What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

Nice. I see you were able to find the Ideal brand holders for your COB's.

Yeah ! I had to go to Arrow shop, and i paid more for delivery than for the holders. But that's life !

Anyway i get ideas to upgrade the chinese led panel with great led's. Just keep everything but the led's, it's 300 mA so i've got to find a (BIG) led for that current.

Very interesting job indeed

donbronzi

Dion.

First, thank you so much for your knowledge, it is appreciated...

I have a 120cm x 120cm room with 4 80 hans panels in at present, i want to increase the total lumens in the room and am thinking about adding 3 x cbx3070 chips. I feel that if i do this i can add another 3 every month or so until i have 9 which should be enough to power the room and move the hans panels to another room.

I am getting bogged down with choice, seems i have too much when it comes to the extra components.

I am based in the UK could you tell me what heatsink/cooling, chip holder, power supply would be best to use?

Thanks again for a most informative thread!

Dion

Dion.

First, thank you so much for your knowledge, it is appreciated...

I have a 120cm x 120cm room with 4 80 hans panels in at present, i want to increase the total lumens in the room and am thinking about adding 3 x cbx3070 chips. I feel that if i do this i can add another 3 every month or so until i have 9 which should be enough to power the room and move the hans panels to another room.

I am getting bogged down with choice, seems i have too much when it comes to the extra components.

I am based in the UK could you tell me what heatsink/cooling, chip holder, power supply would be best to use?

Thanks again for a most informative thread!

i woudl use arctic alpine 11 plus or other cpu cooler and keep it moduler and cheap/ light wieght

you can buy direct or from ebay-local computer shops shoudl have them- because the heatsink will cost a lot to ship its way cheaper local

http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/cooling/cpu.html?dir=desc&order=price

or

http://www.bal-group.com/heatsinks

power suplies will be cheaper from china(1 per cob) but you can do

http://www.reichelt.de/LED-Treiber/...TION=3&GROUPID=6581&ARTICLE=148065&OFFSET=16&

these guys r in the EU-dunno about how taxes work in the UK- u guys are in the shrengren zone but not the euro zone... dunno
but u couldl run 4 off that

cobs id buy from digikey

http://www.digikey.co.uk/product-se...=1&stock=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

cob holders seen as there has been headache lately with the ones from digi (scroll back)u can try kingbrite( realstyle's buddy) and ask for china post shipping not DHL

GoeRilla

For us who live in Europe i think that it is cheaper to buy the cobs at leds.de because of the tax from import from outside Europe.
They also sell an interesting japanese cob named Nichia.

Rilla.

REALSTYLES

For us who live in Europe i think that it is cheaper to buy the cobs at leds.de because of the tax from import from outside Europe.

Rilla.
Wrong kingbrite is the cheapest around and they keep the top bin always I even have some 6500k DD bin go and try to find them, they would be $88 each not $51

GoeRilla

Wrong kingbrite is the cheapest around and they keep the top bin always I even have some 6500k DD bin go and try to find them, they would be $88 each not $51

If i buy from outside EU i have to pay 25% vat plus an extra fee for the post.

Rilla.

Dion

Rilla.

If i buy from outside EU i have to pay 25% vat plus an extra fee for the post.

Rilla.

dont bother listening to realstyles he is an ignorant fuck-head

yes tax is a huge consideration in the EU
u can buy from within the EU but the binning i have seen arnt very good at all

or u can buy from mouser as they pay taxes and handling but agian the binning/prices arnt the best(last i checked about a month ago)

digikey is still a decent option because they have fair prices and good binning but as discussed in lenth you will need to paay taxes

REALSTYLES

dont bother listening to realstyles he is an ignorant fuck-head

yes tax is a huge consideration in the EU
u can buy from within the EU but the binning i have seen arnt very good at all

or u can buy from mouser as they pay taxes and handling but agian the binning/prices arnt the best(last i checked about a month ago)

digikey is still a decent option because they have fair prices and good binning but as discussed in lenth you will need to paay taxes
I'm a fuck head you're the one who leads people to get the wrong stuff. You being cheap and all. Have you even check to see what the shipping would be? I'm not gonna go there with you. I have bought over 150 cobs from them all top bin that mouser and Digikey don't have in stock. I have helped people in France buy from KingBrite as well as people from the UK

REALSTYLES

I'm an ignorant fuck head

2566767-7b266506b403a4d820969c91c9a09726.jpg

Rilla.

I just bought from lumitronix.fr (but they are german) a few Nichia COB's the 036, a 20W led with great efficiency, which i willl drive at 300mA, so 10W, to upgrade my cheap led panel.

But for ideal cob holder, i did not find anywhere but in the US. And this time, i did not pay tax, my invoice was $20 for the chip lok, $37 for shipping(sigh), so for $20, no tax.

littlejacob

Bonjour
I confirm what REALSTYLE said.I am from France and he advice me to buy from KB.I bought the Cree cxb 3590 36V 3500K CD X4 and ideal holders X4 it cost me with shipping and PayPal tax 205€
I wait for my order and I will let you know if I will have to pay for vat or anything else...I took china post option 10$ so it is going to be longer than ups or dhl,but I made many order on aliexpress using this method and I never paid any tax! This time it is alibaba,but everything is in an envelope, so I hope I will find it in my mailbox and end of the story...
About REALSTYLE,I do like to thank him again for the good 'advices he gave me since a few months now!
And for the quality of kb's cobs,I believe that a well know member of riu test almost all of them,and said that they are legit.
Have a great day™

REALSTYLES

Bonjour
I confirm what REALSTYLE said.I am from France and he advice me to buy from KB.I bought the Cree cxb 3590 36V 3500K CD X4 and ideal holders X4 it cost me with shipping and PayPal tax 205€
I wait for my order and I will let you know if I will have to pay for vat or anything else...I took china post option 10$ so it is going to be longer than ups or dhl,but I made many order on aliexpress using this method and I never paid any tax! This time it is alibaba,but everything is in an envelope, so I hope I will find it in my mailbox and end of the story...
About REALSTYLE,I do like to thank him again for the good 'advices he gave me since a few months now!
And for the quality of kb's cobs,I believe that a well know member of riu test almost all of them,and said that they are legit.
Have a great day™
Thanks Jacob I do appreciate you standing up for me and you were the one from France I was talking about:tiphat: