What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Dion

like the drivers with a built it Pot for dimming, does turning the pot drop the currents say in half, then in quarters? like say 1400ma full, turn to a point then it drops down 700ma? or is this something you need to have hooked up to a multi-meter and adjust till you have reached desired current ?

Also what is your opinion on Led reflectors and or lens?

get the version A it has an internal dimmer thing so u wont need to attach anything to dim

optics/lenses

I dont use them you dont need them we dont buy them
if you want to protect your fried egg sure go ahead but you will loose light to the lens( 3-7% depending on the quality)- reflectors can be used they attach to the chip holder but same story really- who needs em? feel free to disagree but i can only speak from my experience

Dion

always trying to help my eu buddies

came across this site http://www.todogrowled.es/

but what cought my eye was this product

http://www.todogrowled.es/productos/componentes-sueltos/disipación/

Disipador a medida

Disipador de aluminio aleteado usado en la mayoría de nuestros modelos
Medidas 100x 15 mm. (ancho por alto)
Precio por 1 unidad de 1000 mm. de largo (1m.)
Se puede cortar a medida.

google translate says:

Finned aluminum heat sink used in most of our models
Measures 100 x 15 mm. (width by height)
Price for 1 piece of 1000 mm. long (1m.)
It can be cut to size.

39,90 €

unfortunately 25euro to ship

still smth interesting

EDIT: i think i got too excited- I paid 20 euro with shipping for a bigger heatsink(60cm long but takes more wattage- notice the serrated fins?) from china to europe

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...luminium-Profile-Radiator-LED/1424041326.html

a pretty good diy led store they have connectors and other bits u may need

if u need other heatsinks they have a massive catalog so im sure they can find smth obviously shipping gets expensive

Last edited:

REALSTYLES

always trying to help my eu buddies

came across this site http://www.todogrowled.es/

but what cought my eye was this product

http://www.todogrowled.es/productos/componentes-sueltos/disipación/

Disipador a medida

Disipador de aluminio aleteado usado en la mayoría de nuestros modelos
Medidas 100x 15 mm. (ancho por alto)
Precio por 1 unidad de 1000 mm. de largo (1m.)
Se puede cortar a medida.

google translate says:

Finned aluminum heat sink used in most of our models
Measures 100 x 15 mm. (width by height)
Price for 1 piece of 1000 mm. long (1m.)
It can be cut to size.

39,90 €

unfortunately 25euro to ship

still smth interesting

EDIT: i think i got too excited- I paid 20 euro with shipping for a bigger heatsink(60cm long but takes more wattage- notice the serrated fins?) from china to europe

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEW-...luminium-Profile-Radiator-LED/1424041326.html

a pretty good diy led store they have connectors and other bits u may need

if u need other heatsinks they have a massive catalog so im sure they can find smth obviously shipping gets expensive

Not trying to be a dick but Kingbrite is a better place to get cobs and the Meanwell drivers from CXB3590 is now $47.50 and the HLG-185 drivers are $52 USD. Supra buys from them as well. If you want top bin Kingbrite rocks just google Kingbrite rocks and go to my thread and see how many people are satisfied buying from them. I'm trying to help the world not just the US. Also why haven't you been talking about efficiency? I have phone conversations with Supra everyday and the CXB3590 is actually the best bet for the cost per PAR/W.

Dion

Not trying to be a dick but Kingbrite is a better place to get cobs and the Meanwell drivers from CXB3590 is now $47.50 and the HLG-185 drivers are $52 USD. Supra buys from them as well. If you want top bin Kingbrite rocks just google Kingbrite rocks and go to my thread and see how many people are satisfied buying from them. I'm trying to help the world not just the US. Also why haven't you been talking about efficiency? I have phone conversations with Supra everyday and the CXB3590 is actually the best bet for the cost per PAR/W.

YES

RS I totally agree KB is a good deal, personally I would buy from them however I can really only advocate cobs in smaller builds, once you start looking at the quantities you buy I would personally go with arrow-same prices

I do talk about efficiency-I however am not hung up on ppfd(although a few posts back some one asked and I did give the formula and LER to work it out)

the cxb3590 is undoubtedly the king of cobs in terms of efficiency(over 170L/w @50w from memory) digikey has the CB bin but its 80 bucks or smth so going with KB would be the best value for par watt indeed.

the one thing that does get under my skin about your suggestions is that you don't give relevant information- if we all had access to heatsink usa and didnt have to pay import tax at the post office the world woudl be a better place =D

try and understand that in europe we have to pay up to 30% extra for vat and handling services- it sucks donkey balls

imagine a person wanted to buy a 6 cob set up

ie 6 cxb 3590 with holders and 2 drivers( for easy maths lets say the total woudl be $400)

then $40 shipping

so $440 dollars goes to kingbrite BUT

when it arrives in europe we have to pay another 30% to get it from the post office so the total becomes (440+132) $582-it hurts

mouser includes VAT and handling in their orders as well as free shipping over 100

digikey gives free shipping over 100(for orders to the eu)

so if that same person bought 8 cxb3070 from digi and 2 drivers
the total woudl be (no shipping cost)$420+30%=$546)

u wanna talk effeiciency?

here it is assuming its for a 3.3x3.3 garden= 1m2

6*cd bin [email protected](36v@1400mA)=298.62 dissipation W
298.62* 0.49(effeciency)=145.439 PAR W
145.429* 0.9 lens/reflector/wall losses = 130.9 PAR W
130.9* 4.65= 608.66 ppfd averaged

8*AB bin [email protected](36v@1400mA)=398.4
398.4* 0.44= 176.45 PAR W
176.45* 0.9 (lens/reflector/wall losses)= 158.8 PAR W
158.8*4.65= 738.45 ppfd averaged

so $ per par watt(after losses)

cxb3590 from kingbrite= $4.45/PAR W
cxb3070 from digikey= $ 3.43/PAR W

so in this case buying lower bins from digikey key will give
a) more light
b) cheaper per par watt
c) cheaper total build
d) guaranteed reliability of product(true binning and brand) and manufacturer's warranty will also be valid after sale(u mentioned meanwell now has a 5 year warranty? good luck with that when u buy from an unauthorised reseller)

oh and speaking of relevance the post you quoted had nothing to do with chips

I dunno what you and supra chat about but i assume most of what he says just goes over your head

Last edited:

GoeRilla

It can be a bit annoying that people who live in USA don´t understand that things can be different if you live in another location, that seems to go for all situations.

Rilla.

REALSTYLES

YES

RS I totally agree KB is a good deal, personally I would buy from them however I can really only advocate cobs in smaller builds, once you start looking at the quantities you buy I would personally go with arrow-same prices

I do talk about efficiency-I however am not hung up on ppfd(although a few posts back some one asked and I did give the formula and LER to work it out)

the cxb3590 is undoubtedly the king of cobs in terms of efficiency(over 170L/w @50w from memory) digikey has the CB bin but its 80 bucks or smth so going with KB would be the best value for par watt indeed.

the one thing that does get under my skin about your suggestions is that you don't give relevant information- if we all had access to heatsink usa and didnt have to pay import tax at the post office the world woudl be a better place =D

try and understand that in europe we have to pay up to 30% extra for vat and handling services- it sucks donkey balls

imagine a person wanted to buy a 6 cob set up

ie 6 cxb 3590 with holders and 2 drivers( for easy maths lets say the total woudl be $400)

then $40 shipping

so $440 dollars goes to kingbrite BUT

when it arrives in europe we have to pay another 30% to get it from the post office so the total becomes (440+132) $582-it hurts

mouser includes VAT and handling in their orders as well as free shipping over 100

digikey gives free shipping over 100(for orders to the eu)

so if that same person bought 8 cxb3070 from digi and 2 drivers
the total woudl be (no shipping cost)$420+30%=$546)

u wanna talk effeiciency?

here it is assuming its for a 3.3x3.3 garden= 1m2

6*cd bin [email protected](36v@1400mA)=298.62 dissipation W
298.62* 0.49(effeciency)=145.439 PAR W
145.429* 0.9 lens/reflector/wall losses = 130.9 PAR W
130.9* 4.65= 608.66 ppfd averaged

