What's new

moonshine mix

you could try and make your own LW... peat, perlite, EWC, mychorrizal fungi, and some food. I'm pretty sure you could get close to it yourself, I dont think theres anything super fancy in it.

Kailua Kid

sqwirl said:
Mysta your pimpin those girls if you ask me.

KK, thanks for letting us know your soil mix. Your little clone looks nice and healthy, what flavor's that?

I'm pretty much running your recipe KK. Except, I had a spur of the moment decision at the hydro store a few weeks ago and I'm substituting Black Gold for the LW. I'll come back with my results on that one when it's all done.

I'm unable to get Light warrior atm.. so I was wondering what would be a good substitue?

Thanks for the kind words sqwirl. The clone is one of those that cause hate & discontent so we'll just call it my meds. :D
LW is basically 60% Peat, 20 % Perlite, and 20% castings. :wink:

judas cohen

^^^^^^^Don't forget a LITTLE oystershell or dolomite with 60% peat if making your own style LW. BALANCE is important with MSM Mix. Otherwise sounds good. Not saying it won't work, but it could lead to problems that lead to solutions that lead to problems that lead to ....... :cuss:

If a wheel is balanced and you change the weights on the rim, watch out when you spin it. Just a thought...
Grow Safely/Be Happy!

judas cohen said:
^^^^^^^Don't forget a LITTLE oystershell or dolomite with 60% peat if making your own style LW. BALANCE is important with MSM Mix. Otherwise sounds good. Not saying it won't work, but it could lead to problems that lead to solutions that lead to problems that lead to ....... :cuss:
of course the dolomite, I should have specifically mentioned that... shame on me.

When do you guys add the POM F&F and/or POM Starter? Do you mix it in from the beginning or do you add it when you transplant/pot up?

Also, do you suggest both Peace of Mind Fruit & Flower and the POM Starter or just one or the other.

OK, one more question: I usually like to add a little Hydroguard to my water and maybe some Rhizotonic for the roots when transplanting. Is this practice a no no with the MSM?

Mucho apreciado

Kailua Kid

judas cohen said:

If a wheel is balanced and you change the weights on the rim, watch out when you spin it. Just a thought...
Grow Safely/Be Happy!

I did say "basically". It also has ground granite, ground oyster shell, mycorrhiza, and humic acid. But no dolomite.

mysta177

Thx KK....I knew it was close. Sounds like a mix to give a try fosho. Squirl....nice of ya to drop by homie!!!! man I wish I knew you needed some LW while you were in town...I have plenty!

If you going to grob bubba in MSM just do the basic mix.......will stay cami green/purp the duration of the life....ive done 3 bubbas and all dank dank dank!!!
This was MSMix with a experiment of purplemaxx....dont try that pmaxx unless you know whats up....shit is wicked!
9005og_032.jpg

simple MSM only added H2O
900512-06_1-07_021.jpg

900512-06_1-07_004.jpg

Last edited:
nice mysta! i wish i had some of those frosty nugs :) nice to see what you can do with this stuff.

i haven't been on top of things lately and they have been getting neglected. so much stuff on my plate at the moment. right now the ladies look sad :( i need to get the ball rolling and get on it so i can help contribute some nice things to this thread. gonna let the flower box finish out completely and then attempt vegging out a SCROG in the MSM. hopefully the larger volume of soil will be better than what i've been doing currently.

judas cohen

KK: My bad. I wasn't clear with the " ^^^ " I was referring to SW post #566. My bag of LW doesn't give percentages of peat, perlite, etc. Where can I find that info and also component % of OF and HF? FF website doesn't have it.

The mix you list in post #564 sounds like a good substitute for MSM recipe. I think you get a little more mix for a little less money subbing the HF for the Planters mix, don't you? (TIA for sharing your source listing the percentage of various components in FF products. I've been trying to find that info.)

SW: The HF has mykes and prolly enough pH buffer in that and the OF to handle the peat in homemade LW, but pH seems to cause problems for some MSM users making substitutions, judging by recent posts. I didn't want someone to use only those 3 (peat, perlite, EWC) ingredients. The rock dust, humic acid, mykes, etc is also provided in the POM, as I'm sure you know.

I'm not a fan of adding dolomite to MSM (especially if using high pH tapwater), but a lotta' peat with no oystershell and/or dolomite could possibly upset the pH balance FF products seem to have when used with each other.

Mysta: Your grows and pictures are the poster child for MSM, IMO! You & MSM really helped a lot of us newbs grow simply and successfully. Thanks!

mysta177

JC thanks for the kind kind words.....K+.
KK sweet....someone thats used it in a similar mix.....what ratio do you use if you dont mind me asking? Man that shit is super duper heavy. It stacks those trics like no other. The wonder it was called stacker before they found out it turned SOME ladyz purple...now its Pmaxx. I want ot continue to use it but IM SCARED...lol

Kailua Kid

mysta177 said:
JC thanks for the kind kind words.....K+.
KK sweet....someone thats used it in a similar mix.....what ratio do you use if you dont mind me asking? Man that shit is super duper heavy. It stacks those trics like no other. The wonder it was called stacker before they found out it turned SOME ladyz purple...now its Pmaxx. I want ot continue to use it but IM SCARED...lol

I mix it 2.5ml per gallon and use it all the way through the bloom.
It was called "Snow Storm" at one time too. I think that was the best name for it. :D

Mr.M

XXI
ICMag Donor
Nice pics Mysta! Here is some more runoff info for MM with and without dolomite lime. The plants are SSSDH in 5gal pots. I started with tap water @ 7.1pH 244ppm. I adjusted the water to 6.5pH.

Plant 1 (no dolomite lime) Outs = 6.6pH 1360 ppm
Plant 2 (no dolomite lime) Outs = 6.6pH 904 ppm
Plant 3 (no dolomite lime) Outs = 6.7pH 1830 ppm
Plant 4 (with dolomite lime) Outs = 6.9pH 1170 ppm

Peace, Mr.M

Interesting note: Both Plant 4 with dolomite lime and the Sage with dolomite lime in my previous post both had consistent runoff ppm of 1170. Those without dolomite lime had a range from 904ppm-1830ppm.

Last edited:

BBWluva

what do you guys think of using something like big bloom after 30 days of flowering instead of top dressing? it's still 100% organic and it would be alot faster acting than top dressing.i just don't think when you top dress on a 8 week strain at 30 days it gets into the soil quick enough...any suggestions

ReeferDan

anybody in the bay area, california know where to buy the fox farm chunky perlite locally? I can find all other sorts of perlite, but i want the big chunky stuff. Im willing to travel around a bit but not too far from the bay.