clean first, then cage...repeat as needed.
yah i pruned everything before putting nets up. this isnt my first rodeo haha

Hey schrews still seeing twisted leaves?

Just received an email from collective patient resources (http://www.collectivepatientresources.org) local patient/cultivator organization in Calaveras. In the article "tri-county" is amadour to tuolumne)

i guess a LOT of people are having issues this year. too bad that article told me literally nothing i didn't already know.

after spending hours with a scope i think i can rule out mites. but still not 100% sure

milkyjoe

Veteran
Start with seeds...not fuckin store bought pathetic clones...and mites just aren't likely. I cannot believe guys out there buy from clone mills.

MountZionCollec

Well actually it did tell you that lots of people growing the same crop in your geographic region are having very similar problems...hence prolly ain't watering

MountZionCollec

Their really aren't any clone mills in the area. Lots of people have been moving in from other areas over the past couple years and bring their dirty clones with them. Every plant in the garden this year is seed grown, but one plant on the outer edge where the wind blows over a hill of other farms caught whatever this was.

I stopped touching the plant, took it out, haven't done anything for a couple weeks but I just got this email so just passing along the info. No other plants have been infected in my garden.

Latest posts

Latest posts