8*AB bin [email protected](36v@1400mA)=398.4
398.4* 0.44= 176.45 PAR W
176.45* 0.9 (lens/reflector/wall losses)= 158.8 PAR W
158.8*4.65= 738.45 ppfd averaged

so $ per par watt(after losses)

cxb3590 from kingbrite= $4.45/PAR W
cxb3070 from digikey= $ 3.43/PAR W

so in this case buying lower bins from digikey key will give
a) more light
b) cheaper per par watt
c) cheaper total build
d) guaranteed reliability of product(true binning and brand) and manufacturer's warranty will also be valid after sale(u mentioned meanwell now has a 5 year warranty? good luck with that when u buy from an unauthorised reseller)

oh and speaking of relevance the post you quoted had nothing to do with chips

I dunno what you and supra chat about but i assume most of what he says just goes over your head
That's what Supra figures out and we are talking Meanwell man they are great drivers which I've never seen anyone saying they had one go bad lol and it's 7 year warranty now lol. Even funnier shit is the bin I'm getting some of them you have to buy 50 from digikey and you might not get them also they arev $62.76 instead of $47.50. I've helped so many people and you can't compare 3070 to 3590 because of price that's not apples to apples. But I'll leave it be and good luck guys. Oh yeah I buy my drivers from Sager because I buy 10 or more at a time lol

My new 69-70% 6500k CXB3590 DD bin on a HLG-185H-C500A

and I've dimmed it down to 11w per cob
the tent on the right 59 watts from the wall

Dion

lol

i compared $ per par watt to $ per par watt and ppfd to ppfd- r u so dumb u dont understand?

until next time crack donkey

adios fucktard

lol

i compared $ per par watt to $ per par watt and ppfd to ppfd- r u so dumb u dont understand?

adios fucktard

No need for that disrespectful shit dion. Is your vag chaffed from those euro, small distressed country, tax everything in sight policies?

Or were you just joking with a guy who has built more lights that are more efficient than ANYTHING available in eu? If humor was your intention you're still a witless ****.

REALSTYLES

No need for that disrespectful shit dion. Is your vag chaffed from those euro, small distressed country, tax everything in sight policies?

Or were you just joking with a guy who has built more lights that are more efficient than ANYTHING available in eu? If humor was your intention you're still a witless ****.
Thanks man I'm not going to name call him but his figures are off and he thinks cheap not efficient. I'm trying to save everyone money and have them get top bin with out buying an ass load of cobs to get the right price. I stumbled on to a great source for Cree cobs and for the CXA3070 the price is $21.50 and CXA3590 is $37.50 I call that a win and I don't care if they are authorized or not the price says it all. I still have parts to make 4 more panels and still have cobs left over.

REALSTYLES

lol

adios fucktard
Great comparison 3070 to 3590 and you used 8 3070 to 6 3590 not the same but nice try and as for the name calling that shows that I'm right. I'm here to help what don't you understand about that? There are places in EU that sell heat sinks like Heatsinkusa.com. You just haven't taken the time too look. REALSTYLES for the win.

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor
can't you just tell the shipper to send each piece individually via china post and avoid vat completely because the value is so low?

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
There is no need to argue.

Some people think for short time efficiency and lower cost, when others take in mind investment efficiency, if I may say so. It really depends on the purpose of the grow (personal use vs commercial).

I live in the Europe and I understand Dion very well : we have to pay extra taxes for every item imported from a non-EU country. When you DIY budget is limited or not so generous, you count every penny and you try to find the cheapest components (especially when you are very young and the patience is not on your side). It is very annoying to pay extra charge of 30% as taxes.
The trade exchange in EU is not so simple like in US, because every country has it's own laws and even it's own currency. And the shipping it's also very expensive. This make things more complicated.

This is a learning thread, where we want to share our knowledge and ask for solutions. Two projects, even they may look similar, are totally different because the people are thinking different and they have different requirements and expectations.

Koondense

Veteran
Back on topic please:)
I'm just ordering cxb3590s, sadly not the cd bins 3500k but cb bin 3000k, the cd went out of stock just before my order was processed.
So instead of waiting I went for a compromise, less blue and more red with just a bit less lumens.

Hoping for good results and overall nice efficency, not some crazy numbers(driven @1400mA)but something useful for my small tent.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
Why sadly ? You want big buds or bushy plants ? More blue means more foliage. Less blue means a slightly stretchy plants, but the light penetration is better due the lack of leaves, and overall more buds.

What is the price for your choice per piece ? I see that Mouser have them in stock but they are damn pricey , like $80,77/peace.

How many COBs do you plan to fit in your small tent ?

Koondense

Veteran
"Sadly" just because of lumens. I know plants will love the 3000k spectrum, i may be just hyped with the high bins and efficency i see others are building.
Also i like to think of emulating the sunshine some day, therefore a mix of different cct will be necessary.

I'll put 6 cobs in a tent of 120x60, i think there will be enough light for a nice amount of buds:)
Total 300w with possibility to go up to 400 with two more cobs added.

Price is around 47$/piece at kingbrite.

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
"Sadly" just because of lumens. I know plants will love the 3000k spectrum, i may be just hyped with the high bins and efficency i see others are building.
Also i like to think of emulating the sunshine some day, therefore a mix of different cct will be necessary.

I'll put 6 cobs in a tent of 120x60, i think there will be enough light for a nice amount of buds:)
Total 300w with possibility to go up to 400 with two more cobs added.

Price is around 47$/piece at kingbrite.

Can you please share a link from kingbrite ? I can't find any COB on their website, only reflectors (WTF?!? - it's my browser or it's something wrong with their website ?).
L.E. I found some listings on AliBaba but this raise a question to me : are you sure that you are getting what you pay for ?

I have 6xCBX3070 3000K running at 1400mA on a 1.1x1m (252W at the wall) and they are more than enough. When you will power yours for the first time you will be amazed how much light they spread out. And the plants will be very very pleased and they will show their gratitude with big yields.

Dion

Great comparison 3070 to 3590 and you used 8 3070 to 6 3590 not the same but nice try and as for the name calling that shows that I'm right. I'm here to help what don't you understand about that? There are places in EU that sell heat sinks like Heatsinkusa.com. You just haven't taken the time too look. REALSTYLES for the win.

this is so typical of how mislead and ignorant you are

if u are suggesting to buy the cheaper cobs from china then obviously you care about cost

you also asked me to compare $ per par watt which was done

i already said that the 3590 was the king of cobs, surely you can think that a comparison of a light is based off number of chips?
it would be compared in terms of total par output

the point i was making was that using 3590 chips isnt always the best option-unless u want to spend more money for less light?

you surely can be serious that you think I havnt looked? lol

I spent 6 months looking for reasonable heatsink profiles that would be cost effective-then i decided to just use pc coolers for europe builds

if u know so much why don't you post a link to decent heatsinks available in EU?

anyway- talking with you is a waste of breath

if u have any valuable information to give to this community please do so

Dion

Can you please share a link from kingbrite ? I can't find any COB on their website, only reflectors (WTF?!? - it's my browser or it's something wrong with their website ?).
L.E. I found some listings on AliBaba but this raise a question to me : are you sure that you are getting what you pay for ?

I have 6xCBX3070 3000K running at 1400mA on a 1.1x1m (252W at the wall) and they are more than enough. When you will power yours for the first time you will be amazed how much light they spread out. And the plants will be very very pleased and they will show their gratitude with big yields.

kingbrite is an alibaba seller- thats why i dont understand why RS even shops there-he buys so many chips he can get the same/cheaper prices from arrow :dunno:

guy is addicted to buying cobs lol

nice to see you in this thread buddy :tiphat:

Koondense

Veteran
I'm talking with Jerry from KB, gives me fresh info on stock. I have no problem finding their site with 3000k cxb3590. Try searching again, i'm sure i'll get what i pay for:)

So you have less than 300w in a square meter? That sounds very nice, but how are the resulting g/W?

hempfield

Organic LED Grower
Veteran
I'm talking with Jerry from KB, gives me fresh info on stock. I have no problem finding their site with 3000k cxb3590. Try searching again, i'm sure i'll get what i pay for:)

So you have less than 300w in a square meter? That sounds very nice, but how are the resulting g/W?

This is my first run with the new leds but I am very pleased by the flowering evolution so far.

Here you can find some pictures from the current run. Is a bagseed grow, started because I was boring this summer : Bagseed Grow
I don't have a dedicate thread for this grow, but when this will be ready I will start a new grow with some pure sativas. I expect this grow to be complete near Xmas (today is day 30 of 12/12). I will be satisfied to exceed 1g/w ratio, but I am more interested in 'g/wh' , because I like to veg the plants from seed for 60 days before flip.

I will have my dry weights posted here after harvest.

P.S. My plants does not look very well now due a high P and N deficiency because I have watered them only with RO water being to high. I totally forgot to ad nutes so two days later they get very angry and pale, and some leaves shown clear P def, but I have fix this and they are recovering very nice and fast.