What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Looking for Landrace Hawaiian Sativa

Lugo

Veteran
In 2021 I sent a very good amount of my non-hybridized Colombian Punto Rojo landrace to an ex-partner in Hawaii.

At the time he said that it was not to be found in HI.

Hes was/is a pretty established grower although sorta pollen chucky and not too organized.

Long story short he sold/traded my seeds and bred the rest into everything he could get his hands on and i'm sure the people he sold to and traded with did the same.

So I think there's a good opportunity that its probably as good as its been for decades as far as Hawaiian Cannabis on the way Sativa side.

And I guess that was the point, fraudulent rats or not.

Most everything coming out of there looks exactly like my CPR though 🤔

Ask around for Colombian Punto Rojo crosses, let me what you find!

Good luck on your search!

*Pic is a bud of my 2021 CPR 🔴 and some vintage images of Panama Red

Attachments

• received_399171256117956.jpeg
    received_399171256117956.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 62
  • received_1577237413080587.jpeg
    received_1577237413080587.jpeg
    77.4 KB · Views: 65

Lugo

Veteran
I have some of those seeds. I started 2 seeds but others bumped them out so they got tossed.

Keep in mind comparing pics of weed 50 years ago to what we have today is not possible. Those images from the 70s that most post are poor examples of those plants true quality. I am a better grower today than I was back then. This also impacts how good weed was/is.
Idk I think I disagree, at least in reference to my lines.

Thank God for those vintage photographs, otherwise nobody would have a reference to a real, authentic, non-hybridized line.

I just posted something along those lines by pure chance jaja

Peace!

Lugo

Veteran
Upon someone sending me a link of what the BOEL was "Brotherhood of Eternal Love" I remembered it being called the Brotherhood or BEL. Maybe someone after the fact, not in the know, decided to rename it BOEL.

Regardless, I have included a link to a webpage discussing how Maui Wowie got to the islands, and what the genetics consisted of. Not so surprisingly, as I previously discussed, the vast majority of the seeds that made it there came from a boat load of several tons of smuggled select head stash weed from Mexico, about or just prior to 1970.

There was also a small amount of Afghan seed that apparently made it there, via smuggled hash with seeds still intact in it (not uncommon). Some of this was apparently bred together with the Mexican that the Brotherhood had brought there before, that resulted in an an uber strong combination originating in Kula. Likely rare indeed today.

Later on the Vietnam vets brought back SE Asian strains. A few got off the plane in Hawaii and stayed. Not many.

The predominant landrace strain that comes from Hawaii are from Mexico. Zero Hawaiian. It is Mexican seed.

An extensive documentation of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love activities is linked here: BEL HISTORY
Are you familiar visually with the Maui Waui by chance?

I'd love your opinion on something!

TIA!

RobFromTX

In 2021 I sent a very good amount of my non-hybridized Colombian Punto Rojo landrace to an ex-partner in Hawaii.

At the time he said that it was not to be found in HI.

Hes was/is a pretty established grower although sorta pollen chucky and not too organized.

Long story short he sold/traded my seeds and bred the rest into everything he could get his hands on and i'm sure the people he sold to and traded with did the same.

So I think there's a good opportunity that its probably as good as its been for decades as far as Hawaiian Cannabis on the way Sativa side.

And I guess that was the point, fraudulent rats or not.

Most everything coming out of there looks exactly like my CPR though 🤔

Ask around for Colombian Punto Rojo crosses, let me what you find!

Good luck on your search!

*Pic is a bud of my 2021 CPR 🔴 and some vintage images of Panama Red

Beautiful buds my friend. Id love to run your CPR at some point

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Idk I think I disagree, at least in reference to my lines.

Thank God for those vintage photographs, otherwise nobody would have a reference to a real, authentic, non-hybridized line.

I just posted something along those lines by pure chance jaja

Peace!

Not sure what you could possibly disagree with. After 60 years of growing cannabis and not being better is an impossibility. Vintage pics did not show how good the quality of cannabis was.. Many have used those pics as proof of how crappy weed used to be. Your pics above are no different. Most have no clue how good the genetics were in 1970. Rarely did people take pics of their plants in 1970, I know I didn't. I didn't start taking pics until 30 years later. Be more specific about what lines you had in 1970 or maybe I misunderstood?. I've made hundreds of projects dating back many decades but none belong in the Hawaiian Landrace thread.

Last edited:

xtsho

I've grown the Nirvana Hawaii x Maui Waui. They list it as a landrace on their site which doesn't make sense if it's a cross and also an IBL in a different location. I don't know the validity of either claim but I believe it as much as the claims other vendors make which is with skepticism. I do know that they have been selling seeds since before many were even born.

I don't pay attention to the stories people pass around online. He said she said, I heard, someone told me, blah blah blah. Most of that stuff is nothing more than Folklore, Fairy Tales and Fables. Other than ACE or RSC I'm skeptical of what claims are made.

I do know that it was some damn good weed that I've grown more than once and made several crosses with it. The Thai cross I made with it is spectacular. I call it Thaiwaiian. I still have a ton of feminized seeds and two breeder packs of 5 regular seeds.

I can't find any pictures of plants other than one that I reversed to make feminized seeds. I think I still have some pollen in the freezer but I doubt it's any good after 6 years.

stshawaiia2.jpg

nirvanaregularmaui.jpg

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I like Nirvana's stuff, but they are not correct with the descriptions (like almost all seedbanks unfortunately), however their Hawaii x Maui wowie would derive from Positronic hawaiian x skunk...

Lugo

Veteran
Beautiful buds my friend. Id love to run your CPR at some point
Not sure what you could possibly disagree with. After 60 years of growing cannabis and not being better is an impossibility. Vintage pics did not show how good the quality of cannabis was.. Many have used those pics as proof of how crappy weed used to be. Your pics above are no different. Most have no clue how good the genetics were in 1970. Rarely did people take pics of their plants in 1970, I know I didn't. I didn't start taking pics until 30 years later. Be more specific about what lines you had in 1970 or maybe I misunderstood?. I've made hundreds of projects dating back many decades but none belong in the Hawaiian Landrace thread.
Well it was just in response to your claim that everything has improved...and somethings never needed to be improved upon.

Thats my point.

Not trying to get into a discussion over a picture but I believe my point is valid and appropiate.

And like the great Forest Gump said..."thats all I have to say about that"

G.O. Joe

Veteran
In 1836, a newspaper article in “Ka Nonanona” was published, which told the story of a woman, who fell asleep after toking some sweet Pakalōlō, which resulted in the entire house burning down and killing a couple of people, including children. After this article, the Pakalōlō was coined as “Kapu” (forbidden).

It doesn't say that at all. What it says (in Hawaiian) is that Cook was killed when he tried to pass off his cargo of Bengal Brown as Thai, but it wasn't tied to any sticks. Obviously there's conspiracies within conspiracies to keep the truth hidden, and only those who are seeking to make money off their narrative have all the facts.

I remember growing a pack of seeds with a fancy label saying "random sativaish Mexican bagseed F4 from Topeka", and after seeing the pictures here, there's no doubt that the name was a smokescreen to hide its real Hawaiian origin from the 5-0.

The newspaper can be downloaded as pdf. Good luck.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It doesn't say that at all. What it says (in Hawaiian) is that Cook was killed when he tried to pass off his cargo of Bengal Brown as Thai, but it wasn't tied to any sticks. Obviously there's conspiracies within conspiracies to keep the truth hidden, and only those who are seeking to make money off their narrative have all the facts.

I remember growing a pack of seeds with a fancy label saying "random sativaish Mexican bagseed F4 from Topeka", and after seeing the pictures here, there's no doubt that the name was a smokescreen to hide its real Hawaiian origin from the 5-0.

The newspaper can be downloaded as pdf. Good luck.

That is 100% what it said. I didn't change a word. Maybe you meant to quote someone else as that one has nothing to do with Cook . All the info is below.

Here is the full acticale
Landraces are highly sought after in this world of synergetic hybrids. Many try to revive the ancient genes, which evolved through natural selection. Searching and discovering the cannabis genes untouched by modern technology is highly desirable. Hawaii contains cannabis landraces that grew in the tropical paradise for centuries.

In the ‘60s, Hawaii attracted many hippies, and the local surfing culture was spreading among the Western youth. The local Hawaiians had trust issues with the foreigners. There was a lot of remaining bitterness and suspicion, due to the coup d'état in 1893, when the Hawaiian monarchy was overthrown by the US. Bradda Joseph of Lower Nāhiku, Maui, told a story of the ‘60s summer solstice party. The hippies created a huge psychedelic party in Lower Nāhiku. The locals felt the ganja smoke from miles away. The locals decided to see what’s going on. Upon encounter, the hippies didn’t know what was happening, they were scared. The tension was real. Suddenly, the locals brought forward some of their own dank and started sharing it with the hippies. They told them about their long history of marijuana usage. They danced, partied and had a good time bonding over the sweet Mary Jane. When the hippies toked some of the local ganja, they said “WOW!”, afterwards, they went “wowie, maui wowie, maui!”. And that’s the legend behind the name; Maui Wowie.

The locals call cannabis for Pakalōlō, Paka = tobacco and lōlō = crazy or numbing. “Crazy numbing tobacco” is quite descriptive of the dank, that they enjoyed. For centuries, the landraces, that the locals consumed, were used for medicinal and recreational purposes. In 1836, a newspaper article in “Ka Nonanona” was published, which told the story of a woman, that fell asleep after toking some sweet Pakalōlō, which resulted in the entire house burning down and killing a couple of people, including children. After this article, the Pakalōlō was coined as “Kapu” (forbidden).

Approximately 140 years later many landraces have become extinct due to the Operation Green Harvest, which was commenced in the late ‘70s. The federal state and local narcotics officers were wasting taxpayer dollars on robbing the island of pure cannabis gems. There was a great diversity of landrace strains in Hawaii, they were called Kona Gold, Maui Wowie, Puna Buddaz, and Kaua’i Electric, before the Operation Green Harvest, they were very easily found. Although, many landraces survived and the genetics are being mixed with other strains. For example NYC Diesel contains the Hawaiian Sativa genetics, among other dank strains. Indoors the typical height is 120-150cm, while outdoor growers can expect 140-190cm of dank magnificence. When the plant receives a balanced feeding and the optimal light conditions, the expected flowering period will be around 65 days. When you grow it, commemorate the Hawaiian growers and the island for providing the lavish ganja experience.

When it comes to the ancient history of how the plants got their way into the mystical paradise of Hawaii remains a mystery. Some speculate that the birds smuggled seeds from distant lands. If that’s true, let’s encourage the birds of today to follow the footsteps of their ancestors. Some speculate that the seeds could’ve traveled by sea. The Polynesians that paddled onto Hawaii's shores could’ve contributed to the weed landraces. There are many theories, although Hawaii's rich history of marijuana usage remains unquestionable.

So, the mystical tropics have a lot of dank genes to offer for the marijuana community of the world. If you are an explorer, don’t hesitate, go to Hawaii and search for the untouched landraces, which will contribute greatly to humanity. If you just want to chill, speak with the locals about their Pakalōlō history and culture. Roll a joint and enjoy the picturesque sunsets.

Here are more since they were missed

CAPTAIN COOK IN HAWAII

Banks had planned to accompany Cook on a second voyage to the Pacific in 1778, but was denied permission to sail by the Admiralty after a fierce disagreement about the lodgings, provisions and equipment he required for the journey. It was on that expedition aboard the HMS Resolution that Cook would “discover” the Hawaiian Islands (which he called the Sandwich Islands).

In 1779, the Resolution made landfall at Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island, where the Brits first made contact with the Natives. Upon their arrival, Cook was perceived as a divine emissary of the Polynesian god Lono, whose festival the Hawaiians happened to be celebrating when the ship arrived. Because of this, Cook’s initial interactions with the inhabitants were overwhelmingly positive – so much so that he and his crew remained on the island, trading and interacting with the Hawaiians peacefully for nearly a month. Unfortunately, Cook later ran afoul of the Natives after attempting to kidnap their king, Kalaniʻōpuʻu, in a dispute over a stolen cutter boat and was stabbed to death.

Banks may not have been on board that expedition to Hawaii, but his seeds almost certainly were. He was still the Crown’s horticultural advisor and was known to require that a wide variety of seeds be brought along on all voyages – including Cannabis, which the Brits would’ve wanted to plant on the islands so they’d have hemp crops waiting for them upon their next visit.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well it was just in response to your claim that everything has improved...and somethings never needed to be improved upon.

Thats my point.

Not trying to get into a discussion over a picture but I believe my point is valid and appropiate.

And like the great Forest Gump said..."thats all I have to say about that"

I never posted any claim about everything improved. None of my posts said that. You dummies only read what's in your head. Since you brought it up there IS a ton of quality weed today. Far more than there was in 1970. Weed was highly illegal. There were not as many people growing weed in 1970.

I will interpret it since you have trouble understanding it.

The images taken back then were inferior to the images we can take today. Has nothing to do with how good the weed was or wasn't.

"Keep in mind comparing pics of weed 50 years ago to what we have today is not possible. Those images from the 70s that most post are poor examples of those plants' true quality. I am a better grower today than I was back then. This also impacts how good weed was/is."

IMO, like I've said for the last 50 years is cannabis back then was far better. I've never said anything diferant.

Last edited:

G.O. Joe

Veteran
That is 100% what it said. I didn't change a word.

"It" as applied as the subject in my post refers to the newspaper, because it makes more sense that way. Are your smartass and sarcasm detectors working properly? Expect certain antisocial persons to lean on said dickery when given the opportunity.

The title started in 1841.

If the other date of 1842 is correct, and cannabis is in fact mentioned, and this particular cannabis was not hemp, what that is most likely to prove is that Indian ganja - with or without Indians - reached Honolulu at that time. Which still would not even imply, much less prove, that a single plant was growing there by let's say 1965.

I grew outdoors for the same length of time as the famous players in Hawaii did back in the day. There is NO FUCKING WAY my stock (all accidentally lost not long after) could be called a landrace except for the first generation, which was still Mexican. Even the ditchweed around Ditchweed City is rather variable within patches after well over 100 years on its own, although admittedly there is often variation between patches and pot is way more inbred than ditchweed.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
At my age not much works anymore. There is plenty of dickery going on today. No one reads whstr posted. They just make up shit on their own. If you're looking for proof weed was on the islands before 1965 good look finding it. My common sense tells me you bet your ass it was. It's clear many don't know what a landrace is. If a specific variety has not been isolated for at least 100 years it's not a landrace. Doing that on the islands is unlikely. The Mowie , Kona, Puna are not landraces IMO. These would have had to be isolated since 1924. Most if not all landraces originated someplace else. The most important part is the isolation. Hawaiian Cannabis org has always been a good site for info..

Last edited:

xtsho

Almost 200,000 Japanese laborers arrived at the Hawaiian Islands sometime around 1860. In the 1920's Japanese made up 43% of the population in the Hawaiian Islands. There is also evidence that Japanese Sailors reached the Hawaiian Islands in the 1200's. Cannabis cultivation in Japan can be traced back almost 10,000 years so they could have been a source of some of the cannabis that arrived in the islands.

We may never know the true story as none of that history was documented and what information out there is not reliable enough to be considered fact.

