What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest in October! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED FAQ) Building and DIY

REALSTYLES

And what about the thermal paste? Do we need a lot ? I've got 3.5g only. How much do you put per cob?
about .4 to .5 well less because you are using 3070's I have 3590's lol you should have enough it doesn't require a thick layer just a nice even thin layer works.

Dion

From France, when i pay in euros on internet, i guess it's a european website, inside the euro zone. And when it's not written prices excluding VAT, i anderstand that it's the total price for me, final customer. And when the pic shows 2 pieces, they have to send 2 pieces and not only one, else, what's the use of the pic ? For that they are not honnest, they bet in our weakness, and they are not alone.

But let's stop fighting, i've got every thing except the fans (and the holders) to build a 1 meter wide 200 watts led growlight, i can't wait...

From china, it took less than 2 weeks to arrive, with 27 euros (for a $99 order) of VAT and zoll taxes, that's correct, i paid in dollars when i ordered, not in euros, so it's no surprise for me.

The heat sinks are quite heavy, thick, 100x15X5 cm and took 12 days inside France, ROFLMAO

Yes Dion, i bought the CREE LED's on digikey also, and i talked to them. They say that because the qty field is preset to 2 when you arrive on the item page, it's clear that it's 2 items for a COB, they are not sorry at all, i bought 12 cob and 6 paires of holders, that's not weird for them anyway. But these holders are too finicky to set on the sink. I should drill at 12.88 mm from the center of the COB, 12,88 mm +_ 0.05, LOL, how is it possible to do that ?

That's why i ask if it is possible to stick the cob on the sink, and solder the wires to the corners. I see that the COB is in plastic, soldering must be done very quick and well, but i don't want to damage a $40 component.

u can attach the holder to the chip- put it on the sink-then mark the spot to drill thats what i do

you can use kapton tape if u like

the soldering is not that hard

goodluck

i will not post in this thread unless im asked to

hopefully luvshrooms and RS can keep helping others

The problem is that i can't attach the holder to the chip, it's very tiny, and the chip can be damaged very easily. I bought some ideal chip lok, i ordered the fan's and the 12 vdc power supply.

Now i'm thinking about the drivers. I think i will place the 8 drivers in an alu chassis, with main female plug, a fuse holder, and maybe a switch on/off but i'm not sure. From the chassis there will be 8 + wires going to the cob's + pole, and only one - connected to the chassis on one side, and connected to the 8 - poles of the 8 cobs. Common ground, like in a car, is it okay ? I could also connect the 8 - cob poles to the heatsinks via a screw, and connect the heat sinks to the chassis via only one wire. As it is direct current, it shoud work, no ?

The chassis with the drivers is outside the tent, and a thread of 9 wires go into the tent to the light.. That's how i see the thing ...

is it okay ?

indole

Binning is just a process of measuring the output of the LEDs at set conditions and then grouping based on the results. Most common binning is for lumen output but manufacturers will also bin for colour reproducibility like CRI.

REALSTYLES

@Dion don't get frustrated it's hard to give the right info. Don't be down if a suggestion goes bad for someone. It happens no need for not replying to the thread you started

Dion

@Dion don't get frustrated it's hard to give the right info. Don't be down if a suggestion goes bad for someone. It happens no need for not replying to the thread you started

im not concerned about the chip holder thing is thats what u mean-
he should have checked it was the right quantity- digi doesnt pay tax as i said and attaching them aint that hard

i dont want to argue with every cyber goon who wants to challenge me- ive already said that i have a basic knowledge of this field and typed up the intro to give an overview- finding parts is hard especiallly in europe- honestly i just cant be bothered answering questions that have been answered in those first few posts

plus ur pretty much a total ignorant **** and i cant be fuct dealing with you seen as i only started this thread to help people learn to fish rather than give them a fish type thing and the mods here dont seem to care that you are a well know troll on other sites and act like a spastic crack whore with the rubbish you spew and multiple posts to prove you are worthy of attention its too sad and not worth my time

i wrote this thread as i saw a major lack of knowledge base on this forum regarding led construction and hoped to fill it in a bit and wished that others would help

instead we will listen to your bile and ignorance with your single anthem chant which is"buy from the guy i buy from, build the panel i build" regardless of unique circumstances or geographic location or the fact that we dont all have $ to piss away

Last edited:

REALSTYLES

Hey RS,

How do you feel about adding uva uvb to cob bars?
I have never used them so I can't give you any info but my opinion and I don't use them at all do to the fact you only need uv for like 20 minutes a day around noon I think. Just add some far red mono's to the bar with it's on driver so week 4 of flower you turn them on. If you want more resin production. Just my opinion :tiphat:

I 've almost finished my build, at least one heat sink with 4 cob's, it works, but i did not let it light too long. i have to test it with the fans to see how it gets in temperature with time. I put very little thermal paste, and a question ? Do you screw strong on the cob holder, or gently ?

REALSTYLES

I 've almost finished my build, at least one heat sink with 4 cob's, it works, but i did not let it light too long. i have to test it with the fans to see how it gets in temperature with time. I put very little thermal paste, and a question ? Do you screw strong on the cob holder, or gently ?
not too strong just enough to know it's tight too strong and you will bend the COB holder lol. I did it so not too strong

I'm amazed by the low heat of the cree led's, for 50 or 60 w, they are not so hot and can be as close as 30 cm from the canopy, i think. What do you think RS ?

So my first bar is over, there are 4 wires + the 12v supply for the fans that go outside the tent, that's not very practical.
Next one will be with only 2 but more powerfull drivers set onto the heat sink, as the fans. 2 cobs in // for one driver, we don't reach high voltages like this, and it's not expensive in china.

I will try this bar in a tent where the plants have been in 12/12 under chinese led's for 2 weeks(the growth is terrible by the way) i should see a big progress. But i have to check for the heat of the heat sink in a tent.

I'll try to post a few pics later, thanks to those who have helped me in this build.

here is my led bar

Attachments

• IMG10085.jpg
    IMG10085.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG10086.jpg
    IMG10086.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG10087.jpg
    IMG10087.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG10088.jpg
    IMG10088.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 19
After 12 hours of light, the heat sink is warm, not hot, i can touch it and don't burn myself, so i'm happy. The plants look better, and the temp inside the tent is lower than with less power of chinese led's

Latest posts

Latest posts