What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Looking for Landrace Hawaiian Sativa

Lolo94

In 1836, a newspaper article in “Ka Nonanona” was published, which told the story of a woman, who fell asleep after toking some sweet Pakalōlō, which resulted in the entire house burning down and killing a couple of people, including children. After this article, the Pakalōlō was coined as “Kapu” (forbidden).

Approximately 140 years later many landraces have become extinct due to Operation Green Harvest, which was commenced in the late ‘70s. The federal state and local narcotics officers were wasting taxpayer dollars on robbing the island of pure cannabis gems. There was a great diversity of landrace strains in Hawaii, they were called Kona Gold, Maui Wowie, Puna Buddaz, and Kaua’i Electric, before Operation Green Harvest,

Landrace strains are not “better” than modern strains. They have less diluted DNA. They’re closer to the original wild species than we have available today. Recessive traits show up far more often. When a landrace strain is removed from its indigenous environment and forced to grow elsewhere it has to mature in different growing conditions. In response to those new growing conditions, the plant will exhibit new characteristics. During that transition from the indigenous environment to new growing conditions, some of the characteristics of the original plant will be lost. To get those characteristics back, you’d have to return the plant to its native environment.

If you are breeding, using Landrace genetics is the best possible source.
I think there needs to be context when refering to the 1836 newspaper article. I haven't read it but will look it up. First, just because someone used pakalolo does not mean that it was grown in the islands then, and especially not on a large scale to create a landrace. Opium was widely used when the railroad was being built but no landrace opium poppy strains (to my knowledge) were established in the US. Second, if something was kapu, it was a severee offence and often punishable by death. This would provide a strong incentive not to smoke and especially not to grow cannabis. I am not disputing that there were isolated events of use, which would make sense since Kamehameha had united the islands 26 years earlier and encouraged trade between the kingdom of Hawaii and other sovereign states.

Lolo94

Capt Cook's mate and scientist was known for collecting and dispersing hemp varieties, as most shipping companies and Navies did so each port will have hemp for rigging should a ship need it when docked.
So yes, there would be some hemp cannabis grown on the islands.
However, when BOEL started scoping out the islands for their projects, starting around 1965, they did not report any cannabis there. So, they created their own lines.
Once LSD was outlawed in California, they set up operations in Colorado and Hawaii. Once Colorado outlawed LSD, Hawaii was their mecca.

1967/68 is when they got that one boat to bring shipments from Mexico to Hawaii to breed.
The reason for that was their first couple years on the islands taught them that Colombian-based lines, like Haze, did horribly on the Islands, so they looked to match Hawaii's latitude and decided upon Mexican and Afghan limes as the backbone of their breeding.
For the Jimi Hendrix concert in 69, they had their first line created. They mated their new Mexican x Afghan with their prized lines - Swazi x Thai and Jamaican.
From there, the lines were backcrossed to either Thai, Mexi, or Afghan. The Bx/Outcross to Afghan created the Maui Wowie.
The BOEL Hawaiian I was given to work expresses mostly Oaxacan traits, while line breeding also resulted in Afghan inspired stuff that is very much like BB/Flo. Once in a while, a Swazi dom plant emerges and is usually a creeper pheno - sprawls out along the ground much like that one Zamal that Don Mallard had years ago. Creeper phenos are known to pop up in southern Africans and some Mexis.
In the 60s, there was a much bigger divide between the locals and the new wave of mainland immigrants to Hawaii. A disproportionate number of locals (especially Hawaiians and others on the lower end of the economic scale) were sent to Vietnam. Some returned with cannabis and also seeds that they started growing. Alot were reclusive (due to its isolation, Fern Forest and other areas of Upper Puna were reputed to have alot of Vets). I don't think that the BOEL or other recent mainland migrants would have had contact with this group of growers when they first got to Maui. Most local vets would have dealt with locals in the beginning. From what I was told, a common interest in surfing, is what brought the two groups together and vastly expanded the strains available and growing on the islands.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think there needs to be context when refering to the 1836 newspaper article. I haven't read it but will look it up. First, just because someone used pakalolo does not mean that it was grown in the islands then, and especially not on a large scale to create a landrace. Opium was widely used when the railroad was being built but no landrace opium poppy strains (to my knowledge) were established in the US. Second, if something was kapu, it was a severee offence and often punishable by death. This would provide a strong incentive not to smoke and especially not to grow cannabis. I am not disputing that there were isolated events of use, which would make sense since Kamehameha had united the islands 26 years earlier and encouraged trade between the kingdom of Hawaii and other sovereign states.

It's just an article. I have no clue if it's accurate. I did find it interesting. There's tons of info on Weed in Hawaii. I'm old I was around in 1950. I do have some friends that live there or have lived there. My generation did not advertise about growing weed. It was kept on a very personal level. It is still very hard for any oldtimers to come out about growing weed or talk about it. Most don't. We still have many countries that will put you to death for growing weed. People in those countries still grow it.

This was also part of that article. No clue if this is true. All the people that had 1st hand knowledge about such things are gone or too old to account..

In the ‘60s, Hawaii attracted many hippies, and the local surfing culture was spreading among the Western youth. The local Hawaiians had trust issues with the foreigners. There was a lot of remaining bitterness and suspicion, due to the coup d'état in 1893, when the Hawaiian monarchy was overthrown by the US. Bradda Joseph of Lower Nāhiku, Maui, told a story of the ‘60s summer solstice party. The hippies created a huge psychedelic party in Lower Nāhiku. The locals felt the ganja smoke from miles away. The locals decided to see what was going on. Upon encounter, the hippies didn’t know what was happening, they were scared. The tension was real. Suddenly, the locals brought forward some of their own dank and started sharing it with the hippies. They told them about their long history of marijuana usage. They danced, partied, and had a good time bonding over the sweet Mary Jane. When the hippies toked some of the local ganja, they said “WOW!”, afterward, they went “Wowie, Maui wowie, Maui!”. And that’s the legend behind the name; Maui Wowie.

We do have this post

The first recorded reference to Cannabis in the Hawaiian Islands was published in the Honolulu newspaper Ka Nonanona in 1842, where it was referred to as “pakalolo.”

Last edited:

cola

Pure marketing BS. Just like the pictures that M K. repeatedly posts over and over and over to disuade and distract.

and indeed these hawaiian heirlooms have some common traits... and special vibe to it. and that makes it different to mexican, although fed hawaiian is pretty close to lemony oaxacans for example... but still there is something else, probably from fruity chitral and may be something else.

This is complete BS. I was there growing and lived there since 70's. You have ZERO idea what you're talking about. Since you say there really are Hawaiian cultivers (NOT), why didn't Donald Mallard call his Thai weed Austrailian?

In 1836, a newspaper article in “Ka Nonanona” was published, which told the story of a woman, who fell asleep after toking some sweet Pakalōlō, which resulted in the entire house burning down and killing a couple of people, including children. After this article, the Pakalōlō was coined as “Kapu” (forbidden).

Mind posting the link to this fairytale? And why did the old timers when I get there say NO weed before the 1950's?

As Cola said, there are NO landrace Hawaiian Cultivars.

There is no historical presence of cannabis on the Hawaiian islands.

There is no landrace ever from Hawaii. It is all imported.

This is what one of our more reputable Members posted to inform, who spent a decade+ bringing back Cindy 99.

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
This is complete BS. I was there growing and lived there since 70's. You haveZERO idea what you're talking about. Since you say there really are Hawaiian cultivers (NOT), why didn't Donald Mallard call his Thai weed Austrailian?
because it is not hybridized and when it is hybridized they call it old mother sativa or mullumbimby madness for example... there are only speculation what is within MM and nobody really knows.

you were not anywhere, it is pure bullshit. LOL you want to be interesting only on boards. needs attention LOL and it is question if you ever grew any cannabis at all hahahahaha

yeah, also Good Gear, Ctg or Dirtyboy and other guys from Hawaii like C2K, FlyingHaw, UncleBid or Squiddy were never at Hawaii hahahah, because they call something hawaiian cultivar. and molokai frost was called hawaiian cultivar long before anybody started to sell it and was shared only, so also your bullshit about marketing is completely nonsense.

