What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

LED and BUD QUALITY

kro-magnon

Veteran
One of the main difference I've found growing with LED compared to HPS is the water intake and nutrients level I had to adjust because of that. I've had to lower the quantity of water given at each watering but also lower the number of waterings in a week.
With the HPS grow I was giving 1L of water for a 10/12L pot 3 times a week with lower doses of nutrients than the charts of the brand prescribed, I had good result with this method for years.
With my LED grows I had to re-learn to water my plants, it has not been easy to lose my old habits but now after 1.5 year using LED I have a better understanding of my plants need. I had to up the nutrients level of my waterings by a good % and lower the numbers of watering by week.
Water and nutrients intake is one of the major point of quality buds as well as the light and environment, I'd like to know how other LED growers are feeding their plants to see if I can learn some new stuff. I have for years used General Organics line who is now Terra Aquatica in Europe but it's the same quality product, I like this line but for my last run I've tried Aptus who allow to separate each elements, it's very useful but I need more grows to know if it makes better buds or not, so far I'm not conviced.

I Care

Please ignore my neglect, got my hands full but it’s starting to bulk up now. It’s been warm and humid in there and as suggested I added a little light to see what it can do for the larf at the bottom.

I think it’s really important to stay right at that 1200-1300ppm from early flowering and keep nutrient solution constantly available in the substrate; When growing LED.
FullSizeRender.jpeg

IMG_1063.jpeg

Rocket Soul

One of the main difference I've found growing with LED compared to HPS is the water intake and nutrients level I had to adjust because of that. I've had to lower the quantity of water given at each watering but also lower the number of waterings in a week.
With the HPS grow I was giving 1L of water for a 10/12L pot 3 times a week with lower doses of nutrients than the charts of the brand prescribed, I had good result with this method for years.
With my LED grows I had to re-learn to water my plants, it has not been easy to lose my old habits but now after 1.5 year using LED I have a better understanding of my plants need. I had to up the nutrients level of my waterings by a good % and lower the numbers of watering by week.
Water and nutrients intake is one of the major point of quality buds as well as the light and environment, I'd like to know how other LED growers are feeding their plants to see if I can learn some new stuff. I have for years used General Organics line who is now Terra Aquatica in Europe but it's the same quality product, I like this line but for my last run I've tried Aptus who allow to separate each elements, it's very useful but I need more grows to know if it makes better buds or not, so far I'm not conviced.
My advice for led nutes qnd coco: obviously a bit higher than usual, especially when up-potting: weve run 3 EC on our freshly up potted plants with fairly normal run off. It helps to get your fresh coco pot a bit better buffered.

kro-magnon

Veteran
My advice for led nutes qnd coco: obviously a bit higher than usual, especially when up-potting: weve run 3 EC on our freshly up potted plants with fairly normal run off. It helps to get your fresh coco pot a bit better buffered.
I don’t use coco as substrate, usually I grow in soil mix made for canna like House&Garden BatMix or some light mix from Mills where l add some dry amendments

Last edited:

PlastikeRubba

100 dollars to anyone who can get Bruce Bugbee to stop blaming Zinc deficiency on red light.

I offered 1000 to force him to admit plants absorb zwitterionic organic salts. Seems the conspiracy against quality Marijuana is larger than I thought. The fan boys are in on it.

Still no nutrient experts in the Cannabis scene? Only light meter salesmen? Someone please post the PAR readings for a meanwell powered 120 watt 188 diode panel at 18" so every new grower can have this data without buying light meters please.

Rocket Soul

100 dollars to anyone who can get Bruce Bugbee to stop blaming Zinc deficiency on red light.

I offered 1000 to force him to admit plants absorb zwitterionic organic salts. Seems the conspiracy against quality Marijuana is larger than I thought. The fan boys are in on it.

Still no nutrient experts in the Cannabis scene? Only light meter salesmen? Someone please post the PAR readings for a meanwell powered 120 watt 188 diode panel at 18" so every new grower can have this data without buying light meters please.

Problem here is that Bugbees research is based on 660nm red peaks; he then generalized this as "red light" as if all reds are the same. Which they are not.

Orange's Greenhouse

Problem here is that Bugbees research is based on 660nm red peaks; he then generalized this as "red light" as if all reds are the same. Which they are not.
What do you expect? A 4 minute clip necessitates simplification.

Give it a few years and the research topics get more specialized. Red light will be split into more subcatogories, small waveband emitters will be compared to wide band emission etc. Science is slow.

Latest posts

Latest posts