What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Koondense

Veteran
Impressive amount of budsites, plants look mostly very happy:)
I'll be following your sativa grow, I wish to have a run from 12/12 with some good sativa strains, but I decided to go the more standard 25-35 days of veg -> 70 days of flower way, less stress for the first grow.

I'm kind of sad(not the right word) because having no experience with hids I have nothing to compare these leds to. I seen some pals growing with 400 and 600hps but there were so many things I'd done differently in those grows that it's impossible to compare. Their best yield was 300g with 600w hps which I find unacceptable.

I was sure one day I'll get a CMD 315 or 630 system for a broad spectrum but seeing the cree leds perform so well, it's definitely a no-brainer decision to jump on this diy train.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
The secret behind multiple tops is my training techbique, which stress the hell out of this plants, but this allow me to grow big plants in a crowded place (I have only 1.15m of height avalilable, from floor to ceiling). After node 5 or 6, depending how sturdy is the plant I start topping. I cut only the very top growing tips, trying to obtain 2 or 4 ramifications at once. When a branch gets 10cm long I bend it downward until it almost crack, keeping the canopy even and low profile. On the first two weeks I arrange all the branches on a daily basis, by bending them with care. The third week us reserved for stretching, but with this technique I keep it to the minimum. Because there are so many tops, the plant must feed them all at the same rate, so they will stretch less (apical diminance is somehow diminished and more balanced over the tops).

I will not start the sativas directly on 12/12. I intend to veg them until I get at least 24 or 32 main tops on each plant and then flip. With two ore three supercopping sessions on the first two weeks of 12/12 I hope to triple or maybe quatruple the tops numbers and the canopy will stay flat and uniform, so the light intensity will be more even over it's surface.

REALSTYLES

can't you just tell the shipper to send each piece individually via china post and avoid vat completely because the value is so low?
Shhh!!! There's another way to get by the customs tax because in the USA there is this thing called customs tax sorry Dion but here in the states we pay import tax

REALSTYLES

Shhh!!! There's another way to get by the customs tax because in the USA there is this thing called customs tax sorry Dion but here in the states we pay import tax
But there is another way if you just get the cobs PM me and I'll tell you and you won't have to pay a lot of taxes or hit me up on skype my name is the same REALSTYLES

REALSTYLES

kingbrite is an alibaba seller- thats why i dont understand why RS even shops there-he buys so many chips he can get the same/cheaper prices from arrow :dunno:

guy is addicted to buying cobs lol

nice to see you in this thread buddy :tiphat:
My first order of CXA3590 cobs was from Digikey lol and I felt over charged because they charged me state tax and they are not from the same state. I took a shot when I found Kingbrite and I said fuck it I'll give it a go because Cree is made in China and I found a win. Authorized dealer means fuck you I'm gonna stick it in your ass lol. I'll take my risk with lower prices on a product that hasn't failed yet. BTW Supra and I talk science stuff lol. I'm a big dummy that doesn't know shit lol.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
what's wrong with an alibaba seller?

Most of the products sold on Alibaba for low price are proved to be lower grade or poor quality. An alibaba seller can't make the proof of COBs provenance , even if he send them on the 'original' packaging, which can be faked.

It just a matter of 'maybe'. That's all :)

REALSTYLES

Most of the products sold on Alibaba for low price are proved to be lower grade or poor quality. An alibaba seller can't make the proof of COBs provenance , even if he send them on the 'original' packaging, which can be faked.

It would be way too expensive to copy Cree cobs they would be better off just making their own brand lol. Go to the other forums and they speak of Kingbrite now and next month there will be a game changer to diy light makers.

CadillacRicky

Hey Dion, great thread and thanks for starting it. I need your advice. I'm buying parts for my build, I'm thinking 5 cxa3590, one 500mA HLG-185H-C700A to power all 5 and a 7.280 wide aluminum heat sink about 2.5ft long. I'm new to LEDs but not growing.

Dion

Hey Dion, great thread and thanks for starting it. I need your advice. I'm buying parts for my build, I'm thinking 5 cxa3590, one 500mA HLG-185H-C700A to power all 5 and a 7.280 wide aluminum heat sink about 2.5ft long. I'm new to LEDs but not growing.

good set up wil need a pc fan on that sink i reckon

hi guys, I need to power two cxa 3070 at 1400 mA, which driver do you suggest me?

thanks

any driver that is 1400mA and up to the volts

read the part about drivers-then look on ebay

LungButter420

I 100% understand where you're coming from. if I ordered the best (Cree as some say), I'd make sure I'm getting my dollars worth haha. also, I think a Cree chip would be pretty tough to replicate. I'd be more worried about getting the correct bin I ordered, but I guess that wouldn't matter if you ordered the lowest/worst bin.

Cree has a bunch of technical information on these chips including dimensions, and a caliper could be an easy way of checking if they're legit. Here's the CXB 3070 with dim's and tolerances.

2911eg2.png

Is there any distinguishing bin codes/order number on each individual cob? I dont think so from what I can see online. That would be a nice.

LB420

There is nothing about those that couldn't be counterfeited. A caliper would be of little use unless they were piss-poorly done counterfeits.

Koondense

Veteran
I think you're underestimating these people's intelligence.
If there would be anything wrong with KB crees, I'm sure everyone would know it long before some people came to fantasise here.

My KB crees are identical to the Cree specs and there's nothing left to doubt.

REALSTYLES

Well I gotta tell y'all the CXA3070 will be $21.50 in November Happy Halloween and the CXB3590 will be $45.50 game changer Kingbrite rocks

LungButter420

anything can be counterfeit, shit there is counterfeit cannabis nowadays

:fsu:

If you plan on buying a lot of these COBs, You could always buy 1 from an authorized dealer and one from kingbrite (or any other cheaper seller) and compare the two. i have faith a good majority of people in these DIY threads have the tools (caliper, multimeter, common sense) to verify if their COBs are legit. I'm sure Cree could help you out too.

LB420

Dion

It's all about the binning

It's all about the binning

anything can be counterfeit, shit there is counterfeit cannabis nowadays

:fsu:

If you plan on buying a lot of these COBs, You could always buy 1 from an authorized dealer and one from kingbrite (or any other cheaper seller) and compare the two. i have faith a good majority of people in these DIY threads have the tools (caliper, multimeter, common sense) to verify if their COBs are legit. I'm sure Cree could help you out too.

LB420

Legit or not there is no way to verify binning which is what we pay top dollar for from cree over say veros

Plus seen as arrow has the same prices as KB it makes no sense to risk it if buying in volume

I don't doubt KB has real cobs- there is no way to test if they r the binning being sold as or factory rejects- the equipment to do those teats(spherical light whatever shit) costs tens of thousands of dollars and so far no one has tested KB cobs

I don't actually think LED is cost effective above a 1m 2 size though-however if I did plan on spending a few grand on cobs id be damn sure to get them from an authorized reseller so I'd be sure of the binning

But hey, that's just me

LungButter420

Legit or not there is no way to verify binning which is what we pay top dollar for from cree over say veros

Plus seen as arrow has the same prices as KB it makes no sense to risk it if buying in volume

I don't doubt KB has real cobs- there is no way to test if they r the binning being sold as or factory rejects- the equipment to do those teats(spherical light whatever shit) costs tens of thousands of dollars and so far no one has tested KB cobs

I don't actually think LED is cost effective above a 1m 2 size though-however if I did plan on spending a few grand on cobs id be damn sure to get them from an authorized reseller so I'd be sure of the binning

But hey, that's just me

Dion,

Good info, I've referenced this thread on another site i thought it was so well put together. Didn't realize how much some of the testing equipment cost!

I didn't realize the top bins were worth the extra amount. How much better, if you will, are they than the lower bins? is the extra price worth the percent difference in luminous flux or spectrum? If you went with the lower bins, you wouldn't have to worry if you were getting ripped. Cree should have a way to back track individual COBs for how much some of these things cost!

LB420

Latest posts

Latest posts