What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Buzzzzd

One quick question for all the Cob Gurus - Does the moisture content have any effect during the cure or is it mostly effective to get the ferment started??? These cobs were fairly dry before the sweat but I'm pretty sure they still had internal moisture waiting. Is it worth the risk of mold to keep it a bit more moist after the sweat or is dryer better???

Tangwena

Veteran
One quick question for all the Cob Gurus - Does the moisture content have any effect during the cure or is it mostly effective to get the ferment started??? These cobs were fairly dry before the sweat but I'm pretty sure they still had internal moisture waiting. Is it worth the risk of mold to keep it a bit more moist after the sweat or is dryer better???
The moisture content after the sweat should be as low as possible similar to jar cured buds.
However moister cobs will cure differently to drier cobs and give a different final product.
I suggest trying differing levels of moisture in each cob to see which you prefer the taste and effects of.
Having a few to play with is the ideal way to find your preferred cure.
love the tech of your home made sweating box man its the best way to standardize your curing, hats off brother.

moose/MI

I found this thread last season a little too late. I'm reading it again from about page 350 forward.
I wanted to jump ahead with a couple questions because harvest is closing in.
Friday will be 75 dof

Has anyone used an instant pot to do the intial sweat at 40C? After the vacuum bag I thought I could use it for precise sweat temperature.

Second question

I normally save some of the A buds for flower and make templeball hash from the rest of each plant. Now I plan to cob some of each plant also.
Do I need to adjust my harvest at all for cob?
Is it better to run the plants longer?
Or take them where I normally would?
The weather has been spectacular.

Thanks

CDNINCA

Yo @moose/MI , welcome in!
Glad to see your interest in all things cob, it's a great "hobby" :)

To answer your questions... I've not used an instant pot before but it might work well? I have sous vide many a cob and that works well, for what it's worth. Sometimes I don't bother with it at all and just wrap them up and keep them in a warm environment... slower, but works well!? Give it a try if you think it will maintain the temps?

I'm not too particular about the entire sweat process myself, things always seem to work out nicely, especially if the source weed is not too dry. Not too wet, not too dry. The Goldilocks setup eh? !

To answer your second question...I've not experienced your temple ball hash, sounds interesting! :)
Initially, on my journey with the cob, I made about half the harvest into cobs and left the rest for "regular" use. After seeing how great the cob program worked, well, I now cob darn near all of the harvest. That's just me, but I really enjoy it! Maybe try it out with some, and see how you like it, then adjust next season?

Don't run the plants longer. Harvest when you normally would.

Enjoy the season, the weather here has, and is, still spectacular!

Cheers, and welcome!

Tangwena

Veteran
I found this thread last season a little too late. I'm reading it again from about page 350 forward.
I wanted to jump ahead with a couple questions because harvest is closing in.
Friday will be 75 dof

Has anyone used an instant pot to do the intial sweat at 40C? After the vacuum bag I thought I could use it for precise sweat temperature.

Second question

I normally save some of the A buds for flower and make templeball hash from the rest of each plant. Now I plan to cob some of each plant also.
Do I need to adjust my harvest at all for cob?
Is it better to run the plants longer?
Or take them where I normally would?
The weather has been spectacular.

Thanks
Good on you for giving it a go. As CDNINCA said so well above it works just as well without a sweat it just takes a lot longer.
Try several cures from dry to moist you will be surprised at what you find I'm sure.
The harvest window is the same as you would normally do for sure, if it smokes good jar cured it will work even better cob cured.

Hasch

learning and laughing
PXL_20241003_075651858.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

About 9 days of 30°
After 7 days it had a strong leathery spice smell.
Now smell is less intense with some sweet or vanilla undertones.
PXL_20241003_075756597.RAW-01.COVER.jpg

I understand now I let it dry out slowly?
Still wrapped in the husks?

Hasch

learning and laughing
Two more coming right up
PXL_20241003_134037282.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg PXL_20241003_134847003.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg Smaller one is Wolfman from Hyp3rids
The larger is Wolfman mixed with LedaUno
(Both are small compared to what others here put together)

moose/MI

To answer your questions... I've not used an instant pot before but it might work well? I have sous vide many a cob and that works well, for what it's worth. Sometimes I don't bother with it at all and just wrap them up and keep them in a warm environment... slower, but works well!? Give it a try if you think it will maintain the temps?

I'm not too particular about the entire sweat process myself, things always seem to work out nicely, especially if the source weed is not too dry. Not too wet, not too dry. The Goldilocks setup eh? !

To answer your second question...I've not experienced your temple ball hash, sounds interesting! :)
Initially, on my journey with the cob, I made about half the harvest into cobs and left the rest for "regular" use. After seeing how great the cob program worked, well, I now cob darn near all of the harvest. That's just me, but I really enjoy it! Maybe try it out with some, and see how you like it, then adjust next season?

Cheers, and welcome!
Thank you for the warm welcome!
Temple ball - malleable - Frenchy style
Whatever you call it. Making hash drying it

Cheers, and welcome!
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Longtime enthusiast. Former guerilla grower.
I quit growing for 40+ years. Quit smoking for 25.
I've been back to smoking a few years. Almost 2 years strictly vaping.
This is my 3rd season back to growing.

I grew a clone on the back porch first. Then last year I grew a bunch with a partner at his place.

Just me and the girlfriend and my dynavap. 😁
I had to come up with a method of dealing with it all. So I taught myself to make bubble 🫧

It's a good plan. I save the best tops for flower. I like Grove bags.
I only trim those "A" buds. I wash the rest! 150u - 45u full spec
Sun grown, organic, slow cured, the temple just keeps getting better and gives me storage.
I kind of like the whole hash cellar idea.

I still plan on washing some this season.
However I'm excited to add cobbing into the mix.
I think it's going to be a good fit for me.
I'm sure @CDNINCA you would like the hash.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome and all the efforts that have gone into this thread.

Attachments

• 20240505_145838.jpg
    20240505_145838.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 4
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 20240420_211005.jpg
    20240420_211005.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
  • 20231206_134351_exported_1756_1701888800264.jpg
    20231206_134351_exported_1756_1701888800264.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20240709_133126~2.jpg
    20240709_133126~2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:

moose/MI

Do you cob the more modern hybrids?
indica/sativa
Or is this better for the more pure sativa?
20240801_103156.jpg

I went heavy on the sativas this year
3 of Green Mountain's offering.
A Panama cross from Mass Medical and an Ace Super Panama Haze which unfortunately died as a seedling.

I do have 2 indica/sativa blended plants also. I can make hash from them if cobbing isn't recommended.

Latest posts

Latest posts