What's new
  • ICMag and The Vault are running a NEW contest! You can check it here. Prizes are seeds & forum premium access. Come join in!

This and that

mike-or-ozzy

Thanks Tim, I know that you know wood, when I get my camera skills back, I have some canes and other carvings to show you, keep making chips buddy.

Timj

Thanks Tim, I know that you know wood, when I get my camera skills back, I have some canes and other carvings to show you, keep making chips buddy.
I look forward to seeing your canes and other carvings. I didn't seal the bottoms of the legs yet because I ran out of linseed oil and didn't want to use the green AnchorSeal end grain sealer I use for my lumber milling. That tends to stain about 1/2" deep in cottonwood. Thanks and you keep chipping away too my friend.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like fun. Will be a nice table to have around. My ex-father in law used to make all kinds of cool stuff with wood. Made a few tables whittling down for pegs and piecing it together. A one piece table is just awesome. Great work! Will be good for packing pipes or vapes. :smoke:

Timj

Looks like fun. Will be a nice table to have around. My ex-father in law used to make all kinds of cool stuff with wood. Made a few tables whittling down for pegs and piecing it together. A one piece table is just awesome. Great work! Will be good for packing pipes or vapes. :smoke:
Thanks @pipeline . I made a pegged legged bench a few years back when a Ash tree was killed by emerald ash borer beetles. So I'm familiar with that technique as well. I always wanted to try chainsaw carving. I used the bark from this very large tree as mulch for all my gardens. There is still a lot of bark left to mulch. Cottonwood burns very fast so it's good for starting a fire but not as a main fuel source. I try to harvest as much as I can so the tree lives on in another way.

Timj

I roughed out another seat today. This one is 21" in diameter and 16" high.
20240910_162316.jpg

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You're a talented sculpture artist! A friend of mine has a couple bears and a 10-15 ft carving that says welcome with a fish on the end. Will have to get pics. He is going to be growing some of my Sativa Candy Chunk F15 and I gave him some testers.

Timj

You're a talented sculpture artist! A friend of mine has a couple bears and a 10-15 ft carving that says welcome with a fish on the end. Will have to get pics. He is going to be growing some of my Sativa Candy Chunk F15 and I gave him some testers.
Thanks pipeline. But, I don't consider myself artistic. I've never used the chainsaw to carve before. I made a branch,chair and two gnomes so far. I have carved several wood spirits using a rotary hand carver. I've also made some spoons using the same rotary tool. But, that is about all my carving experience. Oh yeah, I did carve a few small wooden boxes I've made using hand carving tools. Now that my old memory is coming back. I've also carved a few walking sticks.

That welcome carving sounds cool. F15 ? Do you still see traits from both parent plants?

mike-or-ozzy

Really nice @Timj, you're cranking em out. I have an electric (corded) chainsaw for hogging out but it makes it very easy to ruin a piece of wood trying to get too close so that you won't need to chip away as much, haahaa. I've seen gnomes and things that have their knuckles on the top edge like they're climbing out. Check out Fred Cogelow if you've never heard of him.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Pretty slick. Getting better! Practice makes perfect. Just have to try, I see some talent there...Takes experience too, but you are making progress in woodworking skills!

Yeah the Sativa Candy Chunk has some of the original phenotype characteristics, its neat, but have also found some better individuals down the line. In 2017 found the Satica Candy Chunk original phenotypes and started planting more and selecting for those traits, but had to keep it in the mix to avoid bottlenecking the genetics. Made it stronger than the parent plants!

Timj

Really nice @Timj, you're cranking em out. I have an electric (corded) chainsaw for hogging out but it makes it very easy to ruin a piece of wood trying to get too close so that you won't need to chip away as much, haahaa. I've seen gnomes and things that have their knuckles on the top edge like they're climbing out. Check out Fred Cogelow if you've never heard of him.
I have a Stihl MS310 for hogging the big chunks off and a MS170 for the details. I ordered a smaller bar for the MS170 so I should be able to make tighter curves. I wasn't willing to pay $110 for the Stihl dime bar so I'm hoping the one I ordered will work. I used to have a corded electric for cutting bowl blanks inside during the winter months. But, I gave it away. I'll check out Fred Cogelow. Thanks mike-or-ozzy.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How do you store your flower, you said you had some that was over a year old? I usually rotate it after a year because it gets stale.

Do you burp the jars during storage? I am going to experiment this year. Thought about even trying oxygen absorbers.

Timj

How do you store your flower, you said you had some that was over a year old? I usually rotate it after a year because it gets stale.

Do you burp the jars during storage? I am going to experiment this year. Thought about even trying oxygen absorbers.
I no longer burp once the bud has been cured. I store mine in canning jars with 58% rh boveda humidity packs. The jars are then stored inside a taped closed cardboard box and placed in a cool dark place.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Do you leave headspace for the Boveda packs?

I used Boveda for the first time last year and they worked great. I took a layer of flowers out of the top of the jars to allow some airspace for the boveda to work in. Is that what you did, or were the jars completely packed with no headspace?

Latest posts

Latest posts