What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

GoeRilla

Legit or not there is no way to verify binning which is what we pay top dollar for from cree over say veros

Plus seen as arrow has the same prices as KB it makes no sense to risk it if buying in volume

I don't doubt KB has real cobs- there is no way to test if they r the binning being sold as or factory rejects- the equipment to do those teats(spherical light whatever shit) costs tens of thousands of dollars and so far no one has tested KB cobs

I don't actually think LED is cost effective above a 1m 2 size though-however if I did plan on spending a few grand on cobs id be damn sure to get them from an authorized reseller so I'd be sure of the binning

But hey, that's just me

That´s right. We have no means to check if we get the expensive bin we pay for, it´s all about trust.
I have been in China and i know a bit about the people there, nothing said, but they like to make a good deal.

Rilla.

Dion

Dion,

Good info, I've referenced this thread on another site i thought it was so well put together. Didn't realize how much some of the testing equipment cost!

I didn't realize the top bins were worth the extra amount. How much better, if you will, are they than the lower bins? is the extra price worth the percent difference in luminous flux or spectrum? If you went with the lower bins, you wouldn't have to worry if you were getting ripped. Cree should have a way to back track individual COBs for how much some of these things cost!

LB420

i refer u to this post

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7181456&postcount=324

a good reason to use cheaper cobs is that u can have more of them running at lower wattage so higher efficiency

That´s right. We have no means to check if we get the expensive bin we pay for, it´s all about trust.
I have been in China and i know a bit about the people there, nothing said, but they like to make a good deal.

Rilla.

i lived in china for over 10 years- I speak mandarin fluently so when i do biz with them i always talk in chinese,they hate it because they know I know what they are like- I wouldn't trust those ppl at all

its like u said they like to make a good deal(for them)

china has the most pure capitalism in the world i.e.

"Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it."

Publilius Syrus Roman Writer (~100 BC)

REALSTYLES

Legit or not there is no way to verify binning which is what we pay top dollar for from cree over say veros

Plus seen as arrow has the same prices as KB it makes no sense to risk it if buying in volume

I don't doubt KB has real cobs- there is no way to test if they r the binning being sold as or factory rejects- the equipment to do those teats(spherical light whatever shit) costs tens of thousands of dollars and so far no one has tested KB cobs

I don't actually think LED is cost effective above a 1m 2 size though-however if I did plan on spending a few grand on cobs id be damn sure to get them from an authorized reseller so I'd be sure of the binning

But hey, that's just me
Here we go lol I've heard this before not from you but others and the sad thing is they too now buy from Kingbrite and everyone knows who SupraSpl is and if he says they are legit why the second guessing and as for authorized dealer that means they are authorized to over charge you lol. Btw Dion checkout my new tool it's PAR time lol I have the correct code from Apogee special thanks to Supra

picture.php

And I'm using a FLUKE 115 multi-meter

picture.php

krood

so i finally ordered my 8, cxb 3070s and 2, meanwell hlg185 1400a. i was wondering am i going to have to splice a plug on the driver?if i did would i do that with those wire caps that twist on to the connected wires? also, i was having a hard time finding any ideal cob holders, theres multiple kingbrite websites it looks to me, and the only other website that seems to carry them is newark.com are the dimensions of the cxa3070s the same as the cxb3070s? i wanted to make sure before i ordered anything. the next thing i was having a problem with was choosing a heatsink. Dion, you told me that i should get the arctic combo, i looked into it and theres a bunch of different types of arctic combos, and i was wondering if the newer gens were better? i also was thinking about drilling through the heatsink, carefully? measure depth, then put like a piece of tape on the drill bit so i dont go too deep and mess up the fan, maybe? i was kind imagining that i would get two heatsinks 4-6"x46" to fit in my 24"x48" tent but then i have to choose a fan, which I'm sure is doable. if i get an arctic combo, do i need to polish/sand the heatsink face?

BuddyColas

Dion,

I read the whole thread...just caught up. I have learned so much. Thanks for sharing. Please ignore RS. Many out here in the "lurkosphere" that want to learn!

BuddyColas

Dion

i was wondering am i going to have to splice a plug on the driver?if i did would i do that with those wire caps that twist on to the connected wires?

yes-2drivers to 1 plug is ok
+to+ -to-(paralel)

are the dimensions of the cxa3070s the same as the cxb3070s?

