What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Then you will have lots of light in the middle of the space, just under the panel, and not enaugh on the sides..
Why do you want to go with that, pure aestethics? Cost? Making your goals and budget clear would make it easier to get good input on your plan.

welder22

Yes I'm on a budget would like to keep it under $200, and this is for 4 scrogged ladies. Want enough to last and only have to have 2 cycles a year. The reason I like the big heatsink is cause if the fans fail I want to be able to still run things, maybe that won't work with my choice I'm not for sure but that's why I like the big sink.

Dion

Yes I'm on a budget would like to keep it under $200, and this is for 4 scrogged ladies. Want enough to last and only have to have 2 cycles a year. The reason I like the big heatsink is cause if the fans fail I want to be able to still run things, maybe that won't work with my choice I'm not for sure but that's why I like the big sink.

better do 2 heatsinks each just over 2 ft long

so you will have a cob perfectly over each sq ft

i ran it through the spreadsheet and this one

u could do 4x 16"bars of this

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/2-079-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/

with two cobs on each bar also with the same spread

and tahts only 20ish bucks

pr for 2 bars

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/4-850-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/

is the cheapest that can handle your heat load( and it does it easily)

so 26'of this is $25.48 get 2 bars and run 4 cobs on each bar

if u want to use the one u suggested i can put it in the sheet i just dont have it in there so cant say now if it will work

but as positivity mentioned ur spread will suffer

id go with the cheapest option(coz im cheap like that )

so estimate 30 bucks for heatsinks once its said and done- where r we with the budget now?

oh so like 65 bucks for the driver

8x vero 18s are 100( bit less so throw some screws and thermal grease in teh digi bag to get free shipping)

u already have fans- wire u will need get it local for a few bucks

u got a driver (old phone charger for the fan? yes u do)

so thats less than 200 bucks

not bad

jikko77

HELLO! :tiphat:
may i asks you what do you think on this setup:

CXB3070-0000-000N0HAB30G
1: € 34,75

LPC-60-1400

Oscuramento graduale: Without Dimming
Potenza di uscita: 59 W
Tensione di ingresso: 90 VAC to 264 VAC, 127 VDC to 370 VDC
Numero di uscite: 1 Output
Tensione di uscita - Canale 1: 9 VDC to 42 VDC
Corrente di uscita - Canale 1: 1.4 A

1: € 19,11

design:
low price
mobility, each led on a different heatsink (i own some pentium iii or iv heatsink and some other wich should be alot above 60w)
flexybility, since each one is independent i can just add more if is needed

any input is higly welcome :)

welder22

better do 2 heatsinks each just over 2 ft long

so you will have a cob perfectly over each sq ft

i ran it through the spreadsheet and this one

u could do 4x 16"bars of this

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/2-079-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/

with two cobs on each bar also with the same spread

and tahts only 20ish bucks

pr for 2 bars

http://www.heatsinkusa.com/4-850-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/

is the cheapest that can handle your heat load( and it does it easily)

so 26'of this is $25.48 get 2 bars and run 4 cobs on each bar

if u want to use the one u suggested i can put it in the sheet i just dont have it in there so cant say now if it will work

but as positivity mentioned ur spread will suffer

id go with the cheapest option(coz im cheap like that )

so estimate 30 bucks for heatsinks once its said and done- where r we with the budget now?

oh so like 65 bucks for the driver

8x vero 18s are 100( bit less so throw some screws and thermal grease in teh digi bag to get free shipping)

u already have fans- wire u will need get it local for a few bucks

u got a driver (old phone charger for the fan? yes u do)

so thats less than 200 bucks

not bad

Heck yea that's awesome I think I will go with the 4 bar option. One more quick question where would be the best place to mount the blues, in the middle I'm guessing? Or should I just say screw it cause I won't be able to get very even coverage with them. Reason for the blue is everything is gonna take place in the same tent from seed to harvest, trying to simplify things as much as possible. You are awesome for all the help and advice you have given me dion hope I can return he favor some day.