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
it is known theory that cannabis did spread out from China around the whole world... so now we will call mexican or aghan cultivars a Chinese? dont call it Swazi, it came from China LOL according to super clever cola icmag member??? hahahahhaha what a bullshit? typical poser who needs alternative reality to be interesting.

it is just name "hawaiian" and have some connotations, and some history. it is just name in logic system, so we can agree that instead "hawaiian" we could call "XY", but why when even guys from Hawaii call it hawaiian and everybody knows what hawaiian cultivar means.. that it was cultivated and bred at Hawaiian islands...

and yeah, if some line will be cultivated at Hawaii for more than 100 years, without outcrossing, we can call it hawaiian landrace, just like any landrace. so there are no hawaiian landraces in the moment, but it can change easily in 100 years from now, only 60 - 70 years without outcrossing and Molokai Frost will be hawaiian landrace.

Last edited:

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
The BOEL Hawaiian I was given to work expresses mostly Oaxacan traits, while line breeding also resulted in Afghan inspired stuff that is very much like BB/Flo. Once in a while, a Swazi dom plant emerges and is usually a creeper pheno - sprawls out along the ground much like that one Zamal that Don Mallard had years ago. Creeper phenos are known to pop up in southern Africans and some Mexis.
yeah. so we can call it afghan/oaxacan/swazi, or for simplicity(and because we dont know what exactly is in it) we call it Boel Hawaiian as it was cooked at Hawaii. simply as it is and it has nothing to do with marketing LOL and this line is shared only among friends.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Agreed.

TTX / w89 made a German landrace at one of his plots.
He used American and Dutch bred lines and planted the best of them in one of his spots, allowing them all to open pollinate. Then let those seeds grow out and open pollinate again.
This went on for over a decade.
He said they became their own thing, and thus a German landrace.
I still have a few seeds left. They are all tiny and all identical. They look more like Nepalese/Indian sativa than any G13/Haze hybrids.

If BOEL breeding in Hawaii started around 1968, then by the 80s, Hawaiian definitely was its own thing and ought not be simply called Mexican.

heirloomganja

Pure marketing BS. Just like the pictures that M K. repeatedly posts over and over and over to disuade and distract.

This is complete BS. I was there growing and lived there since 70's.
You lived there but for how long on the Islands? Pic was btw from 1977 BOEL calendar.

cola

if it was mexican or pure thai grown at Hawaii, there would be no need to call it hawaiian. but once it was hybridized at Hawaii, it would be nonsense to call it mexican or thai... and most old school hawaiians, which guys brought from Hawaii and preserved, not further outcrossed at continent, preserved outside of Hawaii - so it escaped CIA operations, are hybrids of mexican or thai with some indicas, @Thcvhunter says there is swazi in Boel Hawaiian too. so thats why we call it hawaiian as it was created, mostly at early 80s, at Hawaii. Molokai Frost was preserved at Hawaii, and it should not be outcrossed from 80s if we should believe the story. it contains good portion of indica.

One guy, one opinion.
Another guy, another opinion.
A third guy, another opinion.

Why don't any of you look up what Landrace is described as in a botanical book or horticultural digest?

In Tibet, where Cannabis likely started, Cannabis was believed to be growing for about 28 MILLION YEARS. That is what Landrace and Landrace Seed is all about.

Ten generations of German Cannabis. Or thirty years for some supposed Hawaiian weed, that ain't.. Get Real.
You should spend your time hypothesizing about something else. UNLESS. Of course, Your're selling it. LOL

They call Seeds from Tibet a Landrace Cannabis, because it has been there a very, very, very long time. Pre-man.
And, like Seed from Ethiopia, before man was even aware of it, or ever walking around on the ground there. At all.

"While the researchers didn't find any Cannabis pollen dating to 28 million years ago, they did find 28-million-year-old pollen from Artemisia, another genus of steppe plant that grew abundantly alongside Cannabis millions of years later. This earliest evidence of Artemisia showed up on the Tibetan Plateau near Qinghai Lake, a location about 10,700 feet (3,260 meters) above sea level.

Using a statistical model, the study authors estimated that since the assembly of plants in that location — including Artemisia — were found with Cannabis in other locations millions of years later, it was likely that Cannabis was also present in this high-altitude ecosystem, even if there was no direct evidence of Cannabis pollen, they wrote in the study.

From the Tibetan Plateau, Cannabis reached Europe approximately 6 million years ago, and spread as far as eastern China by 1.2 million years ago, the scientists reported."

They call HAWAIIAN WEED "HAWAIIAN" because of the beneficial ENVIRONMENT there. The SEEDS and STRAINS came from SOMEWHERE ELSE, and have NOTHINNG to do with if it was grown there. OR NOT. Again, Get Real.

Selling Seed Packets, and calling it HAWAIIAN, is nothing more than A REBRANDING SCHEME TO DECEIVE.
And, if one bad apple does it (i.e. Federation Seeds), it is okay for the rest, right? It is still called the same - FRAUD.

Jails are full of bad actors who hurt or pray on other people. If they did so, is it okay for you? I Think Not. Enuf Said.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Keeping a specific variety isolated is no easy task. The further away from other populations is a must. If you could keep it isolated for 100 years you now have a Landrace cultivar. I would still grow anything that was isolated for 50 years.

cbotany

Veteran
I haven't been really hard core reading this, sorry if someone has suggested this guy but, I'll link this at the bottom, The guys there seem nice I don't get into the whole "aloha deal" but people probably don't like my whole christian deal at times as well, They're nice people :) and If i was looking for hawaiian stuff I'd give them money any day of the week, If i remember correctly some guy in oregon retails their seeds state side. https://puamanaohana.us/

Lolo94

It's just an article. I have no clue if it's accurate. I did find it interesting. There's tons of info on Weed in Hawaii. I'm old I was around in 1950. I do have some friends that live there or have lived there. My generation did not advertise about growing weed. It was kept on a very personal level. It is still very hard for any oldtimers to come out about growing weed or talk about it. Most don't. We still have many countries that will put you to death for growing weed. People in those countries still grow it.

This was also part of that article. No clue if this is true. All the people that had 1st hand knowledge about such things are gone or too old to account..

In the ‘60s, Hawaii attracted many hippies, and the local surfing culture was spreading among the Western youth. The local Hawaiians had trust issues with the foreigners. There was a lot of remaining bitterness and suspicion, due to the coup d'état in 1893, when the Hawaiian monarchy was overthrown by the US. Bradda Joseph of Lower Nāhiku, Maui, told a story of the ‘60s summer solstice party. The hippies created a huge psychedelic party in Lower Nāhiku. The locals felt the ganja smoke from miles away. The locals decided to see what was going on. Upon encounter, the hippies didn’t know what was happening, they were scared. The tension was real. Suddenly, the locals brought forward some of their own dank and started sharing it with the hippies. They told them about their long history of marijuana usage. They danced, partied, and had a good time bonding over the sweet Mary Jane. When the hippies toked some of the local ganja, they said “WOW!”, afterward, they went “Wowie, Maui wowie, Maui!”. And that’s the legend behind the name; Maui Wowie.

We do have this post

The first recorded reference to Cannabis in the Hawaiian Islands was published in the Honolulu newspaper Ka Nonanona in 1842, where it was referred to as “pakalolo.”
Even for growers of my generation, which had to endure Green Harvest, it was difficult to discuss cannabis outside of a trusted circle. Having to hunker down in the forest while helicopters are hovering above looking for your patches can be unsettling.
Thanks for posting the newspaper references.

Lolo94

Another thing to consider is that the same IBL grown in different areas of Hawaii, can easily develop its own traits and could easily become its own IBL over time. I had the chance to try the same strain grown in 3 distinct areas of the Big Island. This wasn't as part of an experiment, just friends growing where they had a spot. The areas were Kawaihae (hot and dry), Hilo (Warm and wet) and upper Puna (more temperate, higher elevation, and wet). Each bud looked different (as expected) and there was also subtle differences in the high and taste. The Kawaihae bud was the tightest and smallest. The Hilo bud was the biggest but looser. The upper Puna was loose and small. The Hilo bud was the tastiest (fruitiest). although similar in high, the upper Puna bud was the strongest (no just grower bias, since we all agreed)

heirloomganja

Coffee is grown in Hawaii, but its origin lays somewhere else too from Brazilian cuttings.We can go back even further to Yemen, where it all begun with the coffee. Now its time for ☕

Screenshot_20240218-124521_Drive.jpg

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
mindblower, very hawaiian haze. I like hawaiian haze as special category of haze hybrid. it is different to mexican haze or to afghanhaze. and I believe that every sativa lover should try good hawaiian haze at least once a life. I am happy that I can share genetics like Kona Gold or PakiThai which came from Hawaii with other people. I shared bunch of seeds with guys from Hamakua, their results are great! haze can boost and awake old sativa genetics in hawaiian heirlooms, all in all very intensive experience.

full

full

full

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes, I love my Coffee..

We had the same BS going on in Cali with OP green harvest. Many of the old lines were lost because of it. Ive found getting Landraces direct from other countries is the best option. I could see a difference in any Landrace seeds people had in Cali vs seeds direct from people in other countries(NOT A SEED BANK). To be honest the best of these genetics came outside of the USA.

Last edited:

HarleyJammer

Veteran
When i think of Hawaiian Sativa the first thing that comes to my mind is Federations version, which is used to produce Mountain Gold from Green Mountain Seeds. Very enjoyable smoke. Ive ran it twice with great success and the Hawaiian sativa influence is outstanding

High Rob.

I have a few Mountain Gold in veg now. I have 2 phenos -- a squatty shorter internode and 2 longer nodes.. Would I be mistaken to think the squatty is the Kona Gold and the longer internode Oaxacan?

RobFromTX

High Rob.

I have a few Mountain Gold in veg now. I have 2 phenos -- a squatty shorter internode and 2 longer nodes.. Would I be mistaken to think the squatty is the Kona Gold and the longer internode Oaxacan?

My dude i have no idea. I found the 6 females i ran were all very managable for sativas and were very alike in looks and structure. And the smells were fantastic. like cotton candy. VTman would be able to answer that for sure

cola

Upon someone sending me a link of what the BOEL was "Brotherhood of Eternal Love" I remembered it being called the Brotherhood or BEL. Maybe someone after the fact, not in the know, decided to rename it BOEL.

Regardless, I have included a link to a webpage discussing how Maui Wowie got to the islands, and what the genetics consisted of. Not so surprisingly, as I previously discussed, the vast majority of the seeds that made it there came from a boat load of several tons of smuggled select head stash weed from Mexico, about or just prior to 1970.

There was also a small amount of Afghan seed that apparently made it there, via smuggled hash with seeds still intact in it (not uncommon). Some of this was apparently bred together with the Mexican that the Brotherhood had brought there before, that resulted in an an uber strong combination originating in Kula. Likely rare indeed today.

Later on the Vietnam vets brought back SE Asian strains. A few got off the plane in Hawaii and stayed. Not many.

The predominant landrace strain that comes from Hawaii are from Mexico. Zero Hawaiian. It is Mexican seed.

An extensive documentation of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love activities is linked here: BEL HISTORY

Last edited: