What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

jikko77

@kondense: mouser had them in stock.

@Dion: yeah i've read it as well, but i still don't get why :)
he said his plant took 170 microwatt measured from that instrument on a sativa strain.
i should have 0.3w mq.
300000 microwatt?
mine is a indica dominat strain.
how this regolate the exposure? no idea.

scarecrow33

Veteran
I'm a bit lazy this time of year, checking out to get a Mw ELG-C driver in europe but seems I'm unable to locate a seller in EU. Can anyone help with first hand infos?
Damn, I feel quite bad for asking this:)

hi koondense, check on tme maybe you can find something there

un saluto

bpwilly

Well, Had to post to show the LED light I managed to finally assemble based on the support I got from Dion and the good folks on this list. I figured by the time I get this built, it would be out of date, but what the heck. It is a learning experience for me.

Anyway, the specs are 12 Vero29 COBs at 3500K using 12 Alpine CPU coolers and being powered by 3 HLG-185H-C1050 drivers.

I did use 3 separate dimmers (1 for each power supply) as I was not sure if I could link them all together and use one. But it seems to be working, if a little more complicated than I would like.

Special thanks the Dion for the help and advice.
:woohoo:

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks for the help brothaz.
I always thought mouser is a US company and ordering there means paying import taxes...seems they have a DE based dispatcher for EU. Is this right?

Hello all,
I'm 64 and live in the Appalachian mtns of NC. Reading thru the last 10 pages here and you boys were talking about a COB ...well we only gots one use for a COB here and it's for outside.
Anyway I was looking for a mention of the Perfect sun 1000
http://www.perfectsunled.com/perfect-sun-1000
hoping to confirm or debunk the great claims made by the seller/inventor in the video. I also read all the pages on his grow journal and his buddy thebeast's journal where they slap each other on the back a lot.
Both grows are with Autos which are not my style but I figured they wanted a quick result so they went with Autos.
So I just wondered if some of you smart fellers would be willing to check it out and report back here with what you think.
The price including 48 states shipping is $895 but he recommends an additional $250 for a light mover and special adapter for his gear. He claims that will do 4x8 and use only 570 watts.
So is it the real deal and Winner Winner Chicken Dinner or a bunch a hype?

Dion

Thanks for the help brothaz.
I always thought mouser is a US company and ordering there means paying import taxes...seems they have a DE based dispatcher for EU. Is this right?

they charge vat at checkout so u dont have to deal with the delivery ass hole

just load up your cart and click check out, u will see

Sante

In DoPa
Hi again! Another stupid question...taking asexample a hlg185H-C,1400, you can see that it is 93% efficent load at 50% and 94 % drive at 100%...it seems realy good but i m not sure to understand.

Thats because in driver description i read 700 ~ 1400mA asCURRENTADJ. RANGE.
For me 700ma is 50% and 1.4A 100%..whit a 37v cob this mean between 26w a d 51w.
(Ish because we now as effective voltage and relative power depend also from temperature range operation).

Now the question is about dimming function.

Pasting from driver datasheet i read:

"dimming function (for B-Type)Output constant current level can be adjusted by applying one of the three methodologies between DIM+ and DIM-:1 ~ 10VDC, or 10V PWM signal or resistance.Direct connecting to LEDs is suggested. It is not suitablewith additional drivers.to be usedDimming source current from power supply: 10A(typ.)"

Type A has internal potentiometer and i don t know which above the three dimming options it is.
For me is not easy to understand What does mean use 10% of power?

10% of what?
10% of 1.4A should be 140mA and 10% of 0,7A should be 70mA...isn't it?
This seems to be no sense if driver CURRENT ADJ. RANGE is 700 ~ 1400mA.

I know, i'm confused a lot, it s not easy for me to understand and leanguage issues doesn't make things easier!

Last edited:
Hello all,
I'm 64 and live in the Appalachian mtns of NC. Reading thru the last 10 pages here and you boys were talking about a COB ...well we only gots one use for a COB here and it's for outside.
Anyway I was looking for a mention of the Perfect sun 1000
http://www.perfectsunled.com/perfect-sun-1000
hoping to confirm or debunk the great claims made by the seller/inventor in the video. I also read all the pages on his grow journal and his buddy thebeast's journal where they slap each other on the back a lot.
Both grows are with Autos which are not my style but I figured they wanted a quick result so they went with Autos.
So I just wondered if some of you smart fellers would be willing to check it out and report back here with what you think.
The price including 48 states shipping is $895 but he recommends an additional $250 for a light mover and special adapter for his gear. He claims that will do 4x8 and use only 570 watts.
So is it the real deal and Winner Winner Chicken Dinner or a bunch a hype?

It's a POS. You can build a great light for 900$. There is no 570 watt lamp that can flower 32ft. sq. Light mover my ass.

The idiots who wrote that page you linked have so many typos it looks like Nigerian Prince shit.

Check out the tutorials by green genes and grow mau on you tube

Look up some of those kits like Timber & Cutter.

http://timbergrowlights.com/grow-light-kits/

http://www.rollitup.org/t/diy-led-grow-lights-with-cree-cxa3070-cobs-and-cpu-coolers.805681/

https://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut2900

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtlHTaWsGn4

Koondense

Veteran
I'll rather get a HLG-120-1400 instead of ELG-150-1400, it costs more but with shipping(full price) I save some euros. Mouser charges 20€ for shipping, way too much.
Also the HLG120 seems to have better efficency by around 2% at full power, which is only a bonus + it has a ground wire! :)
Funny how I knew all the specs by memory around a year ago when I was getting parts for my lights, now I remember only basic specs, most other info is forgotten.
Must smoke a bit less:)

Koondense

Veteran
Well, neverforget neiled it pretty bluntly.

My addition would be, if you want to buy a finished product(and live in US), go check Tasty leds or PacificLightConcepts. Otherwise there are many DIY options for best p/p or other criteria.
Even light spread + lst/scrog and you're done.

Thanks Koon,
I am definitely a finished product buyer and the dream was to lower heat and eliminate light cooling fans and equipment costs.
Honestly can LED compete with HPS for yield and costs?

funnyface

Can someone suggest me a setup for 4x4ft (1.2Mx1.2M) tent in which I would usually put 600HPS for a SOG environment?

EDIT: My budget is flexible, so I guess 4,6,8 COBs could go in this setup, but would NOT want to go over the board with spending the funds.

Im mainly into LEDs for efficiency. Which COB is in the lead now ? Vero, CREE or Citizen ?

Im in EU Schengen zone btw.

scarecrow33

Veteran
Can someone suggest me a setup for 4x4ft (1.2Mx1.2M) tent in which I would usually put 600HPS for a SOG environment?

EDIT: My budget is flexible, so I guess 4,6,8 COBs could go in this setup, but would NOT want to go over the board with spending the funds.

Im mainly into LEDs for efficiency. Which COB is in the lead now ? Vero, CREE or Citizen ?

Im in EU Schengen zone btw.

DIY LED basics : common configurations for your grow space by growmau5
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fxcgF1FLCM

cheers

funnyface

Tnx, Ive seen that tutorial once already, but I've checked it now, once again. I like that 12 COBs per 4x4 idea.

Little pricey, but quite massive looking. That being said, 3590 costs cca 50€ on eBay and Vero 29 gen7 D costs 38€. I guess that Vero is a way to go at this point.