What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

Looking for Landrace Hawaiian Sativa

Lolo94

It's interesting that the newspaper makes something kapu in 1836, when king Liholiho and queen Kaahumanu had officially ended the kapu system in 1819. By the way, kapu does not just mean forbidden or to be used for no trespassing signs. It was the traditional social structure. The hawaiian language was oral and was not written until it was put to paper by the missionaries in 1820. What was written in the newspaper in 1836 as pakalolo being Kapu, is more akin to missionary propaganda vs what Hawaiian law under the kapu system forbade.

Rastafarout

Sir Joseph Banks is responsible for spreading Pakalōlō seeds all over the world!

As the British Empire expanded in the 1700’s, the bounties and treasures of the world were brought back from the four corners of the earth, not the least of which was bud and hash of Indian Hemp, a.k.a Cannabis Indica. The sailors enjoyed smoking it and one intellectual nobleman enjoyed the heady effects so much he made it his mission to spread cannabis seed worldwide.

Enter one Sir Joseph Banks, nobleman, prodigy botanist, world explorer, and cannabis grower extraordinaire. To some he is founder of Australia (there are some theories that claim he founded Australia specifically in order to cultivate cannabis) hero of the British Empire, he is trusted botanist to King George III and his family, as well as a procurer of fine hashish for Coleridge and the Romantic Poets, as discovered through personal letters.

In 1769, as a young stoner, and the official botanist, he sailed with Captain Cook on his first voyage. In Tahiti, to his more conservative crew’s dismay, he stripped down and celebrated with the locals, participating in local customs and ritual. They took him in as one of their own.

Could the high quality hash and Pakalōlō seeds he brought to share, barter and trade with have had something to do with his popularity with the locals?

By 1789 he was the head botanist in the British Empire, the man responsible for choosing which seeds were valuable for trade and propagation, and he made sure cannabis seeds were on every ship, a plant of strategic importance to spread to every colony, both the tall lanky Sativa used for canvas and rope as well as the short stout smelly Indica variety used for medicine and recreation.

Lolo94

Something that needs to be understood about Ohana is that it is different from what is common considered family in the western sense. Ohana as applied to Hawaiian and later local families is an extended family. Not only were immediate families very large (especially before land prices got ridiculous in the 70's or so), but the Ohana was an extended family including 2nd or 3rd cousins and possibly beyond if you were raised with each other. In some cases people were also hanai'd (informal adoption process common in old Hawaii). Depending on the size of the family, Local family reunions can include people from all the islands (Niihau typically being the exception). Alot of things were passed through the coconut wireless a.k.a talkin story. In lieu of the recent AI flubs, context is important when doing queries.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Sounds interesting.

Exactly my point. The more ridiculous the lie, the more rabidly people believe it, and ignore obvious truth.

Realize that whoever wrote that was paid what, $50 or something. Content doesn't just appear like magic, it has to be created. My bullshit detector is way more sensitive than others, for some reason. Being a lifelong atheist probably helps.

It's not difficult. The first issue was printed July 6, 1841.

Only a full text link was provided to every issue. But that doesn't fit anyone's narrative, only the truth. No one gives a fuck about facts. The majority wants to be told a fake story, fervently believe in it, spread the gospel, kill the nonbelievers.

Rastafarout

Bro keeps those pants on …it’s a discussion … I just thought that was interesting and uploaded ..
Doesn’t mean I believe it or any other without proof….if you see any of my posts I’m strictly about provenance.
You must be the Hawaii expert ?

Lolo94

The Durban pro/springbok/ hippy surfers
doing their seasonal North shore tours is 100% how the Swaz ended up in Hawaii ..
That assessment seems true. I was told that it came from surfers. The person I got it from said he had it since the early 80s and another poster mentioned its existence in lower Puna since the late 70s. If all Island reproduced Swazis were from the same. cultivar, then the BOEL introduced it to Maui even earlier.

Rastafarout

Boel got it from hynson vai surfers …vai the Endless Summer movie …when the travelling to shoot it , and hooking up with South Africans , hippy surfers
That’s my research

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Bro keeps those pants on …it’s a discussion … I just thought that was interesting and uploaded ..
Doesn’t mean I believe it or any other without proof….if you see any of my posts I’m strictly about provenance.
You must be the Hawaii expert ?

Do people need to put disclaimers on their posts which quote you, saying "Just because you're being quoted doesn't mean that the post is about YOU"?

No need for any such explanation here though, this one does revolve around you.

Rastafarout

No I’m talking about your attitude effing and blinding …all that bluster doesn’t make you any more special
On another note so you say the paper didn’t exist then that’s interesting didn’t know that so that story ,had red flags ?

Last edited:

Lolo94

Endless summer and surfing hippies predate Boel …
Thanks for the research. I wasn't aware of the link. I did watch the movie once. I think it's a classic for anyone who surfs or surfed. If the Swazi, can be dated back to the movie, then maybe in 30 years or so (if I'm still alive) and still have the strain, I'll claim to have a Hawaiian landrace. Just kidding.

Rastafarout

Yeah the waves are insane , Bruce’s beauties was standout ! I probably can find proof waiting on a friend , wow you’ve held her long what’s the profile on that one , such an enjoyable stone

Rastafarout

@Lolo94 don’t think many people realise how important Endless summer was … it was at the forefront of the counter culture
If you could somehow contact
Robert August or Mike Hynson ..
the main characters I see they still Alive… legends !
So it could be verified who/when

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMO the reason why the weed was so good back then was the genetics at that time were not polluted with garbage. Those that did grow at that time found gems in the seeds they made. It's why we don't see that kind of quality often today. Hawaiian weed was always some of the best. Today those gems are no more. The GOV took its toll on what quality cannabis was really like.. Those original genetics would crush most of the "quality" we see today.

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Upon someone sending me a link of what the BOEL was "Brotherhood of Eternal Love" I remembered it being called the Brotherhood or BEL. Maybe someone after the fact, not in the know, decided to rename it BOEL.

Regardless, I have included a link to a webpage discussing how Maui Wowie got to the islands, and what the genetics consisted of. Not so surprisingly, as I previously discussed, the vast majority of the seeds that made it there came from a boat load of several tons of smuggled select head stash weed from Mexico, about or just prior to 1970.

There was also a small amount of Afghan seed that apparently made it there, via smuggled hash with seeds still intact in it (not uncommon). Some of this was apparently bred together with the Mexican that the Brotherhood had brought there before, that resulted in an an uber strong combination originating in Kula. Likely rare indeed today.

Later on the Vietnam vets brought back SE Asian strains. A few got off the plane in Hawaii and stayed. Not many.

The predominant landrace strain that comes from Hawaii are from Mexico. Zero Hawaiian. It is Mexican seed.

An extensive documentation of the Brotherhood of Eternal Love activities is linked here: BEL HISTORY
If you read my posts here, i describe exactly the strains they used.

cola

Once again, not interested in bursting anyone's bubbles, but there is no proof that Captain Cook brought any Cannabis seeds to plant in Hawaii whatsoever. That is folklore that someone invented, with no history to back it up.

The fact is that on Cook's voyages to Hawaii, the renowned "hemp botanist", Joseph Banks, was not on board.
The reason being he had complained about his lodgings, etc, so was denied permission by the British Admiralty.

So, the so called "hemp botanist" never made it to Hawaii. At all. Maybe there was hemp on board. No one knows.

There is zero historical evidence of Cook disseminating hemp seeds in Hawaii, or of gifting to the Hawaiian Royalty.

Here is a link describing the life and travels of the renowned "hemp botanist:" : Joseph Bank's - Botanist History

Last edited: