What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I do not know why it is so lame for you. Maybe since different language. Look in my albums, in my profile.

Be well!!

Looks like you saved them at very low resolutions like thumbnails, I can't see them either after I downloaded them.

mufafa

Would running 8x Vero 29s via 2x HLG 240H @1400mA be too much for 2x4? Looking to replace the 400W HPS I have with COBs to give me super even spread over my area.

I'm trying to find a good compromise between canopy penetration and spread especially since I don't have much height available. My HPS stays 12-14" from canopy with no heat issues but I'm worried COBs can't be that close. Open to suggestions!

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
Would running 8x Vero 29s via 2x HLG 240H @1400mA be too much for 2x4? Looking to replace the 400W HPS I have with COBs to give me super even spread over my area.

I'm trying to find a good compromise between canopy penetration and spread especially since I don't have much height available. My HPS stays 12-14" from canopy with no heat issues but I'm worried COBs can't be that close. Open to suggestions!

I am just an idiot, but 4 of those, run at 90 watts each would be overkill. These new Vero's are state of the art, and best value.

I plan on replacing 2 X 600 HPS for 4' X 8' tent. Will be 8 X 90 watt, which the new Vero's can do. So 4 for your's is overkill, and will need to be dimmed, which is built into most power supplies.

mufafa

I am just an idiot, but 4 of those, run at 90 watts each would be overkill. These new Vero's are state of the art, and best value.

I plan on replacing 2 X 600 HPS for 4' X 8' tent. Will be 8 X 90 watt, which the new Vero's can do. So 4 for your's is overkill, and will need to be dimmed, which is built into most power supplies.

Is my math wrong? I thought 4x Vero's per 240h would give me 52w per cob. Fv @1400ma is 37.2 so 1.4x that 52.1w. And of course I do plan to dim between ~1050 - 1400 as needed so a range of ~38-52w per cob.

Dion

Those kits were 416 US dollars or 600 Australian dollars, and were running at 90 watts each. Is that still a bad deal? Shipping is a bit high. $211 for 4 kits to USA. Thanks for the reply!!

yeah i know, I'm talking australian dollars, so about 30% cheaper as per my suggestion.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
On another thread, someone said LED's were no good because they lack UVB. How many watts of UVB per square foot, would be needed to supplement an LED light????

XRM

yeah i know, I'm talking australian dollars, so about 30% cheaper as per my suggestion.

Dion thanks for the great thread

I need to add sum prob vero 18's about 4 of em? and dimmable driver prob will be that guy and run em alil hard for awhile and in a month or 2 if possible add sum more cobbs. but could use a hand finding the right cobbs and driver/ drivers. Will be to used for a flower time boost more then likely later again with bigger cobbs

there are decent 25xx chips etc etc but idk one ya get the holders n shit n trying to get mostly at one place to save shipping gets harder etc may consider even a setup of less chips of bigger series ... but this is a lumen hunt at the moment not a efficiency hunt :D

Kwigybo

What a great thread. Made for very interesting reading. Really making the decision between the 315 cmh and a cob array very difficult. I've been very impressed with how far LED's have come in the last few years.

Dion

Dion thanks for the great thread

I need to add sum prob vero 18's about 4 of em? and dimmable driver prob will be that guy and run em alil hard for awhile and in a month or 2 if possible add sum more cobbs. but could use a hand finding the right cobbs and driver/ drivers. Will be to used for a flower time boost more then likely later again with bigger cobbs

there are decent 25xx chips etc etc but idk one ya get the holders n shit n trying to get mostly at one place to save shipping gets harder etc may consider even a setup of less chips of bigger series ... but this is a lumen hunt at the moment not a efficiency hunt :D

yes thats exactly why you should run them in parallel.

I usually have about 5 convos going here, in other forums and via inbox so pls forgive me i have no idea what size ur garden is.

last time i looked at the data sheet for the vero 18 gen 7 i was not very impressed....cant remember exactly, i think that they just were not too efficient and by the time i added the price of the extras(TIM, holders, reflectors ect) it didn't make financial sense to use them

for the lumen hunt the vero29 is what you want... absolute cheap cheap way use the 'A' version of any HLG 36volt driver. The A version means no external dimming, but it also gives u extra volts to play with which will cover the 37-39v that the vero 29 need.

so you rig em up in parallel and the current of the driver is divided by the number of chips, more chips you use less current to each one, becomes more and more efficient as you add cobs onto the driver.

you could even start running them at 100w each and put a pc fan on the heatsink, then add a few more until you get to around 80w each, and in this case dont need the fan.

PetFlora

ICMag Donor
Veteran
What a great thread. Made for very interesting reading. Really making the decision between the 315 cmh and a cob array very difficult. I've been very impressed with how far LED's have come in the last few years.

Bulbs are omnidirectional, whereas LEDs direct 100% of their light to the canopy

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
On another thread, someone said LED's were no good because they lack UVB. How many watts of UVB per square foot, would be needed to supplement an LED light????

Ya, "no good".

picture.php

XRM

yes thats exactly why you should run them in parallel.

I usually have about 5 convos going here, in other forums and via inbox so pls forgive me i have no idea what size ur garden is.

last time i looked at the data sheet for the vero 18 gen 7 i was not very impressed....cant remember exactly, i think that they just were not too efficient and by the time i added the price of the extras(TIM, holders, reflectors ect) it didn't make financial sense to use them

for the lumen hunt the vero29 is what you want... absolute cheap cheap way use the 'A' version of any HLG 36volt driver. The A version means no external dimming, but it also gives u extra volts to play with which will cover the 37-39v that the vero 29 need.

so you rig em up in parallel and the current of the driver is divided by the number of chips, more chips you use less current to each one, becomes more and more efficient as you add cobs onto the driver.

you could even start running them at 100w each and put a pc fan on the heatsink, then add a few more until you get to around 80w each, and in this case dont need the fan.

at this point im just looking to get a few small cobs for sum extra supplemental lighting. I do plan on cooling em have a buncha fans and coolers already pretty much everything other than cobs, drivers or much to spend. Reason i was looking at veros more over like a 25xx is so i didn't need to get holders and wasnt to worried about reflectors either, but the wire connectors looks like a nice option. I havea 40"x40" and a plant next to it each could use alil more light another reason im looking at more 10$ cobs v a couple 20$ cobs with the very limited budget at the moment for this supplemental lighy build.
by spring i prob will be reorganizing, splitting things up and adding a nice size cobb sys.

trying to explain best I can, I often have a hard time getting my thoughts out thru these head injuries and constant migraines. I'm Trying to get the most out of these ladys as they help more then anything else! last round has been gone this time there way larger which is good but the lights just arent enough nor getting the penetration good ladys need :biggrin:

Dion

at this point im just looking to get a few small cobs for sum extra supplemental lighting. I do plan on cooling em have a buncha fans and coolers already pretty much everything other than cobs, drivers or much to spend. Reason i was looking at veros more over like a 25xx is so i didn't need to get holders and wasnt to worried about reflectors either, but the wire connectors looks like a nice option. I havea 40"x40" and a plant next to it each could use alil more light another reason im looking at more 10$ cobs v a couple 20$ cobs with the very limited budget at the moment for this supplemental lighy build.
by spring i prob will be reorganizing, splitting things up and adding a nice size cobb sys.

trying to explain best I can, I often have a hard time getting my thoughts out thru these head injuries and constant migraines. I'm Trying to get the most out of these ladys as they help more then anything else! last round has been gone this time there way larger which is good but the lights just arent enough nor getting the penetration good ladys need :biggrin:

yeah I'm moving to vero for that reason too now that the efficiency is just as good

40x40cm?

then just take a single vero29 with a 50w chinese driver and whack it on a pc cooler

EDIT: oh i see the inches there... so thats..... 1m2

well then there is no sense in using the vero 18 at all....

whats ur question exactly?

XRM

one or 2 29's would add supplemental / satellite lighting around 4) 5- 6' plants in 2) areas ( others are right outside tent) never expected these autos to get near this big n bushy.

and with the very limited budget right now i cant afford 4-6) 20 - 50$ cobs much less the driver.

4-6) 10$ ones I prob can scrape together & it should add enough to help these plants bud out nicely.

one pf the reasons the vero18's caught my attention is ive seen people using them and places have then for around 8$ or so think it was digikey or mouser has like 30 different ones. I could get a hps but then i constantly be running the ac hard and as well as they penetrate i dont think i would get the light around as well as 4-6 cobbs.

ive only got so far into looking i set my constant migraines into overdrive alil before christmas looking again and trying to think about all this. before i smahed my head i prob could have figured everything and prob would have also had the $ to just buy the 3590's and build a nice setup.

3, maybe 4 vero 9's may give me the spread they need but i havent seen any that are 20$ and i guesstimated the 4-6 18's (or 25xx crees) @8-10$ + that meanwell many use is around 60$ + a couple incidentals = around 150$ im gunna try to squeeze outta my broke butt to make sure our med harvest is nice so we can move for the next few months I'm not sure of any better way to do it? I'm over on gc more and have pics n stuff havent even figured out how to turn on notifications or send a pm hear yet.
which is scary since many moons ago i setup ran forums, and before the net BBS's head injury and a tbi can really mess you up.