Dion

Heck yea that's awesome I think I will go with the 4 bar option. One more quick question where would be the best place to mount the blues, in the middle I'm guessing? Or should I just say screw it cause I won't be able to get very even coverage with them. Reason for the blue is everything is gonna take place in the same tent from seed to harvest, trying to simplify things as much as possible. You are awesome for all the help and advice you have given me dion hope I can return he favor some day.

well seen as u are being a tight arse(lol jokes) and running it all off the same driver.... hahaha

nah mate the driver has dimming so just get 3500K and dim during veg

if u want to use blue-isher(just coz thats how u roll) i respect it
then yeah in the mid? but with 1 cob per sq ft where is the mid?

a few notes on this desighn before you buy

1you will need a fan per bar(those calculations are for active cooling) if u want to do passive ill get back to you on that

2if the fans die you will not toast ur cobs but def cook them a little and they will die in a few wekks/days of passive

3if u go this way instead of the pc cooler those heatsinks will not handle a few hundred watts so u will have to get pc sinks later if u upgrade( but its a good time to change the driver on this build for a more efficient one and use the one now for the next build)

what driver u gonna use buddy? i cant think of a single driver that will run all these above 1050mA for less than 200 bucks

i think u may just be better going for like 16 vero 13s and split a HLG-185H-C700 into 2 strings

would be ....wow cheaper and more efficenct

will double check my numbers but you should do it first(sinks will stay the same) thn u need 1x above mentioned driver

like 65 bucks for the driver
30 bucks for sinks
16 vero 13s=110

you could even run more

i gotta double check al lthat no time now

meeko01

this is phresh

this is phresh

i do have a question maybe i overlooked it in the 42 pages but your original concept does it still need to be kept 12-18 inches away? right now i got 16 cfls and its ok my space is 24"L by18"w by 31"h i have a ventilator fan above the lights so really i have like 15 inches pot to bulb i was thinking this would give me both more room and better results any ideas?

Dion

i do have a question maybe i overlooked it in the 42 pages but your original concept does it still need to be kept 12-18 inches away? right now i got 16 cfls and its ok my space is 24"L by18"w by 31"h i have a ventilator fan above the lights so really i have like 15 inches pot to bulb i was thinking this would give me both more room and better results any ideas?

depends what cob you use

but 6 icnhes is plenty in most micro set-ups

check the sig for micro builds

welder22

well seen as u are being a tight arse(lol jokes) and running it all off the same driver.... hahaha

nah mate the driver has dimming so just get 3500K and dim during veg

if u want to use blue-isher(just coz thats how u roll) i respect it
then yeah in the mid? but with 1 cob per sq ft where is the mid?

a few notes on this desighn before you buy

1you will need a fan per bar(those calculations are for active cooling) if u want to do passive ill get back to you on that

2if the fans die you will not toast ur cobs but def cook them a little and they will die in a few wekks/days of passive

3if u go this way instead of the pc cooler those heatsinks will not handle a few hundred watts so u will have to get pc sinks later if u upgrade( but its a good time to change the driver on this build for a more efficient one and use the one now for the next build)

what driver u gonna use buddy? i cant think of a single driver that will run all these above 1050mA for less than 200 bucks

i think u may just be better going for like 16 vero 13s and split a HLG-185H-C700 into 2 strings

would be ....wow cheaper and more efficenct

will double check my numbers but you should do it first(sinks will stay the same) thn u need 1x above mentioned driver

like 65 bucks for the driver
30 bucks for sinks
16 vero 13s=110

you could even run more

i gotta double check al lthat no time now

Yea I'd like to see the numbers for passive sinks please. And for the driver I think I wanna just go ahead and spend the money on a meanwell, I'll check tomorrow and run numbers for 18's and 13's and get back with you on what I come up with. I'll stop being stubborn and just run the 3500k too lol.

meeko01

depends what cob you use

but 6 icnhes is plenty in most micro set-ups

check the sig for micro builds

thanks man that parts been driving me nuts for a while hieght seems to stay my biggest problem im looking to flower 9 plant sog in there oh the decisions decisions now if i could just pick a cob im not going to lie I have been up to my ears in led misrepresentations and this was the clearest most informed post at least for how I understand things I still kinda feel like its aramaic but im muddling through lol thanks again

Dion

Yea I'd like to see the numbers for passive sinks please. And for the driver I think I wanna just go ahead and spend the money on a meanwell, I'll check tomorrow and run numbers for 18's and 13's and get back with you on what I come up with. I'll stop being stubborn and just run the 3500k too lol.

ok sure so for the 8x vero 18 at silly inificent currents or 16 vero 13s and split a HLG-185H-C700 into 2 strings

for an decent spread in a 2x4.....
we would need......

so the 2.8 cools 10.9 heatwatts per ft passive($3.84-so 2.831 per $)
the 4.85 cools 24.43 heatwatts per ft($11.76- so 2.07 per $)

at 350mA(the 700 in 2 strings) the vero 13s will be 10.85w and 42.75% eff so about 6.2 heat watts per cob)
\at

dude i lost my focus....sorry

um whats the question?

anyway dude you got 2 possible set ups and 3 possible heatsink combos u want me to calcualte it takes a while to work all that out and i dont have the time now

figure out ur chip,then match ur driver ,then find ur cooling

its the ABCs of DIY LED

this back and forth is too much head ache

plus im starting up a store selling all these kinda kits so im a bit busy designing a 93CRI aquarium kit right now

dont mean to be a dick but yeah wish i could just upload the spread sheet so u could punch in all the numbers

Last edited:

welder22

ok sure so for the 8x vero 18 at silly inificent currents or 16 vero 13s and split a HLG-185H-C700 into 2 strings

for an decent spread in a 2x4.....
we would need......

so the 2.8 cools 10.9 heatwatts per ft passive($3.84-so 2.831 per $)
the 4.85 cools 24.43 heatwatts per ft($11.76- so 2.07 per $)

at 350mA(the 700 in 2 strings) the vero 13s will be 10.85w and 42.75% eff so about 6.2 heat watts per cob)
\at

dude i lost my focus....sorry

um whats the question?

anyway dude you got 2 possible set ups and 3 possible heatsink combos u want me to calcualte it takes a while to work all that out and i dont have the time now

figure out ur chip,then match ur driver ,then find ur cooling

its the ABCs of DIY LED

this back and forth is too much head ache

plus im starting up a store selling all these kinda kits so im a bit busy designing a 93CRI aquarium kit right now

dont mean to be a dick but yeah wish i could just upload the spread sheet so u could punch in all the numbers

It's cool dude I'll figure it out thanks for the help and good luck with the store. Sorry for the headache, your not being a dick I understand.

Dion

It's cool dude I'll figure it out thanks for the help and good luck with the store. Sorry for the headache, your not being a dick I understand.

just decide what chips u are gonna use and ur drive current first then i will work out the heatsink for ya :)

provolo

Veteran
A question for Dion, my DIY project whit one driver :Mean Well HLG-240H-C700A whit 9
CXA2540 connected in series. First question is right driver for 9 cxa2540? Second question i need a resistor in the circuit for safe or not? thanks Provolo

Dion

A question for Dion, my DIY project whit one driver :Mean Well HLG-240H-C700A whit 9
CXA2540 connected in series. First question is right driver for 9 cxa2540? Second question i need a resistor in the circuit for safe or not? thanks Provolo

1) i dunno if its the right driver but yes it will work

you can put 5-10(safely) cxa2540s on that driver

2) no u dont need any resistor or anything else- those drivers do all that for you

HLG-240H-C700A A version means u can dim it with a screwdriver( i would probably install a little knob for easy dimming plus it will be cooler lol)

gl with ur build-with that voltage be very careful-test ur heatsink isnt conducting electricity and its grounded properly etc

:tiphat:

jikko77

Ciao Provolo :)

may i say that a resistance isn't need for it to work, but wold be a nice thing to add into the design?
we can say the driver can do all the dirty work but some more "safety", if well designed is good to have. nor less the heasink system.

provolo

Veteran
This is my project:
i use a old china led case:
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

i have 9 CXA2540-0000-000N00W230G , 9 LED glass lens FN14074_STELLA-HB 9 ideal holder, i wait the ship of driver for 5 january 2016 from mouser ,after im ready to build my new cob led lamp. I think to change the fans whit better model and more noiseless.

Cob users, what are your feedbacks ? What are the benefits you see using these led's ?

I've noticed a difference in the nute regimen, they drink and eat more, but they don't want too high EC. They go fast in calmag def, if you wait too much changing nutes.

The smell ! They smell a lot more than with HID's.
The yield ! Last round i made 600 gr with 400 w of COB's, and the canopy was not regular, i mean i could have made more in the same space.
The flowering time seems to be reduced. My current batch is AK47 from royal queen seeds, given for 8/9 weeks. Mine could be harvested now (it seems to be full ripe) and they are at 6 weeks of 12/12. Last batch was jack the ripper, given for 8/9 weeks, i harvested at 8 weeks, and it was the dankest i've ever harvested.

And what about you ?

Dion

This is my project:
i use a old china led case:
View Image

View Image

View Image

i have 9 CXA2540-0000-000N00W230G , 9 LED glass lens FN14074_STELLA-HB 9 ideal holder, i wait the ship of driver for 5 january 2016 from mouser ,after im ready to build my new cob led lamp. I think to change the fans whit better model and more noiseless.

u probably dont need the driver(unless u must have dimming)

what r the specs on those chines drivers? u can save cash and use those

also sometimes ppl ask about this so if u wanna connect multiple drivers to 1 ac power plug you just wire in parallel

picture.php
picture.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts