What's new

Malawi Style Cob Curing.

Buzzzzd

One quick question for all the Cob Gurus - Does the moisture content have any effect during the cure or is it mostly effective to get the ferment started??? These cobs were fairly dry before the sweat but I'm pretty sure they still had internal moisture waiting. Is it worth the risk of mold to keep it a bit more moist after the sweat or is dryer better???

Tangwena

Veteran
One quick question for all the Cob Gurus - Does the moisture content have any effect during the cure or is it mostly effective to get the ferment started??? These cobs were fairly dry before the sweat but I'm pretty sure they still had internal moisture waiting. Is it worth the risk of mold to keep it a bit more moist after the sweat or is dryer better???
The moisture content after the sweat should be as low as possible similar to jar cured buds.
However moister cobs will cure differently to drier cobs and give a different final product.
I suggest trying differing levels of moisture in each cob to see which you prefer the taste and effects of.
Having a few to play with is the ideal way to find your preferred cure.
love the tech of your home made sweating box man its the best way to standardize your curing, hats off brother.

moose/MI

I found this thread last season a little too late. I'm reading it again from about page 350 forward.
I wanted to jump ahead with a couple questions because harvest is closing in.
Friday will be 75 dof

Has anyone used an instant pot to do the intial sweat at 40C? After the vacuum bag I thought I could use it for precise sweat temperature.

Second question

I normally save some of the A buds for flower and make templeball hash from the rest of each plant. Now I plan to cob some of each plant also.
Do I need to adjust my harvest at all for cob?
Is it better to run the plants longer?
Or take them where I normally would?
The weather has been spectacular.

Thanks

CDNINCA

Yo @moose/MI , welcome in!
Glad to see your interest in all things cob, it's a great "hobby" :)

To answer your questions... I've not used an instant pot before but it might work well? I have sous vide many a cob and that works well, for what it's worth. Sometimes I don't bother with it at all and just wrap them up and keep them in a warm environment... slower, but works well!? Give it a try if you think it will maintain the temps?

I'm not too particular about the entire sweat process myself, things always seem to work out nicely, especially if the source weed is not too dry. Not too wet, not too dry. The Goldilocks setup eh? !

To answer your second question...I've not experienced your temple ball hash, sounds interesting! :)
Initially, on my journey with the cob, I made about half the harvest into cobs and left the rest for "regular" use. After seeing how great the cob program worked, well, I now cob darn near all of the harvest. That's just me, but I really enjoy it! Maybe try it out with some, and see how you like it, then adjust next season?

Don't run the plants longer. Harvest when you normally would.

Enjoy the season, the weather here has, and is, still spectacular!

Cheers, and welcome!