What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

provolo

Veteran
u probably dont need the driver(unless u must have dimming)

what r the specs on those chines drivers? u can save cash and use those

also sometimes ppl ask about this so if u wanna connect multiple drivers to 1 ac power plug you just wire in parallel

View Image View Image

thanks for the tips, but old china drivers not have any ip protection practically are open, the meanwell have ip 65 , i reuse only the old fan driver, i need protect my cob investiment.I dont need to dim the cob this lamp is designed for bloom period whit max power 249 watt.
i have ordered this for connect the wires Wago 222-412:

ic

ic

Dion

thanks for the tips, but old china drivers not have any ip protection practically are open, the meanwell have ip 65 , i reuse only the old fan driver, i need protect my cob investiment.I dont need to dim the cob this lamp is designed for bloom period whit max power 249 watt.
i have ordered this for connect the wires Wago 222-412:

View Image
[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=64587&pictureid=1541244&thumb=1]View Image[/URL]
View Image

those wagos are good, if i didnt solder id use those

the fans prob doesnt matter- what voltage is the fan driver running them at? almost any fan will be silent at 5v even the shitty ones

maulwurst

Hi guys, I was thinking of building my own light and this thread has been alot of help before I say anything I want to thank Dion because I'm sure he's going to help me out.
Anyways I wanted to use two CXB30700s for a 0,67m^2 canopy and I was planning on running both of them over this power supply:
http://www.mouser.at/Search/Product...rtualkeyLPC-150-1400virtualkey709-LPC150-1400

I was also planning on getting the Artic 11 plus heatsinks, would you recommend one per LED or could I put two chips on one cooler?

I was then going to try build some sort of frame but I figured I'd get all the details right before I start worrying about that. Thanks for the help

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
2 x cxb3070 not enaugh for 0,67 sqm. That means just around 150W / sqm. I would go with at least 4 of them in your space, and then you will also have much better spread. 2 of them might work if you want to veg small plants, but not for flowering.
Also, you need to put one per heatsink. Even if one heatsink could run the both of the cool, you would have too much light under the leds and nowhere near enaugh on the sides.

Dion

Hi guys, I was thinking of building my own light and this thread has been alot of help before I say anything I want to thank Dion because I'm sure he's going to help me out.
Anyways I wanted to use two CXB30700s for a 0,67m^2 canopy and I was planning on running both of them over this power supply:
http://www.mouser.at/Search/Product...rtualkeyLPC-150-1400virtualkey709-LPC150-1400

I was also planning on getting the Artic 11 plus heatsinks, would you recommend one per LED or could I put two chips on one cooler?

I was then going to try build some sort of frame but I figured I'd get all the details right before I start worrying about that. Thanks for the help

firstly: mouser.at??? r u also in austria?

2nd: 0.67m?? is that a 60x90 or....

3rd: first row is your udea with 2 cobs-suitable for veg
2nd row is what i suggest with 4 cobs suitable for flower(also you can dim the driver i suggest to 50% for veging in that space-efficiency will increase)

picture.php

so ur idea is not enough light

4th: yeah one per sink

5: u never told us what bin so i assumed top bin

u want 4 of those cobs in that space you can run them off the HLG-185H-C1400A

anyway

maulwurst

firstly: mouser.at??? r u also in austria?

2nd: 0.67m?? is that a 60x90 or....

3rd: first row is your udea with 2 cobs-suitable for veg
2nd row is what i suggest with 4 cobs suitable for flower(also you can dim the driver i suggest to 50% for veging in that space-efficiency will increase)

View Image

so ur idea is not enough light

4th: yeah one per sink

5: u never told us what bin so i assumed top bin

u want 4 of those cobs in that space you can run them off the HLG-185H-C1400A

anyway

Hi, yeah I am in Austria are you here to? Any way no the space is 80x80

The chip I choose was CXB30700N0HAB30G, so am I right in assuming the bin in AB?

OK good to know I wasn't planning on using enough light thanks for helping a newb out.

Last edited:

Dion

The chip I choose was CXB30700N0HAB30G, so am I right in assuming the bin in AB?

OK good to know I wasn't planning on using enough light thanks for helping a newb out.

yeah thats AB bin 3000K

REALSTYLES

You should try this place they are in Australia http://www.cutter.com.au/ SupraSpl buys from them and they have about the same price as Kingbrite and they are a Authorized Cree dealer. He aslo has the new CXA/2 3590 93CRI available.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...udOglgU24n0yPv16A&sig2=jXvVz3NcYgXEiviP_pYfDA

M

mugenbao

Hoping this will work

Hoping this will work

I've been reading over this thread (and many others) for days, and I've been thinking of building a DIY light using CREE CXB3070 cobs.

