What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

surfsem

So beautiful :D Funny I was just thinking how I will expand to that when I eventually get a 4x4 tent..

I was also thinking that setup in the 2x4
Does that mean I should grab 2 more cobs to match the extra 2 sq ft?
Yes it does.. haha soon soon.

I'll check out those fans, thanks.
What are the Dion approved holders for the 3070?

surfsem

heatsink fans I found:
alpine 11
holders:
Ideal

What do you wire your fans to? Same concept as the led drivers right? Add total voltage and find what amp, match power supply with specs.
Only wiring I have hands on experience with is my td fan and car stereo lol.
Looks like I need some adapter for the fan pins to get it powered?

Still reading through this and other threads sorry if I repeat an answered topic...
Thanks again for the help!

As Dion pointed out, you forgot COB holders.

The Newark Electronics part number for the 3070 holders is 90W0065. That's for the Ideal brand COB holder. The actual Ideal part number is 50-2234C

The COB holder you have listed in the post above mine is for the 3590 COB's.

Dion

So beautiful :D Funny I was just thinking how I will expand to that when I eventually get a 4x4 tent..

I was also thinking that setup in the 2x4
Does that mean I should grab 2 more cobs to match the extra 2 sq ft?
Yes it does.. haha soon soon.

I'll check out those fans, thanks.
What are the Dion approved holders for the 3070?

no idea what ur chatting about dude i calculated 5 sq ft and suggested a min of 3 cobs- so if u are going with 8 4 is a bit on the low side but fine for now

get the ideal holders they r easy* refer to shrooms post for below that links the wrong 1

heatsink fans I found:
alpine 11
holders:
Ideal

What do you wire your fans to? Same concept as the led drivers right? Add total voltage and find what amp, match power supply with specs.
Only wiring I have hands on experience with is my td fan and car stereo lol.
Looks like I need some adapter for the fan pins to get it powered?

Still reading through this and other threads sorry if I repeat an answered topic...
Thanks again for the help!

the red is - the black is + the yellow is not needed(for the fans)

u can run them all off an old phone charger in parallel( basically all fans - go to - on the charger all fans + go to + on the charger)
i suggest getting those screw lock things

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK5ynevyhpA

u can use those to connect all your wiring on this beast

there are other types that clip without screws too

surfsem

I meant I was also thinking about splitting the 2x4 into a 3x2 flower space...which means I would need 2 more cobs in there to cover 1 per sq ft since I only got the stuff for 4 right now. I was also daydreaming of a 4x4 space with a 16 cob beast in there like yours teehee

Ordered the correct holders...thanks for catching that- $14

Also ordered 4x arctic alpine 11 plus- $60 including shipping

Everything ahould be here within the next 3-4 days. Should be able to grab grease, wiring and all that other stuff locally ~$30?

Total cost so far- ~315
So glad I didnt buy a 700 dollar cxa 2540x4 unit cough cough commercially available weak sauce
Thank god for the internet and all its contributors

I'll see you all soon :)

Dion

I meant I was also thinking about splitting the 2x4 into a 3x2 flower space...which means I would need 2 more cobs in there to cover 1 per sq ft since I only got the stuff for 4 right now. I was also daydreaming of a 4x4 space with a 16 cob beast in there like yours teehee

Ordered the correct holders...thanks for catching that- $14

Also ordered 4x arctic alpine 11 plus- $60 including shipping

Everything ahould be here within the next 3-4 days. Should be able to grab grease, wiring and all that other stuff locally ~$30?

Total cost so far- ~315
So glad I didnt buy a 700 dollar cxa 2540x4 unit cough cough commercially available weak sauce
Thank god for the internet and all its contributors

I'll see you all soon :)

with the cxb3070 1 cob per 1.5 sq ft is fine

you could prob play around with some 660nm
a reptile bulb lol

yeah 2 more wont hurt
see how u go though-it may be enough

evrytime i see an led light for sale it makes me cringe- and i bet 4xcxa2540(unknown bin) are suppoed to replace a 600w hps right? lol

that weak sauce costs $160ish to build hahaha

Last edited:

surfsem

Double checking compatibility between hlg 185 1400 and 4 3070s at said 1400... I believe the votlage equals 144 (36×4) but I'm seeing a max of 143 on the driver? Should I only use three on the driver and pick up a cheapo one for the last cob?

GoeRilla

Double checking compatibility between hlg 185 1400 and 4 3070s at said 1400... I believe the votlage equals 144 (36×4) but I'm seeing a max of 143 on the driver? Should I only use three on the driver and pick up a cheapo one for the last cob?
At 1400 mA vf is 37,48V so i believe you should do just that.
I bought some Chinese drivers that are rated to 1500 but only deliver 1400.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50W-...ch-Power-Supply-IP66-CE-RoHs/32433967574.html
I believe they match nicely.

Rilla.

REALSTYLES

I'm making a 69% efficient 6500k CXB3590 180 watt light right now and if you are using CXB or Vero you are not using LED you are using LES. You get what you pay for that's why I use Meanwell drivers they now have a 7 year warranty.

surfsem

Yeah I will probably pick up another meanwell so i have room to expand later...
So it's confirmed, 4 cxb 3070s on the hlg 185 c1400 is not compatible? Too high voltage for the driver right?
Or am I misreading the driver specs?

Dion

At 1400 mA vf is 37,48V so i believe you should do just that.
I bought some Chinese drivers that are rated to 1500 but only deliver 1400.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/50W-...ch-Power-Supply-IP66-CE-RoHs/32433967574.html
I believe they match nicely.

Rilla.

Yeah I will probably pick up another meanwell so i have room to expand later...
So it's confirmed, 4 cxb 3070s on the hlg 185 c1400 is not compatible? Too high voltage for the driver right?
Or am I misreading the driver specs?

as rilla said it will be fine

4 cxb 3070s on the hlg 185 c1400 is the recommended set up

krood

Thanks for all of your input guys, this is the best diy thread that ive found where the members actually take the time and explain what to do and teach in easy to understand language. Dion- the arctic cpu coolers like you have set up are the way to go in your opinion? Is it what you use on the hydrofarm thread? How important do you feel the cobholders are? I was just thinking of using the tape or the epoxy from the beginning of the thread? Last thing what ideas could you give for those bars holding the arctic coolers, something easy to find at home depot maybe? Finally got my new house and the wife is ok with me getting the 2x4 tent. Thanks again for all you do dion

Dion

Thanks for all of your input guys, this is the best diy thread that ive found where the members actually take the time and explain what to do and teach in easy to understand language. Dion- the arctic cpu coolers like you have set up are the way to go in your opinion? Is it what you use on the hydrofarm thread? How important do you feel the cobholders are? I was just thinking of using the tape or the epoxy from the beginning of the thread? Last thing what ideas could you give for those bars holding the arctic coolers, something easy to find at home depot maybe? Finally got my new house and the wife is ok with me getting the 2x4 tent. Thanks again for all you do dion

i think the cpu coolers are good because
a) they r cheap enough
b) they r lighter than 1 big heatsink
c) they allow for changing the position of cobs if u want to later
- if u live in the usa you can check out heatsinkusa.com they have cool heatsinks that you can put a fan on(or go passive if u really wanna spend)

cob holders
i think u should use cobholders they make things easy-especially the ones with electrical connectors like the ideal or TE Connectivity
how important? not too important just a cleaner and stronger finish

you can use kapton tape with thermal grease
u can use thermal adhesive pads(in theory ok but get the good ones for max thermal transfer[in which case u prob only save cents compared to the holder] i dont like this option very much
i dont recomend the thermal apoxy its heat transfer is too low for aprox 50w in a aprox 25mm diameter

anything over 10w id use only top quality thermal grease and cob holders so if i had to skip holders id use grease and kapton tape

for bars holding the coolers just get L profiles at home depot super cheap and every hardware store in the world will have them-screw them into the heatsinks of the coolers
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

OrganicCanuk

Hey Dion, in your picture there you have 2 drivers joined with those yellow easy connects, and one on it own, I take it you needed 2 house hold 15amp circuits to run that bad boy?

OrganicCanuk

Also obviously from reading through here, there is a bias towards Cree LEDs, but what is available for me at least in Canada from digikey That is in stock is only 3000k 3590's and on mouser there is more in stock choices of the 3590's but price seems to keep going up and up. As far as the 3070s go there also seems to be only 3000k is stock. Will that be sufficient for all around Veg/Flower?

As far as bridgelux vero 29's go they have all spectrums in stock. Are the Vero 29s worth the investment? To be able to have a mixed temperature LEDs.