Lolo94

At my age not much works anymore. There is plenty of dickery going on today. No one reads whstr posted. They just make up shit on their own. If you're looking for proof weed was on the islands before 1965 good look finding it. My common sense tells me you bet your ass it was. It's clear many don't know what a landrace is. If a specific variety has not been isolated for at least 100 years it's not a landrace. Doing that on the islands is unlikely. The Mowie , Kona, Puna are not landraces IMO. These would have had to be isolated since 1924. Most if not all landraces originated someplace else. The most important part is the isolation. Hawaiian Cannabis org has always been a good site for info..
I keep on going back to the notion that if weed was available (long enough and in sufficient numbers to create a landrace), the locals would have been aware and there would have been stories . Locals love talkin story and getting together for kani kapila (playing music). There is no way pakalolo growing would have remained a secret for long. Don Ho did write a song later in 1977, Who is the Lolo Who Stole my Pakalolo. As far as the Chinese bringing it over, alot of Chinese and most other local ethnicities intermarried, so Pakalolo would not have been isolated just to the Chinese community for long.
I spoke with an older relative who came back to Hawaii from Vietnam in 1969, and he mentioned how easy it was to bring back pakalolo from Vietnam, and that plenty of guys were doing it. He'd also never heard of any Hawaiian grows before the 1960s. That doesn't mean that it wasn't smoked, just that he had never heard of grows.
There was Southeast Asian weed in Hawaii in the early 90s. I rented a place in Hilo town where the previous tenant was a local Japanese Vet . He had left the bottom foot of a plant in the back yard that he had cut down before moving out. I managed to clone the plant and planted it in the forest. It got huge (tall and wide), and resembled a big bamboo plant with lime green leaves. I never got to harvest it in the forest (it was late November and had just recently began budding) It was located in an area that was too far to hike to for just one plant when everything else in the area had been harvested). I took more clones and these finished up in Hilo in late winter. The bud was loose with small calyxes. The high was very trancy, going from wondering if you were high to feeling like you were on mushrooms. It was a real mindfuck, but fun. The older guys who tried it said it reminded them of the Vietnam weed they used to get. The clone circulated amongst friends for a while, and I also managed to backcross it twice to the Swazi. Unfortunately, both the seeds and clones (to my knowledge) were eventually lost. We aptly named the strain Hilo Backyard. We could have renamed it Wainaku Wonder and made a fortune ):

Rastafarout

We also know that outside of one’s own ‘Ohana, discussion of Pakalōlō cultivation or even personal use became Kapu (forbidden) after an article was published in a Hawaiian newspaper, Ka Nonanona, written in the year 1836, about a woman who fell asleep after smoking “sweet smelling baka” (baka: another Hawaiian word for tobacco used for Pakalōlō) and accidentally lit her house on fire killing the inhabitants, including the keiki (children) who lived with her.

Prior to this article Pakalōlō was celebrated within Hawaiian culture for all of it’s wonderful medicinal benefits and shared freely.

The same newspapers that printed advertisements for medical marijuana before the fire, now turned their backs on Pakalōlō believing that the plant was evil.

The article demonized Pakalōlō as the culprit for the fire, as opposed to blaming human error and all mention of Pakalōlō became Kapu (forbidden) hiding deep underground, now grown only in secrecy, obscuring the origins of Hawaiian Pakalōlō deeper in mystery, myth and legend.

'69 bag seed...1769 that is!

Some of the most amazing Pakalōlō strains on Earth like OG Kush, NYC Diesel and Chemdawg can be traced back to a bag seed that the breeder Chemdawg acquired at a Grateful Dead show in Colorado in 1991, but is it possible that some of our favorite Hawaiian Pakalōlō genetics originate from a bag seed from all the way back in the year 1769?

Captain James Cook arrived in Hawai’i the year 1778 and was credited as the man who “discovered” the already inhabited Hawaiian islands. James Cook had a botanist by the name of Sir Joseph Banks, who was quite the cannabis enthusiast to say the very least .
continued -