What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Yozzie

you shoudl estimate around 100 euro per cob for the finished prduct

you will need 34= 3400 euro so if you still wann go ahead i can help you more with exact parts

let me know and i hope this helped

MASSIVE help!

Thank you so much.

For a newbie, this thread has been fantastic information.
Your efforts are genuinely appreciated.

:woohoo:

solofoe

I have to agree with yozzie you're thread is good read i would definitely pass it along as a resource to any looking into diy. its a shame that it got a little polluted I meant the last post in good fun and I'm sorry if it is distracting from the thread topic. like the others have said thanks for an awesome thread dion.
:tiphat:

krood

i was just wondering if someone would clarify for me a little info about the 3070 series cobs. basically what is the difference between the cxb 3070 ab bin and the cxa ab bins? according to the spec sheet on mouser it shows that both cobs are rated at 8500 lm but the cxb series is a few dollars cheaper per chip. is this just because of inventory? or am i missing something? the other question i have is: is it worth paying 20 dollars more per chip to get the cxb 3070 ad bin cob? i am not totally sure of my footprint yet because i am trying to convince the missus to let me get a bigger tent but the tent i currently have is 6 square feet to play with. i have not looked into power supply yet, but i am sure I'm going to figure it out once i have the chips, like the instructions said a few pages back choose the chip, then the driver, then the heatsink. thank you guys in advance this thread is awesome and the main reason why i just joined icmag.

Dion

i was just wondering if someone would clarify for me a little info about the 3070 series cobs. basically what is the difference between the cxb 3070 ab bin and the cxa ab bins? according to the spec sheet on mouser it shows that both cobs are rated at 8500 lm but the cxb series is a few dollars cheaper per chip. is this just because of inventory? or am i missing something? the other question i have is: is it worth paying 20 dollars more per chip to get the cxb 3070 ad bin cob? i am not totally sure of my footprint yet because i am trying to convince the missus to let me get a bigger tent but the tent i currently have is 6 square feet to play with. i have not looked into power supply yet, but i am sure I'm going to figure it out once i have the chips, like the instructions said a few pages back choose the chip, then the driver, then the heatsink. thank you guys in advance this thread is awesome and the main reason why i just joined icmag.
hi

look at this

picture.php

so the dif @ 1400ma(curent) is a lil better eficiency( L per watt) BUT another huge advantage is the lower total voltage so you can run 4 on the HLG-185H-C1400

depending on how hard you plan to run them though(like if you wanna run them hard) you can just get the cxa(cxa=1st gen cxb=2nd gen)

i dont think it is worth paying 20 more for the ad bin because when you run at recomended current you only get an extra 400ish lumens-although that is an extra 10L per watt

look at this

picture.php

seen as you are concerned with price and because you have 6sq ft to play with id go for the cxb 3070ab ( 4 of them) so you can run them all on a HLG-185H-C1400 driver

then you would have about 4500L per sq ft-bit n the low side but a good start would work well in a 2.smth by 2.smth garden

krood

Thank you so much dion i really appreciate you taking the time and giving me a well thought out detailed answer

krood

Well i was thinking of buying a pack of ten, and then trying to push my space out to 8 square feet so i was thinking one cob per sq. foot, then id have extras for maybe a dedicated male chamber or something like that. That hlg-185h-c1400 driver you recommend is a perfect fit for running 4 cobs in parallel, so im sure to go with that thankyou. The only other thing i was thinking about was getting the dimmable version. Then i could adjust the power consumption and boost my efficiency if i would like to. I havent looked into this enough yet, but that would work right? Im pretty sure its called hlg-185h-c1400b

REALSTYLES

Well i was thinking of buying a pack of ten, and then trying to push my space out to 8 square feet so i was thinking one cob per sq. foot, then id have extras for maybe a dedicated male chamber or something like that. That hlg-185h-c1400 driver you recommend is a perfect fit for running 4 cobs in parallel, so im sure to go with that thankyou. The only other thing i was thinking about was getting the dimmable version. Then i could adjust the power consumption and boost my efficiency if i would like to. I havent looked into this enough yet, but that would work right? Im pretty sure its called hlg-185h-c1400b
Kinbrite has CXB3070 AD for $38.50 and it's not recommended by Cree to run them in parallel but it can be done. http://kingbriteled.en.alibaba.com/

No you run 4 cob's in series with that driver. They will have the same current and share the voltage.

krood

Ok i think i got it now, i went back a few pages and looked at the difference between series and parallel. I was imagining running the lights in series. One driver per four chips. I just got them mixed up. Would i actually be able to dim the driver myself if i got that model? What tools would i need to calculate how much power im drawing from the wall? Or would dimming the driver be a crazy undertaking and best left to a professional. I remember reading somewhere its usually a small screw that you adjust? Thanks for all your help guys. And thanks for the info realstyles ill look into it

REALSTYLES

Ok i think i got it now, i went back a few pages and looked at the difference between series and parallel. I was imagining running the lights in series. One driver per four chips. I just got them mixed up. Would i actually be able to dim the driver myself if i got that model? What tools would i need to calculate how much power im drawing from the wall? Or would dimming the driver be a crazy undertaking and best left to a professional. I remember reading somewhere its usually a small screw that you adjust? Thanks for all your help guys. And thanks for the info realstyles ill look into it
Kill-a-watt meter and if you get the Meanwell HLG-185H-xxxxA version you can easily dim manually with the screw

Dion

glad others could help(series not paralel)
as RS said get the B version so you can dim it with a screwdriver
sounds like a good plan yeah when u dim u boost effeciency

krood

Thanks guys ill be sure to get the a version. Besides looking on forums is there anywhere else you guys looked to learn info about electronics and lighting like this? Any books or anything like that

Dion

Thanks guys ill be sure to get the a version. Besides looking on forums is there anywhere else you guys looked to learn info about electronics and lighting like this? Any books or anything like that

BOOKS?!?!?! I think i read about those on the internet

check out the reef forums they are light years ahead of us when it comes to DIY led stuff

there was a guy here (oldguyinoregon)an electrical engineer was great to ask him stuff but he moved off this forum due to the... well some people r less interested in sharing and learning than showing off-nuff said

but you will be surprised how easy it is to rig up a beastly photon machine honestly

Shulman

Dion what are your thoughts on full spectrum cobs(380-840nm)?

New to this understand most of it what I don't understand is the dimming.Do you use dimming to increase the life of chip?I must still try and understand binning and dimming changes the current of the driver

Thanks for the great thread!

Latest posts

Latest posts