I know someone will suggest going through china, but I have ordered tons of stuff from Chinese sellers when I was building my electric brewery and I had nothing but problems with faulty parts, extremely slow delivery times, and overall communication with the sellers.

Dion

That build is not mine just one I liked and use to show ppl
It's 600wish so a x v =w ie5 amps@120v

I like the vero 10/13 for value or check out the cxa3070(prices should have dropped by now)

Depending on how many u need check out arrow-they have the best prices and are an authorized reseller

OrganicCanuk

Oh right on, I decided to go with vero 29s, (12)-3000k + (3)-4000K. 3 separate heat sinks 36"length by 8" width. 5 leds/ Heat sink, with switch Veg/Bloom, Bloom being all lights On, and veg being 2 led per Heat sink (1)3000k + (1)4000k. Couple Fans each heat sink. Driven by HLG-185H-C1050ma 191Vmax, 5 LED/ String @ 38W per Led. With a grand total of 570W Bloom, 342W Veg. To be Hung In a 4X4 Tent each units spacing to be

6" 8" 6" 8" 6" 8" 6" - 8" being the width of the heat sink and 6" being the space between heat sinks. 36" length heat sink with 6" space in front and behind.

Does this sound alright? Any suggestions would be grand.

Dion

Oh right on, I decided to go with vero 29s, (12)-3000k + (3)-4000K. 3 separate heat sinks 36"length by 8" width. 5 leds/ Heat sink, with switch Veg/Bloom, Bloom being all lights On, and veg being 2 led per Heat sink (1)3000k + (1)4000k. Couple Fans each heat sink. Driven by HLG-185H-C1050ma 191Vmax, 5 LED/ String @ 38W per Led. With a grand total of 570W Bloom, 342W Veg. To be Hung In a 4X4 Tent each units spacing to be

6" 8" 6" 8" 6" 8" 6" - 8" being the width of the heat sink and 6" being the space between heat sinks. 36" length heat sink with 6" space in front and behind.

Does this sound alright? Any suggestions would be grand.

i dont know off hand the vero29 info so cant say but u r planning to use 1 driver? that cant be right u will use 3 drivers yeah?

but if they preform similar to cxa3070 then thats a lot in a 4x4- i love it and also underdriving those vero i beleive they will preform as good as crees( from memory)
i love the bloom/veg switch too although u do have a dimmible driver in there-almost makes sence to dim all cobs(same wattage but better efficiency without sacrificing spead)

Also I checked out Arrow, and for the 3070's there is only 5000k spectrum in stock. So that kind of forced me to the Vero 29s.

they have the right binning but you have to buy 50pc
i guess u went digi?

anyway sounds good

the build i showed before is for a 4x4 and uses 12 cxb3070s fyi

OrganicCanuk

i dont know off hand the vero29 info so cant say but u r planning to use 1 driver? that cant be right u will use 3 drivers yeah?

but if they preform similar to cxa3070 then thats a lot in a 4x4- i love it and also underdriving those vero i beleive they will preform as good as crees( from memory)
i love the bloom/veg switch too although u do have a dimmible driver in there-almost makes sence to dim all cobs(same wattage but better efficiency without sacrificing spead)

they have the right binning but you have to buy 50pc
i guess u went digi?

anyway sounds good

the build i showed before is for a 4x4 and uses 12 cxb3070s fyi

Oh sorry yes I was going to use 3 drivers at least! My mistake.

You make a valid point about the dimming, to be honest I have no idea how these drivers operate as far as dimming goes! Like I understand the theory behind it, just have not physically operated one or installed one yet to be able to know.

like the drivers with a built it Pot for dimming, does turning the pot drop the currents say in half, then in quarters? like say 1400ma full, turn to a point then it drops down 700ma? or is this something you need to have hooked up to a multi-meter and adjust till you have reached desired current ?

My whole plan was to keep it simple, I understand the spread thing as well, but the way i see it , and like you said its a bit much for one 4x4 so dropping down to 6 Led as evenly apart as possible for veg may not be much loss to spread overall , because of adding so many leds overall, flower mode will be like super mode I suppose.

My tent has 84" height and I will still be running the exhaust /scrubber system through to the attic, while leaving my porch door screen open a bit to draw in fresh Co2 and also passive cooling.

Also what is your opinion on Led reflectors and or lens?