yes-double check the data sheet off cree.com for peace of mind

Dion, you told me that i should get the arctic combo, i looked into it and theres a bunch of different types of arctic combos, and i was wondering if the newer gens were better? i also was thinking about drilling through the heatsink, carefully? measure depth, then put like a piece of tape on the drill bit so i dont go too deep and mess up the fan, maybe? i was kind imagining that i would get two heatsinks 4-6"x46" to fit in my 24"x48" tent but then i have to choose a fan, which I'm sure is doable. if i get an arctic combo, do i need to polish/sand the heatsink face?[/QUOTE]

any arctic is fine for 50w- i use the ones for 6euro from conrad-no need to polish-drillin the sink is fine-unclip the fan when u drill-nail polish remover will clean the preaplied thermal gunk on the sink

it will make sensw when u hsve it in ur hands

krood

ok, so I'm going to look and find the largest and quietest arctic combo available. and if everything works out right, like I'm planning the cobs are going to be dimmed to 25 watts. i didn't even thing of rigging two drivers to one plug, i was just wondering if i needed to put a plug on the drivers or if they came with one already attached. thanks for you quick reply dion. I'm also going to use the tape like you recommended i did earlier to attach the coband holder to the sink

krood

dion, I'm sure all the thermal pads are pretty quality, but are there any you would recommend above others? if i get a the double sided pad should i look for the dimensions of the cxb's I'm planning on using? (27.35mm L x 27.35mm W) my instinct says it is better to get it a hair too big, as opposed to getting it too small. i could always cut it down with a razor. i can also get the grease, the stuff premixed in the syringe would seem pretty cool too although i see myself making a huge mess, but my first choice i think will be the pads.

REALSTYLES

I forgot to post my PAR readings

6500k Veg tent CXB3590 DD optic 500ma 180 watts
36"=369
24"=587.31
12"=1148.65
6" =1507.28

flower tent 3500k CD optic 700ma dimmed 186 watts
12"=1197.92
6" =1666.66

flower tent 3000k & 5000k mixed CD 700ma dimmed 186 watts
12"=902
6" =1536.08

flower tent 3000k CD 700ma dimmed 186 watts
12"=845.59
6" =1617.65

And this is my lights a full power
3500k CD 72v @700ma
36"=505.21
24"=828.13
12"=1942.71
7" =3343.75

Dion

i was wondering am i going to have to splice a plug on the driver?if i did would i do that with those wire caps that twist on to the connected wires?

yes-2drivers to 1 plug is ok
+to+ -to-(paralel)

are the dimensions of the cxa3070s the same as the cxb3070s?

yes-double check the data sheet off cree.com for peace of mind

Dion, you told me that i should get the arctic combo, i looked into it and theres a bunch of different types of arctic combos, and i was wondering if the newer gens were better? i also was thinking about drilling through the heatsink, carefully? measure depth, then put like a piece of tape on the drill bit so i dont go too deep and mess up the fan, maybe? i was kind imagining that i would get two heatsinks 4-6"x46" to fit in my 24"x48" tent but then i have to choose a fan, which I'm sure is doable. if i get an arctic combo, do i need to polish/sand the heatsink face?

any arctic is fine for 50w- i use the ones for 6euro from conrad-no need to polish-drillin the sink is fine-unclip the fan when u drill-nail polish remover will clean the preaplied thermal gunk on the sink

it will make sensw when u hsve it in ur hands[/QUOTE]

ok, so I'm going to look and find the largest and quietest arctic combo available. and if everything works out right, like I'm planning the cobs are going to be dimmed to 25 watts. i didn't even thing of rigging two drivers to one plug, i was just wondering if i needed to put a plug on the drivers or if they came with one already attached. thanks for you quick reply dion. I'm also going to use the tape like you recommended i did earlier to attach the coband holder to the sink

use grease and holders or grease and kapton tape-pads suck

krood

Thanks for all your help dion im going to invest in thermal grease instead. Realstyles those are some pretty damn bright lights bra

Dion

Thanks for all your help dion im going to invest in thermal grease instead. Realstyles those are some pretty damn bright lights bra

My keyboard is totally on the fritz so I jumped on my phone to help u out

Def get grease or even just use the preaplied stuff on the art tic will be better than pads

Don't stress about drilling the sinks they love it

krood

i just bought some arctic 5 today, ordered ideal cob holders, ordered the heatsink/fan combos. i think all i need now is wire to attach between the cobs, and a good extension cord to splice to the drivers, and tools to splice everything together. ill be sure to post some pics

Koondense

Veteran
I drilled the holes on my pc fans today and I must say the Arctic 64plus and ideal holders for cxb3590 are a perfect match.
I'm very happy I got these fans, payed a lot for them but they're top quality.

Dion

I drilled the holes on my pc fans today and I must say the Arctic 64plus and ideal holders for cxb3590 are a perfect match.
I'm very happy I got these fans, payed a lot for them but they're top quality.

oh u got the 64 plus not the ones hempfield uses?

cool-yeah they r like 15 euro direct from arctic right?

:dance013:

post pics of ur build if u can

Koondense

Veteran
Arctic sells them for 16€ plus shipping.
They are nice size and light, the base is perfect for the ideal holders.

Here's a picture of my lights coming to life:
picture.php

Latest posts

Latest posts