So far, I've been planning on using these parts:

2x ARCTIC Alpine 64 GT Rev. 2 CPU Cooler (70W heat dissipation each)
2x Cree CXB3070-0000-000N0HAB30G CoB (3000K 36V 1.9A)
2x Meanwell LPC-60-1050 LED Drivers (9-48V 1.05A 50W non-dimming)
2x IDEAL Chip-Lok® CoB Array Holder for Cree CX_30

Arctic Silver 5 (on hand)
12v/5v PC Fan Power Supply (on hand)
Aluminum 2"x1/8"x18" bars for frame (on hand)

etc.

I've tried to understand how to match the driver and LED, and although I think I've got now it I'm not fully confident.

This is just for a supplemental light and for exploratory purposes. It will be replacing a cheap chinese UFO style LED fixture (one of three in that space) that does okay for what it is but that I'm not terribly fond of, so I'm not that concerned about it being perfect.

There are surely plenty of options/alternatives, but these parts and these suppliers work for me as far as part availability, price, and shipping costs. For instance, I might have preferred 3500K but Mouser only has the 3000K in stock and getting the CoB and drivers at the same site saves me shipping costs, etc.

Am I missing anything important here? I'm feeling almost confident enough to press the "Checkout Now" buttons, but am hoping that someone can give a second opinion for me :)

By the way, thanks for the thread. It's been a fun read and an interesting learning experience :tiphat:

Dion

I've been reading over this thread (and many others) for days, and I've been thinking of building a DIY light using CREE CXB3070 cobs.

So far, I've been planning on using these parts:

2x ARCTIC Alpine 64 GT Rev. 2 CPU Cooler (70W heat dissipation each)
2x Cree CXB3070-0000-000N0HAB30G CoB (3000K 36V 1.9A)
2x Meanwell LPC-60-1050 LED Drivers (9-48V 1.05A 50W non-dimming)
2x IDEAL Chip-Lok® CoB Array Holder for Cree CX_30

Arctic Silver 5 (on hand)
12v/5v PC Fan Power Supply (on hand)
Aluminum 2"x1/8"x18" bars for frame (on hand)

etc.

I've tried to understand how to match the driver and LED, and although I think I've got now it I'm not fully confident.

This is just for a supplemental light and for exploratory purposes. It will be replacing a cheap chinese UFO style LED fixture (one of three in that space) that does okay for what it is but that I'm not terribly fond of, so I'm not that concerned about it being perfect.

There are surely plenty of options/alternatives, but these parts and these suppliers work for me as far as part availability, price, and shipping costs. For instance, I might have preferred 3500K but Mouser only has the 3000K in stock and getting the CoB and drivers at the same site saves me shipping costs, etc.

Am I missing anything important here? I'm feeling almost confident enough to press the "Checkout Now" buttons, but am hoping that someone can give a second opinion for me :)

By the way, thanks for the thread. It's been a fun read and an interesting learning experience :tiphat:

the chip loks wont fit on that cooler

jesbuds

Got a link to a chip-lock that does work with it? Don't you generally have to mod the CPU cooler anyway to attach the chips?

Dion

Got a link to a chip-lock that does work with it? Don't you generally have to mod the CPU cooler anyway to attach the chips?

the chiplok for 3070 is 58.4mm diameter that cpu cooler is 45ish mm width(the raised part on the bottom).

so no there is not a chiplok that fits the 3070 and also this sink

he needs to use a different cpu cooler or go with kapton tape and grease to mount

M

mugenbao

the chip loks wont fit on that cooler
I already ordered one of those coolers to get a look at it. Looks like I got me an extra CPU cooler then, lol. Thanks for pointing that out :)

I assume that it will work with the Alpine 11, though?

the chiplok for 3070 is 58.4mm diameter that cpu cooler is 45ish mm width(the raised part on the bottom).

so no there is not a chiplok that fits the 3070 and also this sink

he needs to use a different cpu cooler or go with kapton tape and grease to mount
I guess that would work for testing everything out, got the tape and grease handy. Would prefer to use the cob holder in the long term, though.

jesbuds

Makes complete sense, thanks Dion. Now I'm thinking I'll just buy the heatsinks locally after getting the chips/holder so I can measure in person (microcenter has $10-15 ones).

Dion

I already ordered one of those coolers to get a look at it. Looks like I got me an extra CPU cooler then, lol. Thanks for pointing that out :)

I assume that it will work with the Alpine 11, though?

I guess that would work for testing everything out, got the tape and grease handy. Would prefer to use the cob holder in the long term, though.

well also i guess u want to use 2 cheaper drivers? how about LPC-60-1400? lots more light only a dribble less efficient

or if u are on 240v
http://www2.mouser.com/Search/Produ...lkeyELG-150-C1400Avirtualkey709-ELG150-C1400A

DO someone know what's inside a led driver we use ? Inside a 200w led driver ? I looking for this kind of information, as i like the DIY, and i have a failed chinese led driver, i would prefer to make my own one, but reliable and fixable. I find some schems on the net, but only for low power, say how to light a 3w led ?! Not usefull for me.

And best wishes for 2016 to every fellow growers

Latest posts

Latest posts