What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Dion

yeah ive seen those, some great designs

i dont really put any effort into casing and making it look pretty although I know a lot of ppl care about this and will spend $ on it

tnx for sharing:tiphat:

the good point to take from this is his desighn style- using the Bml design(spreading the chips out) is really the way to go i was inspired by the illumitex neosol ds (imo the best chips to use)

Last edited:

sclean

Questions For Dion

Questions For Dion

I just read through this thread and I have a couple of questions?

On the mechanical design (3rd post)
>> so 135.9 Lumens per watt ? 52.4 total watts? 42% efficient? ill take it!"
How do you calculate the 42% efficiency?

>> and we have decided to use 1 per sq ft( aprox 50w/ 7000L/sq ft)

How do you calculate the 1 per sq foot?

Thanks for the informative thread.

Dion

I just read through this thread and I have a couple of questions?

On the mechanical design (3rd post)
>> so 135.9 Lumens per watt ? 52.4 total watts? 42% efficient? ill take it!"
How do you calculate the 42% efficiency?

>> and we have decided to use 1 per sq ft( aprox 50w/ 7000L/sq ft)

How do you calculate the 1 per sq foot?

Thanks for the informative thread.

efficiency is (lm/w÷LER)

LER is the theoretical maximum lumen output a spectrum could ever achieve if it were 100% efficient

for cxa3070 AB bin LER 325lm

for cxb its
3K 80cri: 325
3K 90cri: 275
4K 70cri: 323
5K 70cri: 321

1 cob per sq foot was based off the cxa series for use in small spaces(2530/2540) or the 3070 for total over kill so that they could be driven at a lower current and achieve great L/W

now with the cxb series and specifically the cxb3590 top bins we can get 172L/w easily
so for a larger space/with this newer tech I advise cob per 1.5 sq ft

Last edited:

sclean

efficiency is (lm/w÷LER)

now with the cxb series and specifically the cxb3590 top bins we can get 172L/w easily
so for a larger space/with this newer tech I advise cob per 1.5 sq ft
Thanks for the info.

I believe I am going to go with a setup like RealStyles. I was tempted to run the 72 V @ 1400mA for insane lumens; however, I decided to go with:

8 - cxb3090s 72 V 5000K (DD 50E - if I can get them, 200.8 lm/W)
2 - HLG-185H-C700

Thanks Dion and RealStyles

GoeRilla

It should be noticed that only the top bin´s produce the very high lumen/Watt.
The lower bins look more like other brands in their performance.
The top bin´s might be difficult or and expensive to obtain.

Rilla.

Dion

It should be noticed that only the top bin´s produce the very high lumen/Watt.
The lower bins look more like other brands in their performance.
The top bin´s might be difficult or and expensive to obtain.

Rilla.

exactly why lots and lots vero 10s running super soft should be considered if top bin crees arnt in the budget:tiphat:

surfsem

This is a great tutorial!
I plan on ordering everything soon.
Looking at either 2 or 4 cxa3070's for my 36"x 20" flower tent. You mention 1 3070 chip per sq ft..
With my space would 4 3070s ran at your suggested amps be overkill? I was thinking I can get away with different (smaller,cheaper) chips x4 and hit the same lm/sqft. Also to perhaps be able to have them closer to the canopy. I only have 62" vertical space, and hope to have ~13" available for my sip setup. Which reminds me, what is your personal experience with canopy height and bleaching with 3070s at 1.4? You may have mentioned this somewhere, but I cant recall. Thanks!

Been looking at the amare...seems so simple to build it yourself lol. Especially with all the resources available. Thank you for sharing and shedding some light

Dion

This is a great tutorial!
I plan on ordering everything soon.
Looking at either 2 or 4 cxa3070's for my 36"x 20" flower tent. You mention 1 3070 chip per sq ft..
With my space would 4 3070s ran at your suggested amps be overkill? I was thinking I can get away with different (smaller,cheaper) chips x4 and hit the same lm/sqft. Also to perhaps be able to have them closer to the canopy. I only have 62" vertical space, and hope to have ~13" available for my sip setup. Which reminds me, what is your personal experience with canopy height and bleaching with 3070s at 1.4? You may have mentioned this somewhere, but I cant recall. Thanks!

Been looking at the amare...seems so simple to build it yourself lol. Especially with all the resources available. Thank you for sharing and shedding some light

5 sq ft huh?

i think 4 will be good- 3 is ok-2 is prolly bit too little BUT

seen as u have limited hight why not take advantage of all that diy led has to offer? u could try more smaller chips

bleaching wont be an issue until about 15cm(6inches)

u shoudl try get the cxb3070 and run 3 of them @1400mAA

or 4 cxb 3070s off a hlg-185h-c1400 or hlg-185h-c1050

or3 cxb3950.....
or 8 2540s
or vero 10s......

lots of options if ur set on cxa3070 get 3 @ 1400 or 4@1000-1200mA(or 4 @ 1400 for less efficiency more light lol)

ITS ImPORTANT TO KNOW WHAT BIN THEY ARE THOUGH

surfsem

I'm comparing prices right now. What source has the fastest shipping out time? Looking at digikey.
Caught between the 4 cbx 3070s or 8 2540s/vero 10. Would come out to about the same price except the 3070s arent top bin. Im assuming the drivers mentioned would work for 8 smaller chips as well? Prolly run 4 on each.

I think realstyles is the only person ive heard to acquire DD.

I purchased 3590cd 72v from KB cduring the summer. they were $50 each. i run em at .7mA.

Dion

I'm comparing prices right now. What source has the fastest shipping out time? Looking at digikey.
Caught between the 4 cbx 3070s or 8 2540s/vero 10. Would come out to about the same price except the 3070s arent top bin. Im assuming the drivers mentioned would work for 8 smaller chips as well? Prolly run 4 on each.

location?

bins?

driver?

hard to give advice without info

surfsem

So far in my cart:
4 x CXB3070-0000-000N0HAB30G-ND $40 a piece
1 x hlg 185 c1400a $65
Shipping $18 2nd day air cuz I want to get started lol

All from mouser... digikey didnt have the meanwell.
Still looking at heatsink/fans.
Should I hit check out? :)

GoeRilla

So far in my cart:
4 x CXB3070-0000-000N0HAB30G-ND $40 a piece
1 x hlg 185 c1400a $65
Shipping $18 2nd day air cuz I want to get started lol

All from mouser... digikey didnt have the meanwell.
Still looking at heatsink/fans.
Should I hit check out? :)

Very good price compared to what i would have to pay in Europe after freight, Vat, and fee for collecting Vat.

Rilla.

surfsem

Bam. Ordered. I love this. Went from cfls to hps to wanting a mars then wanting a CLW then an Amare and now I'm building my own. All within 1 month LOL.

Now I'm searching for heat sink fans... I want to do 1 per cob. Thinking I can just mount those on some L brackets and call it a day.

Or should I mount the cobs on 1 large heat sink? I'd want to do fans with it as well still. Basically overkill heat management without the whole mounting on the ceiling thing, while still keeping costs down.

Not sure what the cob layout will be with a 36" x 20" tent... keep it square and only use 24 x 20 of my tent?
Although I did get a half- ok from the other 3/4 to upgrade to a 48 x 24 tent which I would split in half for mother and flower leaving a perfect 4 3070s on 1.4 for a 2x2 space... decisions decisions.

Lot of these cpu coolers I'm seeing say they come with thermal paste preinstalled or something along the lines. I want to do grease. Do I sense interference?

Thank you all

Dion

Bam. Ordered. I love this. Went from cfls to hps to wanting a mars then wanting a CLW then an Amare and now I'm building my own. All within 1 month LOL.

Now I'm searching for heat sink fans... I want to do 1 per cob. Thinking I can just mount those on some L brackets and call it a day.

Or should I mount the cobs on 1 large heat sink? I'd want to do fans with it as well still. Basically overkill heat management without the whole mounting on the ceiling thing, while still keeping costs down.

Not sure what the cob layout will be with a 36" x 20" tent... keep it square and only use 24 x 20 of my tent?
Although I did get a half- ok from the other 3/4 to upgrade to a 48 x 24 tent which I would split in half for mother and flower leaving a perfect 4 3070s on 1.4 for a 2x2 space... decisions decisions.

Lot of these cpu coolers I'm seeing say they come with thermal paste preinstalled or something along the lines. I want to do grease. Do I sense interference?

Thank you all

u forgot cob holders

use arctive apline 11 on le brackets like this because then u can easily move stuff around later if u need

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

or go to heatsink usa and pick smth up

in a 36" x 20" tent just do 4 in a row

u will want as much flower space as u can get so id go for a 36x24 flower space leaving 12x24 for veg (in a 48 x 24 )

the thermal interface on the alpine cpu coolers is decent but get some nail polish remover from the mrs to clean it off