What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

CoCoSativas

why are you guys fucking up a helpful thread?

i didnt know europe has a import tax. thats fucked... we have that on major imports in canada, but for a couple items, thats exempt

REALSTYLES

why are you guys fucking up a helpful thread?

i didnt know europe has a import tax. thats fucked... we have that on major imports in canada, but for a couple items, thats exempt
No one is fucking up this thread the op is why did he call me a fuck head for no reason? Is he jealous or just hateful?

Dion

@Dion,

Why be silly fucking resentful asshole?

Realstyles is well known and unquestionably legit.

@goerilla nichia diodes have a very good rep

not a question of his legitamacy at all- i know he is legit
just that he can't answer ppls questions even in his own thread if it's not about the exact components he uses so i dont see what value he brings to this thread- u r probably right that im being a resentful asshole though

CoCoSativas

No one is fucking up this thread the op is why did he call me a fuck head for no reason? Is he jealous or just hateful?

you are perpetuating a farther arguement. why dont you start your own thread and maintain it rather than fuck around here? makes me think you are a bit of a fuckhead... lol you already have your own thread, go lurk in there. its pretty inmature trolling this one.

REALSTYLES

you are perpetuating a farther arguement. why dont you start your own thread and maintain it rather than fuck around here? makes me think you are a bit of a fuckhead... lol you already have your own thread, go lurk in there. its pretty inmature trolling this one.
Listen to what you just said and name calling really. If you read some post back Dion gave up on this thread he even stated it. I have a thread yes and I did give the info on how to make a light that will get you 1 gpw. I have a youtube grow journal right now that I post up every week and I'm on day 1 of week 4 Veg and next week I'll flip to flower and my goal is 12 plants 3lbs using 1116watts 744w in the 4x8 and 372 in the 4x4 tent.

CoCoSativas

Listen to what you just said and name calling really. If you read some post back Dion gave up on this thread he even stated it. I have a thread yes and I did give the info on how to make a light that will get you 1 gpw. I have a youtube grow journal right now that I post up every week and I'm on day 1 of week 4 Veg and next week I'll flip to flower and my goal is 12 plants 3lbs using 1116watts 744w in the 4x8 and 372 in the 4x4 tent.

im not name calling. im contemplating your attitude and concluding you MAY BE .........

yeah these threads are devolving into garbage im going to move on...

RealStyle, don't justify yourself, you give good advices and you know what you do. I'm very surprised by how this thread turns, it seems that if you've got a thread you can't answer on otherone's thread, what is this mentality ?

Fucking shit !?

REALSTYLES

RealStyle, don't justify yourself, you give good advices and you know what you do. I'm very surprised by how this thread turns, it seems that if you've got a thread you can't answer on otherone's thread, what is this mentality ?

Fucking shit !?
I'm so busy I forget to check my thread and I'm on 4 different forums this one is my step child lol. The thread I have is over it was to show you how to build a panel

But for ideal cob holder, i did not find anywhere but in the US. And this time, i did not pay tax, my invoice was $20 for the chip lok, $37 for shipping(sigh), so for $20, no tax.

Actually i just received an invoice to pay 21 € of VAT and custom tax just for $20 of chip lok.

It makes the ship lok very expensive.

Dion

Actually i just received an invoice to pay 21 € of VAT and custom tax just for $20 of chip lok.

It makes the ship lok very expensive.

unfortunatley they charge the tax and handling off the total order( shipping included) so it seems financially better to order larger orders( to get free shipping) then the total will be less

so you paid $57 for the chip lok then 21 euro tax

you could have ordered $100 worth of stuff(free shipping)
then pay probably about 40 euro tax -it still sucks i know

thank you for sharing your experience

i think at this time ordering the chip lok from kingbrite- getting him to put a lower vallue( ie $5) on the declaration and using china post is probably the best option for chiploks to the EU

mikejones425

What type of cable should you use? Stranded, non stranded, a specific gauge?

I have 18 gauge speaker wire (stranded aluminum for one wire and stranded copper for the other). Would this be okay to usebfor connecting cob to driver?

Yozzie

Dion,

Thanks for this thread.
It's been a real eye opener.

It's also given me additional headaches ... LOL.

I'm a long time lurker, on multiple forums, with an itchy purchase finger, wanting to pull the trigger ... but hesitating.

The amount if disinfo/info re: LED options is enough to make your head explode ... which is why I am so thankful for this thread!

I hate - with a passion - being ripped off.
I love 'bang for buck' and striving for quality ... an interesting combo, eh?

I'll make my first question an easy one.

I want to set up a 5' x 10' tent, for both veg and flower originally.
Can opting for the COB variants meet my grow space and veg/flower needs?

If so, where can I find a resource helping me decide how many, what size, etc, etc., for that size grow tent?

CAVEAT: I'm not a DIY'ers smegma ... can screw in a lightbulb, as long as I have a manual and training wheels ... but ... willing to 'give it a go' if there is a measurable trade-off.

Is this really something a DIY incompetent can do?

Oh ... and I'm in the EU.
From what I have read, that causes complications re: components.

Dion

Dion,

Thanks for this thread.
It's been a real eye opener.

It's also given me additional headaches ... LOL.

I'm a long time lurker, on multiple forums, with an itchy purchase finger, wanting to pull the trigger ... but hesitating.

The amount if disinfo/info re: LED options is enough to make your head explode ... which is why I am so thankful for this thread!

I hate - with a passion - being ripped off.
I love 'bang for buck' and striving for quality ... an interesting combo, eh?

I'll make my first question an easy one.

I want to set up a 5' x 10' tent, for both veg and flower originally.
Can opting for the COB variants meet my grow space and veg/flower needs?

If so, where can I find a resource helping me decide how many, what size, etc, etc., for that size grow tent?

CAVEAT: I'm not a DIY'ers smegma ... can screw in a lightbulb, as long as I have a manual and training wheels ... but ... willing to 'give it a go' if there is a measurable trade-off.

Is this really something a DIY incompetent can do?

Oh ... and I'm in the EU.
From what I have read, that causes complications re: components.

hi

will try to answer all ur questions

"I want to set up a 5' x 10' tent, for both veg and flower originally.
Can opting for the COB variants meet my grow space and veg/flower needs?"

yes they can- will it be cheap? no will it be awesome? yes will it be worth it? depends on the price of electricity in your location and how much heat you deal with and how many crops per year you do etc

5x10=50 sq ft- so seen as this is pretty big we will go for 1 cob per 1.5 sq ft to keep costs low= (33.3) 34 cobs= 1360 euro before shipping and tax just for the chips (digi key prices)

i recomend cob per sq ft for micro grows but that is approaching the point of saturation- cob per 1.5 sq ft is about on par with hps results( 36v version at 1400mA/72v at 700mA) so about 34 watts per sq ft( at that effeciency)

a diy incompetent can do this def not hard

"If so, where can I find a resource helping me decide how many, what size, etc, etc., for that size grow tent?"

this thread is a good resource for that info

because you are in the EU drivers will be a challenge to find at a decent price- however considering the size of this build you may just want to pay a premium and get the best rather than go the china way like i do- mouser has the drivers you need and they pay customs and shipping and vat and handling and etc so the price is all inclusive for us EU guys

EU doesnt cause any complications actually- just usually north american guys tell people to buy things that are not available in the eu or from sites that will kill us with tax and shipping when it arrives and so it gets tricky
do you have a conrad in your country?

they have the arctic 64 gt rev- i think for 10 euro( 1 per cob=340 euro) or you can order the bigger ones and greese from arctic's site

also they both have the grease you need

as recently discussed getting chip lok from china is a good option- also because this way you wont have to solder anything- you should look at arrow though as i think in that quantity you can order from thier site cheaply( chips and chip holders- probably grease and wires and other little things too)

have a look at this

https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=61627&pictureid=1461261

thats what you will build

you shoudl estimate around 100 euro per cob for the finished prduct

you will need 34= 3400 euro so if you still wann go ahead i can help you more with exact parts

let me know and i hope this helped

Latest posts

Latest posts