What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Shulman

I am asking as full spectrum cobs they say are now can be used standalone unlike ones with all red or a ratio of blue and red

Dion

Dion what are your thoughts on full spectrum cobs(380-840nm)?

New to this understand most of it what I don't understand is the dimming.Do you use dimming to increase the life of chip?I must still try and understand binning and dimming changes the current of the driver

Thanks for the great thread!

I am asking as full spectrum cobs they say are now can be used standalone unlike ones with all red or a ratio of blue and red

hi shulman

i highly recomend full spec cobs as a stand alone- im talking about white cobs(thats what i recomend now days)

the thing to know about dimming is that we decrease the current to dim(the volts pretty much stay the same) so we are effectively running them softer-when u run them softer they are more efficient(better at converting electricity into light) when more lecky is turned to light less is turned to heat

so dimming is used to increase efficiency( lumens per watt) and with that comes less heat-less heat means less damage to cobs so they last longer

but dimming isnt needed-its a feature not a requirement
start by looking at your chip and figure out what current will give you good efficiency

so we use a lower current than recommended(far below max) to increase efficiency
binning is a way to measure luminous flux-higher binning=more lumens per watt

Shulman

Thanks for explaining dimming after I posted I saw you have explained binning and dimming
but I could not edit my post.

With full spectrum Cob i was talking about something like this

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/100W....92EFyd&ws_ab_test=201407_4,201444_6,201409_2

complete diy kit

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free....92EFyd&ws_ab_test=201407_4,201444_6,201409_2

Or will i be a lot better with cree?

I want to build a flower light so that is why I have been looking at 100w ones but should rather just build veg light first.

What would be good crees for veg the CXB1512 or CXB1816, a couple of those spread out if they are 22w and 34w?

Dion

oh i see-those r not good

the kit costs almost the same as it will with the best parts so a lot better with cree
and the chip is too expensive-shoudl pay 5 for that chip lol

i think i understand ur question better now-
the softer u drive cobs the better effciency

i suggest using the cxb3070 cobs for EU guys because the volts- drivers are hard to get

the 2530 is pretty good value and the 2540 is what i use for veg

i think if u tell me ur size and budget and location(EU?)i can help better

if u run those chips at that wattage its shit efficiency and u will cook them real fast

1512@22w=91 L/w 1816@34w=79 L/W (depending on binning) not good at all

BUt basically id get any of the 25xx series in 5000k or 6500k for veg

3070 3000-4000k for flower

Shulman

In Africa so same as Eu I think. Thats why i was looking for what I thought was a cheaper option but just going to have to save and maybe tech will be better in 3-4 months anyway.

Ok so the cree 2530 is maximum power 65w so you would look for 65w driver?Thats what I am confused about the concept of softly driving it would that mean getting a less then 65w driver so it would be underpowered.

Thanks

Dion

In Africa so same as Eu I think. Thats why i was looking for what I thought was a cheaper option but just going to have to save and maybe tech will be better in 3-4 months anyway.

Ok so the cree 2530 is maximum power 65w so you would look for 65w driver?Thats what I am confused about the concept of softly driving it would that mean getting a less then 65w driver so it would be underpowered.

Thanks

ok so u should try and order from china

underdrive/run it soft means (ur example)

cxb 2530 chip u4 binning

so max current=1.6A(amperes/1600mA)/ 62w

@ this current we get 7375 Lumens/118.8 L/w

better

run it at 850mA(.85A)

then we get 30w

4588 Lumens/ 148.5 L/w

so same chip run at dif current

total watts of driver isnt what we need to look at

look at the current and volts

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1...5v-30w-high-power-constant-current-led-driver

thsi is actully 890mmA and will run 1 of those chips

whats the import tax in africa like?

BUt i dont know what size yoru garden is so i cant really say what i think teh best chip will be

also if u want cheaper build then u sacrifice efficiency-if u want efficiency then its more expensive to build
usually half of the max current is the sweet spot for driving LEDs

Shulman

ok that makes sense now

not sure think import tax is maybe around 20 percent which is alot.

The idea is to replace a 600hps and that illuminates what 1.2m x 1.2m?

Dion

ok that makes sense now

not sure think import tax is maybe around 20 percent which is alot.

The idea is to replace a 600hps and that illuminates what 1.2m x 1.2m?

then probably just get it all from realstyle's one stop shop

and then get the pc cooler/heatsink combo local

so you need 12 chips(cxb 3070 or 3590)
3 drivers ( depending on which chip you want)
12 cob holders(get the ideal holders
thermal grease local pc shop and the pc coolers local

REALSTYLES

Yeah the drivers, Cobs and the holders and lenses if needed lol

So you convert a 600 w HPS by 600 w LED's ?

Waow ! It's plenty of light ! Results guaranteed !

REALSTYLES

Cree CXA3590's running them at 700ma dimmed to 350. It's per panel running at 186watts from the wall and no AC at

all
post-316297-0-97377400-1441497778.jpg

Dion

So you convert a 600 w HPS by 600 w LED's ?

Waow ! It's plenty of light ! Results guaranteed !

not exactly

i suggest 10 cobs in a 4x4 but 12 for uniformity and seen as he will use the dimmable driver can increase effeciency

probably around 500w

lol

Groove'nGraph

Dion

Just poking around, found this product. At 5 pcs x 100w each for 100$, this could be pretty cool. Dimmable, integrated drivers.

But how does one mount and cool these panels?

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/5pcs-100W-High-Bay-Light-PCB-Panel-Dimmable-SMD5730-Aluminum-Plate-AC-220v-Directly-Driverless-Integrated/1080577_32393809975.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...riverless-Integrated/1080577_32393809975.html

Love to hear anyone's thoughts

:fsu: